• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Sabagebu ep 2
Mikorin might be the character of the season for a comedy show. She's a two face petty revengeful brutal sadistic main character ever.

I like the berserk films :'(. I mean the manga is boss but this is the best adaptation I'm going to get. Action is pretty cool in motion.

Unless you're saying I shouldn't make people watch the films because the sequels will never get here.

Yeah, it's not as good as the manga, and some CG scenes are bad, but in general the Berserk movies takes the core of what it made Berserk great well enough. They have my thumbs up.

So it's cruel to show them, because the end.

Jex

Yeah, it's not as good as the manga, and some CG scenes are bad, but in general the Berserk movies takes the core of what it made Berserk great well enough. They have my thumbs up.

So it's cruel to show them, because the end.

No no, all the CG is awful. Just awful. A disgrace.

Narag

Tonari no Seki-kun 11

eDxIysjl.png

Definitely one of the more creative skits so far.

I'm not sure why something like Berserk has CG? Horses?
My understanding was that it was to crank out the films in a timely fashion. Didn't they come out within a year of the previous one? If so that's a feat. Cg was bad in many parts but the action and non-cg parts make it worth the watch.

Also the hope to finally see non-golden age arcs adapted.

Firemind

Because it's cheaper.

That's not a valid reason!

Use less frames or something. I haven't watched Hellsing Ultimate for a long time, but I recall it had excellent production. Either go full 3D pixar or stick with pencilling. Don't half-ass it.

Narag

Use less frames or something. I haven't watched Hellsing Ultimate for a long time, but I recall it had excellent production. Either go full 3D pixar or stick with pencilling. Don't half-ass it.

Not half-assing it would rob the Berserk movies of their identity though. It's what makes them what they are.

You can't really blame the berserk movies for doing this cg when we see this same shit in stuff like sidonia. Give anime industry 2 more years and we'll have rise of the planet of the apes.

Blusby

I remember Hellsing Ultimate using a lot of tricks so that they would be able to half-ass fight scenes and yet still get away with it! All those face closeups.

Mature

Kotaku are just trolling us now. And Kotaku is a website with actual reach, too, you think they'd be more responsible.
The only option is an AnimeGAF website. With popular features such as "Is Hyouka Shit?", "Why Utena is Still the Best Anime", "DTL's Weekly Free! Fan Spotlight", "Duckroll's bones Hype Corner" etc.

You can't really blame the berserk movies for doing this cg when we see this same shit in stuff like sidonia. Give anime industry 2 more years and we'll have rise of the planet of the apes.

I thought the interview said that only happened because Mr. Michael Bay advanced the technology forward, is there a similar figure in the anime industry to push the technological boundaries forward for the sake of delivering one of the most respected franchises of all time?

Link Man

Banned
HaNaYaMaTa 2

Erasing her internet history in preparation of Hana's visit? This show just earned my seal of approval!

This show is very charming, and has actual good emotional drama. I'm a bit glad that I gave it another chance, after initially writing it off.

And Hana's glomps are the cutest thing ever.

I thought the interview said that only happened because Mr. Michael Bay advanced the technology forward, is there a similar figure in the anime industry to push the technological boundaries forward for the sake of delivering one of the most respected franchises of all time?
Somebody get duckroll to lead cg future. We need a Japanese Pixar or DreamWorks. Imagine moe girls doing DreamWorks face.

I've been waiting for animes transition into cg for ages now. Or even better........flash animation. I need Berserk in any form. Get Genddy Tartakovsky to give me flash Berserk. I'm willing to sell my body for this.

Yes Yes Yes! Yamada and the Seven Witches is getting two OVA's which may mean its testing the water and may end up getting a full TV series.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-15/yamada-kun-to-7-nin-no-majo-gets-2nd-anime-dvd-next-may/.76690

I mean its pretty popular in Japan so I hope it get's an anime. I mean I would rather have this than World Trigger but that's me.

How does a kodansha manga bring a shonen jump manga into this? Unless you meant Terraformars, the tv series that the same studio as Yamada-kun is doing this fall?

May 2015 is so far away.

Midonin

Momo Kyun Sword 02

I know what all the blogs are saying. That it's a C-Class anime, that it feels like it came out of the 90s, but I'm still enjoying it. A fanservicey magical girl adventure with some Japanese flavor is at least some of what I'm looking for in an anime. Momoko and Onihime's relationship reminds me of Homura and Asuka from Senran Kagura, and the monkey form was kinda cool. Not sure why it has Wolverine style claws, but it works. Kushinada is clearly an M, though the show itself calls her a "sacrifice fetishist". I have... not read a doujin like that once, and I'm not sure I want to.

ED's cute, very simple dance and some Taketatsu vocals. The show's never going to rank on anybody's list of favorites, but it's still one of the ones I'm enjoying this season.

Superflat

Hanamayata episode 2

Blondie still freaks me the fuck out with her face.

Timid main girl gives me C3Bu protagonist flashbacks, but it's done better.

Characters are done well so far and I like the pacing. When the characters' faces aren't freaky, it's a very good looking show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes Yes Yes! Yamada and the Seven Witches is getting two OVA's which may mean its testing the water and may end up getting a full TV series.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ext-may/.76690

I mean its pretty popular in Japan so I hope it get's an anime. I mean I would rather have this than World Trigger but that's me.

They've done the anime OVAs before, but I don't know if anything came out of it... and since the jdrama already exists (DTL was the only one who watched it I guess?), I wonder if there's any incentive to do an adaptation.

Caesnd

The major difference is that cgi is a perfect fit for what Michael Bay wants to achieve, while anime studios often go through hoops trying to retrofit completely different mediums together.

The advancement then becomes more complex because the actual answer is not entirely clear yet. Whereas full cgi as it is defined today enjoys parallel progress with the increase of computational power (and streamlining of studio pipelines and toolsets), the conundrum of trying to mimic (or in any way coexist with) limited animation with all its trappings is far more challenging.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The major difference is that cgi is a perfect fit for what Michael Bay wants to achieve, while anime studios often go through hoops trying to retrofit completely different mediums together.

The advancement then becomes more complex because the actual answer is not entirely clear yet. Whereas full cgi as it is defined today enjoys parallel progress with the increase of computational power (and streamlining of studio pipelines and toolsets), the conundrum of trying to mimic limited animation with all its trappings is far more challenging.
Not that Black Rock Shooter was worth anything, but that documentary where they talk about making their CG animation look more "anime" by removing frames is an interesting look at trying to mimic an older form.

But I mean, I figure to make something look like Kaguyahime in computer animation would probably take longer to do than it would to just do it mostly by hand.

They've done the anime OVAs before, but I don't know if anything came out of it... and since the jdrama already exists (DTL was the only one who watched it I guess?), I wonder if there's any incentive to do an adaptation.

But But But this series makes so much sense as a anime series. And the thing is the OVA will be an original story, not from the manga and the seven witches will make an appearance. So it makes even more sense for it to get an adaption. They just probably want to see the reception it gets.

mankoto

Hanamayata episode 2

Blondie still freaks me the fuck out with her face.

Timid main girl gives me C3Bu protagonist flashbacks, but it's done better.

Characters are done well so far and I like the pacing. When the characters' faces aren't freaky, it's a very good looking show.
Just don't look them in the eyes and all will be well.

Jex

Not that Black Rock Shooter was worth anything, but that documentary where they talk about making their CG animation look more "anime" by removing frames is an interesting look at trying to mimic an older form.

But I mean, I figure to make something look like Kaguyahime in computer animation would probably take longer to do than it would to just do it mostly by hand.

Well that's nothing new, that's exactly what they did in Brad Bird's The Iron Giant to make the Iron Giant himself appear 2D even though he was 3D. It's honestly the write approach to take when trying to blend 2D and 3D animation because otherwise your eyes are drawn to the obvious disparity in smoothness between the two.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Momo Kyun Sword 02

I know what all the blogs are saying. That it's a C-Class anime, that it feels like it came out of the 90s, but I'm still enjoying it. A fanservicey magical girl adventure with some Japanese flavor is at least some of what I'm looking for in an anime. Momoko and Onihime's relationship reminds me of Homura and Asuka from Senran Kagura, and the monkey form was kinda cool. Not sure why it has Wolverine style claws, but it works. Kushinada is clearly an M, though the show itself calls her a "sacrifice fetishist". I have... not read a doujin like that once, and I'm not sure I want to.

ED's cute, very simple dance and some Taketatsu vocals. The show's never going to rank on anybody's list of favorites, but it's still one of the ones I'm enjoying this season.

Well, it is more dignified then any given season of Ikki Tousen.

How does a kodansha manga bring a shonen jump manga into this? Unless you meant Terraformars, the tv series that the same studio as Yamada-kun is doing this fall?

May 2015 is so far away.

Yeah I forgot they were from different publishers, just me being selfish. 2015 is really far away, but at least its on the month of my birthday.

Jex

I'm not sure why something like Berserk has CG? Horses?

Studio 4oC aren't really filled to the brim with talented action animators like, say, BONES, so doing big action scenes with dozens of fighters isn't really their forte. Instead they do a ton of smaller, more interesting stuff like music videos etc. Quite how they ended up with the contract to Berserk is something I don't know.

Glorious cg truck master race will one day save us from heathen hand drawings. Wouldn't moving on to the relatively easier and less expense/time consuming medium help out with the apparent horrible work conditions in anime studios?

Caesnd

Kaguyahime is a very good example, because it clearly demonstrates the tactility of manipulation that hand drawn animation grants. I have no idea how one would go about designing a way to animate that in any 3d package available today, and as you say, it would probably not be worth the time.

For me personally, when it comes to traditional media, it goes beyond just the actual animation. I love the look of painted cells, poster paints and airbrush techniques just as much. Actually, I think I miss the solid blacks and saturated colors (as well as character designs) of the 80s-90s more than I dislike the introduction of 3d elements!

Jex

Glorious cg truck master race will one day save us from heathen hand drawings. Wouldn't moving on to the relatively easier and less expense/time consuming medium help out with the apparent horrible work conditions in anime studios?

Have you watched the documentary Life After Pi, about the CG studio that made all the CG for Life of Pi? How they worked insanely hard, won the Oscar for best visual effects and then they had to close down because they couldn't deal with cheap overseas rivals? The CG industry is, if anything, more competitive and cut throat than the traditional animation industry, I can't imagine that their working conditions are going to be that great. CG artists are underpaid and undervalued and they have a very tough time ahead of them.

At least their aren't that many studios competing to make traditional animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom