• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 7

I like Akira. Everybody loves to point out how strict he is, but these are important skills she's teaching to them and it's stuff that they have to learn if they're going to do this stuff on their own. Though taking customers through a dimly lit, seemingly abandoned passageway doesn't seem the best way to do things. But if it's the only way, then so be it.

That was one big-ass pizza.

So is adnoah.zero actually watchable? I've heard opinions but I wanted to ask here first. You can be honest.

tumblr_m8iv15vth11qhkw3co1_500.gif

Akame Ga Kill 2

Show continues to impress, so happy to see that our MC doesn't bitch out like so many anime main characters would. Also Akame is just too adorable

Sabagebu 1

Haha, this is pretty fun. Its so stupid but the good kind of stupid.

I love how weird the girls are. I can see the main character and the one with pigtails are going to be sadistic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura 8.5
Yay, a bonus episode that I completely forgot about!

SatoJun for dummies in three pictures:
pTkp3XZl.jpg

S4bmejEl.jpg

QUArgcMl.png

:(

There's nothing really to say about the episode. It's SatoJun doing his thing and doing it well (better than his shounen ways with that weird show that no one watched from last season) and was a nice way to get back in touch with the characters again.

I know some people are watching Aria and you should definitely watch Tamayura if you liked what you've seen. It's a perfect complement to the show.

I'm still hoping for one more season... I can't remember if they got confirmed or not, but here's hoping.

Blusby

So is adnoah.zero actually watchable? I've heard opinions but I wanted to ask here first. You can be honest.
It's watchable but the writing is real shit so far, though this week's episode is the last one Gen writes the script for as from episode 4 onwards Takeyama is handling the script.

Hehe, yeah I also starting buying figs recently. All it took was the good smile Honoka to get me started.
i Started years ago with "that" momohime fig ..i have no regrets.

Gundam Build Fighters 23-25 + Final Thoughts

If it is possible to feel nostalgia for something you were never a part of, then I think I understand what everyone who had Gokaiger as their first Sentai series was going through. It's all in the atmosphere, the way the show finds a way to tap into that nostalgic part of the human brain. Not that different from what something like K-ON! does with school. Just with a brand name attached to it.

The air of sportsmanship that ran through the final episodes was great. The Gunpla Festival was as much an advertisement for a no doubt similar event in the real world, but it didn't feel like it didn't belong in this universe. Given how in love Japan is with Gundam, such fervor may very well be present like that. And the conclusion to the Mashita plot and the final "space" battle were equal parts hilarious (what a lazy villain) and genuinely epic. Nobody was looking to cause war, but for peace. A world where bears and knights and pirates and all sorts of Gundams are on equal footing.

If there's one line that resonates with me from this show, it's this. "Because there are no stakes, that's why people can take it seriously." That doesn't just apply to Gunpla. That applies to anime as a whole. It's just TV shows, but we're still genuinely invested in the way we turn out. We customize them to our own liking through fanfics and doujins and fanart, and debate about the merits. It's not as physical or merchandisable, but the feelings shared between Gunpla battlers are the feelings no doubt shared between Gundam fans. Between fans of any anime. It speaks to imagination. That's a wonderful message to young fans, and to the young at heart.

The ending of the season was pretty conclusive,
and that final shot of Yuuki and Sei's Gunpla frozen in mid-battle was kind of beautiful
, the fights were pretty but the characters surrounding them were just as likable, loaded with references but accessible to the person who knows nothing of them. I may have passed it over, but I'm glad I picked it up.

Not sure where the second season can go from here, or if I'll try out more Gundam anything in the future, but that was a joyous experience. It's different for Gundam, familiar for kids' TV, but made with a lot of love.
Gundam build fightersmanaged to build his own things that is better if you know the source material but even better when you get the references.. This show is solid good, because aside from the gundam stuff they choose to embrace the toy aspect and do cool things with it.
It was the only choice to save the franchise. the beautifully animated battles were the icing on the cake.
Next up on my infinite backlog, I'll be watching Yumeria. This was a conscious decision.
NANO DA NANO NANO DA
Get ready

37587143flkk5.jpg

And now to let it gather dust next to Rinne Utopia until I learn to speak waifu. Forgot it was coming with the pre-order drama CD, so that's a bonus.

You mean you haven't started to learn waifu so you can experience new things with your wqaifu ? i'm disapointed.

Nothing's shocking anymore.

Damn you for quoting me before my edit. Now the whole world has to see that.

Kino no Tabi OVAs

Absolutely loved both of them. I was scared of watching them at first because a lot of OVA's tones can be totally different than their series. But these both maintain the quality and do a lot to fill out backstory as well. I am a massive Kinofan now.

Himegoto 2

This show... this show...
They're both boys from the same family so that makes it ok.

My memory is acting up again... Well, do you consider these spacious? Some might be only a single floor I think though.

Yeh that's why I can't tell from those pictures.

Just watch the South Park documentary where the guys have giant offices and scooters and work in an office straight out of the dot com bubble and any of the Danny Choo tours of "big" Japanese studios where it's guys chained to desks on crappy PCs.

A lot of demand for a job means they can pay less. Much more so now that they have started farming more and more to Korea, China, and Vietnam.

A real pity that.

May not really be too, too closely related to that but I've always wondered why 3D animation still looks so terrible in most animes despite the large amount of studios and what I'd imagine would be a big interest in good 3D animation tools/programs.

The thing is that's obviously something complicated that requires proper research departments and ,if possible, high tech equipment, qualified personal and reasonable schedules.

But, if that kind of environment doesn't (and can't due to lack of budget) exist, then it's not surprising at all that the progress western 3D animation studios make trumps Japan so easily. I'm just thinking of this program.that Disney developed that allowed for a nice 2D look of 3D animation (they made a short involving lots of paper planes with that (can't quite remember what it's called)).

Of course I'm just speculating and kinda talking out of my ass but in the long run, these kind of working conditions in Japanese animation studios will hurt them.

edit: Not that I can see this changing somehow.

Chariot

I learned this was canonical last night. I am pleased.
Waa there a IS OVA I missed? I actually liked her very much and was sad that she didn't appear very often. On the bright side she didn't end up with Ichika.

Everything would be better if they would just make an Laura x Charles spin-off without Ichika.

*checks up. Apparently my butt was shown* welp
And it was awful - not your butt itself of course, nothing against your butt, really - but to see you in a lewd position... Theonik took something important from me this night, something that won't just grow back. :(

Narag

You're awaiting the reveal that her IS is fox - shaped and EVERYTHING will make sense !

oh my godddd

Waa there a IS OVA I missed? I actually liked her very much and was sad that she didn't appear very often. On the bright side she didn't end up with Ichika.

Everything would be better if they would just make an Laura x Charles spin-off without Ichika.

Nah that's ep 9 of S1. Also we've come be throwing around the idea of what a Laura/Char OVA would be like. Think we settled on them being buddy cops investigating Ichika's murder with Tatenashi as the chief of police!

Barakamon - 02

Dropped like a pile of bricks. I forgave the first episode as it it was the first episode, I felt it was necessary to allow some leeway as whilst the show did some things that were annoying it had a hard job in front of it to introduce the characters and the settings. However...

I do not enjoy overeactions and a bunch of people shouting at the top of their voices about nothing. The hospital IV scene was the 10 ton brick that broke the camels back and emphasised to me that this was not something I find funny or entertaining in any way. I felt like Tokyo Ghoul suffered in it's adaptation from a lack of subtlety well this show took all the subtlety outside, shot it, mutilated it and then fed it's parts to pigs. There is no time for reflection or soft understanding the way Usagi Drop at least tried to have an adult character do, anything this show wants you to learn will be emphasised and shown in that same episode.

Most of all the show isn't funny at all.

SABAGEBU! - 01

This show

is legit.

Sabagebu%21%20-%2001.jpg

OMG MASTER

This show.. the entire premise , the studpid stuff in the background , the way it's accurate yet not accurate , the crazy , the stupid cast ... EVERYTHING is magnificent ..

OMG the commentaries "hey this exist , for the rest just look it up yourself !"
Excellent stuff , superb first episode with the gropper on the train that see his life going ahead without him, can't believe they did that.

THIS IS GOOD , will watch.

IS season 3 when

To see them destroy the sopurce material and turn everything even dumber than it already is just to try to give every girl some screen time and screwing entire set of events in the process ?
i'd rather read the books.
Just give us OAVS about the girls doing cute things and don't try to adapt the books , it's a waste of time if they don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom