• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Hanayamata 02

Naru's Yura-like insecurity is actually one of the strong points for me. It adds a somewhat more noticeable undercurrent of drama to the proceedings. I say somewhat because I feel that's always been present in Kirara series and things like them. Just because it occurs over a series of sketches doesn't mean it was never not there. She stumbles, she falls, she fails. But she can get better, and that's why I want to cheer her on. An audience of one can have more impact than a crowd of thousands, and a little bit of effort a stronger emotional push than an effortless, flawless, emotionless show-off. This is just as much the potential of anime, and of stories.

Philia.

mankoto

Great write up.

That's nothing, just listen to this story about the true hell that you get to experience in the anime industry. This is from Miyzaki, going into detail of what it was like to work as a finish inspector on Heidi (1974):

????

They're all CRAZY.
I'm sure stuff like this are rare occurrences, but when you hear them it's just... Damn. That's like slave labor except she's doing it out of her own free will.

tumblr_n4l5wjqgf81s7vp77o9_400.png
Lol that's hilariously gold. Like the entire game there could've been bad sitcom jokes.

Pooya

nozaki kun 1-2
thi was a lot of fun, reminds me of my little monster before it shoot itself in the foot but way better. and there is zero chance this one can go ina similar zzz direction. The characters maybe not original but look unusual to me in a good way, they're fun to watch

probably how mangaka san should've been too instead of panties panties panties ...

terror 1
probably the most well made episode of this season.
looks like a list show even if turns out bad...
this is how you recruit, actually felt authentic.
maybe I missed something but doesn't look like these guys would kill anybody to me, not even the girl there if she refused, maybe I'm way off after ep2 though. they come off as crazy but with a goal. don't think the show is a bloody one except the mcs killed off in the end of course...

23144.png

A Wii game that never made it outside of Japan. Apparently it was really fun and starred some Nintendo characters in it like Birdo and Little Mac.

Oh, never heard of it.

And you call yourself nintendoman? ;P

Well if Nintendo themselves don't intend to have him recognized more, why should I? :p

That's nothing, just listen to this story about the true hell that you get to experience in the anime industry. This is from Miyzaki, going into detail of what it was like to work as a finish inspector on Heidi (1974):

????

They're all CRAZY.

That's nuts. How can anyone put up with that?

tumblr_n8pih3oRF11s2y7mgo1_400.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Lol that's hilariously gold. Like the entire game there could've been bad sitcom jokes.

With all the husbandos and waifus, you could have made a soap opera too.

ooooh. Sounds nice ^^
I liked Marth's moveset!

Lucina is a distant descendant of Marth.

You snooze you lose.

I'll be taking your avatar next since you lost this round.

Sinon isn't for sale or trade. Ill go down in flames before I lose this.

On the one hand it sounds lazy, on the other we have some interesting gender equality.

Robin has both male and female versions too which is nice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Great write up.

????

They're all CRAZY.

You know, it's trademark Miyazaki that his thought process isn't "hey, maybe I really should get another color check artist lined up as soon as I possibly can" but rather "eh, she's been working her ass off this far and that somewhat gives me pause, but surely she can keep doing it." Also ties into the failure of Ghibli to properly develop new talent.

Jex

I'm sure stuff like this are rare occurrences, but when you hear them it's just... Damn. That's like slave labor except she's doing it out of her own free will.

I don't think it's as rare as you'd think. A number of Asian countries are known for their insane working hours and Japan is no exception. The anime industry is pretty notorious for this kind of thing, and I've heard plenty of similar stories out of game developers.

cajunator

Banned
nozaki kun 1-2
thi was a lot of fun, reminds me of my little monster before it shoot itself in the foot but way better. and there is zero chance this one can go ina similar zzz direction. The characters maybe not original but look unusual to me in a good way, they're fun to watch

probably how mangaka san should've been too instead of panties panties panties ...

terror 1
probably the most well made episode of this season.
looks like a list show even if turns out bad...
this is how you recruit, actually felt authentic.
maybe I missed something but doesn't look like these guys would kill anybody to me, not even the girl there if she refused, maybe I'm way off after ep2 though. they come off as crazy but with a goal. don't think the show us a bloody one except the mcs killed off in the end of course...

I love Sakuras giant bows. Oh my god I love those.
Shes not an original design but she is perfect for the show ^^

Jex

You know, it's trademark Miyazaki that his thought process isn't "hey, maybe I really should get another color check artist lined up as soon as I possibly can" but rather "eh, she's been working her ass off this far and that somewhat gives me pause, but surely she can keep doing it." Also ties into the failure of Ghibli to properly develop new talent.

Well to be fair this was 1974, it wasn't exactly his studio.

Setokai yakuindomo Bleep *- OAV 01
Seitokai_Yakuindomo_Bleep_OVA_%20DVD_02.jpg

wait..that's not
It's been a while but it's still the same old stuff , great if you like it , still bad if you don't "get" it.

This oav didn't have nearly enough uomi in it but the rest was good , in particulary this scene:

Seitokai_Yakuindomo_Bleep_OVA_%20DVD_01.jpg

Real Answer :
Mouth, nose , ears
the SYD answer is of course different.
I don't even know why i know the answer to that riddle.

Mokoi

Banned

????

They're all CRAZY.

Dammm! Now those are terrible working conditions. Just why continue though. Surely there most of been some other job that allowed more sleep available somewhere. Guess she really felt compelled to do it. I just don't understand the mindset of someone who would put up with that. Also screw that studio head. There had to have been someone else who could of helped even just a little bit. This quote also rubs me the wrong way.
Part of me feels that no one should work that hard. But part of me wants to have the energy and dedication she has for her work.

I don't really know how to explain it, but it kind of pisses me off. Maybe because I would expect someone saying, that no one should even have to work that hard.

mankoto

I don't think it's as rare as you'd think. A number of Asian countries are known for their insane working hours and Japan is no exception. The anime industry is pretty notorious for this kind of thing, and I've heard plenty of similar stories out of game developers.
I was aware of some Asian countries for these kind of practices. And I knew that Japan had these problems in the video game industry judging from images of desks from Gran Turismo 5 development and how Sakurai worked on Melee and now for Wii U/3DS. I just didn't think it was so widespread.

TheRancor

Yeah, that surprised me a lot as it seemed a rather "luxurious" way of spending the government's money. :p

Maybe Michiru Ōshima was the one who actually recommended them doing it, as she has lived and worked in Paris for a long time doing music recording at the same studios, and helping in sound post-production in general.
<3 Oshima. Although the music itself was recorded at the Russian State Symphony Cinema Orchestra instead. But yes, she has a working relationship with music recording at Paris, might have something to do with that.

Midonin

Aoharide 02

Maybe it's the Mayayan factor, maybe it's gap moe, but whatever it is, if Futaba is so confident that she's turning down her attractiveness, it's not working on the viewer. Her current sloppy self is pretty cute as it is. And the appeal going on here is actually very similar to what's going on with Naru in the show before her, even if it's expressed in a different way. That journey to self-confidence. And so far, I'm not seeing any hints of irony or sarcasticness in this. It's got a lot of heart. The drama can go in whatever direction it pleases, what's important is that the emotional core remains. And it may very well remain there because I am very biased and optimistic, but I trust the series itself to do so as well.

It's got a pretty nice OP, but the lack of definite episode titles slightly annoys me. That's about as minor a complaint as one could get, though.

Hanayamata 02

Interesting to see Yaya's perpective on this and how she's viewed her friendship with Naru over the years. But of course the best part was:

Y0HqNhJ.jpg

Indeed Haru, indeed.

cajunator

Banned
I was aware of some Asian countries for these kind of practices. And I knew that Japan had these problems in the video game industry judging from images of desks from Gran Turismo 5 development and how Sakurai worked on Melee and now for Wii U/3DS. I just didn't think it was so widespread.

I thought it was well known that asians and particularly Japanese worked their asses off. Its just the culture it seems. workaholics.

sagabebu or whatever its called its made by the people behind Love Lab?

Can this season get any better?

Yes its the brilliant Love Lab creators.
I wager it could get better!

Midonin

FUNimation is at least acknowledging the fact that they are working on getting episodes of Barakamon and Sengoku Basara: Judge End available.
We know they licensed Jinsei too, and that series looks like one I'd want to watch. Whatever caused the delay, hope it's fixed ASAP.

And also curious about whatever CR's last acquisition is.

Nah I didn't have the pleasure. I'm sure he's a great guy and his discussion on the hentai panel got my interest. Plus with no lewd images rule it should be a sfw venture. The most he should get from me is plz no and unamused puppy responses. Both so original I know.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Great write up.

????

They're all CRAZY.

I said, damn, this is insane! THe dedication is amazing, she literally risk her life to ensure the production goes well.

phaze

Saint Seiya Omega 63-73
untitled-1ghjpj.png

Saint Venus to the rescue.
Christ, coming back to it after exactly a year and it's even poorer than I remember it being. Character/ Cloth design, low production values, "Burn my Cosmo !/ Power of friendship battles and that terrible writing. Even watching it when browsing isn't easy. Looking back, it probably wasn't the best choice for my 2nd modern anime. lol

I do sincerely hope they will kill Subaru once he serves whatever his purpose in this plot is. Annoying brat. At least finally the golds showed up in force.

Asmita and Shaka laugh at all those peasants longing for 8th sense/Omega.

Rurouni Kenshin 2

zzzzzzzz Goofy, childish and dull in extreme. Took me a few tries to get through it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun 1-2

Not my usual cup of tea but it was pretty good. Loved the reaction faces and the gags were pretty good as well.

Sabagebu 1

74b594ae41db86be267fc98f4196e87e.jpg

The meta commentary is killing me. I love how it recognises its stupidity, its almost like its taking the mick out of C3 bu and rightly so. Very funny show!

cajunator

Banned
FUNimation is at least acknowledging the fact that they are working on getting episodes of Barakamon and Sengoku Basara: Judge End available.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/488747152802611200

At least there is progress.

Sabagebu 1

74b594ae41db86be267fc98f4196e87e.jpg

The meta commentary is killing me. I love how it recognises its stupidity, its almost like its taking the mick out of C3 bu and rightly so. Very funny show!

This show is so much better than C3bu it aint even funny. but its FUNNY.

Girls and Panzer Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-san Desu !

This was fantastic.

Fantastic.

I don't know what was the most intresting ... the cheer amount of detail when it came to food and the anzio team. The fact that they care so much about food , having fun that tankery is in third place .. But damn it was so intresting to watch.
Girls%20und%20Panzer%20Kore%20ga%20Hontou%20no%20Anzio-sen%20Desu%21_01.jpg

Show your GUTS!!!

Yukari infiltration skills are yet again , unmatched Her editing skills are also SPECTACULAR.

So happy to see a regular training session by orai and the little touches here and there made a perfect blend between this and the Final episodes.

On a technical side , there was much care to blend properly the CG and the 2D and i'm honnestly surprised they managed to get this result , the reloading fight was impressive and so fun to watch

I'm 200% behind the friendship between caesar and Carpaccio...Good friendship like that is lost these days.
Girls%20und%20Panzer%20Kore%20ga%20Hontou%20no%20Anzio-sen%20Desu%21_02.jpg

Nobody can resist tankery

Overall this was MAGNIFICENT , fantastic even i'd even argue that this oav was a excellent "missing link" that got restored.
Thumb UP

Caesnd

I said, damn, this is insane! THe dedication is amazing, she literally risk her life to ensure the production goes well.

I don't think working conditions such as those described there are anything commendable at all. There are other ways for people to enjoy and apply themselves to their craft without having to go through physical and mental torture in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom