• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

The only show I know for sure that I'll watch is the new season of Illya. Besides that I think this might be a backlog season for me.

cajunator

Banned
Ill watch SAO because in some small way I hate myself and Shinon is a cutie but otherwise I dont see anything really standout.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Spring Season did have a few gems like Ping Pong, Mushishi Season 2, Stardust Crusaders and maybe, allegedly No Game, No Life. A few sterling gems in an otherwise forgettable mess of a season that will not be missed.

cajunator

Banned
The Spring Season did have a few gems like Ping Pong, Mushishi Season 2, Stardust Crusaders and maybe, allegedly No Game, No Life. A few sterling gems in an otherwise forgettable mess of a season that will not be missed.

and chaika ^^
But NGNL wasnt "allegedly" good. It was legit awesome!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Isn't it because people often have a really good idea to start with (hence why they wrote it down in the first place) and it gains popularity so the publishers demand more so the writer has to come up with more despite not necessarily having any new good ideas so they just write whatever to appease the demand.

It's why in Britain many shows are so short because the writers have enough power to call it a day no matter the popularity.

Yeah, that one reason why the 1st novel is the best and/or offer good conclusion. If it's success, the publisher will ask the writer to write the continuation of it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
and chaika ^^
But NGNL wasnt "allegedly" good. It was legit awesome!

I have always found your rubrics a little suspect. Anyway, the point is this season was more about trash like Black Bullet, Captain Earth, Kawai Complex, Nanana, Mahoka and dozen other shows that probably will be forgotten by most by the time October comes around.

Lurky

I have always found your rubrics a little suspect. Anyway, the point is this season was more about trash like Black Bullet, Captain Earth, Kawai Complex, Nanana, Mahoka and dozen other shows that probably will be forgotten by most by the time October comes around.

He's not lying. Chaika was decent and NGNL was damned good.

Finalow

best OT.

iPgagg5wvQjyz.gif

Embrace the future of anime!
post-31458-Jim-Carrey-disgust-puke-gif-Du-5Lr8.gif

Chariot

But what about Gochuumon, Soredemo and Wixoss? (I didn't watch Wixoss, but friends of mine had hight praise for the show)

Narag

Sounds like every season

Clov

The fact that we had a new Yuasa show and a new season of Mushishi in the same season was enough to make me consider the season great. To me, each season usually only has one or two great shows anyway, so personally I loved the Spring season. Nothing else mattered.

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 12

I read a pretty great piece yesterday about the mass torture and murder of political dissidents in Argentina, so I was primed to think about that at first. But this episode actually reads as a metaphor for imperialism or post-WWII politics. The powerful nations fight their smaller proxy battles against the less-powerful "third world" masses. Is this unjust peace really better than a just war?

ibrKC3HnRjXt4I.jpg
ixHi6YopLYpY1.jpg

All the windows only start really high up from the ground, which says a lot in and of itself about the town.

The sound design in this episode was incredibly good. From the uncanny keening... something that lets you know something's wrong in this town, to the crack of the rifle shots in military drills, to the radio chatter during the war, to the kick of Kino's bike as she leaves, the sounds build and enhance the contrast between the peace this town values and the war it undertakes. Attention to detail in sound design is one of those things that you can't point to in a screenshot, but it can make a good show truly great just as much as strong visual direction can. Kino's Journey excels in both.

What a brutal episode. It's not even kind enough to make one side completely unsympathetic, or completely sympathetic.

Lurky

I still don't understand how this anime could land on rank 18 at MyAnimeList.
Rankings are not to be taken too seriously, but I found MAL's top 30 to be pretty nice until now :(

Well that list has haruhi on there so you shouldn't trust it in the first place.

/XX/

We were talking about Anime Expo, and people from here are confirmed to be there, but concurrently there is the Japan Expo in France too! Anyone is at it right now?

Kitarō Kōsaka's panel there is commencing in a few-minutes time (http://www.japan-expo-paris.com/en/programme/kitaro-kosaka---panel_143.htm), and I want to know his experiences in successfully searching for the last traces of competent mechanical animators (as Takashi Hashimoto also mentioned) to make them work in The Wind Rises. Stressful task for sure!

The mediocre/bad outnumbers the good in pretty much every season ever.

This is true, though I tend to think of it as the great, the good, the okay, and then the bad. Every season usually has something great to offer, I think.

I agree. Many anime viewers are too obsessed with watching everything, which leads to them getting upset when everything doesn't deliver.

Like has been said, Ping pong was the only good thing out of last season. All others are meh tier.

Mushishi, man. (And other stuff but mostly Mushishi.)

jman2050

K-On sucks.

My number one question for this season is whether Sailor Moon will be more disappointing than how terrible SAO2 is.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh, the things I miss when I'm trying to sleep.

So of this season's new shows, I'll be watching Akame ga Kill!, Sailor Moon: Crystal, Sabagebu!, and SAO2.

Lurky

At least I didn't get the blurays. There are maybe a handful of anime series I want blurays of.

Still waiting for Nodame Cantabile DVDs, guys!

The prices for anime blu-ray are ridiculous. That said, I only have a few shows that I'd consider buying on blu-ray as well. Two of them are on sale on amazon right now and I'm really tempted.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haruhi gets more and more mediocre with each rewatch. Why did I buy the DVDs?

Yeah, when I was new to anime and watched this it was awesome and I'd rewatch it quite a bit. Gave it another rewatch earlier this year and it's not quite as thrilling as I remember it. Not saying it is bad but probably not as good as I remember it. That scene when it's literally just a static camera looking down on Nagato reading for about five minutes... yeah...

Also I just recently finished the light novels and the lack of pay off is rather disappointing to say the least.

sasuke_91

Yeah, when I was new to anime and watched this it was awesome and I'd rewatch it quite a bit. Gave it another rewatch earlier this year and it's not quite as thrilling as I remember it. Not saying it is bad but probably not as good as I remember it. That scene when it's literally just a static camera looking down on Nagato reading for about five minutes... yeah...

Also I just recently finished the light novels and the lack of pay off is rather disappointing to say the least.

I only watched Haruhi once a few years ago. Both seasons were okay, but nothing really special. I found the movie to be great, but I don't really remember what made it great^^

Lurky

I only watched Haruhi once a few years ago. Both seasons were okay, but nothing really special. I found the movie to be great, but I don't really remember what made it great^^

From what I hear, it's because
Haruhi isn't in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom