• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a corgi when I graduate and start working thanks to ein. But I figured there are a million corgis named Ein so I will name mine "Thorgi Dog of Thunder"

Coincidentally I'll also eventually get a female German Shepherd and call her Commander Shepherd. That'll please femshep fans.

I... okay. Get a third dog and name him/her Ensign Woofington.

Superflat

Flawless for me.

Well from all the impressions I've read going through random threads it's fine and runs way better than the PS3 one.

Yeah Crunchy on ps4 has always worked well for me. My PS4 has basically been chilling since launch waiting for Last of Us and Destiny haha. Til then PS4 is my big screen anime machine. :D

Thanks for letting me know! I always preferred watching shows on the television instead of my laptop/PC monitors.

The only way I watched anime on my television was via hdmi from my macbook pro, which is okay, but very clunky. Weirdly, being able to stream annie-may from a console with a controller is one of the most exciting things about getting one right now lol

Firemind

I think I am enjoying Japanese comedy more than ever. I recently rewatched Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, and it's just so good ^_^

Oh, Male Nichijou was a fantastic comedy. The various gags were played out well, even though it was usually about something banal. That's just it. It uses everyday occurrences to create the gags, often purely because of boredom.

Nowadays you have comedy shows dictated by after school clubs to create the gags. Light music, swimming, soft tennis, the occult, people with no friends, female otaku, solving mysteries, finding extraterrestrials, WWII-era tanks, anthropomorphized guns, you name it. "Haha, it's so weird!"

I can't wait for the whole thing to die.

phaze

Cowboy the Bebop 24 - "Hard Luck Woman"
Cowboy the Bebop 25 - 26 - "The Real Folk Blues" -END-
Cowboy the Bebop: Overall Thoughts

Great impressions. Even as someone for whom Bebop wasn't all that it was purported to be, the finale hit me hard. Show as whole oozed with style and they did great a great job setting up the melancholic mood during the main arc. Your rewatch kind of made want to start my own, maybe with dub this this. Perhaps now with many more anime titles behind me I would be able to appreciate it more.

Texhnolyze - End
Well, shit.... That was bleak. One hell of a series though.

So to talk generally about the series for a moment: Do not watch it for a good time. Yet at the same time it's super fascinating and rather unlike anything I've seen before it. It's messed up, deliberately so and it holds no qualms about being disturbing. I don't know if I can recommend it to most people just based on it's pacing and tone, but if you want to see life on the brink of extinction and can handle an initially slow pace, watch this.

Show has been on my to do list since finishing Shigurui. Seems like a very similar experience. Will eventually get to it.

Superflat

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop's "Blue" I still regularly listen to it in my car to and from work. And it's easily one of the most emotional songs there are.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gotta know

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Literally just finished listening to Blue right now as I read your post lol

Cowboy Bebop OST in general is probably my all-time favorite.

Yoko Kanno's Vision of Escaflowne is close behind.

Sakura

Nowadays you have comedy shows dictated by after school clubs to create the gags. Light music, swimming, soft tennis, the occult, people with no friends, female otaku, solving mysteries, finding extraterrestrials, WWII-era tanks, anthropomorphized guns, you name it. "Haha, it's so weird!"

I think there are still plenty of great comedies 'nowadays'. Working!!, Hataraku Maou, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou are all pretty recent and are some of my favourite comedies.
Just ignore the other shows you don't like, that's what I do.

The devil is a part timer started out strong then they kept bringing in characters and it got shitty. That japanese looking assassin girl was the tipping point. I wish they would've stayed with the original 4 and just did episode after episode of the school girl doing her screaming face.

The devil is a part timer started out strong then they kept bringing in characters and it got shitty. That japanese looking assassin girl was the tipping point. I wish they would've stayed with the original 4 and just did episode after episode of the school girl doing her screaming face.

Disliked her but also disliked Lucifer. Although he did play that Dark Souls parody if I recall right, which was funny to me.

Chariot

No, the project to make a series never came to fruition but the soundtrack is there; the thing is you just have to listen to the pillows discography and imagine the end result as it would have been animated... :'-(
That makes me so sad. No change to see it again the the near future? :(

So I had the urge to watch Kingdom since the manga is not licensed here, and I know the anime is bad but, Funimation doesn't even have a physical release??? Da heyl?
The anime isn't bad. It has some horrible cg for big armies, which is at least somewhat understandable (while still horrible) and some cencoring, since the manga can get pretty graphic when armies clash or generals fighting each other. But that don't take that much from the enjoyment. The anime's biggest flaw comes from the manga itself. The first arc is just not very interesting, since it lacks a lot of the tactics and politics the later arcs have.

Yo, are you insulting my girl Suzuno?

idERXrk1XSq63.gif

Sakura

Eh, it was a short series though so it didn't really bother me much. Yea the assassin girl was kind of lame, but there were still some great bits in there.

Some other recent comedies I really liked are Minami-ke Tadaima, Tonari no Seki-kun, and Ben-to. Especially Ben-to. So many great gags. The constant pictures of Sonic. The fact his ringtone is a dial-up modem noise lol, just a great show.

Firemind

I think there are still plenty of great comedies 'nowadays'. Working!!, Hataraku Maou, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou are all pretty recent and are some of my favourite comedies.
Just ignore the other shows you don't like, that's what I do.

Working! was a 2010-2011 show. Not familiar with the Devil part-timer. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy my fair share of comedies in the past five years, but dang, it's been a long time since Joshiraku. And before that Male Nichijou and Nichijou (if you erase Hakase, robot maid and the talking cat from the show.)

Eh, it was a short series though so it didn't really bother me much. Yea the assassin girl was kind of lame, but there were still some great bits in there.

Some other recent comedies I really liked are Minami-ke Tadaima, Tonari no Seki-kun, and Ben-to. Especially Ben-to. So many great gags. The constant pictures of Sonic. The fact his ringtone is a dial-up modem noise lol, just a great show.

Nice, a fellow Ben-to fan. I went into that anime expecting to drop it in one episode based on the ridiculous premise, and it ended up having some of the best combat scenes of that season. Would beat people up at the supermarket for more.

Sakura

Working! was a 2010-2011 show. Not familiar with the Devil part-timer. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy my fair share of comedies in the past five years, but dang, it's been a long time since Joshiraku. And before that Male Nichijou and Nichijou (if you erase Hakase, robot maid and the talking cat from the show.)

Is 2011 really not 'nowadays' any more? I mean, it was only 3 years ago. We'll probably get a 3rd season eventually.

Nice, a fellow Ben-to fan. I went into that anime expecting to drop it in one episode based on the ridiculous premise, and it ended up having some of the best combat scenes of that season. Would beat people up at the supermarket for more.
Ben-to was great! The premise is so dumb, but the fact they take it so seriously just makes it hilarious.

phaze

Baby don't hurt me, no more. :(
Also: double standards. I think it's a nice step for gender equality.
It's probably not, but there is really a double standard.

Please, my half nipple is nothing against the sea of full nipples you guys swim in.

No double standards, at least from me. ;) In my slim experience with those type of shows this trait is the worst part of characters like Taiga/Chitoge. Thankfully they tone it down as show progresses. I did like Senjougahara but she's more into constant, dripping with sarcasm, verbal abuse rather than the physical one. (You would think that with his regenerative abilities she would lash out more.)

YamiHat 07

A sudden star wars reference.

The little girl on the island gets left alone with the tiger and a boat and they tell her to use the boat to go traveling to the land beyond the sea. Seems a bit irresponsible... And the world is tearing apart stuff was because the book got damaged. That's... actually what I thought it was.

And then some of Hazukis backstory where she uh... touches herself while thinking about her sister. We then find out that they're not blood related so it's all ok? After that she touches herself again while lying in her sisters bed... And then she eats some of her sister's pancakes which seems to be quite bad.

Chariot

No double standards, at least from me. ;) In my slim experience with those type of shows this trait is the worst part of characters like Taiga/Chitoge. Thankfully they tone it down as show progresses. I did like Senjougahara but she's more into constant, dripping with sarcasm, verbal abuse rather than the physical one. (You would think that with his regenerative abilities she would lash out more.)
I don't think Sejougahara is a tsundere. She just says so one time or another, but she is very open about loving Aragi and even wanting to protect him from his saving-girls urges in Nisemonogatari. She cleary lacks the tsun-part.

But ok, no double standards. I just thought t'was important for you that the tsundere in Noazki was male.
Suzuno was what got me interested in Hataraku in the first place.

More precisely, this gif

CUTEST CHARACTER, SO BACK AWFF.
Brother!
Or sister. I'm not sure. Anyways, you're cool.

Ben-to was another anime that could've been so much more but they insisted in bringing back elements that most hated. Like that yuri girl who kept physically abusing main character because he had a penis, or the ecchi that wasn't necessary. They Should've stuck with the sweet action choreography and the humor that stemmed from the ridiculous situation like "ze wizard"

Vylash

Whoa now, Hataraku is the shit, was really solid from start to finish, I was afraid it'd descend into a generic harem and I'm so glad it didn't

Ben-to was another anime that could've been so much more but they insisted in bringing back elements that most hated. Like that yuri girl who kept physically abusing main character because he had a penis, or the ecchi that wasn't necessary. They Should've stuck with the sweet action choreography and the humor that stemmed from the ridiculous situation like "ze wizard"
dammit does the blasphemy never end with you? :(

My standards for comedy aren't met with anime usually. Gintama was one of the few. Animated comedies rarely do it for me. Outside of Bob's Burgers, old Simpsons, south park, and Rick and Morty to name some of the few I consider amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What a complex way to look at Ben-to. Its actual problem was it brought in an unneeded storyline. If it kept things simple like the earlier episodes things would have been fine. Introducing new characters is also fine and can help keep things fresh. But the story basically dragged everything down with it.

What a complex way to look at Ben-to. Its actual problem was it brought in an unneeded storyline. If it kept things simple like the earlier episodes things would have been fine. Introducing new characters is also fine and can help keep things fresh. But the story basically dragged everything down with it.

That's a wordy way to say it became haremshit after the first 6 episodes. It didn't help that the last episode ended with a whimper by skipping over the fight that had been building for several episodes.

Pooya

just occurred to me, I liked gbf ost a lot and didn't even know who the composer was. looks like he's been attached to bunch of bad anime outside of gbf, like diabolik lovers wff and a couple of I don't know what. quite young too but maybe started his career relatively late though.

Many comedy anime shows should be just a short OVA series or a movie because their issue ends up being that they have a solid beginning but then continuously get worst. Seitokai Yakuindomo* is a show that suffered from no longer having that fresh factor. The gags weren't as funny and thr dynamic of the girls saying something perverted and the male lead responding got old after 20+ episodes of the same.

What is this bob's burgers always brought up, should I be trying western animation again?

Eh, I don't know what your standards are but I've watched a couple seasons and I can take it or leave it.
It's a new comedy on Fox that has H Jon Benjamin as the lead. If anything brings you back to western animation it should be Archer though as it's comedy style is pseudo arrested development. Bob's Burgers is a bit more specific with its target audience. It has very well written episodes and usually a catchy song, but it's by no means laugh out loud hysterically.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's a wordy way to say it became haremshit after the first 6 episodes. It didn't help that the last episode ended with a whimper by skipping over the fight that had been building for several episodes.
I couldn't remember what it became. I just remember story came in and the show was ruined and thus became forgettable.

Jex

I wouldn't call it random, I'd just call it a vastly increased budget. I mean, Madoka was an original anime first, they had no clue it'd be as popular as it became so the show obviously got an good, but not massive, budget.

But then the show became a massive fucking success and, when they went to make the movies, they got to redo a lot of it with their increased budget. So anything and everything that could benefit from a few extra million to the art/animation team got thrown in.

A number of the changes literally make no sense. Updating character art/animation is fine, completely throwing in new backgrounds is just SHAFT being SHAFT. Unless the changes actually alter the meaning of the visuals, they're pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom