• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

We don't need to invent excuses for him, he had been struggling for a decade before the show existed.

I don't feel he's really been struggling. Well beyond solving the problem he had with the abandoned time jump.

You kids would have loved to be around for the process of the Hobbit and then Lord of the Rings.

survivor

Banned
Shoujo is just like shounen. You gotta milk it because, I assume, the chances of hitting it big twice is extremely difficult and who wants to be out of work? lol

Also, it's not shoujo, but Hatsukoi Limited is fun if you want a Friends-ish sitcom with a definite ending.

Have there been any manga authors who disappeared after one huge milked franchise? All the ones I'm thinking off right now seemed to have found some reasonable success after.

I don't feel he's really been struggling. Well beyond solving the problem he had with the abandoned time jump.

Nonsense. He had to scrap the structure of his entire series, and then spent 11 years to write two mediocre books and even said of ADWD in the forward that “this one was three bitches and a bastard” to write. It's some bizarre revisionism to say that he hasn't been struggling with his writing.

GRRM hasn't been struggling he just has horrible writing practices. Steven Erikson wrote the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series practically on a yearly fashion and those novels are just as intricate with its geography, character numbers, history and mythos (if not more for the latter).

Quasar

Nonsense. He had to scrap the structure of his entire series, and then spent 11 years to write two mediocre books and even said of ADWD in the forward that “this one was three bitches and a bastard” to write."

Well I disagree. I've enjoyed all the books, and finally started getting into Dany's story which for so long seemed like an interruption to what I wanted to read about. That said I haven't liked where he has taken a character that was a favourite of mine at the start.

cajunator

Banned
I've been waiting for an anime to do a parody/satire of high school romance tropes for so long. And I don't mean like poke fun at them. I mean the main male character arrives at a class and there are a bunch of pretty boys all along the window row staring out. Or the leads try to go have lunch in the roof but it's completely packed because everybody thought of the idea. I would love it with Cromartie High writing.

Mangakas get to it.

Im pretty sure individual parodies of these things have existed in some high school comedies now and then but not an entire show composed of it. Yet. Seems like an idea worth pursuing as a reaction to an abundance of these.

I remember a studio having what looked like a shed as a studio. How do they have a shed though? I would've thought they had a studio made out of gold with all that NGE money.

Putting that Monogatari money and Madoka money to use unlike Gainax I guess...

That's a shame. I would've loved to see those images.

Even that Shaft building looks tiny. Like a little caricature of a building lol. Its so cute!

I think by that point I was already done with traditional high school setting love polygons.

They don't just bore me to tears, but actively anger me. Especially ones with "misunderstandings" that could easily be solved by PEOPLE FUCKING TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Looking at you Kimi ni Todoke.

Ah, that makes me realize why I bothered with Golden Time. I was told the couple
actually gets together early
. I was like "NO FUCKING WAY", but then the
memory bullshit and semi-supernatural
bullshit happened.

I liked Kare Kano because it pretty much focused on a school couple and some REALLY crazy stuff that goes on between them.

I can't even be salty any more about Platinum doing the Korra game. This season has been fantastic.

Right?!

It's like holy shit where has this Korra been this whole time. I'd post the breakdancing airbender or the tentacle waterbender or any of the cool fights again, but people just need to catch up and watch it.

Link Man

Banned
Right?!

It's like holy shit where has this Korra been this whole time. I'd post the breakdancing airbender or the tentacle waterbender or any of the cool fights again, but people just need to catch up and watch it.
Hard to catch up when they don't put it up on their site, like they did with the last two seasons.

cajunator

Banned
It was temporal move, as GAiNAX director Takami Akai said, to reside in a fairly spacious (although flimsy) prefabricated building for the task of working on the big production that was TTGL, all while they were searching for another more definitive site that finally could substitute their legendary headquarters at 'Nakamichi Building'.

But well, they ended up staying there 5 years all in all, for reasons unknown to me (probably because it was cheap, I imagine), until they finally came to their actual house:

〒181-0013 Tōkyō-to, Mitaka-shi, Shimorenjaku, 6 Chome−1−33 三鷹ビル - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2;1−33+三鷹ビル

All of these are interesting. that seems morel ike it when I think of a building. That looks workable. the Shaft one is farcically small, at least from the outside. It may be spacious depending on how the interior is.

The problem with romance is that you have to do a really good job of explaining why the two characters who obviously like each other don't just get together, and then you have to have a good story reason why we need to follow their relationship after they get together. How hard is it for writers to just have the characters admit they like each other, enter a relationship, and then have sex like rabbits? Say what you will about hentai but at least there the characters don't beat around the bush for dozens of episodes/chapters.

That doesnt make for good drama, though a show once in a while that just focused on that might be of some value. I wouldnt want a bunch of them though.

bro

broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

This is an ambiguous response.

Narag

Tonari no Seki-kun 10

o4GnXNml.png

Marked course killed me in this one.

Defuser

Sabagebu ep 1

1k7k7f.jpg

Goddamn at this humor and fourth wall breaking and the narrator actually predicting my thoughts. This show is awesome.

cajunator

Banned
Is it worth pushing through Working if I can't stand Inami's particular form of the androphobia trope? It pained me to drop an anime that had Asumi Kana, and I actually love Fujita Saki, but I wanted to run Inami over with a tank.

She's a boring, one trick pony. See a man? HIT. SO FUNNY, HAHA.

I agree that Inami was a bit overdone. She could have had other dimensions to her but they rolled too much with the man phobia. Other than her there was soooooo much to love about working. Yamada for example makes it all worth it.

Whats good to watch?, Im already seeing Akame ga kill but the I need somwthing else in the middle of the week lol

Ive liked Nozaki-kun, Sabagebu, and Hanayamata so far. Some would say Barakamon but I havent watched it yet.

Firemind

Of course. Liked it and Nidaime. Just that he had a much better friend in Kaoru.

Well, there was this scene in Genshiken where the members got jealous at protagonist-kun for having a childhood friend. Or was it a sister? Ssshhhhiiiiiiii, I can't remember. Don't tell me they're into incest...

Midonin

Sailor Moon 19-20

19 was a nice little moment for both Naru and Max Power Stanton, which I have no doubt inspired a thousand fanfics. I was more interested in the bizarrely aquamarine lion and the knowledge that being Tuxedo Mask is like having a dapper Incredible Hulk inside of you. Episode 20... was odd. No connection to the Dark Kingdom at all. It was creepy and kooky, mysterious and spooky, altogether ooky, and also somehow a beach episode. Rei had the best swimsuit. 19 was more plot related, and 20 is a better beach episode than one I've heard of that appears down the line. But I'll get there when Viz gets there... but that'll take some time.

Hard to catch up when they don't put it up on their site, like they did with the last two seasons.

Yeah I find that weird, Nick should be taking advantage of this to drive up traffic to their site. I think they announce on FB when the episodes will be up for streaming on Nick.com or on other official sites. I'd just keep checking.

If not you could always record the episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Might as well recommend Kimikiss Pure Rouge while you're at it.

Or Amagami SS, although I hated the structure of this.
Yeah, I suppose we're moving into romcom now. lol

(Amagami is great. Everyone is happy. lol)

Have there been any manga authors who disappeared after one huge milked franchise? All the ones I'm thinking off right now seemed to have found some reasonable success after.
I don't follow manga too much, but after a long run with Aria I have to imagine Amanchu hasn't hit as big. That Amano had to switch to a quarterly schedule doesn't help I suppose.

I guess time will tell if Shimura's post Wandering Son/Sweet Blue Flowers work will go as long/get anime... I'm sure Aoki will get work after Hidamari Sketch, but her non HidaSketch work to date has been largely ignored (here, admittedly).

But I get a lot of the throwaway anime that gets adapted are the last we'll see of the author of the original work. There's just way too much of the stuff out there, not to mention that there are always new people trying to break in. I don't know if there's the same sense of "auteurship" to support mangaka in the long run as there is in the comics industry.

Although, I suppose Gaiman really just gets away with writing the same stuff over and over again... which is about the same as Oda writing the same story for 20 years. lol

cajunator

Banned
Well, there's one way for writers to get around that. Tragedy. Forbidden love!

Invoke sympathy in the viewer! Have two characters meet and become good friends, but don't reveal something really startling until later down the line. Unless it's revealed that the character is a long-lost brother or sister. Then it's time for the viewer to bail out.

But once it's revealed that the love is forbidden, the couple will suddenly have a dark new view on their world. What they once saw as a happy place they can call home suddenly turns into a uncaring society that they know will reject them. But despite that the two characters will always show their love for each other whilst getting beat down by the cruel world around them. Causing the viewer to feel more and more sad until they can't take it anymore and just want that sadness to end!

Then there's the resolution. If you go this way with your romance story you've got two choices.

The Romeo and Juliet tragedy ending or the happily-ever-after ending.

Now, most people would go for the tragic bitter-sweet ending that doesn't really have a conclusion but more or less stops the show when the characters see a light at the end of the dark tunnel. See, it's the easy way out because it allows the viewer to draw their own conclusion most of the time. Or they could go for the unnecessary super-tragic route and just end the story as gut-punchingly sad as possible, which is just plain cruel and accomplishes nothing.

If you go for the happily ever after ending you have to make it so nobody can call bullshit. Which can be difficult in most cases. But if you pull it off nicely, it'll feel rewarding and the viewer will be glad he/she watched the show!

Bottom line: Sympathy is the key. To get someone really invested in a love story the viewer needs to feel sympathetic for the couple.

Ive seen all the ways this can play out really. You have your Ai Yori Aoshi where they are basically together at the start and no interference really changes it, your typical Haremshit where all the girls fight and nobody "wins" till like season 3, and your tragic endings like Saikano which is one of the most heartwrenching stories ever (picture a girl as sweet as Fujimiya in O.W.F. turned into a war machine by the govt and losing all her humanity as she struggles just to stay human enough to love her BF). anime explores all of it.

Welp, I just earned a couple days off work, paid for with pain. Ran my toes over with a pallet jack carrying a skid of softener salt (it wasn't that soft), lost the toenail on my big toe.

More time to watch anime, I guess.

Owww damn. Get better soon buddy! In the meantime watch all the anime you can deal with hehee.

Branduil

Hyouka 1 - 11

I'm kicking myself for not watching this sooner. Everything about this gels for me. Obviously the production values are incredible, the show feels alive, the way the characters emote, etc. It's all stunning. The writing is especially good too, I love the way the characters bounce off each other and behave. It's a type of natural and sincere writing that I really appreciate and that you don't see very often. But yeah, overall great work so far, excellent direction unifying great writing and stunning visuals.

Also had no idea this show re-united Yuuichi Nakamura and Daisuke Sakaguchi as best bros. Add one whole star for that alone.

Oh and Looking at the whole of KyoAni's work and realizing this is the sole show that hasn't been distributed in the US (I think?) is not surprising...I'm going to assume that it also wasn't as big a success as their other shows in Japan...?
And you haven't even gotten to the best arc yet.

cajunator

Banned
Red waifu

Light brown waifu

Dark brown waifu

Put them together and they make the three great trains

I see what you did there.

Fuuuuuuuuuck this show.

Yup! His attention was just on the one girl rather than us watching a bunch of girls fight over him.

Rihiko a best. Nishishi a close second.

I like you.

These are also acceptable answers.

All of the girls are acceptable answers.
You didn't see the second season then.
They fixed that and she is in the Love zone like the other girls now.

Yes they did. The second season is alright.

Jarmel

Banned
Right?!

Everything this season has been leagues better. The writing and animation really took some jumps.

Season 3 Korra is to Seasons 1 and 2 what the original star wars trilogy is to the "now this is podracing" prequels.

Everything this season has been leagues better. The writing and animation really took some jumps.
I can't really choose what to praise the most. Animation looks better, but to be fair I think they switched studios for season 2 and that's why it looked so off. The writing as well. They decided to drop most if not all of the drama and just go on full adventures team avatar style.

cajunator

Banned
Sabagebu ep 1

1k7k7f.jpg

Goddamn at this humor and fourth wall breaking and the narrator actually predicting my thoughts. This show is awesome.

I love self aware shows like this. IIRC Binbougami Ga was this self aware too.

Well, there was this scene in Genshiken where the members got jealous at protagonist-kun for having a childhood friend. Or was it a sister? Ssshhhhiiiiiiii, I can't remember. Don't tell me they're into incest...

Genshiken was enjoyable for the college dynamic. It was similar ideas but the college setting meant a lot less silly drama and a lot more room for just plain silliness and adult humor.
Then Hato showed up and took the show to a whole different level.

Dead

well not really...yet
And you haven't even gotten to the best arc yet.
:D Getting back to it right now

btw, I forget, was this a noitamina show? Just wondering as its 22 eps. I do like how the episodes range from 25 to 27 minutes, longer than your usual show, a little more time to breathe in each ep.

Quasar

yes but S1 was mean to my favorite girl and not even making up for it in S2 could right that wrong.

After Haruka, I could have stopped and been happy. Hell I'd be happy with the whole series just being him and Haruka.

But I like the anthology romance format it used. And about the only other time I've seen it is with Photo Kano, and it suffered with it being one episode stories rather than 3-4 episode arcs.

Narag

Daitarn 3 - 20

A serious business ep? Been a while. I guess there actually is a plot to move forward now and then. :lol Actually concerned one of the two girls is going to get killed off soon and I wouldn't even worry if not for Tomino. Maybe this is where it all started. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thinking about this episode again, I was inspired to write it up again in greater detail. I love the show quite a bit and I figure I should try to elaborate some more (and I just want to practice, really).

Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ 8.5

This little gem was recently subbed and watching it instantly brought me back to Takehara and the world of Fu-chan and her friends. After what amounts to three seasons of the show (over the last 3-4 years), it’s hard to put into words why I like this show so much, but this episode illustrates what I like about Sato Junichi’s direction.

The episode opens with Fu narrating the prologue to the episode. She tells us that Fu and her friends went on a school field trip to Okinawa, but one of her friends, Maon-chan, is unable to go with them because she is sick. When they go back to Takehara, they decide to visit Maon at her home to check up on her. As the group check up on her, a girl named Norie finds a book that Maon had prepared in anticipation of their Okinawa trip:

laoNXmul.jpg

Curious, we see Maon flip open the book to check its contents:

fHimdp8l.jpg

It’s an empty book, and it instantly serves as symbol of the memories that Maon should have had if she was able to go on the school trip with the rest of her friends. It’s blank pages represent that missed opportunity, and the emptiness of those pages reflect the lonliness that Maon must have felt when she was left behind at home. All of this is too much for Norie:

slBRERZl.png

She breaks down and starts crying, because she feels sad for her friend. In this moment, she serves as the audience surrogate, expressing exactly what we should feel at this moment. Yes, it’s a bit of Spielberg-face in that it “tricks” us into feeling sorry for Maon - just in case we don’t already sympathize with her.

Of course, this inspires the group to go on a second field trip on their own in order to give Maon the opportunity to have a fun experience with her friends and fill the pages of her sketchbook. Very often, the show would use photography - the act of capturing a memory - as a way to connect moments in time together. Here, Sato uses the sketchbook to a similar effect and it works beautifully. Maon goes on a trip, has lots of fun and memorable experiences, and fills up her sketchbook entirely.

Sato is really just brilliant at telling small “feel good” stories about the passing of time. Missed opportunities and forgotten memories become possibilities for making new memories, encouraging us to feel sad in the moment but to also be optimistic about the future. It’s something he does better than anyone else and is why I love Tamayura, and what I consider his seminal work, Aria.

I really hope that Sato has a chance to do a final season of Tamayura to wrap the show up. We’ve already seen him do a high school graduation in ~More Aggressive~, with one of the third year characters graduating from the school. But now we have a chance to have him show what Fu and her friends will feel knowing that they are finished with school and have the whole world ahead of them.

tl;dr - Tamayura is still awesome and reminds me of why I watch anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom