• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm up to date on the Kimi ni Todoke manga and I feel like it should've ended ages ago when
the couple actually got together.

I swear, that fucking manga. "Omg, he said he liked me....could that mean....he likes me!?"

Yes, that was a gross over simplification but some of the "misunderstandings" are pretty much that heinous.
I think a lot of it stems from them needing misunderstanding to draw things out.

Honestly I would prefer to see more already together/married romance stories where they're past the point that a kiss on the cheek is highly embarrassing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hence why you only stick with the good (running) shojo manga

1. Horimiya
2. Ore Monogatari
3. Yandere Kanojo
4. Nozaki-kun
5. Can't think of a five but it'd go here.

Kimi ni Todoke and Say I Love You are still going!

I'm up to date on the Kimi ni Todoke manga and I feel like it should've ended ages ago when
the couple actually got together.

I swear, that fucking manga. "Omg, he said he liked me....could that mean....he likes me!?"

Yes, that was a gross over simplification but some of the "misunderstandings" are pretty much that heinous.
It's not even about them any more. It's still going, but it's basically about her friends. Sawako is mostly just "there".

I think a lot of it stems from them needing misunderstanding to draw things out.

Honestly I would prefer to see more already together/married romance stories where their past the point that a kiss on the cheek is highly embarrassing.

Agreed. Which is why I love Bonnouji. The couple is mature (I think the woman is in her thirties) and they *GASP* have SEX in their relationship.

About Hunter X Hunter is the Election Arc good and how does it compare to the previous arcs.

It's a far shorter arc then the previous one. It's more of a setup for the arc that comes next that won't get animated, but I liked it. A lot of talking and setup and new characters being introduced, but it stands well enough on it's own.

Older characters come back as well.

Lord I am so behind on that manga I'm scared to see where its at now.

It's only 36 chapters long total, completed. The scanlation is literally only missing the final chapter, and it's annoying.

But it's more than possible to read everything out in one sitting, as I've done so multiple times waiting for the final chapter to be scanlated.

Edit: Oh my fucking god, there's been a misunderstanding on my part. There are only 35 chapters, but there was a 32.5, which is why MAL listed 36 chapters.

Well, guess it's over after all.

Agreed. Which is why I love Bonnouji. The couple is mature (I think the woman is in her thirties) and they *GASP* have SEX in their relationship.
How long ago did you start this? I remember recommending this to someone not too long ago. Hope they started it.

Lord I am so behind on that manga I'm scared to see where its at now.
it's already over. It ends with no drama. In fact the whole thing has little drama.

About Hunter X Hunter is the Election Arc good and how does it compare to the previous arcs.

I liked it, but like any HxH arc you really can't compare it to any other arc as they all do things really differently. It's really hard to give you a better answer then that without spoiling it though so just sit tight and enjoy.

How long ago did you start this? I remember recommending this to someone not too long ago. Hope they started it.

it's already over. It ends with no drama. In fact the whole thing has little drama.

I'd been reading it since it first started being scanned. Also yeah, see the edit to my previous post to realize I'm an idiot.

Lol, what? Is it just Kugiloli tsunderes?
Pretty much. I mean I don't hate every tsundere and it all depend on how strong their act is.

It's only 36 chapters long total, completed. The scanlation is literally only missing the final chapter, and it's annoying.

But it's more than possible to read everything out in one sitting, as I've done so multiple times waiting for the final chapter to be scanlated.

Edit: Oh my fucking god, there's been a misunderstanding on my part. There are only 35 chapters, but there was a 32.5, which is why MAL listed 36 chapters.

Well, guess it's over after all.

Oh its over. Sweet I can read at my own pace then and not feel as pressured. Thanks.

I'd been reading it since it first started being scanned. Also yeah, see the edit to my previous post to realize I'm an idiot.

Yeah I was about to say. I couldn't see what they could possibly add to the ending considering it ended pretty neatly.

Also Slice if you haven't, read some of the ones I've listed. I honestly can't remember who I have recommended that list to in here

Midonin

They're not? Yandere shouldn't surprise me, but Horimiya? Damn. Well then "romance manga"
Both of them come from the Gangan family of comics, which as I've mentioned before, produces a wide variety of stuff.

Soul Eater (Not), Fullmetal Alchemist, Watamote, Natsu no Arashi, Dusk Maiden, One Week Friends, Kitakubu, Akame ga Kill, Seto no Hanayome and those series.

And here's the kicker. Even Nozaki comes from Gangan, meaning that even though it has "shoujo" in the title and you were expecting it to be in that demographic, it was actually me, Dio. I mean, a shounen manga.

The lesson is that demographics say almost nothing about content. I remember saying very similar things when Inari was on air.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. And it just feels like going through the motions.
Well, sure. This is a franchise that had games, anime, and a live action movie (where they don't kiss lol). It's just going for the sake of going, but I like the friends so I'm happy to have it come out. Besides, it comes out so slowly that it doesn't matter that much any way.

Midonin

Yandere is a gag manga/4koma, but Horimiya is shoujo. Well, romance maybe. I dunno, I tend to conflate the two.
It runs in Gangan, so it's aimed at the shounen demographic. Because you know what actually is shoujo this season? Sabagebu.

"Shoujo" does not mean "romance". Just like "shounen" does not mean "fighting series".

And Orange and Natsume as well.

Natsume is pretty damn good. But I don't know if I can read the manga after watching the anime. The VA was perfect, plus my understanding is that the anime jumped around arcs in the manga.

It runs in Gangan, so it's aimed at the shounen demographic. Because you know what actually is shoujo this season? Sabagebu.

"Shoujo" does not mean "romance". Just like "shounen" does not mean "fighting series".

From the implication I'm getting then, women like all the mega drama and guys like stories with straight-forward no complication then. At least younger demographics do haha

Jintor

Both of them come from the Gangan family of comics, which as I've mentioned before, produces a wide variety of stuff.

Soul Eater (Not), Fullmetal Alchemist, Watamote, Natsu no Arashi, Dusk Maiden, One Week Friends, Kitakubu, Akame ga Kill, Seto no Hanayome and those series.

And here's the kicker. Even Nozaki comes from Gangan, meaning that even though it has "shoujo" in the title and you were expecting it to be in that demographic, it was actually me, Dio. I mean, a shounen manga.

The lesson is that demographics say almost nothing about content. I remember saying very similar things when Inari was on air.

is it just me or does gangan have a ridiculously powerful lineup

i incorrectly use demographics as shorthand for genre descriptors i guess

/XX/

I remember a studio having what looked like a shed as a studio. How do they have a shed though? I would've thought they had a studio made out of gold with all that NGE money.
It was temporal move, as GAiNAX director Takami Akai said, to reside in a fairly spacious (although flimsy) prefabricated building for the task of working on the big production that was TTGL, all while they were searching for another more definitive site that finally could substitute their legendary headquarters at 'Nakamichi Building'.

But well, they ended up staying there 5 years all in all, for reasons unknown to me (probably because it was cheap, I imagine), until they finally came to their actual house:

〒181-0013 Tōkyō-to, Mitaka-shi, Shimorenjaku, 6 Chome−1−33 三鷹ビル - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2;1−33+三鷹ビル

Well, sure. This is a franchise that had games, anime, and a live action movie (where they don't kiss lol). It's just going for the sake of going, but I like the friends so I'm happy to have it come out. Besides, it comes out so slowly that it doesn't matter that much any way.

I've always loved Ayane. She was always more interesting of a character to me than anyone else.

---
There, read that 32.5 chapter of Bonnouji. Was sweet.

Yeah I tend to use demographics as labels, but recently I've been trying to say "shonen action" to correct myself. Shojo on the other hand I tend to not put the romance part because, from my limited knowledge, there's not many shonen romance so I almost imply it and it sounds awkward when I read "shojo romance" out loud. Mistake made I guess.

The problem with romance is that you have to do a really good job of explaining why the two characters who obviously like each other don't just get together, and then you have to have a good story reason why we need to follow their relationship after they get together. How hard is it for writers to just have the characters admit they like each other, enter a relationship, and then have sex like rabbits? Say what you will about hentai but at least there the characters don't beat around the bush for dozens of episodes/chapters.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 33

This guy takes the creepy old man trope and runs with it. Frankly I got annoyed with it by the middle of the episode. It probably isn't going to stop, though, at least not for the foreseeable future.

The problem with romance is that you have to do a really good job of explaining why the two characters who obviously like each other don't just get together, and then you have to have a good story reason why we need to follow their relationship after they get together. How hard is it for writers to just have the characters admit they like each other, enter a relationship, and then have sex like rabbits? Say what you will about hentai but at least there the characters don't beat around the bush for dozens of episodes/chapters.

It's like the last episode of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei says.
"There's nothing more boring than a tale of successful love."

I just happen to disagree vehemently.

Eh for me successful love is more interesting than constant drama. I already have a shitty love life and don't put in the effort with the women who went so far as to ask me out (since I can't be bothered to pursue), I don't need to read about drama I want to read successful shit to remind myself that not everybody is as giant of a douche as me when it comes to actually giving it a try.

Eh for me successful love is more interesting than constant drama. I already have a shitty love life and don't put in the effort with the women who went so far as to ask me out (since I can't be bothered to pursue), I don't need to read about drama I want to read successful shit to remind myself that not everybody is as giant of a douche as me when it comes to actually giving it a try.

With you 169%, brah.

Firemind

I guess that's the thing, I love shoujo but I drop almost all of them immediately because they kinda blow so I never got my fill before Toradora. (Wasn't a fan of Kimi ni Todoke, at least the little I read)

Funny thing though, the only reason I started watching Toradora was because everyone thinks protag looks like a thug and I was looking for anime with similar premise after reading Angel Densetsu

Toradora isn't shoujo, bruv. It's for male loners.

Pretty much. I mean I don't hate every tsundere and it all depend on how strong their act is.

What's your opinion on Inami and Anaru?

"Oh he's talking to another girl. WHO IS THAT GIRL!? MAYBE HE LIKES HER? OH SHE'S MUCH OLDER THAN MADE i CANNOT COMPETE."

-3 episodes later-

"Oh this is my older sister! She's visiting us during her college vacation!"

Quasar

Hence why you only stick with the good (running) shojo manga

1. Horimiya
2. Ore Monogatari
3. Yandere Kanojo
4. Nozaki-kun
5. Can't think of a five but it'd go here.

Well I'm still reading the manga of the World is Still Beautiful, along with a bunch of others. I thought Nozaki-kun was a parody thereof anyway.

Narag

Sengoku Basara Judge End 2

0Xy1LUWl.jpg
TtAG3Lil.jpg

Man, this really is more serious business than the second season. Not complaining as long as I get to listen to Tomokazu Seki scream a bunch though.

Kenshin shaming the shit out of Kojuro was the fucking best too.

Jintor

bro

broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hyouka 1 - 11

WMHgcCu.gif

I'm kicking myself for not watching this sooner. Everything about this gels for me. Obviously the production values are incredible, the show feels alive, the way the characters emote, etc. It's all stunning. The writing is especially good too, I love the way the characters bounce off each other and behave. It's a type of natural and sincere writing that I really appreciate and that you don't see very often. But yeah, overall great work so far, excellent direction unifying great writing and stunning visuals.

Also had no idea this show re-united Yuuichi Nakamura and Daisuke Sakaguchi as best bros. Add one whole star for that alone.

Oh and Looking at the whole of KyoAni's work and realizing this is the sole show that hasn't been distributed in the US (I think?) is not surprising...I'm going to assume that it also wasn't as big a success as their other shows in Japan...?

Hyouka 1 - 11

WMHgcCu.gif

I'm kicking myself for not watching this sooner. Everything about this gels for me. Obviously the production values are incredible, the show feels alive, the way the characters emote, etc. It's all stunning. The writing is especially good too, I love the way the characters bounce off each other and behave. It's a type of natural and sincere writing that I really appreciate and that you don't see very often. But yeah, overall great work so far, excellent direction unifying great writing and stunning visuals.

Also had no idea this show re-united Yuuichi Nakamura and Daisuke Sakaguchi as best bros. Add one whole star for that alone.

Oh and Looking at the whole of KyoAni's work and realizing this is the sole show that hasn't been distributed in the US (I think?) is not surprising...I'm going to assume that it also wasn't as big a success as their other shows in Japan...?

Glad you're liking it. Hyouka was awesome.

Is that fucking Jill Valentine cosplay

It is and I laughed until I cried when I saw it in episode 1.

mankoto

It was temporal move, as GAiNAX director Takami Akai said, to reside in a fairly spacious (although flimsy) prefabricated building for the task of working on the big production that was TTGL, all while they were searching for another more definitive site that finally could substitute their legendary headquarters at 'Nakamichi Building'.

But well, they ended up staying there 5 years all in all, for reasons unknown to me (probably because it was cheap, I imagine), until they finally came to their actual house:

〒181-0013 Tōkyō-to, Mitaka-shi, Shimorenjaku, 6 Chome−1−33 三鷹ビル - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2;1−33+三鷹ビル

Ah okay. It isn't as odd as I thought it was then. Thanks for the clear up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's been FIFTEEN YEARS. Why are they still looking for the One Piece?

Shergal

Hyouka 1 - 11

It wasn't as big as the Key shows and K-On/Haruhi, i.e. it wasn't a smash hit of gargantuan proportions.

Taken on its own terms it was very successful financially.

Quasar

What am I reading here, this isn't even a criticism like seriously. And what is a manic pixie dream girl, cause the way they captured Naru makes her seem like a legit kid. Like what Woof said pack it up guys because if people can't enjoy or find good things about this show Anime is truly dead. And you would think people would get happy that a kid is not sexualized but naw. And MC is seriously great.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl

Which I can see in Naru if I looked at the show cynically.

But as I said, its not the reaction I had to the show. I called it AOTS after #1. Even with the clichéd 'country folk teach the city slicker how to enjoy life' basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom