• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Yes, watch Rebellion Story, you won't regret it!

Big

Dude the movie is fucking great. You need to watch it. I loved the fight scenes.

Multi

If you found closure in the shows ending then no don't watch it. Although I say hell yeah everybody should watch Rebellion.

YES, Rebellion is so great, and you can't experience the cake song without watching it

It's worth it, imo. Even if you don't like it, you need to have really strong hate to find regretting it.

Thanks

I say watch it. Some people hated it, but it's still a visual treat.

Watch it and form your own opinions.

Guys

Ill have to watch it tomorrow.

TUSR

Banned
I was so content with the ending to Madoka that I don't know if I want to do this.

On a scale of 0-EoE where does it sit?

Toradora 2-5 (Rewatch; Dub)
tora2_04.jpg

The dub is great. Every character VO does good work and they all fit their respective characters perfectly.

Funny scenes are still funny and given a bit of new life thanks to deliveries of the lines. Glorious 1080p is still great. I don't remember characters cursing at all in the original Japanese. They don't overdo it here though. It's done tastefully, to a hilarious degree.

Dang. Not enough praise. NIS really hit it out of the park with this one.

Blusby

I was so content with the ending to Madoka that I don't know if I want to do this.

It's straightforward and also pretty satisfying in regard to Homura's character arc, you should definitely watch it.

jman2050

Well, it wasn't really for someone else's sake, it was for her own sake.
She wanted her crush to get better and be happy because she wanted to be with him. The whole point is that she thought she was making a wish for someone else's sake but it was for her own. When she didn't get the reward for the act she was unhappy. There's no such thing as a completely selfless act, people do good thing because they get something out of it, whether it's a gift, a feeling of self importance/joy or because they feel they have an obligation to do it.

See I don't think it was quite that simple.
All of what you said did happen, and there's something to be said about the motives behind your wish, but what really characterized Sayaka at this point was her staunch refusal to serve her own interests, and this drove every decision she made for the rest of the series and movie. She clung to the idealistic fantasy of being this all powerful hero who would save the day by killing witches and healing others and whatnot, even in the face of a system that didn't serve those ideals and in fact discouraged them. Juxtaposing her with Kyouko and her decision to conform to the system to keep herself alive after her wish backfired in a similar fashion emphasized Sayaka's thought process further.

It would be almost inspiring in another show. In this one Sayaka has neither the mental fortitude nor the physical capability to realize this ideal and she taints her soul gem and becomes a witch, ruining everything further. It isn't until Madoka makes her wish that we see a payoff to her self-sacrifice, where when presented with a choice by Madoka herself she elects to essentially trade her own life for Kyousuke's happiness.

More Rebellion spoilers:
Assuming there's a follow-up to Rebellion(there will be), I think there's a real opportunity to further explore Sayaka's character in interesting ways given the situation she's in and the unique nature of her existence at the end. Time will tell if anything comes out of it.

Rhapsody

Banned

Scale of craziness or quality? Not as crazy as EoE, as for how I rated it, I thought it was a worthy followup.
Made up for some of the issues I had in the TV series. Issues being the battles at the end.

TUSR

Banned
It's straightforward and also pretty satisfying in regard to Homura's character arc, you should definitely watch it.

Well Homura was my favourite character, this is good.

Scale of craziness or quality? Not as crazy as EoE, as for how I rated it, I thought it was a worthy followup.
Made up for some of the issues I had in the TV series.

Thats what I was eluding to.

Clov

The ultimate lesson I got from Sayaka's arc is that
if you do choose to selflessly work for the sake of others then you must be prepared to bear the burden that work puts on yourself. She evidently wasn't capable of that at the time.

In that sense I found it less tragic and more a cautionary tale. It's also interesting how (Rebellion spoilers)
the themes of Sayaka's struggles served as a parallel of sorts to Madoka's wish and Homura's eventual rejection of said wish. Madoka proved capable of bearing the burden Sayaka couldn't, while Homura proved incapable.

Yeah, that's definitely the lesson behind her arc. I just found it tragic because
she brought about her own downfall. There were things that could have happened that may have changed the course of her fate, but because of the kind of person Sayaka is she couldn't have avoided it.
It's definitely also a cautionary tale though, since as you point out
as much as Sayaka wanted to be completely selfless, she wasn't. Her wish was made for someone else, but inside she expected to gain from it. Beyond just the burden that her wish backfiring put on her, she loses her resolve and purpose during the incident on the train. She realized that her ideal self (the selfless hero) didn't match up with her actual self, I suppose.

That's an interesting view on Rebellion though. Though the way I see it, (Rebellion spoilers)
Homura goes further than just being "incapable". Whereas Sayaka despaired when she realized that she wasn't a "selfless hero", Homura chooses to embrace her desires. If we consider Sayaka a failed magical girl, Homura goes past that and becomes a detrimental one, destroying the ideal that Madoka set.
Interesting stuff, I think.

jman2050

Of course she's not, she's a girl with an overactive imagination, that's certainly not "mentally ill"

Yeah, sorry, retreating into childish delusions and being unable to function in reality in order to cope with severe emotional trauma requires at least some measure of therapeutic care, if not more.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Magica - 6

Holy shit, Kyubey is laying down the truth. This was just as funny, if not funnier, than when the dad said his bad food line. So I guess my prediction was right.
Kyubey said if the Soul Gem gets too dark, it will turn into a witch. The Soul Gem was then said to be the magical girl. Therefore, the magical girl will turn into a witch.

So... is Mami alive? Or did her Soul Gem get eaten when she was decapitated?

eheheheheeeee

Oh no I can feel it! I'm morphing into cnet! ...camel...toooooes....

No! Bad lurky!
Please dont do this
*hugs tight

someone help pls

should i watch the movie?

Wellllll...
Thats a tough one. Do you like to risk being very aggravated yet have a sense of adventure?

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven - 33

I freaking love episodes like this. Episodes that show the great sense of comradery between team members before the big battle ahead.

Man, how these characters grow on you. It's incredible how like, 15 episodes ago some of these guys were so unlikable.
Especially Holland. Felt so good hearing him admit he was wrong and apologize to Renton and Eureka. I may not like the third OP all that much, but hearing it play at the end of this episode with everybody saying that they'll stay and join...ah that felt so awesome.

I hated everyone not named Renton until Ray and Charles came up.

By the show's end the only ones I still hated were Eureka's horrid children.

Also in terms of OPs for me it goes 2 > 4 > 1 > 3

Re: Hamatora 3
So Art isn't the main villain for this season. Also, an insane nearly naked guy cajsed everybody to kill each other. Aside from the main guys who are somehow immune.
Kind of wondering what caused Honey to mentally revert

jgminto

It's weird talking about the philosophical meaning of something while someone admits to being a lolicon on the same page.

See I don't think it was quite that simple.
All of what you said did happen, and there's something to be said about the motives behind your wish, but what really characterized Sayaka at this point was her staunch refusal to serve her own interests, and this drove every decision she made for the rest of the series and movie. She clung to the idealistic fantasy of being this all powerful hero who would save the day by killing witches and healing others and whatnot, even in the face of a system that didn't serve those ideals and in fact discouraged them. Juxtaposing her with Kyouko and her decision to conform to the system to keep herself alive after her wish backfired in a similar fashion emphasized Sayaka's thought process further.

It would be almost inspiring in another show. In this one Sayaka has neither the mental fortitude nor the physical capability to realize this ideal and she taints her soul gem and becomes a witch, ruining everything further. It isn't until Madoka makes her wish that we see a payoff to her self-sacrifice, where when presented with a choice by Madoka herself she elects to essentially trade her own life for Kyousuke's happiness.

I feel like she started
acting the hero because she felt guilty for thinking her motivations were extremely selfish. It felt like she was trying to redeem/prove to herself that she wasn't selfish. So she was motivated to try and make herself feel less terrible by doing good but with the stress weighted on her it wasn't having that effect.
I still need to watch Rebellion. I should watch the show again before that too, it's been a while since I first watched it.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad 20

Wait a minute, so
the story she wants to perform is related to the robot subplot
?

lol Fuko.

I guess this counts as toilet humor.

The story seems to be coming together now. Interesting.

So Sunohara becomes wise when he's dead tired?

Ohmygod, she admitted it!

So I looked up the meaning of Clannad, because I was curious. It seems to be a Gaelic word meaning "family", a theme that has been strong in this arc.

I got a thing

Nice catches!

Does Kiki's Delivery Service take place in Germany? Does anyone know? The architecture reminds me of Germany. That or Switzerland/Austria.

Come to think of it, Laputa does too.

It was inspired by a Swedish town I think. At least the Ghibli movie.

[*]Everyone has fat heads.

The character design is Ume Aoki. I suppose wideface is an acquired taste.

Wideface is best face.

Madoka 10

IIRC, Urobuchi stated that she went through at least 100 time-loops.

100 time-loops = 100 months. Yeah.

Oh wow.

So I looked up the meaning of Clannad, because I was curious. It seems to be a Gaelic word meaning "family", a theme that has been strong in this arc.

Big dango family :p

Clannad 20

Wait a minute, so
the story she wants to perform is related to the robot subplot
?

lol Fuko.

I guess this counts as toilet humor.

The story seems to be coming together now. Interesting.

So Sunohara becomes wise when he's dead tired?

Ohmygod, she admitted it!

Glad you actually took the time to look that up. It's a cool little easter egg for people to find out. You'll start seeing that theme play a bigger role as you get into After Story.

The robot thing.... there's a bit more to it.... that's all I'll say.

I like how Nagisa inadvertently told Tomoya that. It was a great moment.

Link Man

Banned
The robot thing.... there's a bit more to it.... that's all I'll say.

Yeah, I kind of picked up on that
when Okazaki said he remembered something like that as well, but couldn't remember where or when
. I fully expect the show to go into mindfuck territory at some point. I mean, we already have supernatural elements
with Fuko
, so it wouldn't surprise me if this world
is some kind of heaven or purgatory
, for example.

Yeah, I kind of picked up on that
when Okazaki said he remembered something like that as well, but couldn't remember where or when
. I fully expect the show to go into mindfuck territory at some point. I mean, we already have supernatural elements
with Fuko
, so it wouldn't surprise me if this world
is some kind of heaven or purgatory
, for example.

Man you are totally on the ball with this show in terms of being in the right mindset when watching it. No comment on any of the stuff in the spoiler area though. That one you will just need to find out for yourself. ;)

Madoka Magica - 8

SAYAKA!... oh wait. KYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUBEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!... nevermind. SAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAKAAAAA!!!

So it seems "Kyubey" or the Incubator's plot is probably to actually make witches. When a magical girl goes evil, they turn into a witch. If the "God" of magical girls goes evil, they turn into the devil?

Thoraxes

I got real excited when I saw funimation announce their October releases.

Then there was no Bebop again.

Two more months till my heart gets crushed by a 2015 delay.

TUSR

Banned
Madoka Magica - 8

SAYAKA!... oh wait. KYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUBEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!... nevermind. SAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAKAAAAA!!!

So it seems "Kyubey" or the Incubator's plot is probably to actually make witches. When a magical girl goes evil, they turn into a witch. If the "God" of magical girls goes evil, they turn into the devil?

keep going my child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom