• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Yeah, but you were wondering wether people actually watch dubs. Which is a bit unfair, since there is nothing wrong with most dubs. People keep watching movies and regular tv shows in dubbed version after all, why not anime.
yes, I was. gotta believe in the japanese master race. I also watch (american) movies and tv shows only in the original language.

Barakamon Episode 1

Didn't know what to expect going into this anime, but after watching this first episode, I feel like it has the setup to be a really heart warming Slice of Life story. I don't have too much experiences with much Slice of Life anime, but I can already tell that this is gonna be special. It seems to be the story of a middle aged Calligrapher (How old is he anyway?) who seems to be a little over reactive, yet very passionate about his unique style of calligraphy that many of the old boys just won't appreciated. He then moves out to an rural farming area to get away from everything to try and cool his head when he is surprised and greeted to one other person hiding out in his house. Anyway it seems to be a good setup to what will ultimately be a great heart warming anime, with tons of incoming feels. I'm really excited for this anime this summer and glad I found out about it :D.

Some Pics:

Also could someone let me know what is considered spoilers and if anything in my impressions is too much of a spoiler to where I should change it. I haven't posted here very much yet and this is my first impression so I just wanted to know what is and isn't acceptable to have in write ups and such.
Neither of those are spoilers, one happens 3 minutes in and the other is just a sight gag

Also " very passionate about his unique style of calligraphy that many of the old boys just won't appreciated"

It's more that he respects the classical style too much, and the guy wanted to see more creativity. Imagine if you reproduced paintings on the level of Michellangelo and a critic said you were trying to hard to win a medal and had no style of your own

Even on the beach he's reflecting 'It's a given the fundamentals make the most beautiful writing. I'm not wrong about that'

Andrew J.

If you actually go back and watch the bus scene in Aldnoah.Zero again, which I don't suppose you suggest you do, you'll find that not only does some of it not make any sense at all but every single line from every single character is basically exposition of one sort of another.

The worst offender in that scene, besides what I mentioned ysterday, is that the way the scene opens. It beings with this girl conveniently reading an e-book that covers the major historical events that have happened in this universe - but there's no reason given for the scene to begin this way. She just reads some stuff from this book - stuff that's so basic that they would already all know (think of a teenager today and 9/11 or some other major event) and they don't even throw in a line to explain why she's reading this stuff. They could have just said she was revising for an exam, or brushing up on dates, or something, but no, it's literally naked exposition. She just dumps the info and then the next character dumps some more info.

I assumed it was a textbook and that she was studying for history class

Jarmel

Banned
Is this a troll PV? LOL it seems so weird. I also like how they showed no actual animation in it but maybe the show is too far off?

See that's the thing. I'm wondering if they're going to animate the show like the stuff in the PV or whether that's just some leftover stuff from the manga. My assumption is the latter.

Hugstable

Banned
Neither of those are spoilers, one happens 3 minutes in and the other is just a sight gag

Also " very passionate about his unique style of calligraphy that many of the old boys just won't appreciated"

It's more that he respects the classical style too much, and the guy wanted to see more creativity. Imagine if you reproduced paintings on the level of Michellangelo and a critic said you were trying to hard to win a medal and had no style of your own

Even on the beach he's reflecting 'It's a given the fundamentals make the most beautiful writing. I'm not wrong about that'

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was a little confused on all of that. Really liking the setup of the anime and though and excited to see where it's gonna go.

mankoto

Akame ga Kill 1
This came out really good, especially the OST. I'm honestly just waiting to see how far they'll go in terms of staying true to the manga considering how crazy it gets later.

Mokoi

Banned
Barakamon Episode 1
Also could someone let me know what is considered spoilers and if anything in my impressions is too much of a spoiler to where I should change it. I haven't posted here very much yet and this is my first impression so I just wanted to know what is and isn't acceptable to have in write ups and such.

None of those were really spoilers at least to me. Heck I was trying to make a webm of that opening punch, but it came out looking terrible. Also he doesn't have an unique style of calligraphy. He only follows the textbook classical examples on it. If you noticed even the kid was saying how it's just like her teachers. The old man was simply giving him advice to have more creativity in his work. However, he wouldn't stand for it. Futher into show at least I hope they show it. He makes a really cool caligraphy writing that I can't wait to see.

1404665399094fqj6u.jpg

Akame ga Kill! 1

Opening: Fine. Willing to give the full version a try and I'm glad they had the decency to tease best girl already.
Ending: Forgettable. Not worth my time listening to it when I don't even care for it or the previews.

They kept the blood.

There was no censoring.

The VA cast nailed down their respective characters perfectly.

And the OST is so good.

Already off to a good start.

Personally pleased with how they handled Aria.

Gives me some assurance that they'll do well with Seryuu later on.

Yea, that's the worst offender of the bus scene. It might make sense if she was studying for a history test or something but even that isn't mentioned. She literally recites random info. Hell if she was even watching a news broadcast on her mobile device, that would be acceptable.

It actually is mentioned. She outright states she wants to retake the crown as the best in the class.

Hugstable

Banned
None of those were really spoilers at least to me. Heck I was trying to make a webm of that opening punch, but it came out looking terrible. Also he doesn't have an unique style of calligraphy. He only follows the textbook classical examples on it. If you noticed even the kid was saying how it's just like her teachers. The old man was simply giving him advice to have more creativity in his work. However, he wouldn't stand for it. Futher into show at least I hope they show it. He makes a really cool caligraphy writing that I can't wait to see.

Thanks, someone else pointed that out to me also and I was a bit confused on that whole part.

fertygo

Akame ga Kill

Just look at dem EDGY... that last 3 minute somehow overwhelming Tokyo Ghoul's whole episode of edginess..
Production value also very meh..

all these manga and LN's getting anime, and my favorite current manga is getting no love.

One day Ore Monogatari. I mean

Ox6q8pi.jpg

even Nisekoi girls know he's the manliest and best lead in a romance

sol_bad

Is anyone else watching Tokyo Ghoul?
I really liked the first episode And found some of it quite disturbing.

Is it streaming anywhere else apart from Madman Australia?
If not I'm very surprised that Madman have picked up exclusive streaming rights.

mankoto

Barakamon 1
Oh man, I enjoyed this more than I thought. I might not know the first thing about calligraphy, but the interactions between Handa and Naru was really fun to see.

I'm going to watch this after Akame ga Kill to counterbalance all of the edge. Although this show is really worth watching in its own right.

Crayons

Banned
I just saw No Game No Life, the entire season.

When's Season 2? I actually really enjoyed it except the hint of incest.

jgminto

So guys which anime seems like a suprise hit of the season, from the first episode.

Surprise? Probably Space Dandy, I wasn't expecting it to be so good right off the bat. Other than that, Bakumatsu Rock and Shonen Hollywood were better than I expected but I wasn't really expecting too much. Still need to check out that Barakamon show, seems people really like it.

Chariot

I just saw No Game No Life, the entire season.

When's Season 2? I actually really enjoyed it except the hint of incest.
It's technically not incest, Shiro was adopted, while one can find it weird, it's not a problem on the tdchnocal side I presume.
No word for season 2 yet.

Jarmel

Banned
It actually is mentioned. She outright states she wants to retake the crown as the best in the class.

The problem is that as Jexhius mentions, it should be rather common knowledge. So it would be like studying basic facts of 9/11 in order to become the top student. Now if she was failing history, that would make much more sense.

Even a line like "Don't you already know this? Yea but it doesn't hurt to check the dates and crap.", would help immensely.

Edit: You know what, I'll do a big write-up for the episode when I get back home.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1

Making this the second show I'm watching this summer.

I like how the yays at the end were more like "whys"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
After taking a bit of a break from anime, I've had a lot of fun going through all these episode 1s of the new season on crunchroll.

Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun - episode 1

By far the standout of all the things I've seen today. The bike scene was laugh out loud funny to me, and I think I can really get behind the romance side of this show.

It really gives me that School Rumble vibe, which is fantastic in my mind. Really looking forward to future episodes of that.

Rail Wars! - episode 1

I have no idea what i just watched. One second they're nerding out about trains, the next second they're doing dumb generic anime fanservice, and the next second they're doing a random action scene.

The final action scene where fists start flying was actually surprisingly very well done on for an anime that doesn't seem to be building up to be very actiony.

I guess the whole thing is about a group of friends who just graduated from train college to become ordinary security officers on ordinary trains. I still don't know what the "Wars!" part of the title means. The setting seems like average modern day japan.

In any case, I like the characters enough to stick with it and see what they plan to do with it, even though it has a lot of elements that people just despise about anime.

DRAMAtical Murder - episode 1

I really feel like you can't make a judgement of this one on the first episode. They seem to be really front loading the exposition. I would say the fight sequences seem like they're really boring, and the characters haven't jumped out as very interesting outside of their visual designs.

I'll probably stick with it to see if there's a plot worth caring about, but I'm not super excited about it. Maybe the action gets better after they establish the power levels and gives the main character a challenge.

Sailor Moon Crystal - episode 1

I like magical girl animes but never got around to Sailor Moon, so I'm excited to jump in here. Thus far they've done a fantasitic job at stroking the nostaliga strings just in the 90s anime vibe it gives, but otherwise I don't know about about this. In 2014 it all seems excessively generic and simplistic. I guess it's hard to go back to the original after seeing what so many different studios have done playing with that original formula.

Also I can't stand Sailor Moon's constantly screaming voice.

Aldnoah Zero - episode 1

Wow, talk about generic. I mean I'm fine with generic elements. Some character and genre archetypes are just good and are defining elements of anime and manga. But there's like nothing which sets this thing apart from other robot shows, absolutely nothing.

Akame ga Kill! - episode 1

I can definitely see where people like the tone and setting and characters, and it did do a good job at suprising me with the protagonist's actions at the very end of the episode.

I've just never liked antagonists that live two lives, putting on a good public face and then being over the top violently evil in private. They're just so uninteresting and unrealistic to me I guess. Reading things here sounds like that's the biggest part of the whole show, which really turns me off to the whole thing.

If you're going to make a boring, pure evil antagonist then I expect it to be like Sailor Moon, where they waste the absolute minimal amount of time possible on the antagonist's backstory. The downfall of most dark/violent anime is that they typically spend far too much time on these boring antagonists. I think that's the main reason I typically say I hate dark/violent anime but absolutely loved Attack on Titan.

I like the style! What's it about?

If you enjoy diabeetus and zero drama love comedies, this is for you. Basically the story follows Takeo (the big guy in the image) and his blooming romance with a moe girl called Yamato. A large part of the comedy centers around his super manliness and him being the complete opposite of standard romance manga. In fact, his best friend is the super pretty boy who all the girls fawn over (besides the lead who is head over heels for Takeo).

It thrives in not following standard tropes and just being a good time and a laugh. The best friend doesn't develop feelings for the gilrfriend at one point, there are no romantic rivals, nothing. Just a good romantic comedy full of diabeetus. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom