• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know people say the first half of Stein's Gate is boring. I haven't seen it yet, but is it true.

Depends on your tastes, but it's very SoL in the first half.

I want to say around episode 8-10 is where shit starts hitting the fan but I can't really remember off the top of my head. I still enjoyed all the early episodes too, but I do definitely recall the first several episodes being much slower.

At the end of episode 12 is where the mood changes completely at least.

You know people say the first half of Stein's Gate is boring. I haven't seen it yet, but is it true.

I want to say around episode 8-10 is where shit starts hitting the fan but I can't really remember off the top of my head. I still enjoyed all the early episodes too, but I do definitely recall the first several episodes being much slower.

If you like Madoka, you should watch Rebellion. It's a very well-crafted movie. You may or may not how like how it turns out, but IMO that's something you should decide after having seen it.

Stop denying Urobuchi his souls people

Chariot

I could see how this may have been meltdown worthy but now it's just "Next week, on Game of Thrones"
What, Madoka?
I was more surprised by the people that were surprised by the "twist" in episode 3. Because the show clearly telegraphed from minute 1 that it would be dark. It was a good show, by no means, but I think people keep overselling the twists.
It's a bit slow, yes. I actually dropped it one episode before it get's interesting and someone had to beat me to watch further.

You know people say the first half of Steins;Gate is boring. I haven't seen it yet, but is it true.
It's a slow burn but the pay off is fantastic.

Steins before Hyouka

Never.

Hyouka as a whole is slower than Steins;gate's first half. I say go with Steins;gate.

What, Madoka?
I was more surprised by the people that were surprised by the "twist" in episode 3. Because the show clearly telegraphed from minute 1 that it would be dark. It was a good show, by no means, but I think people keep overselling the twists..

No, School Days.

Midonin

Blade Dance 02

That was a nicely enjoyable magical battle. Rinslet and Claire's bickering amuses me, and the show remains just what I expected it to be. I'm not having any real problems with it yet. The little moments with Scarlet doing what cats do were cute, too. Like I said before, the show's less dense with its terminology than Dragonar, and has a better narrative flow than Magical Warfare.

Jex

I've been away for a while, so not really got any sort of idea what the general consensus is. So to be honest, I don't know whether that is you actually being facetious or not!

For a major Studio Ghibli film? You're basically putting a nail in the coffin of the studio.

School Days - 11
So now everyone wants some of that Makoto love. Even three at once. The girl who loved the loser guy also did it twice. Of course, this wouldn't be a complete story without someone getting pregnant. It also seems like the final and first girl (Katsura) will be getting it soon.

How did this even end up getting an anime? It is a bunch of high school students that are hornier than a horn and one who catches them all. It would make more sense in college, but it would still be messed up.

What, Madoka?
I was more surprised by the people that were surprised by the "twist" in episode 3. Because the show clearly telegraphed from minute 1 that it would be dark. It was a good show, by no means, but I think people keep overselling the twists.
I was honestly shocked by what happened at episode 3.
Mami is my favorite girl in the show so that plays into it.

But after doing some research shortly after I found out that the runes and designs in Charlotte's barrier drop some massive hints.

Jex

Quite frankly I don't think Miyazaki is that great of a director. While I do think he's very good at creating simplistic children films, I feel that he's very limited at what he's capable of when he steps outside his box.

I...what? You're going to have do some more work explaining that one.

If we think of great directors are those who can tell stories through the language of film than Miyazaki is clearly an amazing director because of his ability to capture the hearts and minds of so many people around the world with his work. He's literally a living (somewhat broken-down) legend.

Dismissing his works as 'simplistic' is extremely reductionist, as is the implication that making great films for children somehow makes him less of a director than someone who made other kinds of movies.

Chariot

The List:
Mokoi
phoenix296
I have the list close to my heart.
j8GWYg5sI9cXI.jpg

No, School Days.
Ah. School Days has certainly a certain shock value, but it's very cheap one. Can't say that I wasn't surprised but the effect one me wasn't mindmelting or -blowing, only amusement.

But after doing some research shortly after I found out that the runes and designs in Charlotte's barrier drop some massive hints.
The first scene of the first episode and the whole lot of dark design related to the witches were like red alarms to me. I didn't watch many Magical Girl show, but enough to see that Madoka wasn't usual.

Marnie and Me seems to suffer from the same issues of The Wind Rises where it looks absolutely vanilla for an anime film and the fact it's animated is partially why any interest is put in it.

They Should've made it about a giant purple dinosaur instead.

Ah. School Days has certainly a certain shock value, but it's very cheap one. Can't say that I wasn't surprised but the effect one me wasn't mindmelting or -blowing, only amusement.The first scene of the first episode and the whole lot of dark design related to the witches were like red alarms to me. I didn't watch many Magical Girl show, but enough to see that Madoka wasn't usual.

Chariot what are you doing

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If Ghibli is "simplistic children films", then the rest of the industry are fucking fetuses.

Mokoi

Banned
The movie is very polarizing but not really meltdown worthy either. Homura did the right thing.

Hehe I agree.
Homura did nothing wrong!

To add more salt to the wound I went, and bought a wall scroll of Charlotte after seeing that scene. She become my favorite witch lol.

Edit: Chariot what are you doing!

Chariot

Not written in blood though. Tsk tsk.
And it was good, for I not only wrote Phoenix name wrong, but the writing is a mess. Need to put the list maybe to a place where I can better reach or ask someone for help.

Holy shit Chariot. You scare me in the most frightening ways possible. At least spell my name right.
Aw shit.
Chariot what are you doing
Have my fellow Gaffers close to where the heart's supposed to be.
Later that day, in jail...
Does it help, if i tell you that I am actually 1000 years old?

You're asking ME to retrieve the painfull memories of blade and soul that i discarded ?

She isn't in the anime, just in the game so spare yourself the painfull journey.

Ps: i'm pretty sure i'm the only here that managed to watched all 13 eps.

Also : You could have put this picture of her in her normal pose
So glad the anime didn't butcher her too.That would have annoyed way more people.Also she is boss character from the normal storyline of blade and soul , have a vid of her boss fight if you're intrested.
Her name is Po Hwa-Ran
Pre-order cancelled then. Thanks for the warning! I'd found some basic info about her and was grabbing all the decent fan-art I could find because, well, dat design. Her entrance scene and theme are both pretty neat as well.

No shes not but OH MY GOD
Also, I found this
I did see that, thanks! Though looking at it again's just made me realise she's doing the Nico Nico Ni.

About 84.52% of the recent fan-art for her's been NSFW, but have this in return:

38907928rfr8.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ah. School Days has certainly a certain shock value, but it's very cheap one. Can't say that I wasn't surprised but the effect one me wasn't mindmelting or -blowing, only amusement.The first scene of the first episode and the whole lot of dark design related to the witches were like red alarms to me. I didn't watch many Magical Girl show, but enough to see that Madoka wasn't usual.

Maskie is that you

tfw you'll never have a gaffer write your name on his/her chest

why are you people

so fucking

weird

Going back to mangaf where the posters are somewhat saner.

Reading is for chumps

Jex

I dunno if their laws of GAF that cover what Chariot has done, but I am sure that god will judge accordingly.

Jarmel

Banned
I...what? You're going to have do some more work explaining that one.

If we think of great directors are those who can tell stories through the language of film than Miyazaki is clearly an amazing director because of his ability to capture the hearts and minds of so many people around the world with his work. He's literally a living (somewhat broken-down) legend.

Dismissing his works as 'simplistic' is extremely reductionist, as is the implication that making great films for children somehow makes him less of a director than someone who made other kinds of movies.

The way he tells his stories all have this heart warming tone to them and as such, they all feel really limited in what they accomplish. I didn't really like Kiki for this exact reason because it all feels rote. It feels like the characters are there to pander to someone rather than feel like characters in their own right. There have been directors who have done children movies but done much more in the context of their individual films or works, than what I feel Miyazaki has accomplished.

I don't think his films have a good sense of atmosphere either now that I think about it.

I'll admit I'm being overly harsh but I think Kiki, Howl, Totoro and The Wind Rises all rubbed me the wrong way.

The movie is very polarizing but not really meltdown worthy either. Homura
did the right thing.

Madoka movie 3 spoils
I agree also.
The movie ended with a happy universe with everyone alive and Madoka being allowed to be a normal human again, while the anti-witch Madoka-god is still up. It's a win-win situation! the whole "I will be the Devil!" was fucking weird, because it isn't like the end was full of despair and suffering. The opposite.

Chariot..... I don't..... Think that's how lists work.....

No one is on my list. I like everyone here. <3

Also this is my last day before starting my job. Too bad I am spending most of it getting my car checked out but when I get back home I am splurging on anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom