• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vylash

Well, that doesn't sell me on Kill la Kill at all. Someone post impressive GIFs/webms.

iUIMSFrxBgbc4.gif
iOdV6FCRvz48c.gif

Mature

Well, that doesn't sell me on Kill la Kill at all. Someone post impressive GIFs/webms.
I don't dislike Kill la Kill. I even think the show is pretty good, but it doesn't speak to the quality of the staff's potential or even what they've done in the past. With that in mind, it's a bit disappointing at the end of the day.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 9

Your jacket has a hood, dude. Use it.

Kinda funny how Haruhi sent Kyon on that errand so she could play dress-up with Mikuru and presumably start shooting the sequel.

Barakamon 01-03

When I think of rural anime, the first point of comparison that comes to mind is Non Non Biyori, though outside of the rough sketches of their premise, they don't really have much in common. Naru's pretty cute, and I'm also a fan of Tama. Anyone who engages in the creative arts is a favorite character of mine, and it's another chance for Rumi Okubo to do her manic voice. The show's overall well produced, and I can see why it has a lot of appeal, very pleasant to watch, but I don't think I'd place it among my favorite shows of the season. It's not among the worst, either.

Glad Funi finally got it up. Now they need to release Jinsei at some point, we know they have it.

What are your favorite shows this season?

Quasar

So here's a question. At the recent Crunchyroll AMA, the CEO said they make an offer for every show (which I guess means every non kiddy show), yet still some shows fall through the not licensed hole, such as Yozakura Quartet. Which I guess means the content owners just refused to license the show at all.

Now given probably 99% of other shows get licensed for streaming in the west it is a curiosity that some content owners aren't interested in streaming moneys. Its not like disc sales for the show will be somehow better in the west because of it.

mankoto

Free ES 4
Was distracted a bit watching this but I don't think I missed anything important. The parts I did catch were fun

So here's a question. At the recent Crunchyroll AMA, the CEO said they make an offer for every show (which I guess means every non kiddy show), yet still some shows fall through the not licensed hole, such as Yozakura Quartet. Which I guess means the content owners just refused to license the show at all.

Now given probably 99% of other shows get licensed for streaming in the west it is a curiosity that some content owners aren't interested in streaming moneys. Its not like disc sales for the show will be somehow better in the west because of it.

There are just some things that can't be helped honestly since it's like this with games as well. There are some devs that actually don't want their game to be localized. Shame really

wonzo

Banned

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 10

Had a feeling that girl wasn't a human but that was pretty fucked up right there.

Mikuru from even further in the future comes and gives Kyon an ominous premonition. "Snow White". For now I'll assume it means "Don't eat the fucking apple".

Some of the shows have international rights held by companies who don't want to stream or have a member of the committee who don't know about international streaming (it's somewhat of a weird concept to some older businessmen). It's not about disc sales, but just who holds rights and such. Hell, even Warner Home Video Japan started licensing to the West earlier this year with JoJo and perhaps Ben-to. It's not about disc sales, but just not understanding the concept/money.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 9

Your jacket has a hood, dude. Use it.

Kinda funny how Haruhi sent Kyon on that errand so she could play dress-up with Mikuru and presumably start shooting the sequel.

There's an interesting tale behind this episode. It's the only anime-original episode in the series and the script was actually written by Nagaru Tanigawa, the author of the light novels. You can also blame Yamakan for the 3 minutes of Yuki. He says in an interview "Yuki's always waiting, so I wanted the fans to experience what she felt."

Clov

Some companies just don't care I guess. Maybe they don't get a lot of money from streaming over here, so the few companies that refuse don't think it's worth the effort. Or maybe they just don't understand streaming in the first place. Could be a number of things.

Vylash

Happiness Charge Precure 25

i6CHy3nzQk6w6.gif
iPU1hoAsqiHg1.gif

So much NTR happening everywhere, and 2 girls falling for someone they have no chance with. My god I ship Hime and Seiji so hard, so of course they get an episode alone next time, he'd better not break her heart.

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 3
Who was on the phone? Why did Honey revert back to that of a toddler? Why didn't Art
take his minimum?

Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

Happiness Charge Precure 25

http://i.minus.com/i6CHy3nzQk6w6.gif[IMG][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iPU1hoAsqiHg1.gif[IMG]

So much NTR happening everywhere, and 2 girls falling for someone they have no chance with. My god I ship Hime and Seiji so hard, so of course they get an episode alone next time, he'd better not break her heart.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qWcMDD9l.jpg

The face that loves this drama coming on.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 11

Mfjkdnfksdnknfkkffkdsaalljekfkfkakfdkfasnnd[onnanrb janj dpae [new JE WW

(my attempt at hammering away at the keyboard like Yuki)

Kinda fun. Liked Mikuru being clueless during the game. Would be me playing Dota.

besada

Banned
Good evening all! If you haven't seen it yet, make sure you find a Those Deaf Mutes post so you can enjoy the lovely work of our own InfiniteNine as his new anime avatar.

Secondly, it's time to play "Guess that obscure piece of anime art someone found in a storage box" again! This weeks cel might be a little easier, given that it has a character in it. It also looks 4:3 to me.

x9oASaS.jpg

TUSR

Banned
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 11

Mfjkdnfksdnknfkkffkdsaalljekfkfkakfdkfasnnd[onnanrb janj dpae [new JE WW

(my attempt at hammering away at the keyboard like Yuki)

Kinda fun. Liked Mikuru being clueless during the game. Would be me playing Dota.

: )

Eureka Seven - 36

At last, some more info on Renton's sister!

In fact, it's been a long time since since Renton mentioned her in his thoughts when he was talking to himself IIRC. I like that. It's showing just how big of an influence Eureka has on him. His sister now seems like an afterthought to him compared to Eureka at this point.

Narag

Maybe it's because I never read the manga but I actually really liked The Flowers of Evil's rotoscoping. Made the characters surprisingly expressive at times.

That's how I felt. There's a lot to like about that production beyond the character's apperances.

Clov

Maybe it's because I never read the manga but I actually really liked The Flowers of Evil's rotoscoping. Made the characters surprisingly expressive at times.

I did too. It could get pretty rough at times (like those long shots where they have no faces), but most of the time it only helped the creepy atmosphere that the show built up. There was just something so off about the characters, that it increased the dread I felt. Very unique style, and it suited the anime perfectly. I really wish we'd get a second season.

Gazoinks

I did, too. The body language is good, and the uncanny valley adds to the general uncomfortableness of the show. Latter effect was probably not on purpose, but it's still there. :p

jgminto

Was there ever a comparison of the bluray and the TV version? I had a few problems with the rotoscoping, mostly the draw distance on facial features and heard the BD version was improved.

sonicmj1

Agreed. Having to trace over actual human actors meant that the characters' expressions and body language felt more realistic than your average anime production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom