• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

SHAFT are just trolls with their head tilts right, they do realized we have noticed?

2Jnh1WYl.jpg

Yes.

Kansoku

head tilts are great I do them all the time

The "l" in tilts almost didn't come out, and I'm stupid and can't stop laughing at head tits

Chariot

is Hummingbird actually a good site?
I don't know, I will test it out, so far it doesn't log me out every time like MAL. Since they were hacked they implemented so much shit that I can't use some functions of it ans have to relog every 5 minutes.
I also used AniList at some point, but it wasn't very satisfying.
i don't accept shaft anime without tilt. Well, except REC. But REC is special.

Rhapsody

Banned
The only true "original" series KyoAni has done are the Munto OVA/TV/movie series and the Tamako TV/movie series. The other works they've done since October 2012 have new "adaptations" of works submitted to the Kyoto Animation Awards. Yoko Hatta, the planner for KyoAni chose to adapt those works into a TV series and asked Ishihara, Utsumi, and Ishidate to direct those works along with Hanada and Yokotani as series composers. Due to the lack of material (Hanada specifically mentioned how there was only one novel and the outline of another when he and Ishidate composed the anime version of Kyoukai), the TV series have been very loose if not contradicting the original works. Free! is somewhat original and somewhat not. The source material took place in elementary school while Utsumi chose to adapt it into high school as that's when she swam for a team.

What we mean by KyoAni IPs is that they are the publishing house for these materials. While not original, they own the rights to adapt these works and contribute the most to the production committees adapting them into anime. They also are the main part of the "sales company" for videogram sales, which means they get the lion's share of profits from all video disc sales in Japan.

Amagi is a very interesting situation as it combines the two prior companies that KyoAni worked with (TBS and Kadokawa Shoten) and exemplifies how cheap Kadokawa has gotten. Kadokawa wouldn't pay for a full single-cour length show (notice all the 10 episode series, that's Kadokawa at work), so they had to partner with TBS to pay to make the show. This committee hasn't been publicly revealed, so that's all we can say at the moment regarding its makeup. Needless to say, it's published by a branch of Kadokawa Group (Fujimi Shobo) and thus the rights are different than the CTFK series. Takemoto is on record in the latest Newtype as saying he'll be changing things from the novel, so this won't be a 1:1 adaptation either.

Apologies if anything is unclear.

Ah, thanks. That actually clears a lot up for me. The stuff post Chu2 I only vaguely knew that about since I haven't been following up on most of the anime series since then. The Amagi Brilliant Park situation does sound pretty interesting.

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 14

I think it is important to take a moment from the cyborg zombie apocalypse in Tokyo and the appearance of interplanetary enforcers of truth, justice, and the fighting spirit to really appreciate where Domon's character is at in this episode. It's not hard to see that Domon feels betrayed at episode's end, but I think that the depths of that betrayal might escape view without putting these events into context. That is to say, Domon's brother is already branded a traitor, his father imprisoned for the creation of a terrible weapon, and his mother is dead at his brother's hands. Coming home to such a shocking, heart-rending and shameful turn of events would undoubtedly drive anyone into an emotional corner, even if they weren't like Domon and hadn't spent years in seclusion and having their fists as their one form of communication. Piled atop this, the last thirteen episodes have seen Domon slowly working to open up beyond his tough, moody exterior. He'd made friends and allowed himself to open up to Rain ever so slightly. He'd even achieved some measure of success in his quest to hunt down Kyoji when he exorcised the Devil Gundam from Gentle Chapman, the mummy, and Saette.

When Domon reaches Shinjuku, we see a major change overcome his character. He encounters Master Asia, and, rather than his brusque attitude of old, Domon is seen laughing, smiling, and even crying. "I've so longed to see you!" he declares, clasping Master Asia's hand. And I think anybody who has had a mentor can relate to that moment: when life gets hard, and you're driven into a corner, isn't it only natural to want dearly to see the one you trust, your master or confidant?

Domon's happiness doesn't last, however, and in this moment of rare emotional vulnerability, Domon's new friends betray him one by one until, at the last, his beloved Master Asia is revealed to be in league with Kyoji and the Devil Gundam. Stripped of friends, of family, and in the end even the one man upon who Domon thought he could depend above all else, it's sort of harsh for the Shuffle Alliance to show up and tell him he needs to man up. Indeed, it seems as if this is almost the natural course of his life lately: Domon is hurt in a terrible way and the world drops another responsibility in his lap: you have to hunt down your brother to avenge your mother and free your father. You have to stand tall because you now lead the Shuffle Alliance and we've just declared war on Master Asia.

The reasoning behind this is clear enough: G Gundam, like many good Super Robot/Shonen shows is about growing up. Domon enters the world of manhood through pain and sorrow, and has responsibilities piled on, all as the test of his manhood in how he handles them. Like many teenage boys, Domon is bad at expressing the emotions he has, and resorts often to rash words and acts of violence. He makes his friends through clash, and hardship bonds them together. Domon is especially inept at dealing with girls (Master comments "that's no way to talk about a woman, Domon!"), finding it easier to deal with the tomboy Allenby than the girlier Rain. Like many young people, he's made to confront the hard truths that the people he looked up to: his mentor, his dad, his big brother, aren't as rose tinted as he'd believed as a child. He's thrust into a violent, distrustful world and left to sort out his place in it by the sweat of his brow.

Midonin

Gosick 06-08

Now that's a satisfying story arc. Victorique's past has been expanded upon a bit, she's become more openly emotional after her old wounds were opened up, and there are things being set up that could have repercussions down the line.
Like that her mom is still alive.
If Dantalian was about the supernatural illuminating what people are like deep down, than this feels like the opposite of that. About how the supernatural is worn as a mask. Having Kazuya use Jugem-Jugem as a way to reveal the culprit was one of those little anime moments that make the series feel familiar, and the way the doves/bazaar scene played into the later part of the arc was a nice touch. I want to see more of Avril - she didn't have much to do beyond the starting scenes of the book/arc.

Interesting to think that Aoi Yuki was performing this role at the same time as Madoka.

Hugstable

Banned
lol Phoenix your new avatar keeps throwing me off. Where's pink haired moe!?!?!

Kyuubey is great though,
So emotionless, much nyaa~

lol Phoenix your new avatar keeps throwing me off. Where's pink haired moe!?!?!

Kyuubey is great though,
So emotionless, much nyaa~

I just changed my avatar last night because someone is watching it over in animegaf. I'll change back to my previous one when they finish. (Also MikeHattsu said I bring despair where ever I go which I can't deny)

Shadownet's avatar change threw me off for a bit too.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi is a very interesting situation as it combines the two prior companies that KyoAni worked with (TBS and Kadokawa Shoten) and exemplifies how cheap Kadokawa has gotten. Kadokawa wouldn't pay for a full single-cour length show (notice all the 10 episode series, that's Kadokawa at work), so they had to partner with TBS to pay to make the show. This committee hasn't been publicly revealed, so that's all we can say at the moment regarding its makeup. Needless to say, it's published by a branch of Kadokawa Group (Fujimi Shobo) and thus the rights are different than the CTFK series. Takemoto is on record in the latest Newtype as saying he'll be changing things from the novel, so this won't be a 1:1 adaptation either.

Apologies if anything is unclear.

Was there anything else of note about Amagi in the scans?

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 14

*snip*.

DUDE. SPOILERS. I'M ON EPISODE 13.

Lol, just kidding. Good to know that the reveal of
Master Asia being in cahoots with the Devil Gundam comes earlier rather than later. I knew he was a villain long before hand. I was going to ask you about it because he seemed like an awesome guy in episode 12. I was wondering how long it would take until the big betrayal.

/XX/

SHAFT are just trolls with their head tilts right, they do realized we have noticed?
It is now like a trademark even when others (humorously) promote their work:

Nisekoi Chapter 113.5 by *** **** *********** said:

An homage to Mr. Dezaki is now a characteristic trait on their own for them... the cycle of derivatives continues.

Chariot

Tokyo ESP 2

Lol just no. It's like really bad X-Men meets anime high school characters. I'm done not even three episode rule.

Dropped.
Try the manga.
It won't of course don't change the setting, which is about people (not only teenagers!) discovering supernatural powers. There is however an explanation and a plot to that and the characters are very likable.

I didn't try watching Tokyo ESP. Studio was Xebec iirc, and I didn't find Ga Rei manga that great either.
Try the first chapters of the Tokyo ESP manga. It's really an improvement to Ga-Rei.

CorvoSol

Well... There's CorvoSol. Maybe we could ask him what's more 'interesting' to watch of the two choices.

So here's where I'm at.

Garzey's Wing comes to you from Gundam bigwig Yoshiyuki Tomino. But it isn't "FUCK EVERY LIVING THING I HATE LIFE AND FUCK YOUR FEELINGS" Tomino. It's the good, crazy Tomino. As far as the basic idea of the plot goes, the general idea is just "modern guy in swords n fantasy world" set up, but that doesn't really tell it. It's a must see 'cuz there's just a lot of funny things that are said during it, and a lot of crazy moments, such as "MY BODY IS COVERED IN BRUISES FROM FIGHTING NAKED ALL NIGHT." And I don't mean to caps spam but that's sort of necessitated by the dub. People in the dub talk in all caps.

It's also the source of such wonderful moments as this:

iAAePtAJlVpPJ.gif

But it's really hard to explain Garzey's Wing. You sort of just have to see it yourself. In that sense, it really probably is the craziest of the three options you brought up to me. It's also a good way to explain what The List is about.

Blood-C Is one of the List shows I found to be genuinely enjoyable. It's very CLAMP as far as character designs go, so expect ridiculously long arms and gag breasts, I guess. The show itself at first plays out like any old action OVA. High school girl fights demons and there's violence and gore all over the place. Part way through the series takes a turn for the crazy and by the end the show sort of undergoes a meltdown of major proportions that will leave you only certain of the fact that you'll never look at a blender the same way.

Blood-C: The Last Dark isn't on the List because, although it is similarly crazy, it kinda sucks and is essentially a giant fuck you to anyone who didn't realize they needed to let it go at the last episode. It is, however, instructive in demonstrating that you can do the very thing fans need to get their cathartic closure and still utterly rob them of their catharsis.

Mad Bull 34 is, in my opinion, probably the best thing on The List after Code Geass. The reason I like it is because it manages to do so many awful things and still be fun and funny. It lands itself on the List in part because it, like all other gritty cop OVAs is 1) Hilariously Racist 2) Extremely Sexist and 3)Comically Violent. Like people will get their heads blown off. Mad Bull's titular character, better known as Sleepy, is a giant, violent, horny, morally off-kilter son of a gun who somehow manages to come across as heroic, compassionate and at times downright chivalrous. Mind you this is a policeman who patronizes and runs his own prostitution ring. The dub is notable for its amazingly cheesy New York Accents. "DIE-ZUH-BORO EDDY-BAAAAN." All around though, I found Mad Bull 34 enjoyable in spite of its graphic nudity and violence, but also because of the completely madcap way it went about them.

I mean, it's hard to be upset about the blatant "give 'em the tits they paid to see" nature of the sex scenes in Mad Bull 34 when Sleepy makes this face every damn time he's getting down:

HcSqRTJ.gif

Or how about the time that Sleepy made this loving gaze at a Predator he was going to marry that night?

ibkmiDswpyHgQw.gif

As a special bonus, I would also like to recommend ICE as the true, unsung champion of List madness, because it's 3 episodes but it's 3 episodes about the Sperm of Christ getting ladies pregnant with male babies who may or may not be aliens and then turning them into ice crystals. Also, it is notable for being the only List anime where the Japanese voice acting is List quality the way the English dubs often are. People talk about Mars of Destruction, but ICE is Mars of Destruction +2.

lNLenz8.gif

You can't really go wrong with any of these, but if you do, just watch Golden Boy and call it a night.

I don't think it's so much the adaptation but the whole of Tokyo ESP that bothers me. It just feels too low-caliber anime. I've seen one too many shows about people get super powers and we must protect them. Or magical high schools. I'm kind of done with those as well, unless it's really really good. Like anime Harry Potter.

Chariot

I guess I have a Hummingbird now

http://hummingbird.me/users/CureVylash

This site is uh...pretty slow, don't know if I like it
Yeah, maybe AnimeGAF is crashing it :p
But I have to say, I like the monogamous Waifu option. This is a great plus.
I don't think it's so much the adaptation but the whole of Tokyo ESP that bothers me. It just feels too low-caliber anime. I've seen one too many shows about people get super powers and we must protect them. Or magical high schools. I'm kind of done with those as well, unless it's really really good. Like anime Harry Potter.
At the very least there is no school or real organisation, since the powers literally just appeared. But that aside, Tokyo ESP is still full of common tropes. But the manga is enjoyable, give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom