• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried reading the manga a few months back but was put off by the terrible readability of the translation, which clearly needed another pass by an editor or at least a native English speaker. I am hoping that, when I get around to watching the anime, the translation is more coherent...
Well the anime definitely has decently written subs. Don't know if translation in manga has been as smoothly.

cajunator

Banned
Oh infinitely better. Like I said the characters make the show. I expect a lot of people here to start reading the manga after the show.

I wonder if it's 1 or 2 cour. I think there's enough chapters for 2 but don't know if it's popular enough for it.

Considering how much I enjoyed the pilot episode Im really looking forward to it. Sakura isnt ditzy but shes very exciteable and self aware. Just really adorable in contrast with Nozaki's reserved nature.

fertygo

Are we watching the same show? The battles actually have actual movement now rather than the blinding flashes of the previous anime. What they've really simplified are the character designs (which seem to get even less detailed during combat movement), not the animation itself.

Bah I should really make .gif from eps 1 after watching back then, too bad I lost motivation halfway..

But I'm sure I'm not wrong judging the animation hilariously bad for any fight, we're not even talking about loose style sakuga here(like from Yuasa's anime), they're just awfully low budget. A la that infamous .gif from Soul Eater Not

Previous Basara's anime isn't exactly filled with sakuga, but the short and brief cut technique is usually have enough detail to leave impression, the action structured very similar to some mecha show in that sense. But still I don't necessarily agree if you saying the fight merely showing blinding flash either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcdh5MTJe00

mankoto

Making of Little Witch Academia Documentary-

I honestly don't know how people work in this industry as the work itself is patience-trying but then after all of that, you get shit on and have to do it again. All of this for entertainment purposes too. I mean one guy was saying he came in early because he left early the previous day. What time did he leave early yesterday you ask? 2 AM. Holy shit. The scary thing is that LWA's production wasn't that far behind and then you hear about Kill La Kill and how that was a literal hell. I can't begin to imagine how soul crushing, and tired, everybody must have been after KLK's final episode had aired.

You have everybody sleeping in the office and this was for an OVA that might have been a bit behind but I doubt it was as down to the wire as KLK's was. What was especially rough for me to watch when the cameraman tried to go through the garbage of one of the animators to see what he had done, and the animator sort of snapped at him and said it was garbage and not to touch it. You could see through the documentary how the young animators were starting to unravel near the end.
Incredible writeup, man. This part specifically though... I know it happens happens with video game development during crunch time as well. I didn't think it was like that with anime as well. Is it like a cultural thing to stay at work if it's crunch time or something? I remember reading that some people were waking up hours earlier than normal as it helps bring down stress at the workplace or something like that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I tried reading the manga a few months back but was put off by the terrible readability of the translation, which clearly needed another pass by an editor or at least a native English speaker. I am hoping that, when I get around to watching the anime, the translation is more coherent...

The first few were pretty bad (it's being scanlated by one guy whose first language might not be english) but they have since been picked up by a more competent group (Roselia).

cajunator

Banned
Incredible writeup, man. This part specifically though... I know it happens happens with video game development during crunch time as well. I didn't think it was like that with anime as well. Is it like a cultural thing to stay at work if it's crunch time or something? I remember reading that some people were waking up hours earlier than normal as it helps bring down stress at the workplace or something like that.

Ive read that before, where animators stay at work and actually sleep over there on occasion when the deadline is near. Then again, some of our dispatchers will stay a couple hours later (about 14 hours total) to make sure night dispatch isnt walking into a minefield.

LOGH 1 - 54

VUSb5MV.gif

Everything is fucking perfect. This is going to be the series that completely ruins all modern anime for me, and will make me not want to watch anything new for months.

This next half is going to be fucking nuts. I have no idea how the hell you even top this.

I really should start to watch LOGH. I know that I would love it but somehow the huge episode amount and old art has pushed me away so far.

TUSR

Banned
Ive read that before, where animators stay at work and actually sleep over there on occasion when the deadline is near. Then again, some of our dispatchers will stay a couple hours later (about 14 hours total) to make sure night dispatch isnt walking into a minefield.

Depending on the scope and size of projects, it happens in pretty much any professional field. Especially animation and game design.

cajunator

Banned
Depending on the scope and size of projects, it happens in pretty much any professional field. Especially animation and game design.

we dont have "projects" just gotta make sure fuel gets where it needs to go and the AM/PM driver shifts are setup correctly.

fertygo

Nozaki-kun - 02

Man this is such a great season for comedy, fantastic episode.

Seem the show gonna filled with a lot amusing character.. Miyukichi is so based.

TUSR

Banned
we dont have "projects" just gotta make sure fuel gets where it needs to go and the AM/PM driver shifts are setup correctly.

You coordinate a fuel truck fleet don't you?

A buddy of mine up north working for Syncrude did that for a winter. Sat around in a truck with heat on for 12+ hours a day. Alberta oil fields are ez work if you have a good position, so much money to be tossed around there.

cajunator

Banned
You coordinate a fuel truck fleet don't you?

A buddy of mine up north working for Syncrude did that for a winter. Sat around in a truck with heat on for 12+ hours a day. Alberta oil fields are ez work if you have a good position, so much money to be tossed around there.

Yeah something like that. I have a fleet of trucks and drivers and I set up their daily dispatches.

The two big ones are barakamon and this. There's a lot of c-tier comedies like there usually are. But having two very solid well written comedies that are easily two of the best shows this season is not too shabby.

I like Barakamon, but I wouldn't call it funny. Nozaki-kun's the only thing to make me laugh this season. I guess I want to know if any of those c tier shows is actually funny. Sabagebu seems to be getting praised, but I only got a few minutes into the first episode before quitting that. Maybe I should give that one another chance?

Everybody stop talking about shitty anime. Moar fire emblem characters in super smash announced including lucina and Robin (aka the avatar in awakening) in both male and female form.

Finished Shaft's Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!

This may be the funniest show yet for me. Absolutely love all the different characters and their quirks (the normal girl being best!) and the humorous take on social mannerisms was really well done. Writing was smart I dare say.

Soundtrack was also great and added to the humorous atmosphere. Some of the sound design was also hilarious, like the 'mail mail mail' or the sounds Stalker girl always made.

Had the right amount of weirdness for me, too. Well, the exception being the directors or producers real face used for censoring and other means. I just don't like how that hurts the visuals and that isn't really that funny either.

It'll get a 'mail mail mail mail' out of 5 from me.

Akame ga Kill 2
An okay episode. The main character is kind of annoying with his focus on justice as well as being kind of Gary Stu. Not really liking Akame and Mine seems like a very annoying trope-filled loli

Well we still have a couple months before it drops in Japan, there's still hope for Shulk.

Hell, usually unlockable characters aren't revealed until post launch anyway except for special circumstances (like Luigi's anniversary or 3rd party characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom