• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
HappinessCharge! Precure 25

He3tSop.jpg
AaYFxnA.jpg

THE FACES OF KNOWING THE TRUTH! THE FACES OF SMUG! THERE WAS SMUG ALL OVER THIS EPISODE IN WHERE WE QUESTION "IS RENAI REALLY KINSHI"

Hime continues to develop in a path that could've been seen coming for a while now. Given her reactions to Seiji change over the course of the show. Initially afraid due to her anxiety and afraid of boy cooties, she initially treated him with contempt because he wasn't Megumi.

Although given what happened during episode 7, you can't blame her. The first full fledge Hime/Seiji episode was a bit of a turning point for her, in when she questions why does everyone like the Seiji, over of which, the harem protag qualities started pouring out of Seiji, and she treats him less like waste. It's weird, you'd think Hime was a tsundere, which isn't exploited very often unless it's a necessary sign of progress. That last bit aside, you'd think she was one of the better ones because it's not the main bit of her personality.

Anywho, what with the Mermaid motif going on here, and Hime fucking that up because of.... fishes.... *shutters* and Seiji saving her, she's practically gearing up to win the Seijibowl...

And next episode is all THAT

On a side note, Cure Lovely would make Domon so proud.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How often happens that someone transfers in the middle of a year anyway? Seeing anime I have to think it something that just happens every few months per year in every class

Anime also portrays adults as people who can apparently take holidays all the time which is why they are never around (except for teachers).

We all know that for the people of Japan that is far from reality.

Serai Tsukai no blade dance - 02

Never seen a VN adaptation so generic, i don't even think it's the fault of the anime team , the source material is just " dull" , nothing i haven't seen before xxx number of times.

The pantie scene , the tsundere , the oujo-sama , the pure knight , the maid that clearly hide something i'm really surprised it's so generic ...oh and next episode there will be a loli

I guess i'll watch to see how generic it can get.

Texhnolyze - End
Well, shit.... That was bleak. One hell of a series though.
Everything from episode 17 onward was rather brilliantly paced. The introduction of the Shapes did an excellent job at just, in a single moment, setting the tone for the final episodes. The surface was incredibly haunting as was the return to Lux in the final two episodes.
Just about anyone who survived the end of the series is damned to a fate worse than death. Tetsuya is stuck on the surface waiting to die and the Shapes are rendered immobile and incapable of dying. Hell, Ran the literal beacon of hope killed off her own mind just to save herself from Kano. There is no happiness to be found in the end of the series, everything is fucked and theres no way back.
And poor Ichise, in the end he couldn't beat Ran's prophecy.
So to talk generally about the series for a moment: Do not watch it for a good time. Yet at the same time it's super fascinating and rather unlike anything I've seen before it. It's messed up, deliberately so and it holds no qualms about being disturbing. I don't know if I can recommend it to most people just based on it's pacing and tone, but if you want to see life on the brink of extinction and can handle an initially slow pace, watch this.

Chariot

It's on my watchlist, so I might as well start it.

Dubbed or subbed? Any reccommendations? Seems like a South American-inspired world would be a good candidate for dubbed.
I don't think it's inspired, it is South America. Also while some strange shit happens, it's relatively realistic, especially when it comes to poverty, corruption and daily live.
I only watched it subbed, so i don't know how the dub is.

But when we already talk about it, you people should watch the show.
English Trailer

/XX/

So, guys... how do you feel about those voters at the Japan SF Convention (good ol' Nihon SF Taikai that brought to us DAICON FILMS) awarding the famous Seiun Award on its 'The Best Dramatic Presentation' category to Pacific Rim, over other candidates like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Girls und Panzer, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, PSYCHO-PASS, Arpeggio of Blue Steel ‐ARS NOVA‐, PATEMA INVERTED or Gravity?

Full list of all-category winners here:

2014年 第45回星雲賞
http://www.sf-fan.gr.jp/awards/2014result.html

So what besides Champloo, FLCL and Bebop have some really good genre soundtracks?
i got enough of being forced to play classical music in high school!
Bartender soundtrack for the smoothness, P&SwG soundtrack for reliving those 'No Pan Night' parties...

Hugstable

Banned
So, guys... how do you feel about those voters at the Japan SF Convention (good ol' Nihon SF Taikai that brought to us DAICON FILMS) awarding the famous Seiun Award on its 'The Best Dramatic Presentation' category to Pacific Rim, over other candidates like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Girls und Panzer, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, PSYCHO-PASS, Arpeggio of Blue Steel ‐ARS NOVA‐, PATEMA INVERTED or Gravity?

2014年 第45回星雲賞

Bartender soundtrack for the smoothness, P&SwG soundtrack for reliving those 'No Pan Night' parties...

I still really want to watch Yamato 2199, though Girls und Panzar is one of the more pure fun anime I've watched in awhile, but it gets really dramatic near the end?

Superflat

I'm picking up a PS4 today or tomorrow!

So obviously only one question is on my mind: Does the Crunchyroll app work okay on it?!

Until TLOUR comes out, I'm kinda just sitting on this thing :U

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

So obviously only one question is on my mind: Does the Crunchyroll app work okay on it?!

Well from all the impressions I've read going through random threads it's fine and runs way better than the PS3 one.

Taruranto

108,363 *5 Love Live! 2nd Season [BD]: 2014/06/20
24,711 *1 Haikyuu!! [BD+DVD]: 2014/07/16
11,361 *3 Mekaku City Actors[BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
10,732 *3 Gochuuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/20
*9,945 *3 No Game no Life [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
*9,561 *7 Knights of Sidonia [BD+DVD]: 2014/05/28
*7,233 *2 Kamigami no Asobi [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
*6,304 *2 Date A Live II [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/27
*5,530 *2 Isshuukan Friends [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/18
*3,188 *2 Black Bullet [BD+DVD]: 2014/07/02
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line (2,899) - - - - - - - - - - -
*2,862 *2 Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou [BD+DVD]: 2014/07/02
*1,490 *1 Hitsugi no Chaika [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/27
*1,469 *1 Akuma no Riddle [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/18
*1,324 *1 Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/18
**,919 *1 Seikoku no Dragonar [BD+DVD]: 2014/07/02
**,817 *1 Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
**,679 *1 Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
**,362 *1 Blade and Soul [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/25
**,*** *0 Fuuun Ishin DaiShogun [BD+DVD]: 2014/06/27

Fucking idols...

TheRancor

The port town of Visby, to be exact... and we should be thankful that something of this worth came out from that trip other than the image-boards from the failed Pippi Longstocking's project (http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_1b.jpg, http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_2b.jpg & http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_3b.jpg)...
Yeap the main town is Visby inspired, although Miyazaki also mentioned he modeled many different cities for the movie.

/XX/

There's a lucifer and biscuit hammer ost?
What?
Don't put salt in my wounds. I am still wait on an adaption ;___;
No, the project to make a series never came to fruition but the soundtrack is there; the thing is you just have to listen to the pillows discography and imagine the end result as it would have been animated... :'-(

I still really want to watch Yamato 2199, though Girls und Panzar is one of the more pure fun anime I've watched in awhile, but it gets really dramatic near the end?
The name of the category makes reference to live-action or animated works, as in form of action, not to the 'dramatism' as a genre in them.

BluWacky

Hmmm. Is it people just attending the convention who vote for this, or a panel of "critics"? I don't think Pacific Rim is dreadful by any means, but I'm surprised they'd pick that over Gravity (not particularly surprised they'd pick it over the other titles, though). Then again, Bodacious Space Pirates won last year, so...

2014年 第45回星雲賞

Narue no Sekai for best manga? I remember the anime as being distinctly average magical girlfriend pablum, perhaps I was mistaken.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Magica - 12 [END]

Well... that was a pretty good show. Madoka's wish was similar to what I said, but on a much larger scale. It is said to see Homura not be able to be with Madoka. Homura did nothing wrong! Now, Homura is being punished (although she seems to have accepted her new world) for trying to achieve the perfect ending.

One of the best characters, Madoka's brother, only talks in the first and final episodes. Why wasn't he given more screen time? He remembers Madoka, and the mom has a faint memory of her. If Madoka is the all-mighty being, why can't she make herself a human form and live on Earth while having a part of her deal with running the Laws of the Universe?

Overall, great show, last episode was pretty emotional, and this might make me open to more anime. This is the only magical girl anime I have ever watched, and with the praise this gets, it must all be downhill from here.

Sorry for the poor final post. It is essential 6 a.m.

No worries it was a great post. AS far as the Magical Girl genre, youve seen a fairly unique one but ask Hitokage or Kirby about the genre's standouts. They will be happy to guide you.

Forgot that and had to edit it in. Ep 12 being maybe the best episode of the whole series is a fitting end to the show anyhow. :p Besides he said he watched Bake already.

Skip episode 8 of Nise if you value your sanity.

Noooo dont skip the standout episode!

hmm

This is hilarious.

Heh, I was a moderator in a german animechat once. It had a decent amount of users - problem: most of them were kids and teenagers and the shit I had to read there. I probably became moderator because I was one of the few who didn't thought that he was a complex psycho (those were those I AM SO DEEP AND COMPLICATED NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME typ of people) or tried to hit on underage girls.
While the majority was female, most of the males were either hitting on the females (or those who claimed to be female) or really creepy talking about fictional anime characters. This wasn't lighthearted waifu talk, it was "Mhm, if only X was real, I would so fuck her in the eyesocket"-kind of talks.

Brrr, just thinking about it make me shiver.

Yeah those people have issues. but they are typically pretty young too. More mature and older fans are probably a lot less unhinged.
That said, moderating sucks. Ive lived that life.

I really wanted to try all summer ongoings, but I don't have time to watch all of them. It's my third anime season when I can't watch many ongoings and this is sad. I'm watching only five ongoings and thinking to add one or two more. Don't know what to choose. Too many interesting shows.

My ongoings are Barakamon, Rail Wars!, Pri Para and Momo Kyun Sword. And I think that anime about girl with peaches is best one. Also I have tried DRAMAtical Murder and it's not a my thing. Maybe I'll drop it after the second episode.

And here is my MAL profile if someone wants to add me.

Added you

Cowboy the Bebop 24 - "Hard Luck Woman"

We begin our descent into Bebop's endgame as the cast farewells Ed and Ein and Faye revisits the past. Wendee Lee delivers a standout performance as Faye beginning to recover her memory, essentially concluding her character arc - "Belonging's the very best thing there is".

There's no real conflict arc to this episode, so it kinds of hangs near the middle and kind of just shoehorns in a big fight scene with the guys of the crew and Ed's dad just for fun. It's still a very well made episode, with some great vehicle animation, the aforementioned fight scene, and some great musical syncopation. I love the french vocals throughout, but it's not a very driven episode, and doesn't stand alone too well.

Faye's bloom-filled, high-contrast washed out memories of a still-intact Singapore are beautiful, as is the difference in visual design that still retains similarities to her current appearance. The focus on her hair is good too, but the big highlight is really the musical thing at the end to "Call Me, Call Me" as Ed and Ein leave the ship. The bit as the chorus kicks in with Spike and Jet overlooking Ed's farewell message still brings tears to my eyes, at the same time as Faye finding her sense of identity once more in the ruins of her mansion house, staring up at the sky. Jet and Spike determinedly finishing off the eggs; an amazing silent message of farewell and endings without explicit words being said; followed by the image of Ed's pinwheel gift to Spike, apparently tied to the front of the Bebop.

See you, Space Cowgirl. Sometime, Somewhere.

Cowboy the Bebop 25 - 26 - "The Real Folk Blues" -END-

"Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. There are ends that we don't desire, but they're inevitable. We have to face them. That's what being human is all about."

We begin with Adieu, and a series of rainy shots of Julia reminscent of Spike's flashbacks, but this time with audio. The past catches up to Spike as the Red Dragon Syndicate goes full ham in the wake of Vicious' attempted coup.

There's a poster of Enter the Dragon above the mob doc's place, and Jet rambles a bit about how it isn't Spike's problem anymore; but that's not true. If there's one theme to Spike's journey, it's this: you can't escape the past. You can't. It marks you, and it defines you, and sometimes it sends assassin squads of mobsters after you I guess.

I never noticed this before, but Julia's roses that the shot frames as she and Spike talk about leaving are like two fish circling a plant... the same roses, I think, that she later tears up and spreads out the window in the flashback. Freedom? Or a fishbowl? Nothing? Hard to tell.

Faye's made it to the airport and observes the Big Shot actor meeting his mother at the airport, which I think is probably representative of something but who knows what right now. Here's probably my least favourite part of this, when Julia pretty much coincidentally runs straight past Faye and the two team up. I mean, what? Oh well, whatever. When they tell one another, their names are "very common"... it's a nice glimpse into their personality.

Jet and Spike always armchair philosophise, but Jet recounts a story - from Hemmingway's the Snows of Kilimanjaro - when he tries to talk Spike out of the suicide mission - it seems even more poignant than normal. It's even more direct than usual...

Spike gearing up for war, the assault... ignoring Faye... is he avoiding the situation again/ trying to avoid dealing with it? The battle is intense, but it's not the focus of the scene, as it intercuts between Vicious' 'execution', the battle in the skies, and Spike's memories of Julia, all set to a moody saxaphone solo.

Jet sends Spike away. "Find what you lost, and get it back"... powerful words. And then the music box version of Adieu starts... and Julia appears, seemingly to finish what was once began, and stopped.

Fade to black.

(A confusing preview plays, with Jet and Spike having a rambly conversation while Faye says something in the background but gets shocked by the preview ending)

The thing that stops Spike, momentarily, is not that revelation that he will stay, but the idea that Julia will also stay - for him. Jet and Faye trade heated words, and describe Julia - "An angel from the underworld, or a devil from paradise".

When they jump out the window, crows fly - emblemic of Vicious? And then -

Doves fly. All was for naught. She falls beautifully, but crumples like a doll. Her lips move, but the only audio is the pounding of the rain.

Jet told Faye he won't look for Spike, but he goes to the Indian elder for advice, who begins to reel off his monologue from Jupiter Jazz.

Vicious recognises the running theme that Faye dealt with last episode, about finding one's place, and recognises that his men have robbed Spike of his - and that, things being what they are, there is only one possible outcome.

Spike appears to Jet, and they share a conversation reminiscent of the first few episodes. Spike returns Jet the favour of a story, but fakes out the ending.

"Is it for the girl?"
"She's dead. There's nothing I can do for her now"

And Faye begins her conversation the only way she knows how, by pointing a gun at Spike's face. The guitar... Spike's fake eye monologue... watching a dream. Faye's last episode may have been prior, but her storyline continues into this episode; the bonds she can't deal with are still here. The Bebop is the only family she has left; she says as much explicitly.

"But before I knew it, the dream was all over."

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out of I'm really alive"

The voice acting is fucking astounding. Wendee Lee delivers an amazing performance, but so do Blum and Billingslee.

Astounding sense of a choreography as the ED, The Real Folk Blues, finally plays in its entirety as Spike begins his assault on the Red Dragon Syndicate.

"So, you're finally awake..."

"It's all... a dream..."
"Yeah... just a dream."

"...bang."

The choreography and hyperrealism is astounding throughout, but the pan to credits is also really astounding, as well as the fading out of the star in the sky.

---

Cowboy the Bebop: Overall Thoughts

What a fucking series. You know, on some level, I can't really say the bluray cut added that much to the experience, since what I remember mainly about Bebop hasn't got jackshit to do with the visual quality so much as it is the writing - direction - choreography - editing - pacing - acting - music - syncing - I mean, it was nice to see it clear on a big screen, but I remember it being just as powerful when I watched it on shitty pirated DVD quality from a 10 buck shop in Malaysia on an old analogue CRT TV.

One of the really interesting things I find about Spike's past in general is that a lot of the characters in it - Julia, Annie, Vicious - are not really built up in a meaningful way prior (because Spike doesn't talk about his past) but, due to the way that they're treated in-story, still feel extremely real and vivid. Very confident decision.

On rewatch, some of the flaws - mainly to do with episodes simply not having enough time to move, and one or two clunkers that just aren't that great (Jet's stupid fung shui adventures, that dumb episode with the environmental terrorists) - stand out more, but its strengths also stand out more to me too. What a show.

Cowboy Bebop truly was an icon of its time. Time has been surprisingly rough on the series however as more recent shows have taken its influences and diluted its effect. However the show remains a landmark of anime history and when it came out there was absolutely nothing remotely close to it.
Ending it with Blue was masterful. It left people with a feeling that few other shows have ever matched and provided one of the most beautiful soul stirring endings to any anime.
In that respect Cowboy Bebop was not overrated at all.

So what besides Champloo, FLCL and Bebop have some really good genre soundtracks?

Noir has a nice early Yuki Kajiura soundtrack. ITs quite dated now.
Gundam Build fighters ha a pretty incredible OST as well.
Angela's work in Stellvia was particularly brilliant too.
I think my favorite overall though was the OST of Princess Mononoke. that one is absolutely sublime.

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah Crunchy on ps4 has always worked well for me. My PS4 has basically been chilling since launch waiting for Last of Us and Destiny haha. Til then PS4 is my big screen anime machine. :D

I think I've had it with Japanese comedy in general. Shouting and overreacting just elicit a groan from me nowadays. You could say I've become immune to these types of gags. The gun and shoujo manga gimmicks unfortunately aren't enough to sell me. What ever happened to the quirky and zany humour the Japanese are famous for? All these shows about 'zany' clubs are ruining the industry!
As good as an anime comedy could get it'll never reach western comedy levels such as arrested development. The funniest anime comedy that works for western fans that I've seen is DMC. But it's hard to not laugh when a metal singer makes the tokyo tower have an orgasm or he's raping a tambourine.

/XX/

Hmmm. Is it people just attending the convention who vote for this, or a panel of "critics"? I don't think Pacific Rim is dreadful by any means, but I'm surprised they'd pick that over Gravity (not particularly surprised they'd pick it over the other titles, though). Then again, Bodacious Space Pirates won last year, so...
Not to say the choice they made is incorrect, of course, I'm no one to say that, but boy... dammed I am if a work like Space Battleship Yamato 2199 doesn't precisely encapsulate an 'ota' SF spirit similar to the one with which those conventions were born (discovery, exploration... adventure!), but renovated... I seriously thought they would be all over it!

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop's "Blue" I still regularly listen to it in my car to and from work. And it's easily one of the most emotional songs there are.

You're gonna carry that weight. Unless the weight is the American blu ray because that will never be released.

So I had the urge to watch Kingdom since the manga is not licensed here, and I know the anime is bad but, Funimation doesn't even have a physical release??? Da heyl?

/XX/

Yeap the main town is Visby inspired, although Miyazaki also mentioned he modeled many different cities for the movie.
Yeah! If I remember correctly, the most direct European architecture inspiration draw from a sole place that Mr. Miyazaki took for one of his projects was the Alsatian town of Colmar, used for settings reference on Howl's Moving Castle... and this simplicity is something that some attributed to his "laziness" towards salvaging the project. Seems many prefer the idealized mixes! :)

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of Cowboy Bebop's "Blue" I still regularly listen to it in my car to and from work. And it's easily one of the most emotional songs there are.

You're gonna carry that weight. Unless the weight is the American blu ray because that will never be released.

Its one of the best anime songs.
Also screw you for reminding me :(

I want a corgi when I graduate and start working thanks to ein. But I figured there are a million corgis named Ein so I will name mine "Thorgi Dog of Thunder"

Coincidentally I'll also eventually get a female German Shepherd and call her Commander Shepherd. That'll please femshep fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom