• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

I finished it man
It just felt like I was missing something
Now that I've finished it, from what I can tell the plot is essentially
Kate is from another dimension and was chosen to take over the world. She starts off by "conquering" Goro's gang. Years pass and Zvezda becomes known and a threat to the Japanese government; specifically the governor of Tokyo. As such the governor contracts White Light to take care of them. Then that whole prophecy scene happens only to never be brought up again. The governor then takes matters into his own hands and ultimately fails causing Tokyo to be conquered by Kate. The series ends with them setting their sites on the USA. It is implied that Kate does infact conquer the world judging by how episode 1 opened.
There is also the melodrama regarding the old gang, but that's all I really got from watching it in one sitting.

cajunator

Banned
Just realised the time it took you to recover after seeing it in the fig Ot this morning.

Indeed it took a while.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

OH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, I don't even remember the last show that was as hilarious as it was adorable. Chiyo and Nozaki are both really good leads and play off of each other well and that certain Dogakobo flair makes the show even more entertaining. If manga reader's impressions are anything to go by then this show will easily remain one of my favorites this season.

Also Miyukichi's character is introduced next week, show of the forever.

Youre selling me on this show so well Zachy.

Nozaki-kun 1

Man the manga was hilarious, but the delivery of the VA's makes it 100x better. The bicycle and the cat scenes were freaking hilarious, so much better in anime form. God damn Nozaki kun I love you.

Like others said the OP is fucking amazing. I like it almost as much as Viva Namida, which is saying a lot. Cannot wait till the other characters are introduced. Which studio did this? It's so well done and crisp-looking. Like god damn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DRAMAtical Murder Episode 1:

Well, the show looks nice and has a color palette on par with No Game No Life. Otherwise, this seriously bored the shit out of me so badly I really nearly fell asleep at a few points. Yea, going to pass on the future episodes.

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder - 01

The third piece in the pile-of-shit hat trick of Bishonen shows this season. Why are these types of show so damn shallow and boring. Fetish-based shows just need to go extinct. It pisses me off that they can survive because of their loyal fans that keep buying the same masturbation material season after season!

What are you even talking about? DMMD takes its story pretty seriously. I don't even know where you got "fetish-based" from.

DRAMAtical Murder 1

w7i4WeW.png

"This might not be so bad. I mean sure it looks extremely :dtl but it might end up being the surprise of the season."

*watches episode*
*searches for google images of the episode to show GAF just how DTL it looks*
*sees the results google gives him for images*

McYnUJA.png

......dropped

excuse me as I bleach my eyes

You really think the erotic stuff is going to be anywhere in this show?

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - 01

Adorable as all get out. Love the OP and ED. The fact the Nozaki is a level above deadpan and MC(Chiyo) flies off in flights of fantasy about him actually got a few laughs out of me. So sticking with this one.

5GpyMBJ.jpg

mankoto

World Conquest Zvezda Plot 4-12 END

This was a real miss starting out (barring episode 3, that was gold) due to its initial episodic nature. But when the plot actually began to formulate and kick into gear it was actually really enjoyable. It's a shame they couldn't expand on the actual plot points a bit more, but that's alright. If anything the only real complaint I have when post episode 6 is that
Goro and Kaori get married. Specifically after Goro tells her to stop following in her sisters footsteps. Sure you can say Goro kissed right after he said that but it's still stupid.

Akame ga Kill! Episode 1:

So this series has been getting a bit of a buzz and reputation, presumably because it is an adaptation of a favored manga of some sort. Anyway, yea, calling this now, this a future member of Toonami, it is made out of that shonen stock that block seems to crave. Anyway, yes, this was dull on the outset but grew some semblance of a personality. Overall if I had to give this soup a flavor rating I would say light shade of Attack on Titan or extra strong Blue Exorcist. It isn't bad or anything but I don't see what the big deal is, well, maybe I do in some of ominous odors. I fear this series descending into using haremism spices and creme du Gary Stu but I suppose I shall have to wait and see how the broth cooks. Also, I should probably eat some lunch.

lol, you have NO idea what this series is.

So can people confirm: Akame ga Kill, more or less edgy than Tokyo Ghoul?

Based purely on the manga series, Ghoul doesn't even come close to AgK in the edge department despite being aimed at an older audience.

mankoto

As far as the DRAMAtical Murder goes,
I heard somewhere that in the VN the dog has its own route and at the end of it, it gets a humanoid body and you uh.. "Get together" if you know what I mean
I'm not touching that with a 6ft pole unless animeGAF says it's really good.

jgminto

I heard somewhere that in the VN the dog has its own route and at the end of it, it gets a humanoid body and you uh.. "Get together" if you know what I mean

It's a lot crazier than that actually, it's a pretty hilarious ending.

cajunator

Banned

wait a minute...

Chariot

Now I get why Woffington didn't like what he saw.

RangerBAD

The problem wasn't the exposition in of itself but rather it doesn't make sense in its placement. There are multiple issues with the exposition in the scene.

"Hey, guys, I'm going to randomly dump info on my friend here, who obviously has as great an understanding as I, while I drink scotch in a bar."

Jex

It refers to Gen Urobuchi, "bigshot" writer behind the scripts for fan favourites like Madoka, Fate/Zero and Gargantia. Also fan less favourites like Phantom, Blassreiter and (to an extent) Psycho-Pass.

In the case of Aldnoah Zero - which he wrote - it refers to big long stretches of ridiculous expository dialogue being delivered for the audience's benefit when the characters should already know all the things they're talking about.

With that said - would people prefer it if Aldnoah Zero was narrated at the start, or had some kind of text crawl to tell us what was going on? I believe that's supposed to be lazy screenwriting/directing but would it be less obnoxious than the info dumping from characters that should know better that we're getting?
Narration, in general, is pretty bad as is a text scrawl. They could have just settled for the stuff they mentioned on the bus, they didn't need to have like three other scenes of exposition in the same episode, like the bar, or the elevator, or the conversation between the knights or -

Or, you know, you organically write it into the story so that it comes up in a way that actually makes sense. But that takes actual effort.

RangerBAD

It refers to Gen Urobuchi, "bigshot" writer behind the scripts for fan favourites like Madoka, Fate/Zero and Gargantia. Also fan less favourites like Phantom, Blassreiter and (to an extent) Psycho-Pass.

In the case of Aldnoah Zero - which he wrote - it refers to big long stretches of ridiculous expository dialogue being delivered for the audience's benefit when the characters should already know all the things they're talking about.

With that said - would people prefer it if Aldnoah Zero was narrated at the start, or had some kind of text crawl to tell us what was going on? I believe that's supposed to be lazy screenwriting/directing but would it be less obnoxious than the info dumping from characters that should know better that we're getting?

He's not credited for composition though. The Boku no Pico guy is. I thought Urobutch referred to Urobutcher since he's a baby Tomino?

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder 1

Pretty good adaptation so far. I love that the Former Resident' District looks as colourful as it did in the VN. The soundtrack is still fantastic too, not AS good as the DMMD or reconnect's soundtracks but still really good. I think Goatbed's stuff is a bit weaker but the background track during the Rhyme fight was awesome. It's kind of hilarious that I still don't really know what Ribsteiz is. I guess it's just gang fighting? They never really went into it in the VN because it wasn't important to the main story. The minor changes to the story were interesting too. They removed one of the route choices for Koujaku, the girls were supposed to try and touch Aoba's hair and he'd either tell them to back off or let them try and have Koujaku stop them. I wonder why they didn't choose one? Maybe to hide which route they're going down.

Also behold my "tastefully cropped" Clear avatar! An apron/gasmask combo is not something you see everyday!

Soma

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun Ep. 1

http://a.pomf.se/bfcchp.webm

Well that was super cute. Sakura was goddamn adorable through out this episode, like much more than I remember her being from the manga. Comedy didn't work some of the time though unfortunately but from what I sampled of the manga, it seemed to pick up considerably after more of the cast gets introduced. Looking forward to the next episode.

Jarmel

Banned
"Hey, guys, I'm going to randomly dump info on my friend here, who obviously has as great an understanding as I, while I drink scotch in a bar."

That scene was fine. His friend is a doctor so there's a good chance he wouldn't be that familiar with military stuff. Also the guy is an alcoholic and chances are he's tipsy.

Mokoi

Banned
Space Dandy 7

This episode was really fun. Dandy attempts to become the #1 racer in the galaxy or something only to go out with an explosive end. Makes me want to go pop in Redline. Also if you have not watched Redline you should really fix that.

Barack 1

The opening punch of the show was amazing. It's definitely this summers feel good show. Naru is great with her antics, and I can say expectations were met.

Also I'm glad I will never have to experience Kancho.

Mortemis

Banned
akame ga kill 01

Great first episode, definitely enjoyed it more than the first chapter of the manga. I want to go read the manga now, but I don't know if I should just read it now or keep up with this and read it after it's done.

Nozaki-kun 01

Yesssss, aots is here. Love the humor in the manga, but I agree that the VA's make this so much more hilarious.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 1:

Yea, I thought I was going to hate this show but it is indeed the shocker of the season. Discarding the usual sorts of shallowness and transmorphing into a genuinely amusing and funny satire of Shoujo manga and a chemistry dynamic I have not seen since Love Lab this year means I shall continue watching for the time being.

Hugstable

Banned
Barakamon Episode 1

Didn't know what to expect going into this anime, but after watching this first episode, I feel like it has the setup to be a really heart warming Slice of Life story. I don't have too much experiences with much Slice of Life anime, but I can already tell that this is gonna be special. It seems to be the story of a middle aged Calligrapher (How old is he anyway?) who seems to be a little over reactive, yet very passionate about his unique style of calligraphy that many of the old boys just won't appreciated. He then moves out to an rural farming area to get away from everything to try and cool his head when he is surprised and greeted to one other person hiding out in his house. Anyway it seems to be a good setup to what will ultimately be a great heart warming anime, with tons of incoming feels. I'm really excited for this anime this summer and glad I found out about it :D.

Some Pics:

Also could someone let me know what is considered spoilers and if anything in my impressions is too much of a spoiler to where I should change it. I haven't posted here very much yet and this is my first impression so I just wanted to know what is and isn't acceptable to have in write ups and such.

Jex

If you actually go back and watch the bus scene in Aldnoah.Zero again, which I don't suppose you suggest you do, you'll find that not only does some of it not make any sense at all but every single line from every single character is basically exposition of one sort of another.

The worst offender in that scene, besides what I mentioned ysterday, is that the way the scene opens. It beings with this girl conveniently reading an e-book that covers the major historical events that have happened in this universe - but there's no reason given for the scene to begin this way. She just reads some stuff from this book - stuff that's so basic that they would already all know (think of a teenager today and 9/11 or some other major event) and they don't even throw in a line to explain why she's reading this stuff. They could have just said she was revising for an exam, or brushing up on dates, or something, but no, it's literally naked exposition. She just dumps the info and then the next character dumps some more info.

NeonZ

In Kamen Rider Gaim, Urobuchi got some exposition regarding the fictional Zawame city out of the way in the beginning of the show with an infomercial clip shown on a tv. Kind of odd that he reverted to making characters speak about things that they know here.

So expository dialogue/info dumping.

Meh it is a first episode. And I had no idea Gen was writing Aldnoah. I guess I know what to expect now, another fucking rant against utilitarian morality like all of his other works.

He's scripting the first episodes, and is also credited as original creator, but he isn't credited as the main writer, so I don't think he's staying in the writing after doing the basic set up of the show in these first few weeks.

Although, I'm surprised that he's even writing the script of these first few episodes, considering how he was Gargantia's "main writer" in spite of only writing two episodes there, and here he isn't considered the main writer, only "original creator". So, I might be mistaken again.

cajunator

Banned
I would advice against Brynhildr. There isn't much cute, only a lot of breasts and dumb. Pure, pure dumb.

Wixoss is fairly decent, or so my friends say at least.

MadP took the time to tell me just what kind of show Wixoss really is.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 1:

Yea, I thought I was going to hate this show but it is indeed the shocker of the season. Discarding the usual sorts of shallowness and transmorphing into a genuinely amusing and funny satire of Shoujo manga and a chemistry dynamic I have not seen since Love Lab this year means I shall continue watching for the time being.

Sold

Jarmel

Banned
If you actually go back and watch the bus scene in Aldnoah.Zero again, which I don't suppose you suggest you do, you'll find that not only does some of it not make any sense at all but every single line from every single character is basically exposition of one sort of another.

The worst offender in that scene, besides what I mentioned ysterday, is that the way the scene opens. It beings with this girl conveniently reading an e-book that covers the major historical events that have happened in this universe - but there's no reason given for the scene to begin this way. She just reads some stuff from this book - stuff that's so basic that they would already all know (think of a teenager today and 9/11 or some other major event) and they don't even throw in a line to explain why she's reading this stuff. They could have just said she was revising for an exam, or brushing up on dates, or something, but no, it's literally naked exposition. She just dumps the info and then the next character dumps some more info.

Yea, that's the worst offender of the bus scene. It might make sense if she was studying for a history test or something but even that isn't mentioned. She literally recites random info. Hell if she was even watching a news broadcast on her mobile device, that would be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom