• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Ninja Slayer]

From what I gathered, the series pretty much is a parody. "This is how Americans view Japan and Ninja! (And use awkward Japanese language!)"

I always assumed it was americans getting ridiculous anime grimdark right, and making ninja badasses again. Instead of Naruto.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kSiVmWLl.jpg

Did anyone else here grab Mockingbird's posters? I finally picked up a portfolio so I could actually take them out of the tube and they look great in person. The Kiki one really pops in person because of the red.

So my summer anime list so far is from best to worst based upon just one episode

Space Dandy S2
Akame Ga Kill
Sailor Moon Crystal
SAO S2
Argevollen
Aldnoah Zero

To check out

Psycho Pass New Edition (never saw the original)
Tokyo ESP (looks interesting)
Zankyou no terror (looks interesting, plus it's Wantabe)

Spring carry overs

Stardust Crusaders
Majin Bone
Irregular At Magic High
Captain Earth

Dropped

DRAMAtical murder

Probably good but not interested in

Nozaki Kun (don't care about romance/comedy/harem shit regardless of how good it is)
Persona 4 Anime (haven't played the game, will probably check out once I do)

Harem/romance/comedy/slice of life is generally the most boring combination of genres every, I'll watch the occasional one like Silver Spoon or Usagi Drop but 90% of the time I'd rather watch a shitty action/shonen series over a decent-good harem/romance/comedy/sol.

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking of maps, this is what the Earth looks like after Heaven's Fall. The Western Hemisphere took the brunt of it.

i.imgur.com/8vl8jUp.jpg

Edit:I can't embed shit on my phone.

GAF, hold me. I don't know how I forgot that Yama no Susume season 2 was airing this season, and the episodes are FIFTEEN GODDAMN MINUTES LONG compared to season 1's THREE minute episodes.

I thought I was going to have a severe lack of Iyashikei this season but then Barakamon ended up being awesome and I already know I can count on Yama no Susume. I hope Hanayamata also ends up being good. Then I'll actually have more Iyashikei in a season than I think I've ever had before.

Jintor

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun 1

Yesssss they didn't fuck it upppppppppppppppp

Glorious OP, okay ED

Voices are excellent. I think the visuals are really impressive actually, especially the backgrounds. There's pretty much no animation for bg crowds and stuff but it seems to work pretty well anyway just because of the composition of scenes.

Erigu

I always assumed it was americans getting ridiculous anime grimdark right, and making ninja badasses again. Instead of Naruto.
Well, ninja in Naruto are... let's be nice and say "very much their own thing". The series gets quite a lot of criticism regarding that from Japan itself as well. ^^;

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has excellent source material to work with, but the pacing of the episode really bothered me. Too much build-up for the jokes, I think, though some of the jokes were really good (like the shoujo manga situation with a four-seat bicycle).

Hope they nail the comedic timing better in the next episodes! I love Tsubaki's work.

Jintor

I felt like the second half the episode dragged a little, but the build-up to the ultimate joke (about Sakura wussing out) was pretty incredible.

Like the thing with the cat went from 'lol' to 'this is kinda drawn out' to 'holy shit they just mobbed him as a background gag'

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Start talking! I'm genuinely interested.

Not kidding
I'm not someone capable of explaining it in-depth anyways. Basically there's no acknowledgement of topography. Some asshole just carved out slices of a poorly traced map to make the world seem war torn. Some of the world's largest mountain ranges have been completely wiped off the map, and such large chunks of land mass have been erased that the possibility of the sea level remaining consistent throughout the rest of the world is pretty laughable. Certain pieces of landmass that carry extremely high elevation are completely missing but lowlands closer to the ocean are still in tact. If the missing points are just residual damage from attacks the target locations are pretty nonsensical, unless Martians simply have an unquenchable and irrational hatred for Australians.
Yeah I'm gonna want some explanation on that chief
woah dude, how could i ever stand to tear down the rich tapestry of aldnoah lore?

Kvik

Akame ga Kiru this season! Aw yeah :)

Esdese ♥

Also Gekkan Shoujo is one of my favourite manga, so I'll definitely watch that.

Still not sold on Aldnoah though, hopefully it won't devolve into another Valvrave situation :-\

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks. I wonder if they're going to discuss the power imbalance between the countries. It would seem that Russia or China would be the only superpower with so much of the US being wiped out.
I expect in this anime, Japan is mysteriously in charge!

Narag

If the missing points are just residual damage from attacks the target locations are pretty nonsensical, unless Martians simply have an unquenchable and irrational hatred for Australians.

Initially just assumed high population centers were nailed, Australia joke you made had me realize it might just be a nod to Gundam's colony drop on Australia since they want this whole Gundam vibe.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not someone capable of explaining it in-depth anyways. Basically there's no acknowledgement of topography. Some asshole just carved out slices of a poorly traced map to make the world seem war torn. Some of the world's largest mountain ranges have been completely wiped off the map, and such large chunks of land mass have been erased that the possibility of the sea level remaining consistent throughout the rest of the world is pretty laughable. Certain pieces of landmass that carry extremely high elevation are completely missing but lowlands closer to the ocean are still in tact. If the missing points are just residual damage from attacks the target locations are pretty nonsensical, unless Martians simply have an unquenchable and irrational hatred for Australians.

It's really hard to assess the damage in a realistic frame without knowing if debris from the moon crashed into the Earth.

Initially just assumed high population centers were nailed, Australia joke you made had me realize it might just be a nod to Gundam's colony drop on Australia since they want this whole Gundam vibe.

Nobody cares about Australia lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you were targeting densely populated areas you would attack India, Europe, China, or Japan.

Jintor

they were probably terrified of the wildlife

east coast is the population center of australia, so maybe they do just hate aussies

woah dude, how could i ever stand to tear down the rich tapestry of aldnoah lore?

So what you're saying is that the image would not be possible in the real world... but how is it stupid in context of a science fiction alternate reality anime where inner stellar flight is possible and mech suits are things that people use to fight wars with. It's called fiction for a reason, of course such a world map wouldn't be possible in the real world, nothing in the series is possible in the real world. You're looking waaaaaaay too in depth on something that really shouldn't be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom