• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Oh and Looking at the whole of KyoAni's work and realizing this is the sole show that hasn't been distributed in the US (I think?) is not surprising...I'm going to assume that it also wasn't as big a success as their other shows in Japan...?

Well, it's the the only recent one that wasn't streamed. There's a couple other KyoAni shows, like Nichijou, that don't have anyone releasing them on home video in North America.

If by Inami you mean working Inami. I tolerated her antics because I enjoyed the overall show.

And if you mean AnoHana Anaru, well I actually liked her.

Is it worth pushing through Working if I can't stand Inami's particular form of the androphobia trope? It pained me to drop an anime that had Asumi Kana, and I actually love Fujita Saki, but I wanted to run Inami over with a tank.

She's a boring, one trick pony. See a man? HIT. SO FUNNY, HAHA.

Firemind

Is it worth pushing through Working if I can't stand Inami's particular form of the androphobia trope? It pained me to drop an anime that had Asumi Kana, and I actually love Fujita Saki, but I wanted to run Inami over with a tank.

kDgpCnr.gif

da bes

I mean it never stops being a thing but it did happen a bit less often. I mean it has been a while since I watched it though.

Again I enjoyed everything else much more that I didn't let her antics completely ruin it.

Perfection.

Gonna suck when his health finally gives out and no one gets any resolution.

Pretty sure he said one or two of his closest assistance know the major plot points he has planned so at worst we could get a "here is what would have happened" book
like we'll get for A Song of Fire and Ice

Narag

Pretty sure he said one or two of his closest assistance know the major plot points he has planned so at worst we could get a "here is what would have happened" book

Brandon Sanderson will finish One Piece. He has experience.

I don't know if the spoiler is geek bait but I'll take it. It's a Song of Ice and Fire.

And at this point I would almost rather GRRM stops writing if it means the HBO show won't be held back by him. And he has said before he doesn't want somebody else finishing the books, so yes he gave the plot points to HBO producers.

Quasar

I don't know if the spoiler is geek bait but I'll take it. It's a Song of Ice and Fire.

And at this point I would almost rather GRRM stops writing if it means the HBO show won't be held back by him. And he has said before he doesn't want somebody else finishing the books, so yes he gave the plot points to HBO producers.

Whereas I'd prefer to see the show cancelled so George isn't rushed. And given the organic way he writes I hope he doesn't hold himself to the plot points he gave out.

The problem with romance is that you have to do a really good job of explaining why the two characters who obviously like each other don't just get together, and then you have to have a good story reason why we need to follow their relationship after they get together. How hard is it for writers to just have the characters admit they like each other, enter a relationship, and then have sex like rabbits? Say what you will about hentai but at least there the characters don't beat around the bush for dozens of episodes/chapters.

Well, there's one way for writers to get around that. Tragedy. Forbidden love!

Invoke sympathy in the viewer! Have two characters meet and become good friends, but don't reveal something really startling until later down the line. Unless it's revealed that the character is a long-lost brother or sister. Then it's time for the viewer to bail out.

But once it's revealed that the love is forbidden, the couple will suddenly have a dark new view on their world. What they once saw as a happy place they can call home suddenly turns into a uncaring society that they know will reject them. But despite that the two characters will always show their love for each other whilst getting beat down by the cruel world around them. Causing the viewer to feel more and more sad until they can't take it anymore and just want that sadness to end!

Then there's the resolution. If you go this way with your romance story you've got two choices.

The Romeo and Juliet tragedy ending or the happily-ever-after ending.

Now, most people would go for the tragic bitter-sweet ending that doesn't really have a conclusion but more or less stops the show when the characters see a light at the end of the dark tunnel. See, it's the easy way out because it allows the viewer to draw their own conclusion most of the time. Or they could go for the unnecessary super-tragic route and just end the story as gut-punchingly sad as possible, which is just plain cruel and accomplishes nothing.

If you go for the happily ever after ending you have to make it so nobody can call bullshit. Which can be difficult in most cases. But if you pull it off nicely, it'll feel rewarding and the viewer will be glad he/she watched the show!

Bottom line: Sympathy is the key. To get someone really invested in a love story the viewer needs to feel sympathetic for the couple.

Well, there's one way for writers to get around that. Tragedy. Forbidden love!

Invoke sympathy in the viewer! Have two characters meet and become good friends, but don't reveal something really startling until later down the line. Unless it's revealed that the character is a long-lost brother or sister. Then it's time for the viewer to bail out.

But once it's revealed that the love is forbidden, the couple will suddenly have a dark new view on their world. What they once saw as a happy place they can call home suddenly turns into a uncaring society that they know will reject them. But despite that the two characters will always show their love for each other whilst getting beat down by the cruel world around them. Causing the viewer to feel more and more sad until they can't take it anymore and just want that sadness to end!

Then there's the resolution. If you go this way with your romance story you've got two choices.

The Romeo and Juliet tragedy ending or the happily-ever-after ending.

Now, most people would go for the tragic bitter-sweet ending that doesn't really have a conclusion but more or less stops the show when the characters see a light at the end of the dark tunnel. See, it's the easy way out because it allows the viewer to draw their own conclusion most of the time. Or they could go for the unnecessary super-tragic route and just end the story as gut-punchingly sad as possible, which is just plain cruel and accomplishes nothing.

If you go for the happily ever after ending you have to make it so nobody can call bullshit. Which can be difficult in most cases. But if you pull it off nicely, it'll feel rewarding and the viewer will be glad he/she watched the show!

Bottom line: Sympathy is the key. To get someone really invested in a love story the viewer needs to feel sympathetic for the couple.

Is this why we have so many incest themed anime?

Firemind

Shoujo is just like shounen. You gotta milk it because, I assume, the chances of hitting it big twice is extremely difficult and who wants to be out of work? lol

Also, it's not shoujo, but Hatsukoi Limited is fun if you want a Friends-ish sitcom with a definite ending.

Might as well recommend Kimikiss Pure Rouge while you're at it.

Or Amagami SS, although I hated the structure of this.

Link Man

Banned
Welp, I just earned a couple days off work, paid for with pain. Ran my toes over with a pallet jack carrying a skid of softener salt (it wasn't that soft), lost the toenail on my big toe.

More time to watch anime, I guess.

cajunator

Banned
I'm glad you haven't posted the other image from this batch that included a photo of the old GAiNAX pre-fabricated shed near Higashi-Koganei station... :-D

No, no... they own it, like, the entire building (something unusual for a studio). In fact it is called the 'SHAFT BUILDING' ('SHAFT BLD.'). You can see it for yourself here:

〒167-0021 Tōkyō-to, Suginami-ku, Kamiigusa, 1 Chome−29 シャフト - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...ome−29+シャフト

It is a damn pity that the nice compilation of handy information about many different Japanese animation studios and their site's exterior photographs that was hosted at the AnimeChic web site has disappeared, and in the Internet Archive only the text and some photos remain...

It must be heaven compared to their cramped old place!

Oh wow. These conditions are simply ridiculous to work in.

I honestly can't tell if I expected too much out of Golden Time, or if it was just bad. That being said I wanted it to be filled with delicious melodrama and not hot air. I tried to accept what it was and still didn't like it all that much until it finally slapped me silly with melodrama at the end but it was too late.

Golden Time was definitely bad. IT managed to pull a last minute resolution out of its clumsy butt, but too late. Having said that, I enjoyed watching parts of it and definitely seeinG Koko being adorable and crazy was worth it all but its one show I can honestly say I wouldnt put high priority on buying.

There'd be no difference between the current situation and one in which he stopped writing as far as the HBO show goes.

You say that but I do fear the rushing train that is the show is/will have a negative impact on the writing.
We don't need to invent excuses for him, he had been struggling for a decade before the show existed.

Gonna suck when his health finally gives out and no one gets any resolution.

I'm actually afraid that this will happen to Togashi and we'll never see an ending to Hunter X Hunter.
As for One Piece, I'm sure Oda can finish it whenever Shueisha he wants

Welp, I just earned a couple days off work, paid for with pain. Ran my toes over with a pallet jack carrying a skid of softener salt (it wasn't that soft), lost the toenail on my big toe.

More time to watch anime, I guess.

Injuries are both a blessing and a curse. I got a bad injury in my pinky toe the day before my internship started, and it requires a lot of walking and helping carrying heavy machinery/tools. So of course those first few days sucked and I couldn't exactly call it a work related injury and miss work when I had just started lol

Narag

Layzner 3

Exposition laden first half that serves to more or less confirm everything the viewer may have inferred to this point.

Anna's narration to open and close the ep and her relationship with Eiji really really reminds me of Mad Max and the Feral Kid. In fact the interaction with the UN base and Eiji is reminiscent of Max and the settlers with the oil well. I wonder if that's intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom