• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zankyou no Terror 01
So I finished all my work and finally got around to watching this. I'm always down for a Watanabe joint and this looks like it would be at least as good as previous works. An interesting premise about domestic terrorism and from the perspective of the terrorists too, which is really not a thing now that I think about it. Animation is good as always with his works. Artstyle is going for a more muted color scheme that gives of a sense of foreboding. Characters are great, I await the next episode to find out why they are resorting to terrorism. All is all a great show.

Can I just say that Thursday has a monopoly on quality works this season. God Damn!

I'm never gonna see what people see in those first few episodes lol

Well keep in mind that most people who watched SAO probably don't remember that .Hack is a thing, so to them the idea of "trapped in an MMO" is brand new idea, and started watching it because it was doing something "new".

I mean if you guys can't recognise true best girl greatness I'm sorry for you.

sure, she's crazy, but that's why she's awesome. She's funny and crazy and hot and Yui Horie does a wonderful job with her VO.

However, I will also accept 2D-kun as best girl/best bro. Especially for what he did for Banri.

Fucking RESPECT.

Barakamon 2

Still the best anime airing right now. Perfect slice of life comedy. Wonderful characters, great setting, incredibly funny, real character growth, wonderful OP and ED of the season.

You owe it to yourselves to be watching this. Just bloody fantastic.

If it keeps up this form, it'll go down as one of my favourites of all time.

I will certainly do so once FUNimation finally makes the streams available. I need more Ono Daisuke after marathoning my Minami-ke BDs last week,

Also Chinami was a terrible character.

She was the Onodera of Golden Time. A useless character with no reason to exist.

At least Onodera got a KanaHana VO I guess. Although that's wasted talent.

I will certainly do so once FUNimation finally makes the streams available. I need more Ono Daisuke after marathoning my Minami-ke BDs last week,

If you use Hola unblocker and set Crunchyroll to Spain or something you can watch it. Just make sure to choose the English subtitles.

Frog-fu

Banned
Golden Time is abysmal. Sincerely regret watching it. I thought it was a one cour anime and I was bored, then decided to just stick with it since I was 12 episodes in already. Big mistakes. In retrospect it was just a waste of time.

Chariot

Ha. Seems to be a moment where my opinion is radically different from the Anime GAF consens. Maybe it hits me more because I had a kind of girlfriend that was like this. But I think I would've been creeped out by Koko even before I had that unfortunate relationship.
She just seems so fake and needy, without actual hobbys in her life. Just taking on her current victims hobbys.

Golden Time is abysmal. Sincerely regret watching it. I thought it was a one cour anime and I was bored, then decided to just stick with it since I was 12 episodes in already. Big mistakes. In retrospect it was just a waste of time.

tumblr_mwiiz4m1cD1sopmy4o1_500.gif

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 6

Alice can be pretty weird, even though she's kind-hearted. And Maa-kun is a funny looking cat. Even moreso than President Aria.

fertygo

Ha. Seems to be a moment where my opinion is radically different from the Anime GAF consens. Maybe it hits me more because I had a kind of girlfriend that was like this. But I think I would've been creeped out by Koko even before I had that unfortunate relationship.
She just seems so fake and needy, without actual hobbys in her life. Just taking on her current victims hobbys.

There is like only one guy that arguing with you bro.

Frog-fu

Banned
I could use some advice here.

I really loved Eureka Seven (though the alternate reality film is fucking terrible) and I've been considering watching Eureka Seven AO. I'm hesitant because I've heard it's pretty bad by comparison and a disappointment to E7 fans.

So, should I bother or just not watch it and save myself time and disappointment?

tumblr_inline_n091t8fWBL1rzxnww.gif

cajunator

Banned
I could use some advice here.

I really loved Eureka Seven (though the alternate reality film is fucking terrible) and I've been considering watching Eureka Seven AO. I'm hesitant because I've heard it's pretty bad by comparison and a disappointment to E7 fans.

So, should I bother or just not watch it and save myself time and disappointment?

tumblr_inline_n091t8fWBL1rzxnww.gif

Unless you loooooove Chiaki Omigawa enough to watch a terrible show then I would advise staying away.

Blusby

But I was kidding!

Guys?

Guys!?

;_;
I'm glad, I almost felt a sense of betrayal for a moment there.

Watching the last two Golden episodes of Golden Time, except now I'm watching it at 1.77x speed 'cause I mean, why prolong the suffering? This is amplifying the already unintentionally comedic melodrama scenes to whole new heights.

Frog-fu

Banned
Everyone I've talked to who has seen it told me it's pretty awful, not even duckroll likes it.

Unless you loooooove Chiaki Omigawa enough to watch a terrible show then I would advise staying away.

I think I'll just pass on it. At least for now. There's plenty of stuff to watch. I might read a synopsis if I don't end watching it just to get an idea what it's about.

cajunator

Banned
my theory is that fanbases can hit a kind of critical mass where enough people are constantly discovering a show for the first time and are locked in initial novel hype (alongside a core guard of hardcore long-stayers who are still in love with the series) that you end up with an endless cycle of people who are like 'this is cool'

yeah some fanbases are popular enough that there is a consistent stream of new viewers and fans to give new perspectives and fandom. It is self perpetuating after a while.

Hanayamata 1

This is cute, charming, and amusing. It does a good job of making Hana and yosakoi dancing seem magical. (Well, except for Hana's last name. Nothing magical about "Fountainstand". Silly half-foreigners in anime/manga.) It is a little too melodramatic at times, especially with Naru's tearful personality, so I hope that gets toned down in future episodes. I could do with a little bit less digital effects too, but it's not as overdone as Nerawareta Gakuen.

This show is reallllllly enjoyable. Very beautiful visually and musically. Almost magical.

Jarmel

Banned
Making of Little Witch Academia Documentary-
So I've been meaning to watch this for the longest time but never got around to it. The video was much longer than I expected. Sort of funny that the documentary is over twice as long as the actual film. Anyway this was a really good look not only at the animation process but also things such as the Anime Mirai program and also Trigger as a studio. The narrator for the video was Noriko Hidaka which made me realize that Shiny Chariot and the teacher had the same VA. I pretty much figured they were the same person but I didn't realize till I was watching the documentary that they also had the same VA. I'm not a huge seiyuu person so I didn't pick up on that.
http://a.pomf.se/obmoyf.webm
So I really liked about the documentary was when they set up the cameras to film both Yuji Kaneko and Yoh Yoshinari when they were working. For Kaneko(the background art director for LWA and KLK), the thing that struck me was how fast he was. I saw him paint live at Animazement 2014 in a similar fashion and man does he pump out these gorgeous background pieces. One thing I'm not overly familiar about is whether he's an exception in how he does the background art (by using paints,watercolors, on paper) as everything looks so heavily digitized. So much background art nowadays really looks subpar or that it was an afterthought but Kaneko has a really distinctive style that carries through to the final product. Both LWA and KLK stand out much more due to his phenomenal background work. Also something that struck me while I was going through the animator list was that Studio Pablo was involved with the background work for LWA and KLK. I remember Kaneko saying at Animazement that he hand-picked the background artists so I'm wondering if the same guys that worked on KLK at Pablo, worked on LWA. Anyway it was nice that the documentary showed Kaneko in action as it worked for a good contrast compared to how slow the animators were going.
http://a.pomf.se/zjazzy.webm
So apparently Yoshinari Animation is an actual term. Dude is stern as fuck. It was actually sort of weird seeing him interact with Imaishi at the beginning. Imaishi was a lot more normal than I expected considering the shows he puts out. He's also seemingly more relaxed compared to Yoshinari who just reminds me of Japanese businessmen, in that he doesn't joke around. Yoshinari at Animazement had stated that his personality was similar to Diana's and after watching the documentary, I believe him. I mean even at Animazement, I got the sense that he was a very serious person but I thought he might be more relaxed at the studio. Nope. I gotta imagine that he was a huge fan of Satsuki. No mercy whatsoever in his criticism seemingly. I did find the stuff he pointed out such as the movement in Akko's back and camerawork position to be good although some of the later criticisms, such as the magic show opening, were a bit beyond me.
ibgzn1ggTrKezL.jpg

iD6oIYvLoiOVC.jpg

GOD DAMN!
Anyway the documentary takes the viewer through most of the making progress from early animation to the finished work. I'm already somewhat well versed in the making process but I hadn't seen how tedious the douga corrections are(17,000+ to go through) and also the post production stuff done at Sanzigen Animation Studio, who is in the same building as Trigger. Speaking of physical space, it was interesting to note that Trigger went from smaller floor space to this much more spacious floor part of the way through the documentary. Looking back, I'm guessing this was when they were starting to ramp up for their KLK production and obviously were bringing more people on board for the show.
http://a.pomf.se/zjavve.webm
So how can I talk about the documentary without talking about the animators. I didn't know the animators had to go through so many hoops for the Mirai process but I'm not surprised either as government money usually have these stupid stipulations involved. I do think some of the stuff that the Mirai program made them do such as taking cameras and go photograph stuff, is beneficial; so I think the extracurricular stuff probably did make them better animators. Having the animators watch the other components of the animation process such as editing and voice acting work also allows them to appreciate their own roles and work more. So all the fresh meat seem to be coming over from Gainax and none of them were complete newbies to the process although it seems like the animation process for LWA was especially hard, possibly due to Yoshinari's high standards. So much of the documentary was them struggling to complete stuff and Yoshinari sending it back to them for further corrections. I honestly don't know how people work in this industry as the work itself is patience-trying but then after all of that, you get shit on and have to do it again. All of this for entertainment purposes too. I mean one guy was saying he came in early because he left early the previous day. What time did he leave early yesterday you ask? 2 AM. Holy shit. The scary thing is that LWA's production wasn't that far behind and then you hear about Kill La Kill and how that was a literal hell. I can't begin to imagine how soul crushing, and tired, everybody must have been after KLK's final episode had aired. I mean look at this:
You have everybody sleeping in the office and this was for an OVA that might have been a bit behind but I doubt it was as down to the wire as KLK's was. What was especially rough for me to watch when the cameraman tried to go through the garbage of one of the animators to see what he had done, and the animator sort of snapped at him and said it was garbage and not to touch it. You could see through the documentary how the young animators were starting to unravel near the end.
I'm really not sure that Yoshinari enjoyed this project. It seems he very much likes the IP itself but the process in of itself seemed to be heavily leaning on him to due corrections after corrections. So when he stated earlier this year that he would be able to use more experienced animators for LWA2, I have a strong hunch that he was very happy about that. I really hope they do future documentaries such as one for LWA2 as I find stuff like this informational and it's always nice seeing the work behind projects that you love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom