• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

This is the Mushishi OT for season two. Who is a true elitist and who is a fake elitist from there?
I am not going to look through this thread guess who is who, that certainly goes over my limited wits.
But I am confident that there is a crowd of people who just look at these show for the stated reasons, sadly the only examples I can pull out of my ass are german, I don't think that this will help you much.

More guy names, what the heck.
BETRAYAL!

edit: Holy shit, guys, I am writing one small post and half a dozen new ones appear in the meantime, where does this sudden speed come from D:
Heh.

Saying stuff like "I like fun the most". Well, surprise surprise, everybody likes fun. Problem is, not everyone agrees what it's fun. It happens to be subjective. What you could call fun, it's for other person something between boring, embarrassing and stupid. And the other way around, of course.

And believing that people out there watch series for prestige or to feel superior... lol. Or maybe, just maybe, they like said series because they like the characters, the plot, the way they are told, the emotions they provoke, whatever. I'm not saying that people like that doesn't exist, but I think they are much less numerous than you may believe.

And Hamlet rocks.
Actually a certain thread about Spec-Ops people reminded me that people don't just consume media for fun. Fun is some casual enjoyment, some people seek media not to have fun, but to think, to seek or to criticize.

And as I said I don't accuse you or anyone here of being that type of consument. But there are the people who really enjoy watching thoughful shows and philosoph about it - and then there are people who just try to emulate intellectualism for the sake of intellectualism.
The best comparison I have right now are the neo rich russians (this sounds arkward, I mean 'neurreiche Russen'), who just buy whatever of art and go to operas just to live the rich life, but not because they enjoy it was people, but because "it's something rich people do".

Love Lab 1
Skipped on this when it first aired so, since I've got some time, I picked it up again. It's a bit funny and in some ways cute though it isn't that good so far.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 03

Call it "mana recovery", but that still counts as yuri. I see Shiro's as magnetic as he is in any other universe, but the main takeaway from this episode was the interrogation scene. The shared pain mechanism with Kuroe was used for comedy, but it's definitely a stopgap measure to prevent even worse things from happening. I can't think of a magical girl who had her entire identity revealed in front of her close circle of friends like that, but as with the other magical girl this season, it's easy enough for the unknowing to pass it off as simple cosplay.

Not a lot of magical girl action, but the mystery behind exactly who Kuroe is is a nice angle. (Now CR really needs to get back with EoC. What's the holdup there?)

Vylash

I don't mind to be frustrated by you

image.php

cajunator

Banned
Van Halen would like to have a word with you.

I like this reference

Is this actually a thing? Why was this thing made? What purpose does this thing serve?

squee!

Code Geass R2 - 25

Well, at least everything went according to plan. I don't know why I stopped at episode 18 or 19, but at least I have finished now. To whoever said it was like Death Note, yes it was, even the ending. Why does every show with a plot like this end with
the guy with all the power planning to change the world dying? I wish there was an anime that had them live.
Don't recommend one to me, or else the ending will be spoiled :p

So now I don't know what to watch. Madoka Magica movie? Ghost in the Shell? Something on my dropped/watching but not caught up/on hold list? Something else?

My list is here: List

Added you!

well looks like this is happening.
not sure if they will not suck it up though.

Hmmm. cuties in it. Need more info.

Further added to that list, Yuushibu. Didn't recognize the name in English. Hopefully it's the uncensored release otherwise no dice from me.

Yessssssss
I need some hidef Fino cuteness in my life.
By the way, the Mashiro nendoroid is up for preorder.
I know yall want it!
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10285508

The sad part for me is what it means for the future of 'traditional' animation. Disney abandoned it for CG/3D so beyond anything else Ghibli is like the gold standard for that.

Unfortunately this is a very real indicator that hand drawn animationis losing its appeal. I dont know if some of it has to do with a not as compelling story though. I mean Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, even Arrietty were fun and intriguing stories. This not so much.

5BGhij8.png

I, uh...

what?

That China effect.

I don't think our honour needs saving - at least not these days. The rise of legitimate streaming services means that the vast majority of anime talked about in this thread at least has the capability of being watched legitimately, placing the burden of proof squarely in the same area as game and music piracy insinuations except for the few shows that are/have not been licensed or the occasional special airing that we technically shouldn't have access to. While cajun's collection is admirable, no-one can extrapolate a trend from a single instance, whereas in the existence of services like Crunchyroll we have a better evidential basis to argue from.

Of course, the likelihood of many posts being based on stream or disc rips without having a subscription or an original copy is very high, but as per above, burden of proof and all that.

ManGAF is a completely different story, alas.

I know it didnt do much but it was funny to throw those pics out there as an example that some people DO still support the anime disc/figurine industry. If it even for a moment gives him pause then it served its purpose.
Its a lot easier to defend anime watching now though since all the streaming site companies have appeared and made it affordable and more mainstream.

Vylash

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! 03

ib2H2HHRmUtBVr.gif
ibnoR4yWxlIN64.gif

Apparently Shiro doesn't even need to be the protagonist to get his own harem, everybody wants him. Also mana recovery, so much mana recovery, Kuro Illya stealing so many first kisses.

cajunator

Banned
I am not exactly sure if that is saving honor in the grand scheme of things.

Im sure it isnt but its fun to thumb your nose at silly people sometimes.

Maybe, but every bit of personal honour is important. Look how nice cajun is. With his honour he is the Eddard Stark of AnimeGAF. He will change Off-Topic to good.

I also saved our honour. Someone even made a cute avatar out of me :3Yes, I would pay to visit cajuns room.

If/when I get my own place and set up everything the way I truly want it, its gonna be so glorious.

BtOSjsNIIAAiTf2.jpg

hello kitty gets 2real about necklaces

Kitty dont play...

Type moon IN MY VEINS

So, if I found the characters in the love live mobile game to be completely boring, would the anime be worth watching?

Thinking of giving an idol series a go, but dunno what to watch. Though I don't actually like idol culture that much.

100,000 otaku cant be wrong!

I'll stick with my argument that inferno cop is just anime robot chicken humor. Like how ridiculous can we get in each short episode.

It is but I like that. However it got old quickly.

You said you already saw Valvrave, right?
L-Elf doesn't die! I mean, except of old age during the timeskip, presumably, but I don't think that's what you meant.

But Haruto was the one with the special power. And by that type if show, I meant people taking over the world or trying to become god.

Chariot

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! 03

Apparently Shiro doesn't even need to be the protagonist to get his own harem, everybody wants him. Also mana recovery, so much mana recovery, Kuro Illya stealing so many first kisses.
I somehow feel motivated to watch the episode immediately.

Is log horizon season 2 autumn or winter?
Fall, according to anichart.
(Fall sounds so much better than Autumn)

YamiHat 13

We follow Hazuki again and see and alternative reality/dream where things work out differently with Hatsumi. More pancakes too.

The narrator explains some stuff and we get to know which is the real world. Or do we...

Oh, and the hat was the narrator. Makes sense.

It's... actually not that bad? Yeah, ok, since we're hopping through so many stories you don't really get to know most of the characters, the camera and weird light shining stuff is utterly bizzarre in some episodes. The comedy doesn't really work and neither does the tragedy. There's also stuff that just seems to be thrown into the story with no reason at all.

The OP is ok (kinda generic VN/eroge sounding though), the rest of the music ranges from sounding like ripoffs of classical music to just plain weird.

But it's still watchable for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's good, just interesting enough to not be boring. And it got Kikuko Inoue voicing a character, so some bonus points for that.

3/5 bookworlds:
ncvjAwq.png
ncvjAwq.png
ncvjAwq.png
73wH1eA.png
73wH1eA.png

sonicmj1

Don't talk shit about cajun-sama, even if it is my own shit!

And seriously, I think cajun truly enjoys what he does. I hope you read my text and not only the examples. :,<

I guess I'd just be repeating what others said at this point, but saying that people watch certain shows just for the sake of appearances is a pretty broad generalization to make without naming names.

Anime can be enjoyable, stimulating, and fun in all sorts of ways. I'm sure some of the shows you find fun wouldn't be fun to me, and some of the things I find fun aren't fun for you. Calling out (some? most? all?) fans of a certain class of show for being insincere about their appreciation seems weird to me. What makes you think that?

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 5

Info dump episode. So basically, all sorts of extraterrestrial and supernatural entities are keeping eyes on Haruhi, and Kyon has to keep her entertained in the meantime so that she doesn't get upset and possibly wreak havoc on the world.

But if Haruhi can basically will her desires to become true, why did she keep getting upset with the straw drawing results? Couldn't she just have willed herself to look for oddities and mysteries with Kyon?

TUSR

Banned

Info dump episode. So basically, all sorts of extraterrestrial and supernatural entities are keeping eyes on Haruhi, and Kyon has to keep her entertained in the meantime so that she doesn't get upset and possibly wreak havoc on the world.

But if Haruhi can basically will her desires to become true, why did she keep getting upset with the straw drawing results? Couldn't she just have willed herself to look for oddities and mysteries with Kyon?

2tsundere

I had a Naruto dream where it was back in the good days of Hash Rama and Madras goofing off. Then one day, Madras found love with a pink haired woman.

They did the Diddy but broke up later on. Years later she found a new love in which they become Sakura's parents. They tried the Diddy, but for some reason, Madara's genes still remained onside the woman, so it killed the other dudes genes, and so, the twist revealed Madara was her father.

And reading that, I went insane at the Shit Kisha was doing then I woke up

TUSR

Banned
I had a Naruto dream where it was back in the good days of Hash Rama and Madras goofing off. Then one day, Madras found love with a pink haired woman.

They did the Diddy but broke up later on. Years later she found a new love in which they become Sakura's parents. They tried the Diddy, but for some reason, Madara's genes still remained onside the woman, so it killed the other dudes genes, and so, the twist revealed Madara was her father.

dude

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

That's because the story is really about about the conflict between the id, the ego and the superego.

2deep4u

cajunator

Banned
If people are believing Trigger is saving anime with scantily clad henshin uniforms and nudists then I don't want to take part in anime anymore.

Anime has been doing that for many years.
Its as safe as its gonna get. and as not work safe.

I never watched the third Madoka movies last night,

was still recovering from the show.

Weather is shit here tonight, might watch S1 of Date A Live.

This is a marvelous idea!

So its finally time to start Fate/Zero

This is a similarly marvelous idea.

Mahouka Episode 17 preview

http://youtu.be/vRJl1BAtE18

Welp someone got wreaked.

I love how these always start with thirsty Miyuki.

I just want to be nearer to cajun-sama. <3
Nearer than you at least >:I

Eeh. I stay whelmed. I am not wanting to get excited about a F/SN adaption, it most likely ends in tears. If it's actually good, than fine. Until then, I stay put.

its like I have a harem or something ^o^

as a watcher of elitist anime™, i make sure to avoid any and all sorts of fun in my animewatch sessions, to ensure the most elitist experience possible

but you watched Ultimate Girls! Is that elite?

Oh hey, Theonik isn't banned any more.

He might not return though.

I've seen SE:Lain, Haibane Renmei and Mushishi from that short list, and yeah, they're solid 10's in my book. SE:Lain is definitely the most abstract/unconventional among the others, but they're just solid and very enjoyable titles with amazing atmosphere and good storytelling.

I'll add Mindgame to that list. It's a brilliant movie that also falls victim to 'elitist fans', though not widespread because it's still hardly known.

Tekkon Kinkreet maybe? It's by the same studio but not nearly as strong a movie.

Also can't forget Satoshi Kon's works like Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers.

I should probably check out the other two. Ergo Proxy's designs just completely turned me off back in the day, and I know absolutely nothing about Kino's Journey.

Tenten? Hokage?

Naruto has changed (hasn't seen anime past the initial Chuunin exams and read up to the start of Shippuden).

All of the above are great choices really. Some people here dont seem to like Mindgame but I have watched it several times already. I suppose its a bit of a wankfest for the director but its really fun to watch.

Heh.

Saying stuff like "I like fun the most". Well, surprise surprise, everybody likes fun. Problem is, not everyone agrees what it's fun. It happens to be subjective. What you could call fun, it's for other person something between boring, embarrassing and stupid. And the other way around, of course.

And believing that people out there watch series for prestige or to feel superior... lol. Or maybe, just maybe, they like said series because they like the characters, the plot, the way they are told, the emotions they provoke, whatever. I'm not saying that people like that doesn't exist, but I think they are much less numerous than you may believe.

And Hamlet rocks.

I will watch whatever makes me squee. If its serious or just fun nonsense depends on my mood but I find room for both. I dont think people are strange or wrong for liking things, even if I hate those things. People are just different. thats why variety exists in the first place!

Love Lab 1
Skipped on this when it first aired so, since I've got some time, I picked it up again. It's a bit funny and in some ways cute though it isn't that good so far.

I like the chemistry between the two girls but if you havent latched onto the humor already you might not like it.

YamiHat 13

We follow Hazuki again and see and alternative reality/dream where things work out differently with Hatsumi. More pancakes too.

The narrator explains some stuff and we get to know which is the real world. Or do we...

Oh, and the hat was the narrator. Makes sense.

It's... actually not that bad? Yeah, ok, since we're hopping through so many stories you don't really get to know most of the characters, the camera and weird light shining stuff is utterly bizzarre in some episodes. The comedy doesn't really work and neither does the tragedy. There's also stuff that just seems to be thrown into the story with no reason at all.

The OP is ok (kinda generic VN/eroge sounding though), the rest of the music ranges from sounding like ripoffs of classical music to just plain weird.

But it's still watchable for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's good, just interesting enough to not be boring. And it got Kikuko Inoue voicing a character, so some bonus points for that.

3/5 bookworlds:
ncvjAwq.png
ncvjAwq.png
ncvjAwq.png
73wH1eA.png
73wH1eA.png

I rated it a masterpiece/10. Syrinx graded it Elephant Oatmeal/10. I think it kind of defies a score really.

Is there a way to accept through a phone? Every time I go to the profile menu, it just clicks and takes me to my profile.

Im not sure. I know that MAL looks pretty bad on mobile though.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 6

Itsuki is kinda fucked up if he brought Haruhi and the others to a deserted island knowing that Haruhi's imagination and will could cause something like that to happen. Kyon also seems very distrustful of him at this point, so something must have happened.

Chariot

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2zwei 03

This episode was super funny and cute.

jbk88LEAGPZWQO.png

I love Illyas face here.

Fucking Shiro. Density a block of Ichika and Haremmaker Noble Phantasm.

I guess I'd just be repeating what others said at this point, but saying that people watch certain shows just for the sake of appearances is a pretty broad generalization to make without naming names.

Anime can be enjoyable, stimulating, and fun in all sorts of ways. I'm sure some of the shows you find fun wouldn't be fun to me, and some of the things I find fun aren't fun for you. Calling out (some? most? all?) fans of a certain class of show for being insincere about their appreciation seems weird to me. What makes you think that?
I didn't call out all fans of a certain class... I think. That would imply that there are actual classes. I classified people. Which is maybe bad for itself, but it's something different. And as I said, I made my experience mostly in the german realm. So names or links I still can pull out won't help much. So you have to trust for now what I am just telling.

Let's get back shortly to classifying people. It's of course a mean thing to sort people into classes or categories since everyone is an individual, but it's possible to abstract certain elements to have categorize to work with. For example on the gaming side the distinction of casual gamer and hardcore gamer. It's something to work with.

Elitist is a positive term in itself. An elite is something special. A small group of people who are special in a way from other people who are not elite. But as the term is used (clarification: as I use the term) it's somewhat ironic in the use. That's why my use of the term is negative and doesn't refer to actual elitists, but fake-elitists.

Now, I am still not at answering the actual question, but please bear with me. People don't just consume media for personal satisfaction through the media itself. There are obvious events like being assigned to consume the media through work or school or needing to consume it to understand the truly desired media (I actually read Faust II while watching Madoka to make wild theories [that turned all out to be wrong]).

And then there are less direct forces that brings someone to consume a typ of media without the satisfaction of watching the media being the true desired satisfaction. That can be for example the will to be one of the one who know. Like watching anime classics, despite not liking theme, so one can join discussions.

And then there is of course the wish for greatness, to stand above others. Never heard anyone brag with any kind of medium or to be exact knowledge of a medium? "As it turned out Nietzsche has written exactly what I thought all the time", "What? You didn't know Carl Orff's masterpiece?", "You really don't know what this word mean, heh.", "I am not a dumb Call of Duty player, I only play mature games.". A bit of smug, a bit of faked triviality, a bit trying to look down on people.

And now we almost arrived at anime. I started watching anime when I was a grade schooler and enjoyed the kids anime on television and continued to watch and read anime and manga. But it was not until 2009, when I saw a german blog that trashed Angel Beats when I started to actively express my opinion on anime in the internet and looking actively on the opinion of others. I made my travel through german anime- and hentaiforums, an animechat and was about two years part of a connection of german blogs. Those are most of my references, since I aside from a few shows not actually engaged much in the talks on MAL.

So I met with certainty people who looked down upon those who didn't watch intelligent and different shows. It's the kind of people who throw around with scientific terms just for the heck of it. The kind of people who absorb opinions of others as their own. That take conclusions others made without understanding the reasoning. It's the kind of people whom you ask what they liked about Lain and their only answer is to repeat and repeat that is very deep and intelligent.

Let me empathize again, that I am talking about the "fake". There are a lot people who are "true", who actually like shows for their own reasons and explain it fine. In this thread there are a lot of nice long posts about intelligent anime that shows the understanding of show and it's merits by the posting user.

In short: the difference between a true elitist and an a fake one is that the "true" watches a show and enjoy it on his own accord. Maybe because he has fun with it or maybe because he loves specific aspects like the Shinkais backgrounds, the philosophical message or the screen composition. The "fake" will watch a show because he wants others to know that he watched the show. He or she will copy the praise of others and copy opinions as his own, instead of forming it him- or herself.

When I'm calling an anime "elitist anime", than it's not an insult to the anime itself. If anything it's a kind of weird praise. What I want to say with that is that said anime is an easy bait for fake elitist who want to be as smart as the "true" elitists, who started to make the show an desirable target in the first place.

Sorry, if my wording get's repetitive. At times like this, where I actually have to write longer texts, my lack of refined english is really showing. I am also aware, that I am kind of a hypocrite since presuming that one is able to write a text about classifying people isn't humble. Not even talking about my lack of language here, I don't think I am smart enough to do something like that and should've never wrote my original post to begin with, but it's something that humps my brain a few years already and it is what I think. So I am trying to explain it and you're free to criticize or ignore it, don't hold back on either, it's just my opinion which was wrong a lot of time in the past and will a lot of times in the future.

Midonin

Gosick 13-15

The solution to this mystery hinged on something that's... well, kinda racist (
"A young African man would never have been spotted in the night!"
), but this is a period piece, and Victorique bonded
with Leviathan
on a spiritual level, so it's hardly enough to hamper the entire arc. Loved seeing Avril get a bigger part. She's undoubtedly curious, and a nice foil to Victorique. Has plenty of emotions and plenty of passion, but doesn't really know how to piece a case together, immediately jumping to "I don't know, therefore ghosts."

Still wondering what the deal with this Roscoe fellow is. This show's got a nice atmosphere going for it, and the new ED is pretty good, too. Some of the other little gags during the mystery amused me, like Victorique not being tall enough to take off the mask or Grevil's 'do being swarmed by bees. The overarching storyline has been moving slowly, though Victorique's growth as a person is becoming much more pronounced. She's still a bit aloof, but now the rest of her classmates are aware she exists. It's a small step forward.

Chariot

Corvo is actually good at this. I'm not.
I like your reviews.

I call hax. YuuYuu wouldn't have a food lacking dream.

it's actually because Haruhi is shit ( &#8790;&#8255;&#8790;)
I would fight you, if I didn't just exhaust all my vocabulary, so I just send you to filipino prison.

its like I have a harem or something ^o^
I actual want you for my possible future harem.
i just wanna hug all of you cute little elitists
:<
I think I am going to rewatch my favorite Superman movie now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom