• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanayamata
Wouldn't you want to find one of these under your desk?
yM1gqczl.png

Tackle-hugs too:
GB3vXTTl.jpg

I decided to check the show out and I'm glad I did. Take Kiniro Mosaic, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka, Yama no Susume and a touch of Tamayura (and perhaps even Aria) and you've got this show. Super genki foreigner girl obsessed with Japan making friends with an extremely shy Japanese girl who wants to discover her own identity and find her place in the world through the art of yasakoi dance.

WUTAzKdl.png

Yes, the hand holding is obvious, but the faint thread that connects the two girls is a very nice touch. I mean, on the one hand it's similar Kawaisou from last season, but remove the complication of a crappy romance and suddenly it becomes a simple story without any of those complications.
Even the jealous friend gimmick in the second episode is resolved pretty quickly.

If Sabagebu is the black comedic take on the all-girl homosocial friendship, then Hanayamata is the sugary-sweet irony-free version of that particular kind of story. Yes, it's something that I've seen many times. And sure, it's pandering to me in a very specific way that hits my specific peccadillo, but I'm more than happy to have another one of these shows to watch. I guess I'll never really get tired of characters who find wonder in everyday things and using that to improve their lives. Funny, sweet, happy, this is a show that's really made to make you feel good about the characters finding their own happiness.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days is part of the list so in some ways you should be drawn into watching it from your own curiosity.

Blablurn

Alright. I finished School Days. Took me less than a day lol. I liked the first half way more than the second one. Too much drama and nonsense I guess. I enjoyed the build up of the love triangle. Sekai all the way tho. Fuck Kono. She was creepy.

Thoraxes

Space Dandy - 16

The wait for that
sailing scene
on bluray is going to be fucking agonizing.

Really awesome episode. Based Yuasa.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Alright. I finished School Days. Took me less than a day lol. I liked the first half way more than the second one. Too much drama and nonsense I guess. I enjoyed the build up of the love triangle. Sekai all the way tho. Fuck Kono. She was creepy.

School Days should be savoured like a good meal. You take your time with each mouthful and appreciate each one and assess them carefully. If you're gonna gulp down anime like a Big Mac watch something throw away like
████████

Blablurn

School Days should be savoured like a good meal. You take your time with each mouthful and appreciate each one and assess them carefully. If you're gonna gulp down anime like a Big Mac watch something throw away like
████████

I couldn't stop tho

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 3:

I am not sure if this is the best comedy of the season, but it is certainly the most meta-textual of the bunch. Anyway, so this time we get the addition of Kashima, the eventual yuri send up that I was expecting. While I was thoroughly entertained by that bit, I was less enthused by her quite frankly fucked up relationship to Hori.
Yea, not digging the violence, I understand it was for comedic effect, but yea, no, that was not sitting well with me at all.
I did like the dramatical reading, top notch stuff there, but still I would call this the weakest episode thus far just because I don't like Hori all that much.

Now a question:

Are you OK with the female on male violence exhibited by most generic tsundere characters? Because this is at that level.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Now a question:

Are you OK with the female on male violence exhibited by most generic tsundere characters? Because this is at that level.

Not really, always thought it was an over-response and honestly that is some of the shit that truly ruined Love Hina. Also, the gag is so standard I find it boring and indeed it got old quick here as well. Then there was that turn for the genuinely creepy.
That bit with Kashima expressing with affection that Hori is the only one who hits on her is a moment I genuinely hate
and in fact I almost binned this series right on the spot over.

jgminto

Space Dandy 16

Wow, absolutely stunning. I think the boat scene might have been one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen. Yuasa is an animation god, that was truly a work of art.

duckroll

Space Dandy 16

Wow, absolutely stunning. I think the boat scene might have been one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen. Yuasa is an animation god, that was truly a work of art.

The two key cuts during the sailing scene (both about 15 seconds long) were animated by Shinya Ohira. He's a super animator also directed the Ping Pong opening sequence and the first Asura's Wrath animated DLC, among other godly things. :)

Vylash

Just have to catch up on One Piece and Fairy tail after Happiness Charge and I'll finally be caught up with everything...I'll never catch up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not really, always thought it was an over-response and honestly that is some of the shit that truly ruined Love Hina. Also, the gag is so standard I find it boring and indeed it got old quick here as well. Then there was that turn for the genuinely creepy.
That bit with Kashima expressing with affection that Hori is the only one who hits on her is a moment I genuinely hate
and in fact I almost binned this series right on the spot over.

Well she
says that he hits her, not hit on her. Kind of a difference there.
:p

Also honestly it's a pretty standard tsundere parody.

jgminto

The two key cuts during the sailing scene (both about 15 seconds long) were animated by Shinya Ohira. He's a super animator also directed the Ping Pong opening sequence and the first Asura's Wrath animated DLC, among other godly things. :)

Ah ok, I definitely noticed similarities to the Ping Pong OP.

Jintor

Yea, I found it far more glib and disturbing then they were intending.

I actually did too, a bit, but not because of the violence (it's clearly loony-toons level if anything) but more because it's not really someone would actually say and thus broke the joke for me a little

Yea, I found it far more glib and disturbing then they were intending.
I normally dislike over the top tsundere violence too, but not so much when I see one character power bombing or doing a german suplex on another because at that point its just absurd.

Jintor

I normally dislike over the top tsundere violence too, but not so much when I see one character power bombing or doing a german suplex on another because at that point its just absurd.

Like if Hori had just straight up decked her it would've been unacceptable, but that move where he was spinning in place and then tossed her down the hall was gut-bustlingly hilarious

cajunator

Banned
Madoka soul gem reveal. I need to lay down

Eheheheheee. More things will be revealed soon!

But for real, I'm going to bed now since I work in 5 hours. I'll be back tomorrow night to melt down.
I wonder what the character count on individual posts is?

Cant wait!

Thankfully no. This might be a good idea for Mike's current watchbet though...

Are you sure of that? Some of the imagery in HS could match what is seen in the Madoka witch labyrinths.

Hidamari Sketch is wonderful and pure. Season one is a bit rough but season two is basically perfection.

I should have known what was coming. This will be an endless loop of terror.
Someone help me find something of equal or greater punishment for Mike.

I knew this after he introduced me to Kanon, Hidimari Sketch then finally School Days. Why do I even watch bet you!?!

Eiken! Orrrr Apocalypse Zero

Hanayamata
Wouldn't you want to find one of these under your desk?
yM1gqczl.png

Tackle-hugs too:
GB3vXTTl.jpg

I decided to check the show out and I'm glad I did. Take Kiniro Mosaic, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka, Yama no Susume and a touch of Tamayura (and perhaps even Aria) and you've got this show. Super genki foreigner girl obsessed with Japan making friends with an extremely shy Japanese girl who wants to discover her own identity and find her place in the world through the art of yasakoi dance.

WUTAzKdl.png

Yes, the hand holding is obvious, but the faint thread that connects the two girls is a very nice touch. I mean, on the one hand it's similar Kawaisou from last season, but remove the complication of a crappy romance and suddenly it becomes a simple story without any of those complications.
Even the jealous friend gimmick in the second episode is resolved pretty quickly.

If Sabagebu is the black comedic take on the all-girl homosocial friendship, then Hanayamata is the sugary-sweet irony-free version of that particular kind of story. Yes, it's something that I've seen many times. And sure, it's pandering to me in a very specific way that hits my specific peccadillo, but I'm more than happy to have another one of these shows to watch. I guess I'll never really get tired of characters who find wonder in everyday things and using that to improve their lives. Funny, sweet, happy, this is a show that's really made to make you feel good about the characters finding their own happiness.

I also really enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to watching more soon!
It does interest me, although the show sadly seems not so popular with the rest of animegaf.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

That isn't the moment I am talking about, the violence was questionable but I got the joke, in fact, I had a bigger problem with them continuing the joke long past it being funny. I am talking about the third parody
The I Hope My Sempai Notices Me send up
which was about as mishandled as it could get. I didn't let Psycho Pass off for this I am not going to let Nozomi-Kun off either, it was a smaller thing but it is something that will get me to turn on the entire series if it continues.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, sakura does immediately point out that that's not a good thing, but I get where you are coming from.

Yea, not a dealbreaker but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, which is a shame beause the table read was one of the better bits of the series thus far.

/XX/

I was amused, but I assumed it was referencing stuff I have no idea about. With most of the other gags so far I've gotten the references I think.
With a little bit of Charles Bronson sprinkled on top!

What Umakoshi doing at these day ;_______;
He was (and is) very, very busy with Mushishi... to the point they had a very rough schedule for it, so I don't think he could show up on anything else.

It certainly reminded me of the other "Jiro" from Jiro Dreams of Sushi (as explained by the man himself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2L5IrkQTV0)... which leads to:

... my belief that the film is as much autobiographical as it is pseudobiographical. Certainly it feels very much a movie about his life, and his dedication to his craft (as told through his craft) than anything else he's done.
Yeah, some people acknowledged this the moment Mr. Miyazaki decided to use a middle-age man instead of the usual anthropomorphic male pig as a protagonist (and because of this being his farewell too). The vicious critic of Mr. Miyazaki's work (and practically the work of anyone, really) that is Mamoru Oshii surprisingly celebrated this as an accomplishment of someone finally releasing his own desires, an actual liberation from previous needs of creating patronizing messages aimed at others, while using this protagonist as a vehicle:

/a/ - Animu & Mango » Thread #88814283
http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/88814283/

Akame ga Kill - 03

Okay what the fuck... is this show actually serious? I'm not even joking when I say that I may never see anything this edgy again in my life. The constant tonal shifts from slapstick comedy to extreme violence are so insanely jarring it's not even funny. That this anime tries to be actually serious about the grimdark moments is ludicrous.

Yeh we get it, just about every character in this world is evil and interested into raping, torturing and murdering women, children (oh god the two thugs seriously strangled a small child like that ahahahha) and whatever else innocent they can come up with. I'm gonna assume we're going to see a lot animals tortured, too.

The slapstick humor... does anyone actually laugh at this shit? "Haha he saw her in her underwear and then she like.. she almost killed him with this gigantic laser-rifle hahha. Oh god, it's so exaggerated and funny man! Later on she also hit him a lot XDDDD!"

Slapstick in low doses and well executed can work but this overabundance of most generic scenes, what a pain in the ass.

Oh and one of the largest issues for me are the shows 'anime physics' and 'anime combat' (referring to badly done shonen here).

It's impossible for me to tell what character or monster is actually a threat to anyone. I can't know. Because since he first episode we have people do their instant sword slashes, jumping up 10 meters high and use mythical super weapons. I cannot possibly assess an entity's strengths and weaknesses like that.

So the show is pretty much always going to directly tell us who the protagonists should be afraid of.

This kind of extreme shonen 'anime combat' is also super boring to watch and will most likely result in a lot of asspulls. I mean we're already at a Dragon Ball Z stage of 'power levels'. Akame killed 3 guys in an instant. Now every time she's not doing just that against opponents I need a proper reason why. And it ain't gonna be easy to explain why a character that can move and slash with seemingly the speed of light can't do just that against everyone.

Oh and here's a last picture to demonstrate the quality writing of this show. I'll probably drop it after next week. It's in the "so bad it's good" territory but meh, already got SAO for that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But remember, despite light beams being seen as an adequate form of covering things up in anime it doesn't apply to real life. So no walking around town starkers with just a torch to shine over your naughty parts.

In fact it makes things worse.

Tizoc

So apparently the first 2 episode premiere of the Kingdom manga was done in CGI.
Outdated horrible CGI, talk about a mood killer.
Jeebus Beast Wars and ReBoot during their later seasons look better than this.

I feel like multiple groups can appreciate this image so I'm putting it here:

I've yet to watch PreCure which I have an interest in, but as a JoJo fan...nah I don't like it nor appreciate it
lipton-tea-city-of-animals-commercial.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom