• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Sailor Stars 174

J0mvOTRl.png

No wonder English in anime doesn't have quite the same novelty it used to have. It peaked here.

also something something
star gentle uterus

Mature

Glorious cg truck master race will one day save us from heathen hand drawings. Wouldn't moving on to the relatively easier and less expense/time consuming medium help out with the apparent horrible work conditions in anime studios?
I don't think CG is less expensive and time consuming if that's what you're implying. At least not serviceable CG.

I haven't. But I hope it's called "Life after Life After Pi
I don't think CG is less expensive and time consuming if that's what you're implying. At least not serviceable CG.
than standard high quality animation? I mean I'm speaking with no knowledge just basic logic that one is more time consuming than the other so it would cost more. But then again wages are probably much much lower in Japan so it might even out. Again no research whatsoever just curious. If one doesn't make more sense business wise then why the shift to cg in the west? Hand drawn films like Disney have all disappeared right?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But But But this series makes so much sense as a anime series. And the thing is the OVA will be an original story, not from the manga and the seven witches will make an appearance. So it makes even more sense for it to get an adaption. They just probably want to see the reception it gets.

when does/did the first OVA release?

Jex

But But But this series makes so much sense as a anime series. And the thing is the OVA will be an original story, not from the manga and the seven witches will make an appearance. So it makes even more sense for it to get an adaption. They just probably want to see the reception it gets.

Once you get a live action drama it seems less likely that you'll get an anime as well because those 3D shows always attract a far, far larger audience than an anime would.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kaguyahime is a very good example, because it clearly demonstrates the tactility of manipulation that hand drawn animation grants. I have no idea how one would go about designing a way to animate that in any 3d package available today, and as you say, it would probably not be worth the time.

For me personally, when it comes to traditional media, it goes beyond just the actual animation. I love the look of painted cells, poster paints and airbrush techniques just as much. Actually, I think I miss the solid blacks and saturated colors (as well as character designs) of the 80s-90s more than I dislike the introduction of 3d elements!
I think of it like the move away from film. There will always be someone who will insist on shooting on film, even once the last factory shuts down and they need to make their own film stock themselves.
Specific animation techniques will become boutique ventures for people who are using them for a specific aesthetic effect rather than out of necessity, at which point the very mode of production becomes a form of artistic expression. Just like Payne did with Nebraska when he shot it in black and white.

Have you watched the documentary Life After Pi, about the CG studio that made all the CG for Life of Pi? How they worked insanely hard, won the Oscar for best visual effects and then they had to close down because they couldn't deal with cheap overseas rivals? The CG industry is, if anything, more competitive and cut throat than the traditional animation industry, I can't imagine that their working conditions are going to be that great. CG artists are underpaid and undervalued and they have a very tough time ahead of them.

At least their aren't that many studios competing to make traditional animation.
Yeah, it's because CG artists are seen as tradesmen rather than artists... yet they don't have the same union protection that the other crafts people have. So it's very easy to just find CG artists in China or wherever to do your work for cheaper, especially if you see them as being over-glorified carpenters.

Well that's nothing new, that's exactly what they did in Brad Bird's The Iron Giant to make the Iron Giant himself appear 2D even though he was 3D. It's honestly the write approach to take when trying to blend 2D and 3D animation because otherwise your eyes are drawn to the obvious disparity in smoothness between the two.
It's been ages since I watched Iron Giant, but in my mind I never thought of the robot as 3D. Crazy.

Once you get a live action drama it seems less likely that you'll get an anime as well because those 3D shows always attract a far, far larger audience than an anime would.

Yeah. I'm trying to think of a show that got a jdrama first and then got an anime after, but nothing comes to mind in my admittedly limited knowledge of both. You can still get jdramas after animes because it is seen as an "upgrade" (I guess GTO and Patlabor are the latest examples), but I don't know if there have been ones that have gone the other way.

Ryuukan

They've done the anime OVAs before, but I don't know if anything came out of it... and since the jdrama already exists (DTL was the only one who watched it I guess?), I wonder if there's any incentive to do an adaptation.

I watched it, it was good.

summary:
vKAOVBT.jpg

fertygo

Magical Sisters - Yoyo and Nene

That was fun I guess, the visual is very pretty.. the animation, color, and even ufotable's trademark digital trickery is all so good. But I have some complaint.

This movie feel a lot like a movie for already established franchise than original stand-alone,like something that already had TV anime.. some character that you supposed to know just there without introduction or development, they're just fixed character that making cameo. I know the movie based from an manga, its would be nice if we getting TV adaptation first before getting this movie, I mean shit.. I thought both of the sister supposed to being MC, but instead the other one barely got focus, so lame. Its puzzling me why they chose this structure for this movie.

The writing also a bit mediocre, there's some story point that felt like should've telegraphed before before unveiled like
human use the app for selfish wish, and make the magic berserk
thus make some scene lacking impact because its not something that build up well, its a shame because the core scenario actually not too bad.

Oh well, maybe someday Ufotable making TV anime of this!

Ryuukan

I watched the first episode and it was basically when I gave up on Jdrama for a while. lol

I need something serious like Strawberry Night or I.S. again to want to go back. I couldn't even finish the second season of Akibaranger.

This is like giving up anime after watching Infinite Stratos

I heard the live action drama of Yamada and the Seven Witches is good. But I feel it wouldn't capture the essence of the manga and it's antics as well as an anime would. And miracles can happen, in hope it will one day come true.

Thoraxes

It's here. Ready to cry my eyes out. At first glance I think the Persona 3 movie has better packaging. Also really disappointed on what they did with Silver Spoon (which is basically Sentai level of bare bones).

I guess it's good I decided to hold off on Silver Spoon then. Is the quality decent at least?

BluWacky

Barakaemon 2

I didn't really like this episode at all and it was extremely disappointing compared to the first. It just felt incredibly rushed, nothing had anytime to breathe and the direction was amateurish.

Interesting - you've had a completely different reaction to this episode than pretty much every one else in the thread! Is there anything in particular you can point to that you thought was rushed, which seems to be your overall complaint?

Ryuukan

I heard the live action drama of Yamada and the Seven Witches is good. But I feel it wouldn't capture the essence of the manga and it's antics as well as an anime would. And miracles can happen, in hope it will one day come true.

It's hokey, short and Yamada's actor is way too old for the part

Overall low-tier compared to other anime/manga adaptations

Narag

Interesting - you've had a completely different reaction to this episode than pretty much every one else in the thread! Is there anything in particular you can point to that you thought was rushed, which seems to be your overall complaint?

I think hosanna had a similar reaction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is like giving up anime after watching Infinite Stratos
Except Infinite Stratos is a biting satire of harem anime. If a Jdrama went all in and made fun of the fact that they only cast crappy idols for their shows, then maybe I'd be all over it!

I mean, I watched the Yankee-kun adaptation all the way through (they had an original ending which thankfully lined up with the eventual manga ending), and that was "fine". But by the point that Yamada came out, I think I needed more from my live action shows than just pretty faces and bad lighting.

I guess it's good I decided to hold off on Silver Spoon then. Is the quality decent at least?
Sentai releases seem to be purely "functional" these days.

Chariot

It's hokey, short and Yamada's actor is way too old for the part

Overall low-tier compared to other anime/manga adaptations
I don't know I would put Negima and the beginning of Sailor Moon in the low tier.
Then again, I don't like Jdoramas in general.

What?! But it was really good and captured the spirit of the manga well, plus perfect actors for Yamada and Miyamura, and great performances by the others. I miss it though it was the only 3d show I completed since dropping Lost.

Caesnd

I think of it like the move away from film. There will always be someone who will insist on shooting on film, even once the last factory shuts down and they need to make their own film stock themselves.
Specific animation techniques will become boutique ventures for people who are using them for a specific aesthetic effect rather than out of necessity, at which point the very mode of production becomes a form of artistic expression. Just like Payne did with Nebraska when he shot it in black and white.

Yes. However, I've actually come around to looking forward to the Japanese animation industry exploring 3d even more. I feel they are capable of some amazing things if they embrace it completely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes. However, I've actually come around to looking forward to the Japanese animation industry exploring 3d even more. I feel they are capable of some amazing things if they embrace it completely.
I think it will be inevitable as companies look to churn out more shows at an even lower cost. And that'll ripple down to the other "sub-contractor" countries as well.

Caesnd

I think it will be inevitable as companies look to churn out more shows at an even lower cost. And that'll ripple down to the other "sub-contractor" countries as well.

Indeed, but if the cg animation industry were to expand in Japan it could give rise to increasingly creative work in that field as well.

Ping Pong: The Animation

You know I kinda avoided watching this because I don't like sports very much (soccer is the one exception). But a lot of themes in this show hit home for me, since I do indulge in playing fighting games competitively.

There so many interesting contrasts and parallels with the show, granted I felt like the team aspect of the show kinda was kinda brushed aside at the end.

But yeah, it was mistake to avoid this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A beaver ate his favourite jacket.

Ryuukan

Except Infinite Stratos is a biting satire of harem anime. If a Jdrama went all in and made fun of the fact that they only cast crappy idols for their shows, then maybe I'd be all over it!

"biting satire" lol KLK praising level of lies

Also, idols produce the best anime/manga adaptions. Matsujun stars in the top 3 greatest adaptions ever

Mature

Ping Pong: The Animation

You know I kinda avoided watching this because I don't like sports very much (soccer is the one exception). But a lot of themes in this show hit home for me, since I do indulge in playing fighting games competitively.

There so many interesting contrasts and parallels with the show, granted I felt like the team aspect of the show kinda was kinda brushed aside at the end.

But yeah, it was mistake to avoid this.
I imagine this being a hurdle for a lot of people— it is really unfortunate that the (possible) AOTY would be skipped for this misunderstanding. That is to say, it being confused with a typical "sports show".

A beaver ate his favourite jacket.
It can't be helped.

Chariot

Anime not deep enough.
I think it's just not what he expected.

Jex

Hmm I thought I read Hosanna and duckroll express similar thoughts.

Pretty much every single sequence feels rushed. We're introduced to brand new characters and are supposed to emphasise with them completely in a matter of minutes? A number of characters and situations are introduced and then immediately squeezed over to the side to introduce yet more characters and situations. The editing in every scene feels extremely rushed and unnatural. The jokes are piled ontop of each other to such a degree that they step all over each other.

It's feels very obviously rushed.

Jex

Indeed, but if the cg animation industry were to expand in Japan it could give rise to increasingly creative work in that field as well.

I don't know, CG in Japan doesn't look like it's improved at all in the last decade.

Narag

Layzner 4

So they finally left the base after four eps and the bit with Anna looking back at the Layzner was straight out of the ending of the Road Warrior. Convinced it did influence this now, especially since stealing fuel was a big part of the second half.

Chariot

Except Infinite Stratos is a biting satire of harem anime. If a Jdrama went all in and made fun of the fact that they only cast crappy idols for their shows, then maybe I'd be all over it!.
What. Infinite Stratos is satire by accident at best. It's just straight-up bad and tries to to somehow not collapsing.

Being satires of Shit is like multiplying by 0
This is exactly what I thought watching Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!. At first I thought: "Man, this is like a parody of anime like OreImo, awesome" but after two episodes I realized: "Shit, this is a parody of anime like OreImo."

Hmm I thought I read Hosanna and duckroll express similar thoughts.

Pretty much every single sequence feels rushed. We're introduced to brand new characters and are supposed to emphasise with them completely in a matter of minutes? A number of characters and situations are introduced and then immediately squeezed over to the side to introduce yet more characters and situations. The editing in every scene feels extremely rushed and unnatural. The jokes are piled ontop of each other to such a degree that they step all over each other.

It's feels very obviously rushed.

This is the curse of the 12 episode limit.

Plenty of shows have been only 12 episodes and not been rushed. You don't have to cram all the available manga material into a limited time frame just because you can - I'd rather get an adaptation that does justice to the material it covers. For recent examples see Flowers of Evil and Noragami.

At any rate, I hope that the second episode of Barakamon is not a sign of the quality of the rest of the episodes, because it would be a shame for Kinema Citrus to ruin the original material like that.

Chariot

There are movies and mini clips that can good stories and jokes within hours and minutes, and well, there a lot of good anime, too. It's the hardship of an adaption to make the best out of the source material and not blindly reconstruct it.

Firemind

It felt like slapstick at times than slice of life is my guess. Also, the moral of the episode was a bit rushed, yeah, and didn't really amount to anything.

Momo Kyun Sword 02

Another enjoyable episode. Damn. I could really go for some full, juicy, meaty peaches right about now. Great ED as well.

Pooya

I don't know, CG in Japan doesn't look like it's improved at all in the last decade.

I read somewhere a while back that good experienced cg artists don't stay in japan, they're paid way better else where, if you look at big studios in us or elsewhere, you usually see quite a few japanese names, from blizzard to pixar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom