• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Why not just let Mr. Nagahama & Co. do whatever they want? We are talking about a staff with background on animation production assigned the always graceful opportunity to do an animation production, but with a margin to do it in a particular way they wanted to explore. It is always interesting trying to play with the methods and the expectations of people:

http://animediet.net/conventions/transcript-hiroshi-nagahama-aku-no-hana-director-animazement-panel

They first and foremost do and will do animation, and whichever method they employ to accomplish it is their way of playing with the medium... their own medium.
Oh, of course I won't tell Mr. Nagahama what to do. I don't think he likes me anyway.
I can see that he thought about it, but I still don't like the look of it and think that an actual live action would've been better.
Time to step up your game. Now give us the different uguu sounds that we always wanted!

Blusby

I can see that he thought about it, but I still don't like the look of it and think that an actual live action would've been better.

Oh come on man, surely you can appreciate this unique style:

xxW36Jc.gif

Ano Natsu de Matteru 1-6: Really digging this so far, cool cast, nice ED, and relaxin' atmosphere.

phaze

Toradora 22-23

Man those are some somber episodes.
Minorin x Ryuji just went down the drain seemingly.
They've done a great job at making the whole cast likable and hmmm human, so to speak. No matter what ending they'll go for and who'll eventually win, I'll feel sad for the rest of characters who didn't get what they desired.

Ryuji should just clone himself to make every member of his harem happy.

I see where you coming from one wrong does not make another right, but what I wanted to say is that KLK is just that kind of show. It's not taking it or anything it does serious (and I am pretty sure that it at some point didn't even know what it was doing).
But please let me know what exactly don't like about male fanservice played for laughs in general. Is it that any fanservice shouldn't played for laughs or that there is too few male fanservice in relation to the bulk of female? Are we talking gender inequality here or joking around with sexuality?
It's not a big pet peeve of mine or anything. In the context of something aimed primarily at an audience of straight men, flamboyant sexual imagery of a man is often used to play off of homophobia and make that audience uncomfortable and/or laugh. Not to say that such an effect can't be potentially used for a good purpose but that is usually not the case. It's a casual reinforcement that such displays of masculine sexuality is the domain of gay men or otherwise not normal.

Edit: Connection goofed up. Made a few edits.

Chariot

Oh come on man, surely you can appreciate this unique style:

xxW36Jc.gif
God, I love these exploits.

In the context of something aimed primarily at an audience of straight men, flamboyant sexual imagery of a man is often used to play off of homophobia and make that audience uncomfortable or otherwise laugh. Not to say that such an effect can't be potentially used for a good purpose but that is usually not the case. It's a casual reinforcement that such displays of masculine sexuality is the domain of gay men.
Fair enough.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yet the teacher looks like he's constantly sexually harassing Ryuko, which brings on a whole other set of problems, but I really don't think it's trying to play off homosexuality for laughs there.

Yet the teacher looks like he's constantly sexually harassing Ryuko, which brings on a whole other set of problems, but I really don't think it's trying to play off homosexuality for laughs there.
You'd have a point if he wasn't doing it to everyone he meets.

Is Mako's mother sexually harassing him when she suddenly took GREAT interest in his antics in the later episodes when he started doing that?

fertygo

Gatchaman Crowds have very cool Gay character in OD Berg-Katze IMO, although their look and gimmick is still stereotypical.. but I like their role is bigger than just comedic relief, Berg-Katze especially is very outstanding villain.

Antiwhippy

You'd have a point if he wasn't doing it to everyone he meets.

Is Mako's mother sexually harassing him when she suddenly took GREAT interest in his antics in the later episodes when he started doing that?

Wouldn't the point still stand because why would a gay man sexually harass a girl? :p

Chariot

I don't think homosexuality is the problem that femmesworth has with Mikitsugu and cahracters like him. But speaking of homosexual characters, the cliche representation of them is painful. If they're not drag queens, they at least want to hump any man.

Of course there are exceptions, but I think general view of homosexuals is pretty... tainted.

jgminto

But speaking of homosexual characters, the cliche representation of them is painful. If they're not drag queens, they at least want to hump any man.

Of course there are exceptions, but I think general view of homosexuals is pretty... tainted.

The most common homosexual character I see in anime is the "muscle-bound/overweight man in drag" which is also extremely insulting for trans people of course. Second is the effeminate pervert such as Leeron from TTGL. After that...I can't really say because there are so few. I don't think there's ever been a male gay or bi character I've been totally happy with.

Chariot

The most common homosexual character I see in anime is the "muscle-bound/overweight man in drag" which is also extremely insulting for trans people of course. Second is the effeminate pervert such as Leeron from TTGL. After that...I can't really say because there are so few. I don't think there's ever been a male gay or bi character I've been totally happy with.
I really liked Hato in Genshiken Nidaime. The whole show was really about him struggling with his sexual identity and the acceptance of others of his crossdressing.

Kuranosuke from Princess Jellyfish was pretty likable too and not in the usual clichee's, he wasn't homosexual, just a crossdresser, but I think that is deviant enough to be relevant for this topic.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 1

Ugh, I don't know if I can stomach a whole series with this style of animation. The low frame rate seriously gives me a headache. It's like a video game running on inadequate hardware. The writing certainly isn't encouraging me to continue. Not offensively bad but kind of laughable, with some really awkward exposition and poor pacing. The whole bit with the transgender character was a head scratcher and naturally I'm worried where they are going with it. (I saw some of firehawk's comments on it.)
Gatchaman Crowds have very cool Gay character in OD Berg-Katze IMO, although their look and gimmick is still stereotypical.. but I like their role is bigger than just comedic relief, Berg-Katze especially is very outstanding villain.
That's good, I was kind of worried. Though my opinion might differ to a degree when I get around to watching it.

Chariot

Not even Kanji Tatsumi or Fate/Zero's Rider?
Kanji is camp gay, but I think the offical line is that it's for the player to decide what's his sexuality is. And honestly I think he has good chemistry with
Naoto.

And I can't remember Rider being homosexual. Then again, the king just do as he pleases, so why not.

Antiwhippy

Masumi from nodame cantabile was essentially a flamboyant gay man acting as comic relief, but I thought that he turned into a pretty cool character by the end.

The culture of Japan as a whole means we'll very, very rarely see a normal, everyday character that just so happens to be gay. The sexuality of the token homosexual character will almost always be his or her defining trait. They'll never have a romantic relationship that's not played for comedic value, they'll always be seen as an outsider or a pervert, and they almost always will bear the brunt of abuse from all the other characters their interact with.

It's not going to change any time soon until Japanese culture regarding homosexuality in it's pop culture changes. But then again, really, it's not that much different than how cartoons and sitcoms portray homosexuality in America and the rest of the world, as well. It's a HUGE problem in entertainment.

Chariot

The culture of Japan as a whole means we'll very, very rarely see a normal, everyday character that just so happens to be gay. The sexuality of the token homosexual character will almost always be his or her defining trait. They'll never have a romantic relationship that's not played for comedic value, they'll always be seen as an outsider or a pervert, and they almost always will bear the brunt of abuse from all the other characters their interact with.

It's not going to change any time soon until Japanese culture regarding homosexuality in it's pop culture changes. But then again, really, it's not that much different than how cartoons and sitcoms portray homosexuality in America and the rest of the world, as well. It's a HUGE problem in entertainment.
While I agree with you on the grand scheme, I think that Genshiken Nidaime handled it acceptable.

Quasar

I'm not sure I really believe that. I think there quite a bit of manga where thats not true. Even in anime there's a fair amount of same sex relationships that aren't played that way.

Admittedly the treatment of the ladies is very different from the guys in that respect.

Chariot

I'm not sure I really believe that. I think there quite a bit of manga where thats not true. Even in anime there's a fair amount of same sex relationships that aren't played that way.
Should we say male homosexual relationship? As so often lesbians have the better end of the stick, compared to homosexual men. There is something about dicks that disturbs people.
Haven't watched Fate/Zero.
He isn't really canocally homosexual. It's a valid interpretation, but that's reaching. He is - for me at least- just a bro.

jgminto

Not even Rider from Fate/Zero?

Haven't watched Fate/Zero.

Should we say male homosexual relationship? As so often lesbians have the better end of the stick, compared to homosexual men. There is something about dicks that disturbs people.

The problem with yuri is that I feel it's usually written and animated to titillate straight male viewers instead of showing a lesbian romance. I'm sure that's not always the case but that's the feeling I get when I usually see those characters.

Antiwhippy

I wouldn't say that western works have evolved to the point where sexuality is incidental or that the default isn't straight cis-gendered.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
aku no hana anime art > aku no hana manga art
I'm okay with the way Aku no Hana looks in its anime form, but I don't think it would even be able to translate the manga's last chapter very well. I guess that'll never be an issue though.

jgminto

I don't think that's necessarily true with BL becoming a profitable and more mainstream thing. While the audience is primarily women, it provides representations that are better than simple joke characters. I'm still usually not 100% okay with the representations but they're generally positive.

I'm still not sure if the BL genre will actually finally start gaining some form of legitimacy or not. Yeah the VN's are selling better but there've been very few straight up positive representations of the genre in mainstream anime and manga. But, this is all just personal opinion stemming from 30 hours on no sleep, and I tried to stress the almost part because it's the norm but it's not without it's exceptions, of course. Plus the BL genre itself has some issues with it's representation of sexuality but, it's at least making an attempt and usually does pretty well at being diverse.

So with that I think I'll start watching a new series. Not sure what though. Maybe a sports anime, always love those.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wouldn't say that western works have evolved to the point where sexuality is incidental or that the default isn't straight cis-gendered.

In the UK we currently have an insurance ad fronted by meercats that gives off vibes that they are indeed a gay couple but they never ever say anything about it. In does seem that we are slowly getting to the point where we can just have a homosexual relationship on screen without really making a song and dance about it, even if we have to start with meercats with silly accents.

Antiwhippy

It's not that compare the meerkats ad is it? Never got that vibe from it, but I guess I didn't see the one where there's a couple.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not that compare the meerkats ad is it? Never got that vibe from it, but I guess I didn't see the one where there's a couple.

Yes and they now have a baby. Yeah, I know they have a whole family of meercats for the free toy when you signup incentive but you never see them in the ads, so they honestly come off as a couple. Alexander even says to Sergei at the end of their latest ad, about the baby, "he take after your side of the family" which is the kind of thing only parents would say about their child (I realise this brings up the questions of how they had a child, but I won't get into that).

Like I said, if they are a couple they don't make a big deal about it which is how gay relationships should be treated in the future. They should just be there.

Hidamari Sketch - 01

Eh... meh. This episode did pretty much nothing for me. Maybe I'm just resistant to their cute wide-face wiles but it was also simply boring.

Does this pick up at some point or is it going to be pretty much the same? In the latter case I'm probably not gonna keep going.

Hidamari Sketch - 01

Eh... meh. This episode did pretty much nothing for me. Maybe I'm just resistant to their cute wide-face wiles but it was also simply boring.

Does this pick up at some point or is it going to be pretty much the same? In the latter case I'm probably not gonna keep going.

I thought all of it was good, but others say it gets much better in S2.

JoeFu

Banned
I thought the first episode was kinda boring in Hidamari Sketch, but I think it's the type of show that grows on you the more you get to know the characters and stuff. Granted I've only watched like 4 episodes, I've enjoyed them all though.

Hidamari Sketch - 01

If you don't like it by the 2nd or 3rd episode, let it go. The quality is what improves from season 2 and onward, but the humor and atmosphere stay pretty much the same.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 2

Some really bad writing.
I can't believe they introduced and tried to flesh out a character minutes before killing them off.
I took some Tylenol so at least the animation didn't hurt so much this time. The first battle was pretty underwhelming and hard to follow. So far this is mediocre at best, if I'm being generous.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 2

Some really bad writing.
I can't believe they introduced and tried to flesh out a character minutes before killing them off.
I took some Tylenol so at least the animation didn't hurt so much this time. The first battle was pretty underwhelming and hard to follow.

The spoilered part is when I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. Dropped the anime at that point but read a bit more of the manga after that and noped the fuck out again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Knights of Sidonia Ep. 2

Some really bad writing.
I took some Tylenol so at least the animation didn't hurt so much this time. The first battle was pretty underwhelming and hard to follow. So far this is mediocre at best, if I'm being generous.

Ah the Bleach method of storytelling.

Alright thank for the replies.I'll probably go for the 3 episode rule then and make my decision.

Interesting that I just see Femmeworth take a go at Sidonia, am about to check that out too.

/XX/

Oh, of course I won't tell Mr. Nagahama what to do. I don't think he likes me anyway.
Sorry, I didn't want to come as confrontational as I did. It is just that, as this project was green-lighted as an animation series, arguing about any other kind of adaptation is just an afterthought made in spite on this work.

The strangeness is something that was wanted, and the kind of baggage and lessons earned from fusing these methods also brings experience well worth it in the future. An artist I appreciate a lot as is Yu Ueda (a.k.a. missacula) maybe expresses this better and from a better positioned background and perspective (in great part due to his multidisciplinary excellence, and because of that understands having differing options available):

Yuueda said:
In my opinion, unconventional practice in making Anime should be done more often. There are so many Anime series that are visually similar to each other because Japanese animators seems to be constrained by unspoken guidelines to gain Anime fans’ acceptance. An unorthodox piece does not always bring commercial success, however, the piece plays a role to give other animators the wider range of expressions. The series that have perfect mixtures of a tradition and experiment, such as Madoka Magika and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, are always influenced by more experimental pieces that are presented in the past.
http://raindropmoment.com/anime-series-made-entirely-with-roto-scoping-is-on-air/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Patlabor: The TV Series Episode 1

Indeed, I have selected the TV Continuity to begin the watching of the Patlabor franchise. Anyway, this was a pretty standard introduction episode getting us acquainted with this world, setting, cast and the insanity that is Izumi Not really much more to say really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom