• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never watched planetes. I hear good things. Might add it to my list.

That's why I picked it up, too.

However it surely is a slow burner unless you're immediately drawn to the character types early on, which I surely wasn't. But by now a bunch of them have grown on me quite a bit and it's a kinda refreshing setting as well.

Jintor

Planates is the very definition of a slow burn. However, it's enjoyable throughout and the payoff is fucking galactic in scale. And not in a TTGL kinda way, though I like that too.

That's why I picked it up, too.

However it surely is a slow burner unless you're immediately drawn to the character types early on, which I surely wasn't. But by now a bunch of them have grown on me quite a bit and it's a kinda refreshing setting as well.
You just reminded me I have completely forgotten to continue watching space bros. The slowest of all burns.

Persona 4 The golden Animation - 02

Excellent episode.
Indeed, there is no need to redo the same path you've already animated , let's just enjoy new things .

Persona%204%20The%20Golden%20Animation%20-%2002.jpg

It's going to fail so perfectly !

Ah ah , they actually combined the "close and personal" with marie route resulting in a great ep.

I like this.

Does anyone else always skip the OPs and EDs entirely for new shows?

These days, I want to avoid spoilers so much that I don't even want to see which characters are going to be of importance (hence usually shown in the OP). I do sometimes listen to them but put the video in the background for the duration. Probably wouldn't actually get anything spoiled or so by this point but I've yet to watch Planetes OP and ED in their entirety.

cajunator

Banned
Does anyone else always skip the OPs and EDs entirely for new shows?

These days, I want to avoid spoilers so much that I don't even want to see which characters are going to be of importance (hence usually shown in the OP). I do sometimes listen to them but put the video in the background for the duration. Probably wouldn't actually get anything spoiled or so by this point but I've yet to watch Planetes OP and ED in their entirety.

I dont if I really like the OP. Usually I just let it run and if its not one I like I just play with my phone or something until its over.

You're reminding me that I need to finish Planetes. I watched the first half two years ago and never finished it for whatever reason.

If ever a show was worth your time that one is it.

You know even though I don't like her, I feel like the closest thing to a decent female character would be Asuka. She has reasons for being who she is, goes through a mental breakdown and rises above it. She is competent without being overbearing about it. She hampered by being the main love interest of a 14 year old boy, but she is still solid otherwise.

I don't like Balsa, I always felt that she was too competent, she beats up everyone, she a good mother, she has mental fortitude to not breakdown when there is real trouble. Her main failing is that she doesn't understand the feelings of her main love interests. :/

Unless already mentioned, isn't that mom from Wolf Children a rather strong character? When watching that movie I at times thought to myself that she does too much and complains too little.

Kinda the problem with STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS, they are just not very human, and are really not different from action movie leads.

Jarmel

Banned
Gaijins sure love Terror in Resonance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1PgWw8FqE
(start at 1:10)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I remember that. Watanabe made a request before the premiere that he wanted to know what the audience thought of the show. So Funimation after the two episodes started filming these short interviews to be sent back to him. I can't stop laughing at the fact that someone gave this to the news.

Terror in Resonance 2

Where I can't say "whatever" is in the part where they announce they had 0 deaths and 0 heavy injured, after shown images like these, that seems taken from 9/11

I lol'ed in real life. Are they doing it because they still want to represent the MC as somewhat good guys? I dunno.

I mentioned this last week that I had huge fucking problems with the death count. I'm not necessarily sure where they're going with this before I condemn it though. The idea that there would be 0 deaths seems way too much of a stretch and it looks like
the police station bomb
won't generate deaths either. It seems like the writing is trying to have its' cake and eat it too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kayos is the strong female protagonist of this thread who will save me from these discussions.

Elfen Lied 04

Haven't they only known Nyu for 3 days or something? :p

Girls touching eachother in weird ways and it's not the length of the vector that counts. Poor Nana though, and Kohta got some kind of messed up harem now.

sonicmj1

I feel like the female cast of FLCL doesn't get enough credit sometimes. Even if things can seem almost harem-like on a surface level, the three main characters (Haruko, Mamimi, Ninamori) are all using Naota to solve problems or fill holes in their own lives. All three have rich, emotionally complex inner lives that have nothing to do with him.

Is there a reason that Utena hasn't been mentioned yet?

cajunator

Banned
You know even though I don't like her, I feel like the closest thing to a decent female character would be Asuka. She has reasons for being who she is, goes through a mental breakdown and rises above it. She is competent without being overbearing about it. She hampered by being the main love interest of a 14 year old boy, but she is still solid otherwise.

I don't like Balsa, I always felt that she was too competent, she beats up everyone, she a good mother, she has mental fortitude to not breakdown when there is real trouble. Her main failing is that she doesn't understand the feelings of her main love interests. :/

Kinda the problem with STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS, they are just not very human, and are really not different from action movie leads.

Kino was quite human. She's a very good marksman because she practices all the time but otherwise shes a traveler.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my Planetes DVDs from Bandai for some Blu-rays. Wonder if news of someone license rescuing this at Otakon will happen, along with the other Sunrise series from FUNimation and Sentai.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I feel like the female cast of FLCL doesn't get enough credit sometimes. Even if things can seem almost harem-like on a surface level, the three main characters (Haruko, Mamimi, Ninamori) are all using Naota to solve problems or fill holes in their own lives. All three have rich, emotionally complex inner lives that have nothing to do with him.
Rich and emotionally complex inner lives that all revolve around chasing men.

I mentioned this last week that I had huge fucking problems with the death count. I'm not necessarily sure where they're going with this before I condemn it though. The idea that there would be 0 deaths seems way too much of a stretch and it looks like
the police station bomb
won't generate deaths either. It seems like the writing is trying to have its' cake and eat it too.

Yeh when I heard that there were supposedly the zero deaths I just rolled my eyes. Especially given the devastating imagery provided. Was almost cute how they added 14 or so lightly injured people...

As far as the police station bombing goes, it looked like that'll have casualties for sure? I mean not only wasn't there any time to evacuate as this was a real bomb but if none of the people get hit by any of that debris falling down they'd be rather lucky as well. That said, they didn't show that anyone was actually in the police station shortly before the explosion and maybe we're supposed to believe everyone left the station in order to chase down the next potential bombing location? Sounds a bit odd and unlikely however, especially since sure as hell not every last person would leave the building.

I'm hoping they do not keep this zero deaths count going. In a show that tries to be somewhat realistic this is just completely destroying my suspension of disbelief.

Is there a reason that Utena hasn't been mentioned yet?
If they are that good, Yoji Enokido must have really lost his way since then.
Kayos is the strong female protagonist of this thread who will save me from these discussions.
Don't you mean duckroll?

I don't praise a monkey because he didn't throw shit at my face one out of the 20 times I've been at the zoo. He can enjoy decent anime it doesn't make up for his horrible taste.

Regardless I was laughing at the opening line.

cajunator

Banned
I don't praise a monkey because he didn't throw shit at my face one out of the 20 times I've been at the zoo. He can enjoy decent anime it doesn't make up for his horrible taste.

Never said it did. But chaika is too good to really criticize it much. I mean its not a masterpiece but it was competently written and enjoyable for what it was.

JoeFu

Banned
i'm becoming part of the problem

i'm watching these cute girls doing cute things shows now. something i thought i would never do

the anime rabbit hole is getting too deep

Superflat

i'm becoming part of the problem

i'm watching these cute girls doing cute things shows now. something i thought i would never do

the anime rabbit hole is getting too deep

You need to watch "cute girls doing awesome things" anime

Girls und Panzer
Yama no Susume
Sabagebu

My top CGDCT picks are:

Minami-ke
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star

JoeFu

Banned
Sabagebu is super legit

I watched Lucky Star a while back, same with Azumaga Daioh. Watched YuruYuri, halfway done with the rabbit thingy and uh what else. I guess Locodol counts or something and I'm enjoying that. Also watched all of Love Live because of the stupid game.

cajunator

Banned
Sabagebu is super legit

I watched Lucky Star a while back, same with Azumaga Daioh. Watched YuruYuri, halfway done with the rabbit thingy and uh what else. I guess Locodol counts or something and I'm enjoying that. Also watched all of Love Live because of the stupid game.

watch Kinmoza

Firemind

You need to watch "cute girls doing awesome things" anime

Girls und Panzer
Yama no Susume
Sabagebu

My top CGDCT picks are:

Minami-ke
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star

To be fair, there's really only one cute girl in both Minami-ke and Azumanga Daioh, which is more of a compliment than anything else. Most of these cute girl shows nowadays may as well be clones of each other with different coloured hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom