• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

School Days 7

Son of a Bitch. You know what would solve all of this? If this dude would just grow a fucking pair and
break one of their hearts
. Yeah, breaking up sucks. You know what sucks more?
Being stringed along.
The delicious thing here is that you could say this about just about every shonen harem protagonist. Just a few more character flaws here and there and you got a monster

School Days 12

Ue9mmE8.jpg

And a nice boat it was. A final ride into the sunset to end a journey of mistaken lovers.

School Days Series Final Impressions

This is a psychological thriller of a man who has a moral compass that goes beyond the normal limits. Makoto works hard to please every girl he meets and ensures the first time he helps them will be the last. He is a loving, caring person. He always helps those in need be it to replace a fallen companion, do the heavy lifting or taking out the trash. He is always there for you and you can always depend on him. Makoto-sama's teachings should be wide spread and fully available to everyone who wishes to know what a truly moral human being is.

Konotoha was his faithful girlfriend throughout the series. She worked hard for him no matter the circumstances. She was always there for him, constantly phoning and texting to ensure he was okay. She learned to do many things such as cooking, sewing and cleaning just to please him. Kotonoha was a wonderful person and a fantastic girlfriend. Makoto was lucky to have her.

Sekai had many problems throughout the anime but Makoto was almost always there to set her straight. In the end, her emotional baggage was far too much even for Makoto to handle so he rightful abandoned her. Nothing can save you from yourself Sekai.

Overall the series was animated and music was present. The entire cast contributed to Makoto's cause of improving the human condition and created an overwhelming "feels good" moment. If humanity could follow the ways of Makoto we will truly be saved.

The end was not entirely shocking but was appropriate for School Days. A war was brewing from the start and inevitably blood will be shed.
Makoto died for our sins.
It's a shame the child was a conception of lies from the hearts of the misguided.

Thank you MikeHattsu for this wonderful experience. I give the series a 10/10 and the highest rating I have ever given an anime. It is something I shall never forget.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For some reason it really irritates me when you describe School Days as Greek/Shakespearean tragedy. I know you're technically right -
the audience gains catharsis through the protagonist being laid low by his own hubris etc.
- but the banality of the setting and its anime trappings mean I can't bring to class it as such. I am a snob!
Haha, trust me, I only make the comparison on technical grounds to begin with, as in no way is School Days as well written as such points of comparison, but that's obvious and boring.

I do think it only really works as tragedy now that we know it is one, though. When the show originally aired, no-one was quite sure which of the VN endings they were going to go with, so no-one really knew what to expect from it aside from the fact that the ending used was in the game. Traditionally you KNOW what you're getting when you see a tragedy - particularly Classical, but even Shakespeare's plays are normally known as "The Tragedy of _______" in the folios - whereas with School Days part of what makes it so infamous is its subversion of expectations, rather than playing up to them.
Well, given the reception among those who go in completely cold versus those who know Makoto is going to die somehow, I'm led to believe that people are better off with the latter. That's part of why I make the point in the first place, so people are able to watch it build to that untimely end rather than have it sprung on them. Otherwise there's a lot that's simply too dull to work.

Sola 06

Everybody is now out of the hospital, and there's some weird backstory shown. Apparently there's more people like Matsuri in the story, and Mana isn't a childhood friend after all.

Matsuris voice reminds me a bit of Kotomi in Clannad, and after looking it up now that's not strange at all.

jgminto

If people really want to watchbet something, you could always bust out the pocket sized Mars of Destruction. Aldnoah Zero wishes it was as good. Amazing 2D visuals, a masterful soundtrack Sawano could only dream of rivalling and writing that would shock even Urobuchi.

I'm up for watch bets after I finish Bacanno! As Mike said I feel like I'm mentally prepared for anything now. Hopefully Bacanno! is actually good. I need a good pallet cleanser after the end of the great Makoto.

Pooya

Isn't watchbetting about watching terrible things? I don't really know what this is about, bet what. Don't get it, seems dumb

Isn't watchbetting about watching terrible things? I don't really know what this is about, bet what. Don't get it, seems dumb

Oh, is that what it's about? I thought it was just about getting a person to watch something you want more people to see. I mean, yeah, that can sometimes involve things like School Days, sure but...

Chariot

Not neccary was far as I watched MikeHattsu making watchbets with people. Just people exchanging animeshows the other one usually wouldn't watch.

Barakamon 3

This was a much better episode than the last one, and I'm enjoying the show, but I can't say I understand the extreme love this show is getting.

cajunator

Banned
Oh yes, she is. Although I still could enjoy a buddy show with just our favorite kittys.

Eh, both shows are very different kind. School Days is for the the kind of people who enjoy "deep" and "psychological" shows and Code Geass more for the people for are very empathic and sorry for the anorexic CLAMP characters?

Everyone wants to be a kool kid.Whahahaha, yes, yeeeeees.

KITTIES <3 <3 <3

He dropped upwards.

Indeed so.

Don't spoil shit when people are watching it, yo.

Seriously. This kind of winking/prodding needs to stop when people are watching.

southern hemisphere

Yes I know but whereeeeee?

Australia.

Oh oki then ^^

School Days 12

And a nice boat it was. A final ride into the sunset to end a journey of mistaken lovers.

This is a psychological thriller of a man who has a moral compass that goes beyond the normal limits. Makoto works hard to please every girl he meets and ensures the first time he helps them will be the last. He is a loving, caring person. He always helps those in need be it to replace a fallen companion, do the heavy lifting or taking out the trash. He is always there for you and you can always depend on him. Makoto-sama's teachings should be wide spread and fully available to everyone who wishes to know what a truly moral human being is.

Konotoha was his faithful girlfriend throughout the series. She worked hard for him no matter the circumstances. She was always there for him, constantly phoning and texting to ensure he was okay. She learned to do many things such as cooking, sewing and cleaning just to please him. Kotonoha was a wonderful person and a fantastic girlfriend. Makoto was lucky to have her.

Sekai had many problems throughout the anime but Makoto was almost always there to set her straight. In the end, her emotional baggage was far too much even for Makoto to handle so he rightful abandoned her. Nothing can save you from yourself Sekai.

Overall the series was animated and music was present. The entire cast contributed to Makoto's cause of improving the human condition and created an overwhelming "feels good" moment. If humanity could follow the ways of Makoto we will truly be saved.

The end was not entirely shocking but was appropriate for School Days. A war was brewing from the start and inevitably blood will be shed.
It's a shame the child was a conception of lies from the hearts of the misguided.

Thank you MikeHattsu for this wonderful experience. I give the series a 10/10 and the highest rating I have ever given an anime. It is something I shall never forget.

This was marvelous!

Sola 07

I wish I was watching Kanon right now...

Matsuri disappears and there's lots of drama. Yorito finds her again and then it suddenly ends with a what the hell moment.

I had one of these with ice cream and red bean in it and it was WAAAAAY too sweet.

-Setsuna-

Watched the first two eps of Ao Haru Ride and, despite a handful of silly dialogues and situations, I have to say that it was quite enjoyable. Not particularly original or exceptionally well written, but certainly charming, even touching at times.
I'm not a big fan of today's manga/anime (except for the delightful, timeless works of Mitsuru Adachi), but I'll definitely try to follow Aoharaido until its conclusion.

Tizoc

Anyone watched the Kingdom anime series? How is the pacing compared to the manga? Does it go the way of adapting 1 chapter into 1 episode?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone watched the Kingdom anime series? How is the pacing compared to the manga? Does it go the way of adapting 1 chapter into 1 episode?
You should ask AnimeGAF's number one Kingdom fan Wonzo when he comes back from digging up clams on the beach.

So I watched SAO II ep 3. As expected, pacing issues. I assure you the LN suffers from the same bullshit, though to a lesser extent.

Its finally gotten to a point where the LN is actually better than the anime.
ah ah .

I disagree . The anime never was even remotely on the same level as the books.At least for part 1 & 2 ( since i haven't seen part 3 yet ,because i have read the book more times than necessary )

Wait, there's more of this shit? :p
When does it just merge with Accel World? lol

Never ? the Accel world technology is barely in alpha stages at this point in SAO

Aldnoah Zero ep2

I'm not really liking the vast amount of, ultimately correct, assumptions that our smart MC figures out in little time.

There's actually one big contradiction. The MC goes into detail how nothing can pass through that Mech's shield, not even light, particles etc. Yet the thing has external camera drones which... uhm send their data to the Mech how exactly?

Through the weak points we see later on? I'd imagine the reception would be quite awful then, considering how well hidden and small those spots are.

I mean meh, I can see how that can work out I just don't like how they go all "no information can enter the mech... so there must be camera drones that send information to the mech!"

School Days 8

God damn it. God fucking damn it. Who do you think you are? Kirito? This ain't Sword Art Online. YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO BE THIS DUMB AND HAVE THIS MANY GIRLS IN YOUR HAREM!! You can't make super sweet and thoughtful decisions and the next moment make a thoughtless dumb one. YOU'RE THINKING WITH THE WRONG HEAD PAL!!!

None of this can end well. None of it.

You can't really blame him at the end there. He was clearly
unconscious while she stuck her tongue down his throat, which would wake up any normal person

Yes. Yes.

Deeper. Go deeper.

zonezeus

Aldnoah Zero ep2

I'm not really liking the vast amount of, ultimately correct, assumptions that our smart MC figures out in little time.

There's actually one big contradiction. The MC goes into detail how nothing can pass through that Mech's shield, not even light, particles etc. Yet the thing has external camera drones which... uhm send their data to the Mech how exactly?

Through the weak points we see later on? I'd imagine the reception would be quite awful then, considering how well hidden and small those spots are.

I mean meh, I can see how that can work out I just don't like how they go all "no information can enter the mech... so there must be camera drones that send information to the mech!"

I don't think Inaho ever mentions
camera drones specifically, he just suspects the Martian mech is being fed information from the outside and from its pilot's reluctance to purse Inaho's team through the tunnel he infers this external source of data must be located somewhere in the sky. Ultimately, for his plan's sake it doesn't matter if it's a drone, spy plane or a satellite, he just hoped that if they flush the whole area with (IR?) smoke it will be enough to mess with this external sensor, whatever it is.

Mahouka 16
Batman-nii-sama shows off his OPness with a bunch of flips, cancelling magic almost as soon as it sets up.
surviving a supposedly lethal blast with near instantaneous healing like a system restore and sacrificing his eardrum to knock out his foe with a snap. Also, can understand a conversation completely by reading lips
. The other dude is a tank only getting the wind knocked out of him by the air bullets and surving a motorcycle crashing into him.

Jintor

Cowboy the Bebop 21 - "Boogie Woogie Feng Shui"

Probably one of the few episodes of Bebop I don't really think is any good. Jet follows a message, visits a graveyard, tags on with the daughter of an old friend and gets chased by the Blues Brothers. While it lets Jet explore some paternal instincts and generally broaden his character arc, it feels relatively clumsy next to Bebop's normally smooth-feeling storytelling, relies heavily on Jet's narration to tie certain elements together instead of just showing it like Bebop normally does, and there's a lot of guff about feng shui in there. It's also really ham-handed about the girl and her problems with her father. Not to mention her voice acting is kinda crap all-up. One of Bebop's weakest episodes. It's still got some decent hyperspace dogfighting sequences though, at least until Spike shoots a rock with a giant laser and it opens a wormhole in space-time.

Still, it's hard not to feel a little twinge when the message fades out near the end.

Cowboy the Bebop 22 - "Cowboy Funk"

This is a concept I don't feel is that great - a one note joke about Spike being accidentally shadowed by an idiotic doppelganger - that nonetheless is told hilariously well. Like, just the inherently ridiculousness of Andy and his stupid horse, as well as the Teddie Bomber who despite being the actual villain of the episode is continually overshadowed by their stupidity. Some glorious destruction shots as well as some unexpectedly funny bits of Spike getting frustrated and crapped on, as well as the stylish-looking masquerade party and subsequent chase. Also, non CG cars!

There is literally no reason for Andy to be this stupid, but it is pretty funny. The recurring joke of Teddie being interrupted both in terms of bombing or when explaining his grievances or even when entirely being ignored when Spike and Andy show up for their grudge match is absolutely hilarious. An all-around hilarious episode with some surprisingly good animation for what is essentially one huge joke - the rooftop fight is bloody amazing.

Cowboy the Bebop 23 - "Brain Scratch"

One of the more disquieting episodes of Bebop, creepy in a more weirdly philosophical way. Though I get the feeling it was more inspired by the crazy cults that were more prolific in Japanese society back in the 90s, so it feels a little unfamiliar to a western audience. The initial TV-style presentation is really cool though, completely with terrible scan-lines and hideously crappy presentation.

Wait, is this just the logical conclusion of SAO - upload your brainwaves into the internet? Probably yeah.

The little background joke of Spike pouring beer over his cornflakes is hilarious. Also Big Shot getting cancelled and Judy dropping out of character: funny as hell. As well as Jet lining up for a Morpheus kit.

Ein's such a smart data dog. Best hacker on the ship.

Some beautiful shots of Spike wandering through the abandoned building to find Faye, as well as the stack of monitors, and then some nieschezian philosophy for Spike from some crazy comatose kid.

An oddly touching episode, in the end, if still disquieting.

Rail Wars 3

dang.

this dude and his fucking harem. How big is it gonna get?

SAO 2

I like all the character and plot building this has done so far. Another good episode, and I'm excited to see the GGO arc start proper next episode

Tokyo Ghoul 3

Kaneki finally starting to be useful and be assertive.

I really like this how.

Glassdrama 3

Poor guy :( she didn't realise his poem was about her...

I'm rooting for those 2 as best couple. Sacchi's adorable and the dude is trying really hard.

cajunator

Banned
ah ah .

I disagree . The anime never was even remotely on the same level as the books.At least for part 1 & 2 ( since i haven't seen part 3 yet ,because i have read the book more times than necessary )

Never ? the Accel world technology is barely in alpha stages at this point in SAO

Hopefully they dont ever merge these two shows. Accel World is so much better. It doesnt meed to be dragged down by SAO.

Narag

Captain Earth 8

iR29vtxl.png
lmQOIAVl.jpg
UUKUoT6l.jpg

Got real Eva all of a sudden.

leYtJX2l.png
d8Y2FH0l.png

ADz9E0Gl.png
ts1438Rl.png

Haven't went through the franchise yet so really can't feel as certain but what little I've picked up through cultural osmosis makes me think of Patlabor with the above.
That was nice if only for everything feeling like it's all finally in motion.

Hugstable

Banned
School Days 12

Holy crap you actually finished it already!? LOL

The ending is filled with only the nicest of boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom