• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curiosity killed the dog. And also two other people.

IN THE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMS OF AN ANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

For every dollar you donate, one less person will have to google search DRAMAtical Murder in google images. Think of the children. Think of your eyes.

Think of your special eyes. No amount of eye correction devices can make you unblind. You have special eyes.

For every dollar you donate, one less person will have to google search DRAMAtical Murder in google images. Think of the children. Think of your eyes.

Think of your special eyes. No amount of eye correction devices can make you unblind. You have special eyes.
This is all on you Admiral, you should know better than the google image search a BL game.

BluWacky

I can't say I'm surprised that a show that has the word DRAMA capitalized in its title is shit.

It was pretty upfront about that bit at least.

I dunno. It looks like Woofington didn't mind the first episode but is dropping it because it's ultra gay and ultra violent with it (such is the norm for BL games, alas). Plus it gives him a good excuse for his usual spazztastic meme-filled reactions :p

I haven't watched it - and don't know if I will - but GAF is not the place for reasonable criticism of yaoi shows. People either seem to love them or hate them because of the fact they're gay, rather than on their individual merits.

That said, did we get some good discussion going on Antique Bakery back in the day? I don't think I watched it as it aired but it's probably still my "gold standard" of good gay anime. 90s shows are cheesy or weirdly angsty, and most 00s/10s shows are based on BL harem games and/or have no budget so don't really offer much in the way of interesting characters or animation.

(I don't mean CLAMP shows or others with a random gay couple here, I mean those where the gayness is a major component)

I see only a bunch of gay people. What's the deal?

Eh. Wasn't that bad. NSFW for sure though.

Chariot

Explicit stuff. I would've equally nervous if I just saw a boy and a girl having sex or ponys. I thought I'd see some ambiguous scenes like Free, but no I get people having sex and some dude who rams a Knife in his head. It's not something I usally see when I google for anime.

I dunno. It looks like Woofington didn't mind the first episode but is dropping it because it's ultra gay and ultra violent with it (such is the norm for BL games, alas). Plus it gives him a good excuse for his usual spazztastic meme-filled reactions :p

I haven't watched it - and don't know if I will - but GAF is not the place for reasonable criticism of yaoi shows. People either seem to love them or hate them because of the fact they're gay, rather than on their individual merits.

That said, did we get some good discussion going on Antique Bakery back in the day? I don't think I watched it as it aired but it's probably still my "gold standard" of good gay anime. 90s shows are cheesy or weirdly angsty, and most 00s/10s shows are based on BL harem games and/or have no budget so don't really offer much in the way of interesting characters or animation.

(I don't mean CLAMP shows or others with a random gay couple here, I mean those where the gayness is a major component)

Not exactly the gay ness, but the title itself was like giving me warning signs that it might be terrible, and quite frankly, I'm not really looking forward to watching a bunch of shows since I have a hard time committing to shows I'm already watching.

cajunator

Banned
I feel bad for people who can't appreciate english dub QT.

Luci Christian best English VA. People better appreciate her goddess-like cuteness.

Valvra*e - 11

OMG! This so is so stupid!
I raped you and I'ma do right by you so please marry me <3
ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?!!

It shits you not.

On the topic of dubs are there any anime you think work better dubbed than subbed?

I tried watching Ergo Proxy subbed first then tried the dub and went with that. The dub was competent enough and the setting worked better with spoken English dialog rather than Japanese.

Gunsmith Cats, Cowboy Bebop, Desert Punk, Goldenboy

I didn't know. I watched it because Link Man promised me robot talking dog, and I was all "an anime without a talking cat? This I gotta see" the boys looked pretty DTL, but then I remembered K and how that didn't end up being completely horrible and still had some cool fights I guess so I still enjoyed it.

While it wasn't a horrible first episode, it didn't grab my attention either and the atmosphere, characters, and everything have left me wary. Not to mention how cheesy bad anime the battle at the end was. The show was more interested in giving me boy eye candy than it was in getting me interested in the show. And with confirmations of what it is, from both people here and google image nightmare, I won't continue. I didn't continue to watch that boobie knight jousting show a couple of seasons ago for similar reasons.

If it's your thing all to you though.

Maybe my google image searching is not on safe mode. Would explain why this happened before with another show.

BluWacky

What is "Butch dialogue" and when did people in this thread start using the term?

It refers to Gen Urobuchi, "bigshot" writer behind the scripts for fan favourites like Madoka, Fate/Zero and Gargantia. Also fan less favourites like Phantom, Blassreiter and (to an extent) Psycho-Pass.

In the case of Aldnoah Zero - which he wrote - it refers to big long stretches of ridiculous expository dialogue being delivered for the audience's benefit when the characters should already know all the things they're talking about.

With that said - would people prefer it if Aldnoah Zero was narrated at the start, or had some kind of text crawl to tell us what was going on? I believe that's supposed to be lazy screenwriting/directing but would it be less obnoxious than the info dumping from characters that should know better that we're getting?

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Hey look, something decent this season!

And genuinely funny. It's not perfect, there is a few times where the comedic timing was a bit off, but mostly it's pretty good adaptation.

Chariot

Maybe my google image searching is not on safe mode. Would explain why this happened before with another show.
I have mine definitly on. Don't even want to know what goryness awaits behind the filter.

I didn't continue to watch that boobie knight jousting show a couple of seasons ago for similar reasons.
Walkure Romanze was funny, the show forgot halfways that it was supposed to be a haremshow.

I loved the manga. While not always laugh out loud, the writing and characters are just... solid. Like really freaking well written. And this OP is amazing, up there with Viva Namida.

edit: I remember a complaint Jexhius mentioned in his review of Aldnoah Zero and it's the one I agree with the most: what's your opinion on 'exposition the conversation' animeGAF?

Like at the beginning of an episode where the character goes down the stairs and the first conversation with his mom is stuff like

Mom: Son you're going to be late for school. Ever since you entered the karate club and became the world wide champion you sure do sleep late

Son: Thanks mom. Man I can't believe it has been 3 weeks since dad died in the war. Ever since then the japanese government has made giant robots that control the metro.

Welp, the Funimation site hates me. I'm trying to watch Space Dandy and it keeps on freezing 20 seconds in. Anyone know if any other simulcasters have the sub? Or is it just Funi?

cajunator

Banned
Akame ga Kill looks interesting but I'm already watching too much stuff, will probably wait for it to finish and see if it's actually worth it.

is there even someone that watches anime with english dub?

I watch a lot of anime dubbed. Most of it actually.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1

Great first episode. Really funny, good production values, great voice acting.

Also contender for best OP of the season easily.

Oh god Zachy was tweeting pictures of the girl. Hnnnnnnnnnngh. CUTIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I really gotta watch this when I have time off.

It refers to Gen Urobuchi, "bigshot" writer behind the scripts for fan favourites like Madoka, Fate/Zero and Gargantia. Also fan less favourites like Phantom, Blassreiter and (to an extent) Psycho-Pass.

In the case of Aldnoah Zero - which he wrote - it refers to big long stretches of ridiculous expository dialogue being delivered for the audience's benefit when the characters should already know all the things they're talking about.

With that said - would people prefer it if Aldnoah Zero was narrated at the start, or had some kind of text crawl to tell us what was going on? I believe that's supposed to be lazy screenwriting/directing but would it be less obnoxious than the info dumping from characters that should know better that we're getting?

So expository dialogue/info dumping.

Meh it is a first episode. And I had no idea Gen was writing Aldnoah. I guess I know what to expect now, another fucking rant against utilitarian morality like all of his other works.

Yeah, it really doesn't help that they are avoided because they have homosexual content; this is show for fujoshi, so it is bad. Sadly, they are right a lot of the time.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Walkure Romanze? I actually liked that show. The boobies didn't have anything much to do with it.

That show was awful for the same reason. Shallow ads MCs and goofy outfits. They think saving up beautiful women would be enough to carry a show.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 01

00d71dd5b5.jpg

Hey look, it's Stardust Crusaders.

Pretty good OP.
Decent ED as well.

This should be a nice and sweet show to watch. Good first episode.
Liking the characters already.

Chariot

is there even someone that watches anime with english dub?
I usually watch my anime in japanese, but there are some anime where the english dub just makes more sense, like Baccano! or Black Lagoon and there are some shows that I can only watch in german, because I watched them in german when I was a child. Every other dub feels just plain wrong. But I can understand when people just like english more than japanese. Although this western pussies have little mega western otaku street cred, if that eases your heart.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No way it can air on Toonami, The manga has Berserk levels of brutality and murder in it. If they adapt it from the manga it will be great. If they deviate because the manga is too violent a la Hellsing TV then it will be bad. And no, the lead is no Gary Stu, if anything the enemies are more OP than any of the good guys. Spoiler that follows is a description of one of the badguys in the manga and how brutal he is, I don't even think hes the worst one too
I mean most recently there's a bad guy who looks like an evil clown who kidnaps and rapes little boys and girls and then murders them brutally by torturing them and strangling them and its all drawn right there in the manga and btw he works for the govt.

Ah, a manga reader, sorry I don't have the perspective you do since I am going into this blind. Though I think you might wanna be prepared for brutality censoring considering this is airing on Japanese TV. Also, still pegging this for Toonami, they are airing the likes of Attack on Titan and Black Lagoon right now. The brutality threshold is quite high for the block.

That show was awful for the same reason. Shallow ads MCs and goofy outfits. They think saving up beautiful women would be enough to carry a show.

Maybe you guys should just take things at face value and not expect a deep, revelatory experience from every anime you watch. Probably why you find more shows to complain about than enjoy.

Welp, the Funimation site hates me. I'm trying to watch Space Dandy and it keeps on freezing 20 seconds in. Anyone know if any other simulcasters have the sub? Or is it just Funi?

Just FUNimation that I know of. Hulu should have the sub available in the coming week or two since FUNimation now does a one-week delay for non-premium members like Crunchyroll does.

Jarmel

Banned

I think you guys are way overblowing it. The bus scene was pretty bad but the rest for the most part was fine.

well, I usually can't stand english dub.
but I guess that I'm used to japanese voices. I also guess that it depends on the anime.

There are quite a few dubs I like, but hardly any at all I "prefer".
Space Dandy in some ways, I like the narrator in the dub better.

Ah, a manga reader, sorry I don't have the perspective you do since I am going into this blind. Though I think you might wanna be prepared for brutality censoring considering this is airing on Japanese TV. Also, still pegging this for Toonami, they are airing the likes of Attack on Titan and Black Lagoon right now. The brutality threshold is quite high for the block.

Yeah if they have Black Lagoon on Toonami then Akame ga Kill could be up for grabs too.
Dub Black Lagoon runs at like 5 fucks per second

I mean they've already censored it in a few places.

Off the top of my head, one I can think of in the episode is that in the manga, in the scene with the
shed reveal one of Sayo's legs had been chopped off and you could see it while she was hanging there. There were also a lot more bodies there.

Also the
mother's murder was way bloodier in the manga

It's very very violent in the manga, but they've already shown they'll censor some of the more excessive stuff.

Hugstable

Banned
I usually watch my anime in japanese, but there are some anime where the english dub just makes more sense, like Baccano! or Black Lagoon and there are some shows that I can only watch in german, because I watched them in german when I was a child. Every other dub feels just plain wrong. But I can understand when people just like english more than japanese. Although this western pussies have little mega western otaku street cred, if that eases your heart.

Pretty much how I feel on it. I don't think I can watch Baccano subbed (one of my favorite anime actually) but everything else usually just feels weird. The only shows I've gotten used to that had a pretty bad dub was Gurren Lagaan, and I probably think it's bad because I saw it originally in Japanese. But I recently got my brother into the anime but he doesn't really like subs at all so I ended up watching the dubbed version. I hated Kamina and Nia's voices, but I got used to the rest of the cast to where I didn't mind it after a while. But yes, subs all the way most of the time for me, except for certain shows where it makes more sense to watch the dubbed version, (Baccano). I actually wouldn't mind a German version of Monster consdiering a majority of the show takes place there. I still have to check out the subbed version of Monster one day as all I've seen on that was dubbed myself.

There are quite a few dubs I like, but hardly any at all I "prefer".
Space Dandy in some ways, I like the narrator in the dub better.

Yeah if they have Black Lagoon on Toonami then Akame ga Kill could be up for grabs too.
Dub Black Lagoon runs at like 5 fucks per second

They censor all the f bombs which makes it pretty funny to watch. Violence really isn't a problem at all for Toonami, the commercials for Super Jail (adult swim cartoon) have far more violence then 90% of anime I've seen. The bigger problem is nudity, they were able to air all of Akira unedited minus the boobs which had to be covered by a convenient piece of trash that flew in front of the girl.

I like dubs and subs equally, if jumping into a series for the first time I'll watch like 1-2 episodes of both before deciding which I want to marathon. At this point the quality of dubs is so good it might as well be pick which you prefer, and as long as the dub isn't astronomically worse I'll generally lean towards that just so I don't have to read subs the whole time.

Finalow

I usually watch my anime in japanese, but there are some anime where the english dub just makes more sense, like Baccano! or Black Lagoon -
I understand that in some situations it could make more sense but if the japanese voices are better overall I just don't care about that.
and for shows that I watched when I was a kid I actually prefer(red) to watch them in another language, it feels totally different but I usually like it.

tokyo ghouls 1

was nice to look at, but i wish this was actual horror instead of black comedy.

Barakamon 1

This is pretty fun. protag looks like a kyoani person, kid is awesome. will keep watch for now.

cajunator

Banned
Pretty much how I feel on it. I don't think I can watch Baccano subbed (one of my favorite anime actually) but everything else usually just feels weird. The only shows I've gotten used to that had a pretty bad dub was Gurren Lagaan, and I probably think it's bad because I saw it originally in Japanese. But I recently got my brother into the anime but he doesn't really like subs at all so I ended up watching the dubbed version. I hated Kamina and Nia's voices, but I got used to the rest of the cast to where I didn't mind it after a while. But yes, subs all the way most of the time for me, except for certain shows where it makes more sense to watch the dubbed version, (Baccano). I actually wouldn't mind a German version of Monster consdiering a majority of the show takes place there. I still have to check out the subbed version of Monster one day as all I've seen on that was dubbed myself.

I watch certain shows in Japanese for the VA's. Certain ones cannot be missed!

So I was wondering why Nozaki-kun sounded so familiar and realized it's the same voice as Onii-sama. Curious as to his other work, I then realized he has voiced a lot of leads of shows I've liked. Like Oreki in Hyouka, Kintoki in Gintama, and the lead in Clannad.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1
ibjmtLMQkX4wZs.jpg

Me when I'm watching this show.
OH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, I don't even remember the last show that was as hilarious as it was adorable. Chiyo and Nozaki are both really good leads and play off of each other well and that certain Dogakobo flair makes the show even more entertaining. If manga reader's impressions are anything to go by then this show will easily remain one of my favorites this season.

Also Miyukichi's character is introduced next week, show of the forever.

Chariot

Yeah, a german version of Monster would be interesting. Hellsing in german is already somewhat interesting.
And despite english being the correct language in-world I like the german Revy the most of all Revys. Her hard, self-conscious womanly voice is just perfect.

I understand that in some situations it could make more sense but if the japanese voices are better overall I just don't care about that.
and for shows that I watched when I was a kid I actually prefer(red) to watch them in another language, it feels totally different but I usually like it.
Yeah, but you were wondering wether people actually watch dubs. Which is a bit unfair, since there is nothing wrong with most dubs. People keep watching movies and regular tv shows in dubbed version after all, why not anime.

So I was wondering why Nozaki-kun sounded so familiar and realized it's the same voice as Onii-sama. Curious as to his other work, I then realized he has voiced a lot of leads of shows I've liked. Like Oreki in Hyouka, Kintoki in Gintama, and the lead in Clannad.
What, Tomoya is Onii-sama?

i51dPxSut1yfO.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I find is amusing the people who don't find Dandy to be that funny usually are watching the sub

Also whenever someone says dubs are never good, Dandy 14 should be the episode you give them and say "nope wrong"
I watch Space Dandy dubbed and don't find it to be a very funny show. I like it, but I'm not coming to it to laugh.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1
... and that certain Dogakobo flair makes the show even more entertaining.
I know C-tier Dogakobo when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom