• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Glasslip 01

I never had much of a strong impression of true tears. The reason I was interested in this one was largely for the glasswork aspects. There was a bit of those, but also drawing and some chickens. I was listening to the conversations regarding the free range chickens and how to protect them, and trying to look for stuff that might serve as subtext for what sort of things the show's trying to get at. Glad the show gave me the characters' names upfront, I need to start remembering who's who. Like with any PA Works show, it looks really good, and depending on how the chickens and the glassmaking end up supporting the themes of the romance - or maybe the other way around - it may be a pleasant little series. Definitely the lowest-key of the three Thursday shows I'm watching.

Firemind

If you just want 3 you can buy them in the normal individual releases for much less.
Also, do look into what Disney is releasing for 2014.

I don't know how to look for stuff that aren't part of theatrical releases of that year. I also don't follow anime news as much as I used to. Educate me, AnimeGAF.

Mecha

Must watch and is upset nobody is talking about it:

Terra Formars OVA 1

Will watch:

Sengoku Basara: Judge End

Might watch:

Nobunaga Concerto

TUSR

Banned
Oh yeah sengoku Basara. Anime saved

image.php

Link Man

Banned
First anime of the summer season for me:

Glasslip 1

Hmm, not sure what to make of this. It seemed to jump around a lot, and used still images a bit too much for my liking. At least it's well-drawn.

Glasslip 01

I'm glad to say this is not another Nagi no asukara

Oh wait,but this is another true tears
Another of the worst anime ever? Thank god I can stay away.
Terrible season. May just indulge in white people media like a firehawk.
You just go get prepared for Strike Witches 3 which will totally air next season unless Takamura only meant the OVAs airing in '14, in which case I am cry.

Acosta

New thread!

Pretend to see:

Barakamon looks interesting.
Tokyo Ghoul, I'm not much into horror, but I may give it a try.
Hanayamata looks something I would enjoy watching.
Sabagebu! for sure, I will try anything from the Love Lab director.
Zankyou no Terror seems a safe bet.
Aldnoah zero, why not? I still have to see Fate/Zero (and first I need to play Fate/Stay Night)
Rail wars, will give it a try.
SAO II, ohgod why I do this to myself.
Akagame no kill, for some reason it grabs my attention.
Pobably I will give a try to Persona 4 as I didn't watch the original.

And maybe I should catch on Space Dandy too, but first I would need to complete mushishi.

Sounds good!

Cg animation is so good in the west. Shame japan can't fucking do that. Even that how to train your Dragon tv show looks better.

Heck Kung fucking fu panda tv show looks better than anything japan has done outside of final fantasy films.

Theonik

You just go get prepared for Strike Witches 3 which will totally air next season unless Takamura only meant the OVAs airing in '14, in which case I am cry.
I second that sentiment. Though I don't know giving us a farewell to 501st in 2014 and then the all new 502nd anime in 2015 would be something I'm OK with but for FOR THE LOVE OF WALTRUDGOD GIVE US SOMETHING.

Summer Season looks nice and dandy with Tokyo Terror and Tokyo Ghoul, but my life will be complete if Gintama airs in the fall. Considering all the hints I hope it comes true though it could be a troll, I hope not. And if it does it will become AOTY believe it.

Yeah fall seems like the season of the year compared to summer and the others.

fertygo

Cg animation is so good in the west. Shame japan can't fucking do that. Even that how to train your Dragon tv show looks better.

Heck Kung fucking fu panda tv show looks better than anything japan has done outside of final fantasy films.

look at clone wars and come back to me.

/XX/

MARZA ANIMATION PLANET INC., has done great work and, although it is involved on high-budget films nowadays, I like this little gem from them specially:

Lupin III - Master File 3DCG - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXBU3bURWc

/XX/

Please tell me this is not a tease and will be a full project!
Sorry, but it was a short pilot made to "test the waters" of what a full 3DCGI Lupin the Third project would have looked like. It was included on one of those digital disc box sets full of old side-material from the franchise called 'Master File'.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CG animation is still animation. Don't discriminate.
Well the integration of the CG water with 2D animation is above average, but the actual CG water doesn't animate much or react well to bodies inside of it.

Also, even though most of the pools look the same consistency isn't its strong suit. The lane layouts are kind of amusing:

Hattori

Banned
Sorry, but it was a short pilot made to "test the waters" of what a full 3DCGI Lupin the Third project would have looked like. It was included on one of those digital disc box sets full of old side-material from the franchise called 'Master File'.
:(
If this is what the future of JPN CG looks like I could be down for it.

Oh hey, new thread. Time for list.

Def watch to end
Tokyo Ghoul
Watanabe's best show
Akame ga Kill
Tokyo ESP

Interested
Aldnoah.Zero
Dramatical Murder
Ai Mai Mi 2
Zankyou no Terror
Francesca

Watching for closure
Re Hamatora

Obligation watch
Sword Art Online 2

Pretty light season.

Mecha

Oh hey, new thread. Time for list.

Def watch to end
Tokyo Ghoul
Watanabe's best show
Akame ga Kill
Tokyo ESP

Interested
Aldnoah.Zero
Dramatical Murder
Ai Mai Mi 2
Zankyou no Terror
Francesca

Watching for closure
Re Hamatora

Obligation watch
Sword Art Online 2

Pretty light season.

I was thinking if one person would have the Terra Formars OVA on their list it would be you. [unneededspoilertag]sadface[/unneededspoilertag]

Ryuuroden

You leave Sidonia alone.

I ended up falling in love with that budget CG.

Yeah, animation isn't everything for a show to be great. There are plenty of shows with good animation that are unwatchable anyways due to being shit in every other more important category.

Kansoku

Watching:
Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo ESP
Sengoku Basara
God help SHAFT if they don't deliver Hanamonogatari

Maybe:
Zankyou no Terror

After it ends:
Psycho-Pass

If it doesn't suck:
Re:_Hamatora

Yeah, animation isn't everything for a show to be great. There are plenty of shows with good animation that are unwatchable anyways due to being shit in every other more important category.

Are we bashing Bones now?

But it's kind of interesting that Japan has way less problerms with CG than the western fanbase. Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Sidonia are pretty successful although both shows get a lot of hate because of the CG animations.

Midonin

My reactions to most of this weekend's shows will be late since I'm going to Supercon. But the weekend does have some good stuff.

Theonik

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 10-12
zxjlvf.png
ggdngc.png

Accurate representation of this stretch.
So the Emperor and Hanged Man were nice but I still preferred the OVA handling of the events better.
I'm not a terrible fan of the pacing in this. It certainly has its moments but that's what it feels like a collection of moments in an uninteresting patty. Part 2 on the other hand was fun all the way some atrocious production aside. Why couldn't part 2 have gotten the budget of this. It deserved it more. Koyasu Za Warudo when.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 13
xddmff.png
kwqrtk.png

A turn for the better?! The tsun goes dere!
See, this episode kinda sucked. In a universe with the chimp episode it just comes out underwhelming and just bad. Production values seem to have dipped lately too.
Can I have Koyasu Dio now?

Defuser

Glasslip ep 1
I have no idea what I'm watching. Something something chickens chickens chickens oh god I'm drowning in chickens.Oh and some glass blowing which somehow distracted me from watching this show and ended up on youtube watching some glassblowing videos.

I really dislike the use of still frames too often, the cliche big sweat drop and the chibi circle thing that pop up to represent other characters. This is rather disappointing for a director that directed true tears before.

And I never like a nano.ripe song.

New thread!

Pretend to see:

Barakamon looks interesting.

Some days ago I checked the manga, a few random chapters, to know what to expect of the anime, and goddamn that was... boring. Expect a very uneventful slice of life with some annoying kids running around.

Mecha

I didn't even look at the OVA list. Of course I'm watching that!

It for some reason isn't on the OVA list in the OP. I look forward to your posts in the OT, whenever I finish/post it. Also, should I ask before I use peoples reactions in the OT? I haven't made something like this before.

Acosta

No Game No Life [Finished]

A real fun run, it felt short and left in a high point, which is a bit of a downer because I wanted more! The one think I liked the most is that there seems to be a good chemistry between characters, with an amusing balance between seriousness and jokes. Beyond the excess of fanservice, you find this is a group of characters that work well witch each other and made me smile in many occasions. I also like most of the designs and feel the art is beautiful in its saturation, so I find it pleasant to watch.

Some high points for me:

The speech
7FJ9DUU.jpg

It was the high point of the series for me, it even felt a bit out of place, like it could work well in something way more serious than NGNL, but that's exactly why the series work for me.

My only complain about this is that the series it´s not really consistent regarding Sora's personality, it´s hard to think that a guy with supposed zero social skills can do that speech. This guy right here:

lWgOpFS.jpg

Some original games
sNuRzR5.jpg

Yes, we know Sora and Shiro are unbeatable because they are so awesome and bla, bla, bla. I didn't expect actual tension but I hoped for a nice execution, and I felt the series delivered on this. All the main games were enjoyable to watch and follow, with some real thought put on them.

Enjoyable characters
0o8iC4m.jpg

Excusing the fanservice, I felt every character had her moment to shine. Even poor Dora.

Jibril!

Seeing her drool at something new and unknown was always a highpoint of the series for me:

Jibril and Fil!

Ei8NipM.jpg

It was brief but glorious, the exchanges between Jibril and Fil were hilarious and I hope to see more from both in S2 (hopefully).

References

1yAEq1U.jpg

There is a sense of playfulness in all the series (duh) and I feel the ton of references added to that feeling.

So, yeah, a really enjoyable run. For main complains, as I have said before, the fanservice is way too excessive and I don't think I will ever understand the trope of "brothers that
are not really brothers and
love each other a lot" but I don't mind, it´s not the type of stuff that makes me value less my time with a series.

So:

Yes, it is.

(Note, If I have used too many images, I'm really sorry, I wanted to illustrate each point to make the post more entertaining. If it´s annoying just tell me and I will edit ASAP)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1:

Well now, aside from a few bumps in the first half, this looks like a rather interesting and also kind of refreshingly trashy series, Yes, I am eager to see where things go from where they left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom