• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aldanoah Zero - 02

Sometimes I wonder if there is something about the audience for anime that makes them so accepting of shows where you can already tell what will happen before it occurs. When posed this question before someone told me it was because most anime are manga adaptations where the audience already knows what will occur so suprises aren't as valued. Maybe that's true, maybe not.

In any case this episode was inoffensive but entirely ... standard? There was not once surprising moment, and that a huge accomplishment because people died.
The key point of course is that no one important or who had any development at all died. But a anyone who dared to question the authority of our drunkard character bit the bullet.
The princess didn't die and her death was a false-flag attack by the martians. WOW I AM SO SURPRISED BY THIS TURN OF EVENTS /sarcasm. Then the attackers got killed instead of being knights,
which again was a surprise to absolutely no one who has seen any media in their lives.

The martians aren't just bad - they are cackling saturday morning cartoon evil....
Looks up airing time....
LOL

Under my new standard of "If it's shit, drop it like it's hot" then this should probably go down but I was never one to rigidly stick to any unnecessary rule so I'll wait till the main character gets his gundam before I decide it's fate.

Umi Monogatari - 2

mZJTZJT.jpg
pl24Sa7.jpg

And suddenly, :SDBurton!

Well that was the shortest magical girl transformation sequence I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, it was like 5 seconds long.
Not that I'm complaining.

The sound direction in this show his TERRIBLE. That's not the music you use for an action scene! I know you're trying to squeeze in some character development on the side, but you could have used a faster paced track for that!

I'm really glad this is only 12 episodes, because I can so easily see this being stretched out as a magical girl MOTW for 50 episodes given the nature of the plot. Now I'm hoping that this doesn't turn out like Vividred.

That's why Ami exists, silly.

That's an odd way to spell Minori.

Seriously, the best thing about Toradora for me was some of the music that came out of it.

One of Minori's character image songs has Yui Horie going "WA-HA-HA" in the chorus and I die from cuteness overload every time.

Firemind

That's an odd way to spell Minori.

Seriously, the best thing about Toradora for me was some of the music that came out of it.

One of Minori's character image songs has Yui Horie going "WA-HA-HA" in the chorus and I die from cuteness overload every time.

Minori is the worst character on that show, brah.

Worse than Taiga and Taiga's dad even.

/XX/

My memory is acting up again... Well, do you consider these spacious? Some might be only a single floor I think though.

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/06d40b87065797364a898816dde412f41359253599_full.jpg
I'm glad you haven't posted the other image from this batch that included a photo of the old GAiNAX pre-fabricated shed near Higashi-Koganei station... :-D

It's probably the basement of this building.
http://mistakesofyouth.com/images/shaft11.jpg

In all seriousness though, I don't know if they have the entire building to themselves or if it's just one floor. I'm betting it's just a floor though.
No, no... they own it, like, the entire building (something unusual for a studio). In fact it is called the 'SHAFT BUILDING' ('SHAFT BLD.'). You can see it for yourself here:

〒167-0021 Tōkyō-to, Suginami-ku, Kamiigusa, 1 Chome−29 シャフト - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...ome−29+シャフト

It is a damn pity that the nice compilation of handy information about many different Japanese animation studios and their site's exterior photographs that was hosted at the AnimeChic web site has disappeared, and in the Internet Archive only the text and some photos remain...

Thats a pretty tiny building regardless!
It must be heaven compared to their cramped old place!

It's already been proven by science that guys prefer tsunderes anyways, hence why tsunderes are usually winning.

Does it suck? Yes. But that's life.

I'm fine with some tsundere. I dunno how GAF feels about it so I may be opening myself up to some fire, but I'd let Senjougahara step on me all day long. But I'm 100% done with Kugimiya Rie voiced tsundere. One hundred fucking percent.

Minori is the worst character on that show, brah.

Worse than Taiga and Taiga's dad even.

Good one. You win the "Most Wrong Post" of the day award.

You and I are soulmates.

Except for what you said about Holo the other day. That was unforgivable.
But I was joking. ;__;

God I wish your avatar was Rin
I have considered it at points, but no.

That's why Ami exists, silly.

Taiga was terrible, but Ami and Minori saved that show, plus dat OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZE8n3Ux8sI
Minori is life, Minori is love.

mankoto

Fuck, man, why did I even bother with Golden Time after Toradora.

I honestly can't tell if I expected too much out of Golden Time, or if it was just bad. That being said I wanted it to be filled with delicious melodrama and not hot air. I tried to accept what it was and still didn't like it all that much until it finally slapped me silly with melodrama at the end but it was too late.

I'm fine with some tsundere. I dunno how GAF feels about it so I may be opening myself up to some fire, but I'd let Senjougahara step on me all day long. But I'm 100% done with Kugimiya Rie voiced tsundere. One hundred fucking percent.

Good one. You win the "Most Wrong Post" of the day award.

What about Kagura from Gintama, though I believe she isn't a tsundere.

Hattori

Banned
Hey Moral Panic, Im just curious, but what would be a good slice of life show that you have seen? (I just want to know to see what your preferences might be.)

Jintor

I think that's a lot of the problem with it for me in that first ep. Just felt like punchline after punchline in regard to an area I don't have much exposure to so the gags did little for me.

I'm with you here, DTL.

smh

worst cat

Most people I've talked to about it love it. To me, it's just another Kugimiya Rie tsundere and annoying high school love triangles, squares, whatever the fuck shape.

you, you're on notice too

Toradora? Ughhhhhhh. That show man. I have a seething dislike for tsunderes in romantic shows to this day because of that show.

And you

I've been waiting for an anime to do a parody/satire of high school romance tropes for so long. And I don't mean like poke fun at them. I mean the main male character arrives at a class and there are a bunch of pretty boys all along the window row staring out. Or the leads try to go have lunch in the roof but it's completely packed because everybody thought of the idea. I would love it with Cromartie High writing.

Mangakas get to it.

mankoto

I'm glad you haven't posted the other image from this batch that included a photo of the old GAiNAX pre-fabricated shed near Higashi-Koganei station... :-D
I remember a studio having what looked like a shed as a studio. How do they have a shed though? I would've thought they had a studio made out of gold with all that NGE money.

No, no... they own it, like, the entire building (something unusual for a studio). In fact it is called the 'SHAFT BUILDING' ('SHAFT BLD.'). You can see it for yourself here:

〒167-0021 Tōkyō-to, Suginami-ku, Kamiigusa, 1 Chome−29 シャフト - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...ome−29+シャフト
Putting that Monogatari money and Madoka money to use unlike Gainax I guess...

It is a damn pity that the nice compilation of photographs and information from different Japanese animation studios that was hosted at the AnimeChic web site has disappeared, and in the Internet Archive only the text and some photos remain...

It must be heaven compared to their cramped old place!
That's a shame. I would've loved to see those images.

Nozaki-kun 2

This guy lol

Should ditch the girl and just have him bro around with Nozaki

Did you like the new girl? She's pretty great too. Like I said most of the anime will be this, but with even more great characters. There's little to no "nozaki-senpai plz notice me" like the first episode.

edit: also I need a "DTL intensifies" gif.

Jintor

So many people liked Toradora it seems. I never liked it though.

I need to wait another 3 years and rewatch. I definitely remember liking it though. I mean, I really do not marathon a lot of series, but Toradora absolutely hooked me.

Also tears, lots of tears.

Jintor

Seriously though get me a Yandere Kanojo anime. I love Gekkan Shoujo but I'd like a main couple who are A MAIN COUPLE

NONE OF THIS NOTICE ME PLS BULLSHIT

Ugh, the effusive praise has convinced me to pick up Sabagebu.

But you'll never make me watch Barakamon! Never!

Your loss.

Seriously though get me a Yandere Kanojo anime. I love Gekkan Shoujo but I'd like a main couple who are A MAIN COUPLE

NONE OF THIS NOTICE ME PLS BULLSHIT
This. I love Yandere Kanojo. And after a couple of chapters it largely switches focus to the comedy and characters instead of the romance so it's similar to this. It's weird to see an anime couple who aren't in the honeymoon period throughout the whole manga. Another one is Horimiya.

I need to wait another 3 years and rewatch. I definitely remember liking it though. I mean, I really do not marathon a lot of series, but Toradora absolutely hooked me.

Also tears, lots of tears.

I think by that point I was already done with traditional high school setting love polygons.

They don't just bore me to tears, but actively anger me. Especially ones with "misunderstandings" that could easily be solved by PEOPLE FUCKING TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Looking at you Kimi ni Todoke.

Ah, that makes me realize why I bothered with Golden Time. I was told the couple
actually gets together early
. I was like "NO FUCKING WAY", but then the
memory bullshit and semi-supernatural
bullshit happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Umi Monogatari - 2

Well that was the shortest magical girl transformation sequence I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, it was like 5 seconds long.
Not that I'm complaining.

The sound direction in this show his TERRIBLE. That's not the music you use for an action scene! I know you're trying to squeeze in some character development on the side, but you could have used a faster paced track for that!

I'm really glad this is only 12 episodes, because I can so easily see this being stretched out as a magical girl MOTW for 50 episodes given the nature of the plot. Now I'm hoping that this doesn't turn out like Vividred.

This is a SatoJun show that came out shortly after Aria ended, so it's really a magical girl show more in that vein than in his more actioney shows. Be sure to watch the OVA that comes after the series because it serves as a nice epilogue.

I think I like it more now in retrospect now that I know more about SatoJun and his career than I did when I watched it. I wanted Aria, but that's not exactly what this show is trying to be. It's very much like DoReMi, come to think of it.

Jintor

I guess that's the thing, I love shoujo but I drop almost all of them immediately because they kinda blow so I never got my fill before Toradora. (Wasn't a fan of Kimi ni Todoke, at least the little I read)

Funny thing though, the only reason I started watching Toradora was because everyone thinks protag looks like a thug and I was looking for anime with similar premise after reading Angel Densetsu

Just give me a Houkago Play anime so I can [REDACTED] to delicious tall girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl.

I don't know what series you are referring to but I approve of your post.

Edit: Well after Googling I guess I do know what series you are referring to. I just never figured out the name of it. Thanks for telling me things I didn't know I wanted to know!

I guess that's the thing, I love shoujo but I drop almost all of them immediately because they kinda blow so I never got my fill before Toradora. (Wasn't a fan of Kimi no Todoke, at least the little I read)

I'm up to date on the Kimi ni Todoke manga and I feel like it should've ended ages ago when
the couple actually got together.

I swear, that fucking manga. "Omg, he said he liked me....could that mean....he likes me!?"

Yes, that was a gross over simplification but some of the "misunderstandings" are pretty much that heinous.

Sailor Moon 20

I understand calling parts of sailor moon filler is silly as 99% of the series is filler because it only used the basic manga concepts as a guideline to do it's own thing. This is fine and dandy and as a whole I've enjoyed the series for what it is

That being said

This episode was completely filler, it added nothing to the story, didn't develop any of the main characters, and honestly the role the Sailor Guardians had in this episode was completely non existent.

This episode was bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom