• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
There was an interview with Aymeric Kevin that talks about his work on Ping Pong, Space Dandy, and other stuff about the industry
Relevant quote about Yuasa's working condition
He is a role model for me. At one point he was directing on Adventure Time, Space Dandy and Ping Pong simultaneously. A normal person would have melted under the pressure and fatigue but he seemed so calm, even though he told me that he was sleeping thirty minutes per night during that period.

Barakamon - 02

Dropped like a pile of bricks. I forgave the first episode as it it was the first episode, I felt it was necessary to allow some leeway as whilst the show did some things that were annoying it had a hard job in front of it to introduce the characters and the settings. However...

I do not enjoy overeactions and a bunch of people shouting at the top of their voices about nothing. The hospital IV scene was the 10 ton brick that broke the camels back and emphasised to me that this was not something I find funny or entertaining in any way. I felt like Tokyo Ghoul suffered in it's adaptation from a lack of subtlety well this show took all the subtlety outside, shot it, mutilated it and then fed it's parts to pigs. There is no time for reflection or soft understanding the way Usagi Drop at least tried to have an adult character do, anything this show wants you to learn will be emphasised and shown in that same episode.

Most of all the show isn't funny at all.

I mean I know not everybody loves the same shows I do, but to outright dislike it this much. I'm surprised.

Chariot

Nah that's ep 9 of S1. Also we've come be throwing around the idea of what a Laura/Char OVA would be like. Think we settled on them being buddy cops investigating Ichika's murder with Tatenashi as the chief of police!
The Chariot approves.
Seriously, I think a show like this could work. I think even IS could work, if only Ichika wouldn't be so... alive.

Firemind

It is watchable. But that doesn't really mean much. Maken-ki is watchable a well. Now if you're asking if its good, well jury is still out in my opinion.
Maken-Ki is almost too watchable. Based Takeda Hiromitsu.

If adnoah.numbering is presented as a serious show, with zero irony, I suppose it could go on my so-bad-it's-funny pile.

Barakamon - 02

Dropped like a pile of bricks. I forgave the first episode as it it was the first episode, I felt it was necessary to allow some leeway as whilst the show did some things that were annoying it had a hard job in front of it to introduce the characters and the settings. However...

I do not enjoy overeactions and a bunch of people shouting at the top of their voices about nothing. The hospital IV scene was the 10 ton brick that broke the camels back and emphasised to me that this was not something I find funny or entertaining in any way. I felt like Tokyo Ghoul suffered in it's adaptation from a lack of subtlety well this show took all the subtlety outside, shot it, mutilated it and then fed it's parts to pigs. There is no time for reflection or soft understanding the way Usagi Drop at least tried to have an adult character do, anything this show wants you to learn will be emphasised and shown in that same episode.

You truly do not have a sense of humor. But anyways I guess this isn't for you, different opinions. Though I really don't see your complaint and about soft understanding it does have that. The scene where it talks about talent in episode 2 or becoming close to people in episode 1. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Re:_Hamatora 2
tumblr_n8q4kpSOZS1qbxqfpo2_1280.png
tumblr_n8q4kpSOZS1qbxqfpo4_1280.png

tumblr_n8q4kpSOZS1qbxqfpo1_1280.png
tumblr_n8q4kpSOZS1qbxqfpo3_1280.png
The people working on this must love doing this for their scene transitions, I wonder what will they try next. It oddly fits in with the series well even if they do it many times.

Great episode addressing a few points from the first season.
Panicked a little when Art's arm was cut, I thought he really die but then to finally receive confirmation on one theory proposed during s1 of what the nature of his minimal ability would be was great. Just confused how he could have two at once, though it never seemed to be a rule in the universe about being able to hold many or just one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeh that's why I can't tell from those pictures.

A real pity that.

May not really be too, too closely related to that but I've always wondered why 3D animation still looks so terrible in most animes despite the large amount of studios and what I'd imagine would be a big interest in good 3D animation tools/programs.

The thing is that's obviously something complicated that requires proper research departments and ,if possible, high tech equipment, qualified personal and reasonable schedules.

But, if that kind of environment doesn't (and can't due to lack of budget) exist, then it's not surprising at all that the progress western 3D animation studios make trumps Japan so easily. I'm just thinking of this program.that Disney developed that allowed for a nice 2D look of 3D animation (they made a short involving lots of paper planes with that (can't quite remember what it's called)).

Of course I'm just speculating and kinda talking out of my ass but in the long run, these kind of working conditions in Japanese animation studios will hurt them.

edit: Not that I can see this changing somehow.

I think if you want to compare animation, then you compare the new Heavenly Sword or Ratchet and Clank CG thing and not Pixar/Dreamworks. I mean, western animation had a big bust in the mid 2000s with two of the biggest CG studios going bust (including the company that did Reboot/Beast Wars/their Airbender thing before Airbender ripped it off).

In terms of 2d animation, I haven't watched any cartoons in ages other than Korra... and that's not even made in America. Certainly there's nothing in America that compares with the best of say, KyoAni.

I think the realistic view is that anime is in many ways a trash product that sells only to 5,000 people on average. It airs at 3 AM and producers have to pay for the time slot in the way that the Shake Weight people buy infomercial time on your local network that airs after Jimmy Fallon signs off for the night. Unless it's a pure vanity project like Aku no Hana, it really feels like the incentive is to just get things done as efficiently as possible and hope you get more anime thrown your way. And if you're lucky enough to make Infinite Stratos or K-On - ie, otaku shows that aren't shounen but still sell in the tens of thousands - that's just a happy accident.

Maken-Ki is almost too watchable. Based Takeda Hiromitsu.

If adnoah.numbering is presented as a serious show, with zero irony, I suppose it could go on my so-bad-it's-funny pile.
Takeda Hiromitsu is one of my character design GODS.

As for zero welp, jury is still out as not enough has happened for me.

Vylash

Barakamon - 02

... I'm watching you :mad:

cajunator

Banned
Well well...

Look what arrived just in time for me to not be able to watch it because I need to leave for work in like 20 minutes...

More pics to come later of all the goodies inside!

Man, it's just really good. I don't usually start really long shows either, but once I got hooked I just couldn't stop.

Ohhhh Nice~!
Ill be moving soon so Im not sure exactly how much Ill be able to keep buying after this year.

Survival Game Club: 02

I don't know how it does it, but that's two episodes to get audible laughs out of me. That is a great sign for a show.

Its a legit great show so far.

I've been a member since '07 and I've survived thus far. It's a tricky tightrope. One must understand the rapids of the river, before attempting to cross it - and right now the waters are stronger than ever. While there is little doubt that I've tested the patience of many mods in the past, my only goal in posting here has ever been to enjoy myself and to have a little fun in this community (a community with the most passionate and unique members I've ever seen). If I am guilty of that, then perm me tighter than jerry curls.

You have been very courageous and and entertaining part of this community. I have definitey found this cast of anime fans to be the most unique group online with very diverse tastes but able to discuss in a mature manner (for the most part). A special place this is.

It's been a while since I've seen troll subs... especially ones this timely:
7T4Ooa5l.jpg

Also, silly infighting:
UvId4vTl.jpg

Anime!

What show is that?

My memory is acting up again... Well, do you consider these spacious? Some might be only a single floor I think though.

06d40b87065797364a898816dde412f41359253599_full.jpg

I always love seeing stuff like this but...wheres Shaft? Shaft is forever an enigma. Do they really exist? Do they work out of a dank basement?

Chariot

)In terms of 2d animation, I haven't watched any cartoons in ages other than Korra... and that's not even made in America. Certainly there's nothing in America that compares with the best of say, KyoAni.
Then again what does. As far as I'm concerned almost all american cartoons get animated in Korea, Vietnam and Japan.

Irregular At Magic High 15

LOL having little sister call anyone else in the cast out on having a sister/brother complex is by far the most hilarious thing in this series.

cajunator

Banned

Quasar

You truly do not have a sense of humor. But anyways I guess this isn't for you, different opinions. Though I really don't see your complaint and about soft understanding it does have that. The scene where it talks about talent in episode 2 or becoming close to people in episode 1. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Certainly not the first really negative barakamon review I've read. elsewhere I'd seen complaints about how the mc has no redeeming qualities that would make the writer want to spend any time watching the show, and that the show is built on the trite cliche of 'city folk unable to appreciate life that rural savages can who teach said city slicker' and that Naru is just a non sexualised 'manic pixie dream girl'.

Which I certainly consider an half empty view of the show.

Certainly not the first really negative barakamon review I've read. elsewhere I'd seen complaints about how the mc has no redeeming qualities that would make the writer want to spend any time watching the show, and that the show is built on the trite cliche of 'city folk unable to appreciate life that rural savages can who teach said city slicker' and that Naru is just a non sexualised 'manic pixie dream girl'.

Cynicism has killed anime.

If we can't enjoy stuff like this and Nozaki-kun then what's the point. Pack it up guys.

mankoto

I always love seeing stuff like this but...wheres Shaft? Shaft is forever an enigma. Do they really exist? Do they work out of a dank basement?

It's probably the basement of this building.
shaft11.jpg

In all seriousness though, I don't know if they have the entire building to themselves or if it's just one floor. I'm betting it's just a floor though.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sabagebu 1

wasn't that amused until Momo shot the momos, that was pretty funny

next ep preview looked funny too

will try at least another episode

Sabagebu - 02
sabagebu_02.gif

1) i dislike natto
2) i don't dislike masochists
3) this is so stupid i can't hate this anime.

Narrator is doing an excellent job.

cajunator

Banned
i Started years ago with "that" momohime fig ..i have no regrets.

You mean you haven't started to learn waifu so you can experience new things with your wqaifu ? i'm disapointed.

The figure that launched a thousand collections. So many people started with that one.

Damn you for quoting me before my edit. Now the whole world has to see that.

Kino no Tabi OVAs

Absolutely loved both of them. I was scared of watching them at first because a lot of OVA's tones can be totally different than their series. But these both maintain the quality and do a lot to fill out backstory as well. I am a massive Kinofan now.

They're both boys from the same family so that makes it ok.

Welcome to the fold. Im glad you could join the growing army of Kinofans.

Blade Dance 01: I only lasted three minutes of this shit, dropped.

Sabagebu! 1-2: Protagonist of the season right here:

She even has the fuwa ponytail. So good.

It's probably the basement of this building.
shaft11.jpg

In all seriousness though, I don't know if they have the entire building to themselves or if it's just one floor. I'm betting it's just a floor though.

Thats a pretty tiny building regardless!

What am I reading here, this isn't even a criticism like seriously. And what is a manic pixie dream girl, cause the way they captured Naru makes her seem like a legit kid. Like what Woof said pack it up guys because if people can't enjoy or find good things about this show Anime is truly dead. And you would think people would get happy that a kid is not sexualized but naw. And MC is seriously great.

Chariot

There is no need to be upset, they're opinions. And minority opinion, too. You can still enjoy the anime withiut them, yes?

I do have a sense of humour thanks. Go back and watch that IV scene and tell me what I am supposed to find funny there. Go back and watch the scene with the mother (is that supposed to be funny)?

Those two references aren't soft understanding, they're the show hitting you on the head with a pile of bricks.

First introduce a guy complaining he has no talent
Then show that the guy really wasn't trying hard
Bonus points - have the point pushed by a little kid
Then have the guy cry about it

Is this one of those children's programs where every episode they face a challenge and have to slowly work through the answer and then tell the audience the moral of the story at the end? Frankly it's embarrassing.

What I refer to as soft understanding (man I wish I was a more eloquent writer) is the slow ideas you get built up through and emphasised in a show without them physically having to say it.

Captain Earth 15 extra thoughts

It's also nice to see that Hana will
be getting her own mech to pilot next episode
maybe the series will just be big mech battles from here on out which would be glorious.

cajunator

Banned
What am I reading here, this isn't even a criticism like seriously. And what is a manic pixie dream girl, cause the way they captured Naru makes her seem like a legit kid. Like what Woof said pack it up guys because if people can't enjoy or find good things about this show Anime is truly dead. And you would think people would get happy that a kid is not sexualized but naw. And MC is seriously great.

Ive only known one girl who is a manic pixie dream girl but she is fun to hang out with. Wish I knew more of them. they make life interesting for sure.

Whooooooooa whoa buddy I was kidding around. Don't drag me into this.

Mokoi

Banned
Hanayamata 02
I love Yaya's hair.

How? This show is weird first we get the creepy forehead shark girl, and now shikihairstyles.jpg I hope this Naru character is as interesting as caj mentioned.

Many many many thanks to Jarmel.

Nice! don't even like the sword arts, but still jelly.

Woah just because someone didn't like it doesn't mean you need to get angry. At least that's how you're coming across too me. Those were solid points by Moral Panic that I agreed with too. Still love the show though.

I do have a sense of humour thanks. Go back and watch that IV scene and tell me what I am supposed to find funny there. Go back and watch the scene with the mother (is that supposed to be funny)?

Those two references aren't soft understanding, they're the show hitting you on the head with a pile of bricks.

First introduce a guy complaining he has no talent
Then show that the guy really wasn't trying hard
Bonus points - have the point pushed by a little kid
Then have the guy cry about it

Is this one of those children's programs where every episode they face a challenge and have to slowly work through the answer and then tell the audience the moral of the story at the end? Frankly it's embarrassing.

What I refer to as soft understanding (man I wish I was a more eloquent writer) is the slow ideas you get built up through and emphasised in a show without them physically having to say it.

I respect your opinion but I still believe this series does well at what it does and that's being a Comedy/Slice of life.

Oh and sorry if I came across angry I wasn't trying to, my apologies. It's really hard to speak your mind without trying to be angry when typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom