• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Barakamon 01

D'awwwwwwwwwww. Want to keep up with this one, but knowing me I'll watch it all in two days when the season's over.

Clov

Just a love story between a gorilla-looking dude and his adorable girlfriend. It's clever, hilarious, cute, no bullshit you usually find in other shoujo manga.. Best shoujo in years.

If you enjoy diabeetus and zero drama love comedies, this is for you. Basically the story follows Takeo (the big guy in the image) and his blooming romance with a moe girl called Yamato. A large part of the comedy centers around his super manliness and him being the complete opposite of standard romance manga. In fact, his best friend is the super pretty boy who all the girls fawn over (besides the lead who is head over heels for Takeo).

It thrives in not following standard tropes and just being a good time and a laugh. The best friend doesn't develop feelings for the gilrfriend at one point, there are no romantic rivals, nothing. Just a good romantic comedy full of diabeetus. Highly recommended.

This sounds like something I'd love! I might give it a read soon.

fertygo

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - 01

I like this, quite funny and pretty fun.. and its seem gonna get funnier when the cast get merrier.

I have feeling firehawk will write hate post for this tho lol, this season kawaisou etc.

Crocodile

Wait Iwasaki is doing the OST for Akame no Kill (or however its spelled)?

Interest +100

Current interest levels for that show: 101 :p

cajunator

Banned
If you dont like Usagi's voice now youll hate it forever because she is ALWAYS like that.

I just saw No Game No Life, the entire season.

When's Season 2? I actually really enjoyed it except the hint of incest.

Yeah it was a pleasant surprise last season. Wishing for more.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon Crystal - episode 1

I like magical girl animes but never got around to Sailor Moon, so I'm excited to jump in here. Thus far they've done a fantasitic job at stroking the nostaliga strings just in the 90s anime vibe it gives, but otherwise I don't know about about this. In 2014 it all seems excessively generic and simplistic. I guess it's hard to go back to the original after seeing what so many different studios have done playing with that original formula.

Also I can't stand Sailor Moon's constantly screaming voice.
The old anime was an extremely loose adaptation of the original manga, while Crystal is extremely close to the source material. They're pretty much entirely separate entities.

Sabagebu! 1

First 3 minutes

hZjTjhhl.jpg

Not sure how shonen Tokyo Ghoul turns, but as 3edgy5me as Akami Ga Kill is it still follows pretty standard battle shonen tropes. Also there's a harem formula to it as well. I still enjoy it though.

I mention it whenever the neccesity arrives, but I don't solely recommend this and only this. There's a lot of great shit out there.

Somewhere. Out thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Einbroch

Banned
Also watched No Game No Life from start to finish this weekend.

Really like the artstyle, with the red outlines and neon color scheme. Don't know if this is a style from the studio or whatever, I'm a pretty passive anime watcher, but it was a joy to just take in the sights. The characters were entertaining. Some people will probably say there's some hinting at incest or whatever, but I don't see it. It's just two people who trust each other completely and have (supposedly) been through hell and back together. It's not a romantic love. But that's neither here nor there. The world is also something that I'm really into. Love MMO themes with factions, races, racial abilities, war, etc. It's maybe cliche, but it's super fun.

Fanservice was a bit much for me, but nothing gross or off-putting. A minor gripe was that some of the rules weren't really explained or maybe they just went over my head in some of the games. No magic is allowed but the girl went (end of season spoilers)
full demon fox thing
in the game? Also, the "logic" was too convenient at times. Oh so you knew she'd be standing at this exact spot? Six inches left or right and the whole plan unraveled.

But those are minor complaints for a show I really enjoyed. I'm glad I ordered my Shiro figure a month or so ago. The figure's the thing that got me to watch the show! Can't wait for season two.

cajunator

Banned
Also watched No Game No Life from start to finish this weekend.

Really like the artstyle, with the red outlines and neon color scheme. Don't know if this is a style from the studio or whatever, I'm a pretty passive anime watcher, but it was a joy to just take in the sights. The characters were entertaining. Some people will probably say there's some hinting at incest or whatever, but I don't see it. It's just two people who trust each other completely and have (supposedly) been through hell and back together. It's not a romantic love. But that's neither here nor there. The world is also something that I'm really into. Love MMO themes with factions, races, racial abilities, war, etc. It's maybe cliche, but it's super fun.

Fanservice was a bit much for me, but nothing gross or off-putting. A minor gripe was that some of the rules weren't really explained or maybe they just went over my head in some of the games. No magic is allowed but the girl went (end of season spoilers)
full demon fox thing
in the game? Also, the "logic" was too convenient at times. Oh so you knew she'd be standing at this exact spot? Six inches left or right and the whole plan unraveled.

But those are minor complaints for a show I really enjoyed. I'm glad I ordered my Shiro figure a month or so ago. The figure's the thing that got me to watch the show! Can't wait for season two.

Well it was a videogame and Blank never loses those. Shiro was doing calculations so it wasnt out of the realm of possibility for that to happen.

Hugstable

Banned
Locodol Episode 1

I'm not too familiar with Idol shows outside of Love Live, but I thought this was a really cute episode and the whole little show they put on was pretty fun as Nyanako just kinda fumbled around alot. I really like the animation so far.

Shows over Nanako dead.
jk

Will check out next weeks. Gonna watch Aldnoah in about 2 hours or so.

Locodol Episode 1

I'm not too familiar with Idol shows outside of Love Live, but I thought this was a really cute episode and the whole little show they put on was pretty fun as Nyanako just kinda fumbled around alot. I really like the animation so far.

Shows over Nanako dead.
jk

if you're developing an affinity for idol shows, then you need to watch The Idolm@ster.

Mokoi

Banned
Locodol Episode 1

Shows over Nanako dead.
jk

Yeah you should watch the idolm@s I been liking it so far. Just don't forgot your roots and betray LL.

Akame Ga Kill 1

Wow that was really good, really knew nothing and was expecting nothing but was pretty blown away. Agree with Shard this has future Toonami property written all over it. I really like Akame and her flash between super serious and moe annoyed faces really worked for me. Was actually impressed the MC was able to
man the fuck up and kill the girl, glad he did made me like him 10x more then I had up to that point

Soma

Akame Ga Kill Ep. 1

Pretty basic adaption. Mood whiplash everywhere.

More than anything it reminded me of simpler times of when (MANGA SPOILERZ)
Schere was still alive. Probably the only death that made me salty.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun Episode 1

Way too romancy at times and kind of annoying with the same back and forth happening multiple times. 23 minutes was hard to get through, thankfully, imagining Nozaki-kun and replacing his image (why so tall and aged?) with an image of Tatsuya Shiba, made it bearable, was considering dropping but then
tumblr_n8b5j2Qf4E1s3tuy9o5_500.png

So now the urge to stick around with the anime is rising. Such a fantastic design and even red haired too, its like the writer felt great inspiration from other characters. His voice is great, perfect personality, the roses in the OP even and sparkles. I cant wait for more, and he sounds hilarious character too.

Horimiya is another one that deserves an adaptation as even when there's drama it's very little. In fact it's more likely to get an adaptation over Ore Monogatari since the male lead isn't a gorilla.

edit: huh. So THAT'S what watching Nozaki-kun through DTL goggles is like.

Narag

Aldnoah Zero 1

well that was some garbo dialogue. Hope ti gets better because this was a fairly weak start.

As far as the generational talk, has accelerated cloning or some such been put forth as a theory yet? Seems like it'd make more sense than time travel stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun Episode 1

Way too romancy at times and kind of annoying with the same back and forth happening multiple times. 23 minutes was hard to get through, thankfully, imagining Nozaki-kun and replacing his image (why so tall and aged?) with an image of Tatsuya Shiba, made it bearable, was considering dropping but then
tumblr_n8b5j2Qf4E1s3tuy9o5_500.png

So now the urge to stick around with the anime is rising. Such a fantastic design and even red haired too, its like the writer felt great inspiration from other characters. His voice is great, perfect personality, the roses in the OP even and sparkles. I cant wait for more, and he sounds hilarious character too.

This is the show with that cutie girl in it. You should post a pic of her.

CorvoSol

If you actually go back and watch the bus scene in Aldnoah.Zero again, which I don't suppose you suggest you do, you'll find that not only does some of it not make any sense at all but every single line from every single character is basically exposition of one sort of another.

The worst offender in that scene, besides what I mentioned ysterday, is that the way the scene opens. It beings with this girl conveniently reading an e-book that covers the major historical events that have happened in this universe - but there's no reason given for the scene to begin this way. She just reads some stuff from this book - stuff that's so basic that they would already all know (think of a teenager today and 9/11 or some other major event) and they don't even throw in a line to explain why she's reading this stuff. They could have just said she was revising for an exam, or brushing up on dates, or something, but no, it's literally naked exposition. She just dumps the info and then the next character dumps some more info.

So I'm guessing I should not check out Aldnoah, then? Lord only knows that Captain Earth has been doing too much talking and not enough robot fighting. Guess they wanted to be a Gundam killer in the sense that they aimed to compete on who could have more inane and insane talk sessions?

Narag

So I'm guessing I should not check out Aldnoah, then? Lord only knows that Captain Earth has been doing too much talking and not enough robot fighting. Guess they wanted to be a Gundam killer in the sense that they aimed to compete on who could have more inane and insane talk sessions?

Martian mechs look pretty awesome fwiw! It's just this is like the first ep of Fate/Zero or Gargantia with this incessant need to set up every last thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 1

As far as the generational talk, has accelerated cloning or some such been put forth as a theory yet? Seems like it'd make more sense than time travel stuff.

There are a lot of things that would make it possible. Accelerated cloning is indeed one in that they have shortened lifespans. The big war itself might have wiped out a lot of Martians.

Think of the most inhumane thing possible, chances are it's that.

Martian mechs look pretty awesome fwiw! It's just this is like the first ep of Fate/Zero or Gargantia with this incessant need to set up every last thing.

The episode is much better than Gargantia and F/Z's opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom