• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

JoEPZKq.png
The prophecy has been fulfilled.

*Eureka Seven Episode 26 Talk*

GOAT.

Those are good points you bring up there Jarmel.

Many things you listed there are subtle little clever things that I didn't really think through when I was watching that episode. I was too busy stirring in my excitement for the huge upcoming confrontation.

When I was watching episode 26, I was expecting something massive. With the way they built up their relationship as father and son, I was kind of expecting Renton to have to fight against each Charles in their mechs in one way or another.

Actually it didn't even have to be that. I wanted to see a big mecha fight in general. Not just the taking down of regular foot soldiers, two major characters battling it out with each other in giant robots.

But as you said, that episode was about resolution. All Renton wanted to do was be with Eureka and didn't intend on fighting anybody. On a romantic anime viewpoint, that episode went beautifully. So I guess it was unreasonable of me to keep my expectations so high for a fight. I guess this episode is just one of those things some people have to see more than once to truly appreciate. With me being one of them.

But I digress. I'm not finished the show yet and others here have stated that Renton's REAL awesome moment still hasn't come up yet. There's still the inevitable rematch against theEND that I'm really looking forward to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how is anime for somebody looking for strong female protagonists? I mean sure there are shows but it seems like a grand majority wouldn't have a strong lead. I mean anime probably has more female protagonists than say western media, but so many of them are there for the sake of male viewers.
The flip side is that a lot of shows would pass the very basic Bechdel Test, by virtue of these shows not having any men in them. lol

phaze

Toradora 01

Dear lord Taiga is crazy.

That was really good and genuinely funny. Great gags and top notch VA's. I didn't feel the character design beforehand but seeing those characters in action, they clicked with me instantly. Ryuji is already likable (his "dangerous" faces crack me up) and Taiga seems to have some Senjougahara'esqe levels of violence in her. Hitagi's perpetual bullying of Arararararagi never got old for me so I think I won't have any problems with her as well. Those red school uniforms made me realize that I saw some fight scene from this while going through animator's MAD's on Youtube but thankfully I can't recall any specifics.

It is (seemingly at least)a bit obvious where the story will go but we will see. Great first episode

Wish I had Ryuji's cleaning skills. ;(

Toradora 01

Dear lord Taiga is crazy.

That was really good and genuinely funny. Great gags and top notch VA's. I didn't feel the character design beforehand but seeing those characters in action, they clicked with me instantly. Ryuji is already likable (his "dangerous" faces crack me up) and Taiga seems to have some Senjougahara'esqe levels of violence in her. Hitagi's perpetual bullying of Arararararagi never got old for me so I think I won't have any problems with her as well. Those red school uniforms made me realize that I saw some fight scene from this while going through animator's MAD's on Youtube but thankfully I can't recall any specifics.

It is (seemingly at least)a bit obvious where the story will go but we will see. Great first episode

Wish I had Ryuji's cleaning skills. ;(
You used to be cool.

It's time to cut some goddamn fat.

Rail Wars!

Dropped

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

Dropped

Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen

Dropped. Again.

Tokyo ESP

Eh, this show could be cool.

3000f6dae7.jpg

Gee thanks Uncle Ben

Pretty nice OP.
And I guess the song that sounds like the Mirai Nikki OP is the ED. It's pretty nice too. But that it's uh... pretty lewd.

Oh, yeah. It's by Xebec. Thank you for reminding me, first 3 minutes and last 3 minutes.
Main character's dad looks like the most Yakuza guy ever.
So I guess the second episode was actually the first one and the first one started out in the middle of the series? That's kind of confusing.

Chariot

Guess who's back from work and ready to make mass quotations!

I mean I can agree that we get to know characters like Togasa better over the course of the show but I just can't agree with the rest of this post. Not at all. The Major is a developed character not some cipher.
Well, it's maybe wrong to call her undeveloped, she had that one Origami episode, but that was more of explaination was happened in the past, no development inside the show. It's like she is already developed and has nowhere to got. Like a level 99 Charizard with boobs.
Don't misunderstand me. That doesen't make her a bad protagonist, since the story revolves more about others, but it doesen't make her a good character.

Not that I would defend AoT. But she took the news oh his death pretty well at the very beginning of the series.

Don't know if her character changed after the first arcs.
After Eren "died" she went on a wild rampage and was not able to see straight, so she ran out of gas quickly and crashed. She didn't take that well, no matter how matter how cool the scene with DOA was.

Touma doesn't live for other people. He just does what he thinks is right. Does helping people in trouble, when you have the ability to do so, make you a beta?
All I was saying, is your criticisms make no sense. He has no hobbies, so what? He goes to school, so what? How do these things make him a bad protagonist?
It's perfectly fine to say you don't like him. But if you're going to call him a bad protagonist at least come up with some better complaints.
The only complaint I would have about Touma is his relationship with Index. But that's more the author's fault for making such a useless unattractive main heroine.
My whole point is in it's core, that Touma is not a living character, but a tool for the story. As you said he has no time, because he is constantly helping somebody and the few peaceful days are pretty much glossed over. This is not a character, its a tool.

And what I pretty much forgot, because I had to prepare to leave for work was what other said: he just does what he thinks is right, even if it seems stupid or wrong, but because he is the protagonist everything works out perfectly. He could try to hump an atomic missle to stop it from hitting Washington D.C. and it would be the exact right thing to do in that moment.
No that just means that unlike many other characters he hasn't had an arc for him to explain and devellop his character, his character is just fine , you just need some context to accept it.
Problem is that he lost his memories ( diudn't even recall the face of his parents ) and he will and have made those characters arc when his memories and his naivety will come bite him in the ass ( witch is precisely what is happenning currently in the books )
it's been months, maybe weeks since he lost his memories. He should've made new ones by now. He lost his memories once, he doesen't lose them constantly. But he developed nothing. He doesen't even care for doing stuff with anybody, people come to him for being friends and social contacs.

But if he developed, he wouldn't be Touma any more.
That's not how character development works. Why wouldn't he be Touma when he grows and develops? That is actually one of my problems. Touma isn't a human, he is a concept at this point.

Never enough Neptunia
True words.

That's why I picked it up, too.

However it surely is a slow burner unless you're immediately drawn to the character types early on, which I surely wasn't. But by now a bunch of them have grown on me quite a bit and it's a kinda refreshing setting as well.

also if you like hard scifi watch it

Planetes the hardest sci-fi space show, Spaceship Operators is pretty Hard but not as good overall

Time to marathon my GJ-bu BDs since FUNimation has yet to stream Barakamon. I need something relaxing to watch after such a disastrous week.

Hey look at the positive side, when Funimation streams Barakamon. Instead of watching 1 episode you'll get to watch 2 or 3 in one go. Unless Funimation messes that up.

Elfen Lied 10

That's something one doesn't see every day.

So more backstory, but Kuramas this time, and I guessed right. But they kept her alive, eh? And now they're releasing another, even stronger one? That can't be safe.

Chariot

Tokyo ESP 02

Oh God. This is a horrible adaption. The direction of the fights were horrendous. I couldn't feel the action at all. Everything was so slow and uneventful. Then the scene where she falls through the floor. It looked like this in the manga, but I can't even post the animeversion here. Thanks for the added fanservice. -.-

Also the characterdesigns look way more generic, she doesn't look cute anymore and nothing looks like Hajime Segawa's style anymore. Design aside, this show is seriously lacking his cute SD reaction faces. blergh.

It actually feels a lot like Judge End. All the fun sucked out.

I need a webm of Kirara's antics at the end of GJ-bu episode 2.

Hey I was trying to make Lighting feel better. But I guess your right Funimation does love leaving people in the dust. Though I do love some of their BD releases.

I can deal with streaming delays. I don't have a premium membership for either FUNimation or Crunchyroll, so I do have to wait a week to watch simulcasts anyway. I may just import the Japanese BDs since there are only four volumes, adding up to around ¥4600 per volume (going off of Amazon sale price). Some of FUNimation's past releases have had questionable packaging.

BGBW's post makes me want another series of Neptunia.

There is never enough neptunia.

---------------
Captain earth - 12
Solid episode with just enough backstory to keep going.
Captain%20Earth%20-%2012.jpg

Travelling and not enjoying every region delicacy ? fatal error
I hope this one won't turn like the others.

Oh and i don't know what the heck is happenning with every characters twist they pull off on characters that should be revelant

I wish i could explore for "education purposes" everywhere i want like that.Power of the magical girl i guess

Hugstable

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 1-4

Started watching this yesterday to take a break from all the seriousness and despair of Fate/Zero and I'm surprised to find myself liking alot of the characters here so far. I didn't like the first episode all that much where they tried that documentary style but I have been liking everything since then. Favorites so far have to be Makoto, Chihaya, and Takane (funny).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Thanks for that write up jarmel, that might be the push I need to finally struggle through those 10 or so episodes of E7 I always watch before putting it off and then having to start it again from the beginning because it was so long I forgot what happened

Captain earth - 13
So now everyone is introduced , now ? can we get to the fun stuff ?

Oh and that fight was cool , but wasn't as intense as i thought ..it's really too bad since the camera work and the angles were damn fine, but somehow it was lacking

"i don't have this level of control yet "

Too bad since if you had , you would have been able to live a pretty good life.

jgminto

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 16
i1tjU6KgDaF2h.png

Steely Dan is one handsome man...
The Lovers fight is so good. The Enya part is pretty slow but once it gets to
Jotaro being Dan's slave
it's really fun the whole way through. The bartering scene at the beginning was also really well done.

Tokyo ESP 02

Oh God. This is a horrible adaption. The direction of the fights were horrendous. I couldn't feel the action at all. Everything was so slow and uneventful. Then the scene where she falls through the floor. It looked like this in the manga, but I can't even post the animeversion here. Thanks for the added fanservice. -.-

Also the characterdesigns look way more generic, she doesn't look cute anymore and nothing looks like Hajime Segawa's style anymore. Design aside, this show is seriously lacking his cute SD reaction faces. blergh.

It actually feels a lot like Judge End. All the fun sucked out.

I can't compare with the manga, but yeah, dropped. Second episode and I'm seeing already some quality, unexciting action, fanservice, and don't like the music.

Andrew J.

I wonder how is anime for somebody looking for strong female protagonists? I mean sure there are shows but it seems like a grand majority wouldn't have a strong lead. I mean anime probably has more female protagonists than say western media, but so many of them are there for the sake of male viewers.

Watch Moribito if you haven't already.

Same goes for everyone else in this thread. And read the novels, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom