• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

tumblr_mk3itqMk8M1qk6zwoo3_500.gif

tumblr_mk3itqMk8M1qk6zwoo4_500.gif

Hehe that scene was glorious.

Toradora 17-19

Hey don't be dissing your teacher, she predicted the coming of Abenomics ! She's got spectacular career ahead of her while you'll wallow in self pity, hating yourself for the fact that you kept bulling the best waifu in the show. (Not gonna happen is it ? -_-)

Well the inevitable
Taiga x Ryuji
finally reared its ugly head.
Minorin is a pretty good judge of people's feelings if that was the reason she tried to ignore Takasu.

It feels like Ami threw the white flag before the war even began. -_-

Rhapsody

Banned
Exactly! Let me spoil other things.

Shinji's fucked up.

Kirei finds purpose.

Humans return to earth.

Students graduate.

They get together at the end.

Now guess what anime I'm talking about.
I purposely got more vague

1) EoE
2) Fate/Zero
3) I don't know
4) Angel Beats
5) Kokoro Connect

The quiet before a great episode!

Yup, episode 10 was good.

Ah, what I wouldn't give to be watching Madoka again for the first time...

Are you going to watch the third movie after you finish the series?

I don't know. Earlier people were discussing the movie. Am I supposed to just watch the third one? So far I have been let down by the battles, as in the fact that I don't even know what Madoka's power is.

Madoka Magica - 10

Finally information on Homura's past. It really explained a lot and it sucks that Homura isn't able to just convince Madoka. Within these last two episodes Madoka has to accept the contract, it would be weird for the protagonist not to get her powers in the main storyline and just in the other timelines.

I think I will stay up to watch the last two episodes. It is already 4:42 a.m., a little later won't hurt.

1) EoE
2) Fate/Zero
3) I don't know
4) Angel Beats
5) Kokoro Connect

1 & 2 are correct as stated above.

Hints:

3) Humans have to leave earth in order for them to return to it

4) Music is involved

5) Only a piece of one of them remains

Yup, episode 10 was good.

I don't know. Earlier people were discussing the movie. Am I supposed to just watch the third one? So far I have been let down by the battles, as in the fact that I don't even know what Madoka's power is.

Madoka Magica - 10

Finally information on Homura's past. It really explained a lot and it sucks that Homura isn't able to just convince Madoka. Within these last two episodes Madoka has to accept the contract, it would be weird for the protagonist not to get her powers in the main storyline and just in the other timelines.

I think I will stay up to watch the last two episodes. It is already 4:42 a.m., a little later won't hurt.

First two movies are the series redone in movie form. Same story, only slightly different visuals. Yes keep watching. You've signed a contract after all.

#3 would be Kakumeiki Valvrave, wouldn't it?

Really? So would it have been better to watch the two movies rather than the twelve episodes? Seems like the time length would be about the same.

Ehh... top of page.

Nah the series is paced better. The movies are more condensed. And your guess is wrong.

#3 would be Kakumeiki Valvrave, wouldn't it?

Really? So would it have been better to watch the two movies rather than the twelve episodes? Seems like the time length would be about the same.

Ehh... top of page.

You didn't chose wrongly, there's little reason to go with the films over the TV series.

PewPewK

Gogogo!

And as people have said, the first two movies are just the 12 episodes spliced together with slightly new musical scores and improved animation/art.

Basically, this image sums up the difference in quality...

The third movie is, however, a new story. So, yeah, just skip the the Rebellion Story.

Rhapsody

Banned
I still don't understand Shaft at times. I think Bakemonogatari had like 3 different versions going.
I can understand BD being different from TV, but I think TV was even different than the streamed version.

And they're not always upgrades either. Nadeko lost her hat in the BD OP :/

Chariot

Endless EIght is the peak of anime achievements.
It was the first time I actually felt trolled watching anime. More so when I read more about it and that it was actually just a little story and not a full blown arc.

I stopped using MAL when I started watching weekly shows, as it became kind of a pain to keep up and now I'm buried under a humongous backlog of shows if I ever try to make another anime list. Hummingbird always felt really slow to me, but I think I only tried it before the redesign happened.
Well, I log in a every few days and push the + on every show I watched and be done with it. It's not that big of a hassle, imo.

Canonical names is the best option.

I mean I'm not going to start calling YuruYuru Happy Go Lily or whatever the English name is.
Yeah. Although I use the english name, when the canonical names are too difficult for me to remember like Terror in Resonance or Recently my sister is unusual.

The first 2 movies are a recap of the series with some new scenes added.
And changed stuff. I am not sure if this has actually a meaning or if SHAFT was just bored and changed random stuff, but it is interesting for sure.

edit: goddamn, PewPewK

PewPewK

I still don't understand Shaft at times. I think Bakemonogatari had like 3 different versions going.
I can understand BD being different from TV, but I think TV was even different than the streamed version.

That's just Shaft being Shaft. They Shaft up all over the place.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SHAFT is a prime example of why you don't bother rechecking work when you have completely finished and satisfied with it just in case you fiddle with it more.

PewPewK

And changed stuff. I am not sure if this has actually a meaning or if SHAFT was just bored and changed random stuff, but it is interesting for sure.

edit: goddamn, PewPewK

I wouldn't call it random, I'd just call it a vastly increased budget. I mean, Madoka was an original anime first, they had no clue it'd be as popular as it became so the show obviously got an good, but not massive, budget.

But then the show became a massive fucking success and, when they went to make the movies, they got to redo a lot of it with their increased budget. So anything and everything that could benefit from a few extra million to the art/animation team got thrown in.

Chariot

SHAFT is a prime example of why you don't bother rechecking work when you have completely finished and satisfied with it just in case you fiddle with it more.
I don't know, at this point I think I have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome. I love what SHAFT does and the constant random changes in their projects. Together with their general artsyness and headtilds it gives them a personality. SHAFT is almost like a friend. The weird one who smears peanut butter behind his ears for no apparent reason, but a friend.
I wouldn't call it random, I'd just call it a vastly increased budget. I mean, Madoka was an original anime first, they had no clue it'd be as popular as it became so the show obviously got an good, but not massive, budget.

But then the show became a massive fucking success and, when they went to make the movies, they got to redo a lot of it with their increased budget. So anything and everything that could benefit from a few extra million to the art/animation team got thrown in.
Thing is, it's SHAFT. Some things are clearly updates like the river thing or fixing off modell characters. But then we have the fence, taking Nadeko's hat or the baffeling background changes in Nisekoi. I am never sure what SHAFT does, and it's great.

Madoka Magica - 11

More backstory to Kyubey's race, but not enough. I want to know what his race is, about his planet, how they got their power, etc. Homura wasn't able to save this timeline, so now Madoka has to step in. Why doesn't she just make her wish something like "I wish to never be able to turn into a witch". It would sovle all the problems.
One more.

cajunator

Banned

One does not understand Shaft so much as accept their eccentricities.

PewPewK

Speaking of the monogatari series, what's the sequence of the series? Only ever watched bake.

Chronologically...

Kizumonogatari (Not Released) -> Nekomonogatari (Kuro) -> Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Monogatari Series Second Season

In order of airing...

Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Nekomonogatari (Kuro) -> Monogatari Second Season -> Hanamonogatari -> Kizumonogatari (If ever...?)

Then if you want to break up Monogatari Series Second Season, it consists of Nekomonogatari (Shiro) -> Kabukimonogatari -> Otorimonogatari -> Onimonogatari -> Koimonogatari -> Hanamonogatari (Not Aired) in order of airings. Trying to fit them chronologically is a bit harder since some of it is happening at the same time.

phaze

Speaking of the monogatari series, what's the sequence of the series? Only ever watched bake.

Chronogically - Kizu, Neko, Bake, Nise, Monogatari S2

Should be watched as it aired though - Bake, Nise, Neko, Mono S2. Well I suppose watching Neko before Nise is possible.

Edit: Beaten like Araragi in every season.

Chariot

SHAFT is very good at conning people. Look at the success of Bakemonogatari!
Bakemonogatari is a great show.

Shut up Kizu is real!
#believe

Is Frozen bigger than Ghibli?
1.5 million is ridiculous.
Well, Disney is bigger than Ghibli, yes.

Well, chronological it goes

Kizu
Neko Black
Bake
Nise
Monogatari Second Season
Hana

But I think you should Bakemonogatari firs in any case.
Chronologically...

Kizumonogatari (Not Released) -> Nekomonogatari (Shiro) -> Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Monogatari Series Second Season

In order of airing...

Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Nekomonogatari (Shiro) -> Monogatari Second Season -> Hanamonogatari -> Kizumonogatari?

Then if you want to break up Monogatari Series Second Season, it consists of Nekomonogatari (Kuro) -> Kabukimonogatari -> Otorimonogatari -> Onimonogatari -> Koimonogatari -> Hanamonogatari (Not Aired) in order of airings. Trying to fit them chronologically is a bit harder since some of it is happening at the same time.
Isn't Shiro part of monogatari second season? Kuro are the OVA's that play between Kizu and Bake, yes.

Madoka Magica - 12 [END]

Well... that was a pretty good show. Madoka's wish was similar to what I said, but on a much larger scale. It is said to see Homura not be able to be with Madoka. Homura did nothing wrong! Now, Homura is being punished (although she seems to have accepted her new world) for trying to achieve the perfect ending.

One of the best characters, Madoka's brother, only talks in the first and final episodes. Why wasn't he given more screen time? He remembers Madoka, and the mom has a faint memory of her. If Madoka is the all-mighty being, why can't she make herself a human form and live on Earth while having a part of her deal with running the Laws of the Universe?

Overall, great show, last episode was pretty emotional, and this might make me open to more anime. This is the only magical girl anime I have ever watched, and with the praise this gets, it must all be downhill from here.

Sorry for the poor final post. It is essential 6 a.m.

Chariot

Jesus that is a lot to catch up on.

Not all of them are on crunchy roll right?
I can't actually see them.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.
Not for filthy europaen scum like me, but here are links that may or may not contain the shows in the airing sequence.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/bakemonogatari
http://www.crunchyroll.com/nisemonogatari
http://www.crunchyroll.com/monogatari

I think Nekomonogatari (black) is missing.
Crunchy is missing the last 3 episodes from Bakemongatari (13-15)
Now this is just a crime. What in gods name. Does CR just blindly take the TV runs and ignore everything else, even if it is important?
oh right and and the 3 eps of Bake
You say that like it isn't important :p

I think Nekomonogatari (black) is missing.Now this is just a crime. What in gods name. Does CR just blindly take the TV runs and ignore everything else, even if it is important?

Because that's what they originally licensed and it wasn't worth their while to go back and get those additional episodes later?

PewPewK

Madoka Magica - 12 [END]

Well... that was a pretty good show. Madoka's wish was similar to what I said, but on a much larger scale. It is said to see Homura not be able to be with Madoka. Homura did nothing wrong! Now, Homura is being punished (although she seems to have accepted her new world) for trying to achieve the perfect ending.

One of the best characters, Madoka's brother, only talks in the first and final episodes. Why wasn't he given more screen time? He remembers Madoka, and the mom has a faint memory of her. If Madoka is the all-mighty being, why can't she make herself a human form and live on Earth while having a part of her deal with running the Laws of the Universe?

Overall, great show, last episode was pretty emotional, and this might make me open to more anime. This is the only magical girl anime I have ever watched, and with the praise this gets, it must all be downhill from here.

Good job! Now you just have to finish the third movie. ;)

This is sort of speculation on my part, but I'm guessing
guiding Magical Girls through the Law of the Cycle is a full-time job. And she's not really "all-powerful" per say. She just now guides the Law of the Cycle which is that, as magical girls are about to become corrupt from despair, she takes their despair away onto herself, allowing the girl to die without becoming a witch. She transcends the past, but she's not really all-powerful.

Madoka Magica - 12 [END]

Good job and welcome to the club.

Watch the Rebellion movie now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom