• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
When I say elitist, I mean that these anime get targeted often by people who want to to watch intelligent anime to stand out from pleb anime fans (the kind of people who watch only Naruto and think it's the greatest thing every without confirming) and average anime fans (the huge chunk of people who just watch whatever).

People who just watch Naruto aren't anime fans, they're just Naruto fans.

Chariot

Oh I am refering to a crowd of people I met in school. These people literally only watched Naruto and claimed it to be the best anime ever, without any urge to watch any of my recommendations. They said that Naruto already has so many episodes they don't have time for anything else. When I tried to recommend movies and short OVAs, they said that they can't be good because they're too short.
This is the crowd I mean. There are people out there and I would even count some people in who have watched more than one show, but not much more.

TUSR

Banned

Oh I am refering to a crowd of people I met in school. These people literally only watched Naruto and claimed it to be the best anime ever, without any urge to watch any of my recommendations. They said that Naruto already has so many episodes they don't have time for anything else. When I tried to recommend movies and short OVAs, they said that they can't be good because they're too short.
This is the crowd I mean. There are people out there and I would even count some people in who have watched more than one show, but not much more.

Kishi dropped the ball with the series, I remember enjoying Naruto before it became DBZ. Now its all ying and yang, mother of chakra eating fruit trying to reclaim her son's sons to become something something 10 tails sharingrannangan.

I just googled shippuden and got this
twaJxcQ.png

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 4

So I guess Mikuru is also an alien? And that other guy who's in the SOS Brigade is at least familiar with them, and probably one himself.

Anyway, baseball tournament. Kyon bringing his little sister to play so they'd lose early and he could go home was pretty funny. But he doesn't seem to have too much appreciation for Haruhi's powers, what with her opening an enclosed space and threatening the world because she was unhappy. Even after going to this "world" Haruhi took him to.

Chariot

Kishi dropped the ball with the series, I remember enjoying Naruto before it became DBZ. Now its all ying and yang, mother of chakra eating fruit trying to reclaim her son's sons to become something something 10 tails sharingrannangan.
Yeah, they should've Kishi finish when he wanted to finish. At some point he even dropped his own rules. I totally couldn't work with Kabutos technique, because it made chakralimits redundant.

shit i just admitted that i still read the manga.
Don't worry, I do too. I enjoy the ride with the burning train. Same goes for Bleach. The contrast actually make me appreciate HxH and One Piece even more.
The only thing I remember about Naruto was the golden shower......whoever wrote that episode was on fucking crack.
Do I wanna know? In the name of Alice Goldwet, I wanna know.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, they should've Kishi finish when he wanted to finish. At some point he even dropped his own rules. I totally couldn't work with Kabutos technique, because it made chakralimits redundant.

Don't worry, I do too. I enjoy the ride with the burning train.

I started reading it back in 1999... I have to finish it.

Greatest episode was Naruto vs Sasuke at the Valley of the End for me.

I don't think anyone would disagree. That was the peak for me too.

Rhapsody

Banned
If we're talking about actual episode. Gaara vs Lee was my favorite.

Was there an interview that hinted where he wanted to finish it?

How about them One Piece and Gintama fans. Though I do believe Gintama is one of the best in the medium. As for One Piece Oda's a flashback and foreshadowing genius.

I also gotta mention Bleach has one of the most hax Villain (Aizen). Fool hasn't even shown his Bankai even in the manga.

Oh yeah if you haven't noticed I'm also a fan of Gintama.

Chariot

Yes, I actually liked a lot of the fillers before Shippuuden, because they developed a lot of the sidecharacters. It was really enjoyable.
Was there an interview that hinted where he wanted to finish it?
Yes, I think somewhere last year he said "one year more" or something. And we ARE at the finale.
How about them One Piece and Gintama fans. Though I do believe Gintama is one of the best in the medium. As for One Piece Oda's a flashback and foreshadowing genius.

I also gotta mention Bleach has one of the most hax Villain (Aizen). Fool hasn't even shown his Bankai even in the manga.

Oh yeah if you haven't noticed I'm also a fan of Gintama.
I just had Naruto as an example, since it's a very common one. I saw some One Piece fans in the same category (who just have seen One Piece but thought it's the best in every regard, without checking other things). Gintama interestingly enough, I wouldn't count. Have yet to see someone who watches Gintama and nothing else. I think Gintama is free from this, since you have to know a bit about anime to really appreciate some of the comedy.

Superflat

Examples in my opinion would be Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Ergo Proxy and Mushishi. And I do hope that you not just skipped the whole text before the examples and give me shit for the examples. Give me shit for my thoughts about elitists, please.

I've seen SE:Lain, Haibane Renmei and Mushishi from that short list, and yeah, they're solid 10's in my book. SE:Lain is definitely the most abstract/unconventional among the others, but they're just solid and very enjoyable titles with amazing atmosphere and good storytelling.

I'll add Mindgame to that list. It's a brilliant movie that also falls victim to 'elitist fans', though not widespread because it's still hardly known.

Tekkon Kinkreet maybe? It's by the same studio but not nearly as strong a movie.

Also can't forget Satoshi Kon's works like Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers.

I should probably check out the other two. Ergo Proxy's designs just completely turned me off back in the day, and I know absolutely nothing about Kino's Journey.

Naruto will be a complete failure if Hinata doesn't win and Tenten doesn't become Hokage

Tenten? Hokage?

Naruto has changed (hasn't seen anime past the initial Chuunin exams and read up to the start of Shippuden).

Nordicus

If we're talking about actual episode. Gaara vs Lee was my favorite.
Only part in this series where I was so hyped that I jumped out of my seat shouting "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!". Man, just seeing those weights drop like that, it was bonkers. The show peaked horribly early, really.

Now I wonder, how well does Rock Lee fare in Naruto character popularity polls?

Clov

I've seen SE:Lain, Haibane Renmei and Mushishi from that short list, and yeah, they're solid 10's in my book. SE:Lain is definitely the most abstract/unconventional among the others, but they're just solid and very enjoyable titles with amazing atmosphere and good storytelling.

I'll add Mindgame to that list. It's a brilliant movie that also falls victim to 'elitist fans', though not widespread because it's still hardly known.

Tekkon Kinkreet maybe? It's by the same studio but not nearly as strong a movie.

Also can't forget Satoshi Kon's works like Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers.

I should probably check out the other two. Ergo Proxy's designs just completely turned me off back in the day, and I know absolutely nothing about Kino's Journey.

Most of those are wonderful anime! I remember really enjoying Mind Game, though I need to rewatch it at some point. It's been a while. Tekkonkinkreet is also pretty great. Not perfect, but I think it does a lot of things right. It tells a great story, and has some great style to it as well.

I'm not so big on Ergo Proxy, though it had its moments. Kino's Journey is a must watch, though. Same director as Lain, though it's a very different sort of work! I think you'll really enjoy it, considering all the other anime you've listed here.

Only part in this series where I was so hyped that I jumped out of my seat shouting "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!". Man, just seeing those weights drop like that, it was bonkers. The show peaked horribly early, really.

Now I wonder, how well does Rock Lee fare in Naruto character popularity polls?

Results for this poll were given with manga chapter 584.

Naruto Uzumaki - 9,889 votes
Sasuke Uchiha - 8,099 votes
Kakashi Hatake - 7,568 votes
Gaara - 6,788 votes
Itachi Uchiha - 6,555 votes
Minato Namikaze - 6,222 votes
Shikamaru Nara - 6,220 votes
Hinata Hyūga - 5,789 votes
Iruka Umino - 5,444 votes
Sakura Haruno - 4,905 votes
Might Guy - 4,899 votes
Deidara - 4,009 votes
Neji Hyūga - 3,975 votes
Killer B - 3,556 votes
Tobi - 3,109 votes
Sasori - 2,975 votes
Jiraiya - 2,875 votes
Yamato - 2,333 votes
Kiba Inuzuka - 2,097 votes
Shino Aburame - 1,907 votes
Temari - 1,782 votes
Kushina Uzumaki - 1,711 votes
Kankurō - 1,567 votes
Hidan - 1,328 votes
Pain - 1,245 votes
Kisame Hoshigaki - 1,207 votes
Ino Yamanaka - 1,092 votes
Konan - 1,042 votes
Tenten - 1,009 votes
Kabuto Yakushi - 999 votes
Orochimaru - 975 votes
Tsunade - 972 votes
Chōji Akimichi - 970 votes
Madara Uchiha - 922 votes
Zetsu - 845 votes

looool

Chariot

Yes, interesting list, I actually never even heard of the first two.

Bleach still exists?
Sadly. For me it started to suck at Hueco Mundo and fell totally appart when Aizen became a butterfly. I enjoyed the Soul Society Arc, the Captains are nice to watch and pretty fun for themselves. Kubo actually did a good job to give me the feeling that the Captains and their people have actual characters and are not just tools.

Episode 192. It also has a caucasian Elvis Presley.....yeah.... a caucasian in a eastern world of ninjas.
Ooook. Elviy presley and urin.

TUSR

Banned
I just got a cute girl raising game google ad, with 'sweet' and 'tundere' as taglines. :lol
s u n d e e r 4 s e n p a i

Results for this poll were given with manga chapter 584.

Naruto Uzumaki - 9,889 votes
Sasuke Uchiha - 8,099 votes
Kakashi Hatake - 7,568 votes
Gaara - 6,788 votes
Itachi Uchiha - 6,555 votes
Minato Namikaze - 6,222 votes
Shikamaru Nara - 6,220 votes
Hinata Hyūga - 5,789 votes
Iruka Umino - 5,444 votes
Sakura Haruno - 4,905 votes
Might Guy - 4,899 votes
Deidara - 4,009 votes
Neji Hyūga - 3,975 votes
Killer B - 3,556 votes
Tobi - 3,109 votes
Sasori - 2,975 votes
Jiraiya - 2,875 votes
Yamato - 2,333 votes
Kiba Inuzuka - 2,097 votes
Shino Aburame - 1,907 votes
Temari - 1,782 votes
Kushina Uzumaki - 1,711 votes
Kankurō - 1,567 votes
Hidan - 1,328 votes
Pain - 1,245 votes
Kisame Hoshigaki - 1,207 votes
Ino Yamanaka - 1,092 votes
Konan - 1,042 votes
Tenten - 1,009 votes
Kabuto Yakushi - 999 votes
Orochimaru - 975 votes
Tsunade - 972 votes
Chōji Akimichi - 970 votes
Madara Uchiha - 922 votes
Zetsu - 845 votes

looool

Honestly expected Itachi first.

Bleach still exists?

You know the beginning of Bleach was awesome. Better than Naruto and One piece. Though like some long running Shonen Anime's it becomes stale. Though I still love Bleach and can't hate it because it brings back nostalgia. I still hope that by the end Orihime is shipped with Ichigo it's a matter of time, you better do this Kubo.

Chariot

Shingeki no Bahamut: Gensis to air this Fall and holy crap, dat casting: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25606.html

Here's the first PV:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyalqGh5rvk&feature=player_embedded

Looks pretty damn good, this Fall will be the best season in animu history.
Aside from icky cg dragon it looks pretty promising. Is this an actual fantasy anime without guns n stuff?

You know the beginning of Bleach was awesome. Better than Naruto and One piece. Though like some long running Shonen Anime's it becomes stale. Though I still love Bleach and can't hate it because it brings back nostalgia. I still hope that by the end Orihime is shipped with Ichigo it's a matter of time, you better do this Kubo.
I actually liked One Piece from the get-go. It was pretty silly and lighthearted and still could deliver on touching flashbacks.

phaze

Are you saying Hercules < French Mary Sue? That is absurd.

<Nitpicking> Wait how is (full Fate/Zero spoilers)
Lancelot French ?

Shippuden 322 > all. Well at least if we're judging purely by combat in the episode.

Think Shippuden 167 would get my vote if we're judging the eps as a whole.

Firemind

You have my axe.

Orihime is hot not gonna lie.

Rukia is probably a prude anyway.

Soma

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis is set to air this Fall and holy crap, dat casting: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25606.html

Here's the first PV:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyalqGh5rvk&feature=player_embedded

Sure is great especially for those who can't read Japanese!

For everyone else:

Yoko Hikasa
Kawasumi Ayako
Shuichi Ikeda
Saori Hayami
Haruka Tomatsu
Horie Yui
Koyasu Takehito
Sawashiro Miyuki
Koyama Kimiko
Tetsuya Kakihara
Yukana
Miyano Mamoru
Morikubo Showtaro
Gotou Saori

survivor

Banned
I have the feeling some people are going to kick me in the nuts. So I shall explain some things first, because I like my nuts. They're my favorite pair. I don't ever loved a pair of nuts so much like my pair of nuts. They're pretty rad nuts, they hanging around since 21 years and I really taking a liking to them.

When I say elitist, I mean that these anime get targeted often by people who want to to watch intelligent anime to stand out from pleb anime fans (the kind of people who watch only Naruto and think it's the greatest thing every without confirming) and average anime fans (the huge chunk of people who just watch whatever). That said, if I call an anime elitist I don't want to imply that everyone that watches and enjoy this show is an elitist. Just that I consider it an elitist anime, that is seeked out specifically by some people to feel higher up, similar to philosophic texts, certain kinds of music or entertainment (e.g. opera or theatre).

Further I don't want to imply that this shows are in fact not intelligent or enjoyable. Only that people watch this shows for prestige and self esteem, instead of a real will to watch the show or true excitement of the contents. Like reading Shakespeare to earn the right to nod in intellectual discussions or to impress with interpretations phrased and thought out by one of the many people who really worked with the drama.

In a way the term "elitist" is wrong. A "true" elitist would actually be knowledgeable and with heart on the show. What I call elitists are in a way "fake-elitists". Pretenders who seek the sparkle of the real elitists to be be on a similar intellectual level.

Examples in my opinion would be Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Ergo Proxy and Mushishi. And I do hope that you not just skipped the whole text before the examples and give me shit for the examples. Give me shit for my thoughts about elitists, please.

This is the Mushishi OT for season two. Who is a true elitist and who is a fake elitist from there?

Crocodile

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis is set to air this Fall and holy crap, dat casting: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25606.html

A bit of wonky CG aside this looks VERY good. It's been forever since we've had a quality fantasy anime. Is this an original IP? Is this based on a manga/LN that is confirmed not to go to shit X chapters in? Can I get hype?

Dude, the elite probably want me to walk on the street if we meet on the sidewalk. I am enjoying shows people think of silly and I don't value a lot of elitist shows not that much. When it comes to anime I value fun the most.

I have the feeling some people are going to kick me in the nuts. So I shall explain some things first, because I like my nuts. They're my favorite pair. I don't ever loved a pair of nuts so much like my pair of nuts. They're pretty rad nuts, they hanging around since 21 years and I really taking a liking to them.

When I say elitist, I mean that these anime get targeted often by people who want to to watch intelligent anime to stand out from pleb anime fans (the kind of people who watch only Naruto and think it's the greatest thing every without confirming) and average anime fans (the huge chunk of people who just watch whatever). That said, if I call an anime elitist I don't want to imply that everyone that watches and enjoy this show is an elitist. Just that I consider it an elitist anime, that is seeked out specifically by some people to feel higher up, similar to philosophic texts, certain kinds of music or entertainment (e.g. opera or theatre).

Further I don't want to imply that this shows are in fact not intelligent or enjoyable. Only that people watch this shows for prestige and self esteem, instead of a real will to watch the show or true excitement of the contents. Like reading Shakespeare to earn the right to nod in intellectual discussions or to impress with interpretations phrased and thought out by one of the many people who really worked with the drama.

In a way the term "elitist" is wrong. A "true" elitist would actually be knowledgeable and with heart on the show. What I call elitists are in a way "fake-elitists". Pretenders who seek the sparkle of the real elitists to be be on a similar intellectual level.

Heh.

Saying stuff like "I like fun the most". Well, surprise surprise, everybody likes fun. Problem is, not everyone agrees what it's fun. It happens to be subjective. What you could call fun, it's for other person something between boring, embarrassing and stupid. And the other way around, of course.

And believing that people out there watch series for prestige or to feel superior... lol. Or maybe, just maybe, they like said series because they like the characters, the plot, the way they are told, the emotions they provoke, whatever. I'm not saying that people like that doesn't exist, but I think they are much less numerous than you may believe.

And Hamlet rocks.

phaze

Toradora 21-22

mean_girls_fightibs92.gif

Holy crap I did not see that coming.

Our crew get their assess to a ski resort. Clearly mountain air suit them because things escalate and escalate until finally Taiga drops the nuke.

I like that for some time now, they spend bits of their time on characters other than the main 5. It helps to make that class seem less artificial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom