• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAO 1

It was an alright episode not bad. Since it was an introductory episode. Also why it the villain's name so simplistic, Death Gun they should of gone for something like Death Killer or Death Sinister. And why does Kirito look like a kid. Anyways it was still a good ep and liked the opening a bit. Can't wait for the action.

Ok. I'll bite. I lose nothing for at least trying.

7oWYGHz.jpg

Hunter X Hunter 136

Okay, now it's really the end of that arc. Can't wait for elections and lets save tomodachi's life. And Hisoka... AND LEORIO

So is anyone streaming Jinsei, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Sabagebu!?

At least interested to try those.

Edit: I guess CR is doing Gekkan Shoujo at least.

Rhapsody

Banned
SAO 1

It was an alright episode not bad. Since it was an introductory episode. Also why it the villain's name so simplistic, Death Gun they should of gone for something like Death Killer or Death Sinister. And why does Kirito look like a kid. Anyways it was still a good ep and liked the opening a bit. Can't wait for the action.

Death Sinister sounds hella Japanese lol

Mahouka 13

I gotta say Shizuka and Honoka being the best is great. The rookies pillar break and surf boarding was nice. And that confrontation between Tatsuya and Masaki looked like they wanted to beat the shit at of each other
th

We also get to see the Hong Kong No Head Dragons.

Akame ga Kill 1

Damn. Wasnt expecting that.

Looks good so far. Nice action and looks violent / dark as hell. The random mood whiplashes are kinda weird though.
Like dudes two close friends were brutally murdered but hes more worried about being picked up by a cat girl.

Will follow this.

Finalow

Akame ga Kill looks interesting but I'm already watching too much stuff, will probably wait for it to finish and see if it's actually worth it.

I watch all my anime dubbed.

In Japanese.
is there even someone that watches anime with english dub?

Stulaw

Just finished Date A Live II. Now I gotta wait on a movie?
Ahhh man.

Very sure it said the movie's just a re-cap, they did the same thing with the first season.

Akame Ga Kill 1

Exactly the same as the manga, only it got through the chapter faster, I'm going to have to get used to Tatsumi with brown hair.

Baby Steps 14

The realities of Tennis, players get injured, doesn't mean that you wouldn't have won without them being so. 3-set match next, Maruo's moving up in the world.

Aldnoa.Zero 1

Everything happened so quickly, and the (who I assume are) M.C's didn't really even get introduced except
the Princess and her (boy)friend, who I don't expect to be dead, that must've been a decoy
, I will keep watching though.

Mahouka 14

We get a little info about OP Masaki and how he went to battle at 13. And some about George and how he's a prodigy. Honoka wining the battle boards was nice. Poor Shizuka as amazing as she is at magic she still lost to Miyuki. It's just that Miyuki's is on another level, that OPness. That speech at the end by Juumonji was nice and we also know that can easily sway Tatsuya. With Tatsuya, Mikihiko, and Leo they are gonna enter the Monolith code. The ending and opening was good but it did spoil some things. I mean we got to see a Mecha.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Akame ga Kill! - 01

I have to admit that it easier on the heart when the target of assassins are made out to be the most vile of human dredge but I still prefer the morally gray moments of assassin shows the best (like the situation found in Phantom Requiem or Noir). That said, I still find the show interesting but I don't know if I can enjoy this show with its extreme swings in tone from light-heartedness to grippingly dark in what almost seems random. I won't last if this is the kind of pace it aims to set for itself.

Aldnoah Zero 1

T'was alright. I hope it won't be too generic. A lot of things that were already talked about seemed somewhat stupid or questionable but I'll wait for more episodes before it's a real issue just yet.

Have to say though, this and Tokyo Ghoul reminded me that this kind of TV in the background exposition is really, really annoying when watching something with subs. It's not very clever in the first place but when you have 2 different texts to look at, ergh.

Akame ga Kill 1

Am kinda curious about it because so many people foresee it being the next Attack on Titan in terms of success.

After watching this first episode though, eh, kinda doubt it. AoT doesn't have fanservice, doesn't use too many anime tropes and has a rather serious atmosphere. So it's something that can appeal very easily to western audiences. It's darn strong OP and first episode are also great to draw people in.

Akame ga Kill may become a large success but I kinda doubt it'll have the same kind of appeal as AoT to the more mature audiences. There's fanservice and this kind of rather comical atmosphere which stands in dissonance to the very dark moments (the edge!),

Looks good so far. Nice action and looks violent / dark as hell. The random mood whiplashes are kinda weird though.
Like dudes two close friends were brutally murdered but hes more worried about being picked up by a cat girl.

Yup, that just doesn't work for me. Kills any attempt at real immersion from my side. Same with the funny faces throughout the 'serious' dialogs. It's just a weird disparity. Oh and the little lady's insane rant, urgh. Just so fucking over the top. Now if the show weren't taking itself too seriously, that works, but the edge seems strong with this one.

Anyways, pacing of the first episode was pretty good and my fear of the MC being a Kirito didn't come true... yet at least. Was afraid he'd be acting all stoic and uncaring after killing that beast the beginning, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 17

Is Jojo so dense that he really doesn't notice
the fact that ACDC's giant brain is clinging onto his back with long tentacles?

Ah whatever. This is Jojo. Maybe ACDC's somehow living and breathing brain is using Hamon to suck the sense of touch away from his back or whatever. Wouldn't surprise me.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1

Great first episode. Really funny, good production values, great voice acting.

Also contender for best OP of the season easily.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
DRAMAtical Murder - 01

The third piece in the pile-of-shit hat trick of Bishonen shows this season. Why are these types of show so damn shallow and boring. Fetish-based shows just need to go extinct. It pisses me off that they can survive because of their loyal fans that keep buying the same masturbation material season after season!

Hattori

Banned
Akame ga Kill
It was enjoyable but the mood was very inconsistent.
I'm not asking for melodrama, but when your two best buds just died I don't expect you to be acting goofy not even a minute after.
Other than that it was a good hook. It had plenty of action and I look forward to next weeks ep.

DRAMAtical Murder - 01

The third piece in the pile-of-shit hat trick of Bishonen shows this season. Why are these types of show so damn shallow and boring. Fetish-based shows just need to go extinct. It pisses me off that they can survive because of their loyal fans that keep buying the same masturbation material season after season!

Umm........ I kinda liked it. Of course, I've had no experience with the franchise before. I didn't even know it existed until I saw the Max Factory Aoba figure.

Go_Ly_Dow

Out of all the shows that have aired so far I've checked out/decided to check out:

-SAO II (for a very good weekly laugh)
-Free :)DTL)
-Barakamon (feelsgoodman.jpg)
-Terror in Resonance (likely to end up being the only legitmately good show)

Get the feeling that....

-Aldnoah Zero is a wait and see kinda show
-Glasslip is disappointing PA works shit

Anything I've missed thats definitely worth a sniff? Been out of the loop with this stuff for a good 4-5 months now.

DRAMAtical Murder - 01

What in the world, why so angry?

Out of all the shows that have aired so far I've checked out/decided to check out:

-SAO II (for a very good weekly laugh)
-Free :)DTL)
-Barakamon (feelsgoodman.jpg)
-Terror in Resonance (likely to end up being the only legitmately good show)

Get the feeling that....

-Aldnoah Zero is a wait and see kinda show
-Glasslip is disappointing PA works shit

Anything I've missed thats definitely worth a sniff? Been out of the loop with this stuff for a good 4-5 months now.

Rail Works, Akame ga KILL, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Chariot

Why Papo & Yo? lol
Oh shit, wrong thread. How does this shit happen? :(

Well anyways, I just saw Space Dandy, Barakamon and aldnoah.zero. All very good (although I think my brain was on standby on some places in ladnoah, gotta rewatch that). But Space Dandy was the best episode so far, couldn't stop grinning and Barakamon was super adorable.

This looks like a parody video. Looking forward to this.

I don't find many anime shows laugh out loud funny. According to Hummingbird about 60% of shows I've seen can be classified as comedies. I doubt I've even tittered for most of them. I just find them enjoyable and inoffensive.

I find lots of anime funny. One of the reasons I keep watching.

30 seconds into DRAMAtical Murder - 1

"Hurry and come to me, break me, with your power..."

There is too much of this in BL, and that's why it is bad.

BluWacky

DRAMAtical Murder - 01

But this is the lifeblood of the anime industry you're talking about, whether yaoi, yuri or het.

Technically, I suppose this almost counts as another Urobuchi show this season. He's the director of Nitro+Chiral, the studio that produced the game, after all...

(of course, he had no hand in writing it - but where's the fun in that?)

DRAMAtical Murder 1

w7i4WeW.png

"This might not be so bad. I mean sure it looks extremely :dtl but it might end up being the surprise of the season."

*watches episode*
*searches for google images of the episode to show GAF just how DTL it looks*
*sees the results google gives him for images*

McYnUJA.png

......dropped

excuse me as I bleach my eyes

I can't say I'm surprised that a show that has the word DRAMA capitalized in its title is shit.

It was pretty upfront about that bit at least.

Chariot

Thank you dudes, DRAMAtical Murder wasn't even in my thoughts. Now I google image searched it, thank to Woofington. Was certainly more explicit than I expected.
Akame ga Kill
It was enjoyable but the mood was very inconsistent.
I'm not asking for melodrama, but when your two best buds just died I don't expect you to be acting goofy not even a minute after.
Other than that it was a good hook. It had plenty of action and I look forward to next weeks ep.
Is the mood roullete on Brnyhildr level? In which case I won't even touch Akame ga Kill.

cajunator

Banned
Aria 01

Threatening people into becoming your friends works well.

Nice and relaxing with some small bursts of comedy. Pretty good. Not sure about what to think about that Mr. President creature yet though :p

The most relaxing anime ever. Great to watch when you just need to chill.

Hnnnng

No Game No Life feels like Rio Rainbow Gate except with a hint of incest and pedophilia.

Ive watched that and actually, its not far off!
NGNL is better.

Actually, it's this mindset which makes no sense.

Something is less expensive then it was before so now it's okay? No.
That's like saying people shouldn't complain and be grateful a loaf of bread costs $15 when you used to have to pay $25. No. It's still stupidly expensive, it's just that it was even more ridiculously expensive in the past.

That Sailor Moon box set may cost $57 for 23 episodes but that's just half the first series. That's $114 for just the first part. Despite popular belief of Americans not everyone lives in the Unites States as well, so there could be shipping charges on top of that. The series is also comprised of five parts.

Depending what kind of pricing they have it could run you over $500 dollars just to own the whole show.

The companies have to make SOME money. Anime isnt free. It costs money to make, license, to cover overheads. I dont mind the prices if it keeps them viable.

Future Diary 12

What more could one wish for?

Things gets worked out and now it's time for a nice trip. Yukki might even get to see Yunos hm... parents? I'm guessing parents for now.

Shes so cute. Its ridiculous.

Cute is justice.

Hell yeah it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom