• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The show mentions earthquakes from the moon blowing up, so I assume fragments hit the earth causing the earthquakes as I don't believe the moon imploding in of itself would cause earthquakes. Australia might have simply just gotten unlucky.

Maybe they just watched Oblivion and believed the bullshit there. :p

So if you watched 1 episode of a show, and then had it on hold for like 9 months would you rewatch the first episode or just say f it and continue from where you left off?

Superflat

So if you watched 1 episode of a show, and then had it on hold for like 9 months would you rewatch the first episode or just say f it and continue from where you left off?

If it's just one ep, I'd say watch it again, unless it's still somehow incredibly vivid in your head. But chances are you're still missing stuff unless you rewatch it.

you're the reason for the star wars text dumps.

YOU COMMUNIST.

Those text dumps saved us all. SAVED US ALL I TELL YOU

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I will always rewatch a show from episode 1 if its been a few months. Find it way too jarring to jump into something midway unless the structure of the show is really episodic or its a sports anime or whatever.

This is why there are episode summaries on wikipedia.
I'd actually probably rewatch it or at least scrub through the first episode.

Instro

Sorry the first episode of Fate/Zero is still bad. Even if the rest of the series isn't.
It had its merits and drawbacks, the end result was a serviceable episode with interesting characters and plotting held back by lethargic pacing and unnecessary info dumping. However, as I argued back then, the episode worked for me on the strength of its material, atmosphere, and characters, all of which helped draw me into the show. While its by no means a great episode it does the job of setting up the show and providing a framework for future story threads.For me it was largely a success, but this was certainly an episode were I understood both point of views in terms of quality.

e_i

Barakamon episode 1

I just want to hug Naru to death, she's soooo adorable. All shows need a crazy little girl.

Akame Ga Kill 1

As edgy as this anime is I still enjoyed it. It seems all lighthearted but naw it's bloody as hell. But damn are some of the people corrupt as hell, torturing and killing people for the sake of having fun. This makes Black Bullet corrupted people seem like push overs. I mean this little psychotic brat tortured a girl because she had silky hair. And the mom fuckin wrote in her diary about these tortures. Damn so freakin sadistic. I also appreciated the MC Tatsumi for doing what he did, he maned up.

The OST is great and I also liked the cat eared assassin.

Hard for me to choose between Sharo and Cocoa. Life is tough ;_;

The episode where Cocoa had a string of bad luck cemented my love for her. So I'mma say Cocoa.

Akame Ga Kill 1

As edgy as this anime is I still enjoyed it. It seems all lighthearted but naw it's bloody as hell. But damn are some of the people corrupt as hell, torturing and killing people for the sake of having fun. This makes Black Bullet corrupted people seem like push overs. I mean this little psychotic brat tortured a girl because she had silky hair. And the mom fuckin wrote in her diary about these tortures. Damn so freakin sadistic. I also appreciated the MC Tatsumi for doing what he did, he maned up.

The OST is great and I also liked the cat eared assassin.

I've been reading this manga since it first started being scanlated and I was rolling my eyes the entire first chapter thinking Tatsumi was gonna end up being this dude who was like "the heart" of a group of assassins and wouldn't kill or whatnot. Tatsumi killing that little girl made me love Akame ga Kill, as bad as that sounds.

jman2050

Okay so I actually looked at that map and I gotta side with dimb on this one, that whole thing is just silly. It's almost as silly as Code Geass's political backstory.

Hugstable

Banned
. All shows need a crazy little girl.

DJAfLI1.png

lol

I rewatched episode 1. At least, that's what I did with AKB0048. Then I realized why I only watched the first episode of AKB0048 the first time around and then dropped the show again.

Hattori

Banned
AnimeGAF would be a better place if everyone just watch Barakamon and analyze the Falcon Punch and how realistic (or unrealistic) the old man's trajectory after the fact was.

Kvik

I've been reading this manga since it first started being scanlated and I was rolling my eyes the entire first chapter thinking Tatsumi was gonna end up being this dude who was like "the heart" of a group of assassins and wouldn't kill or whatnot. Tatsumi killing that little girl made me love Akame ga Kill, as bad as that sounds.

I like the fact that they didn't shy away from
killing any of the main characters, or even building a nice, relatable back story for a character, and have them killed a few chapters later

The episode where Cocoa had a string of bad luck cemented my love for her. So I'mma say Cocoa.

I was hasta la vista bitch, so happy. At least I know now that Tatsumi isn't a goody two shoes.

I like the fact that they didn't shy away from
killing any of the main characters, or even building a nice, relatable back story for a character, and have them killed a few chapters later

To be honest,
it's time to start getting worried about a character BECAUSE they started giving them a back story / making them likeable, lol. Schere's death hurt me a lot. Each one after that didn't hurt quite as much, thankfully. Except for the assassin who could disguise themselves as other people/animals. I really loved her. ;________;

Andrew J.

Rail Wars 01

Tries to do too much at once, and doesn't succeed at anything as a result. Not enough fighting for an action show, not enough goofy hijinks for a slice of life show, not trashy enough for a fanservice show (I've got no problems with trashy fanservice if the show's upfront about it; I'm damn sure watching the next Highschool DxD season).

Maybe it has enough train jargon and trivia to satisfy that particular brand of nerd, but I wouldn't know. Dropped.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Goddammit. Caught this on a whim even though I'm watching too many shows already, and it turns out to be the most promising new romantic comedy since Ouran Host Club.
Can't very well ignore it now.

Well, AX is over. I had a good time, though I wish I could have done a lot more. Hanging out with friends and extreme lines made my time really limited, and as a result, things like industry panels took a back seat. Picked up a few things from the exhibit hall including my first cel and a couple new Conan figures. They really ought to consider moving to a larger convention center; it's entirely too small for the amount of people that are packed in there.

The LACC is fine. They have a LOT of room that they're currently not using for anything but stuffing people who wanted to get a premiere badge for 2015 for four hours in.

I need to start catching up on the new summer series that I missed out on.

Firemind

You're hilariously hostile about this lol

I get it, you didn't find it funny.

I don't like most anime nowadays, unfortunately. It's like I've grown an aversion to anime. An animephobia if you will. Perhaps it's because of the desensitization over the years. Shows try to derive their jokes from the same material: sight gags, double acts, puns, misunderstandings, blushing, lewd acts. I haven't seen a clever comedy since Tatami Galaxy. Or a so-dumb-it's-actually-funny since Milky Holmes S1. It's like Japanese writers think comedy should adhere to a formula. There is no definite formula to make people laugh. You're either funny or you're not. This is why stand-up comedians have one of the toughest jobs in the world. Ask Jerry Seinfeld.

jesus man did the anime shit in your cereal while gut punching your mother?

This is why I post here.

Kvik

To be honest,
it's time to start getting worried about a character BECAUSE they started giving them a back story / making them likeable, lol. Schere's death hurt me a lot. Each one after that didn't hurt quite as much, thankfully. Except for the assassin who could disguise themselves as other people/animals. I really loved her. ;________;

Mine's
confession raised all sort of death flags for me, I daren't read past that chapter yet, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
The LACC is fine. They have a LOT of room that they're currently not using for anything but stuffing people who wanted to get a premiere badge for 2015 for four hours in.

I need to start catching up on the new summer series that I missed out on.

No it's not. The hallways are too narrow.

Funimation, you may be right, and that may be a cow, but can you please let me watch more than 13 seconds of Space Dandy so I can hear Dandy's explanation to why this cow is so special.
... Why do I even pay for this service again. Crunchyroll gives me less problems, and they have apps I can use to boot.

No no, SAO and Log Horizon airing during the same season will bring about hell as we know it
Note to self, buy popcorn

Definitely rewatch the first episode.. or at least the first 5 minutes of it to see if any of it comes back.

I usually just continue from where I left off (but I've done this even when it's been like 2-3 years after watching the first two or three episodes and saying "I'll watch the next one tomorrow"). But I tend to have a really good memory for those sorts of things, so I never really have any trouble picking something back up in the middle.

Funimation, you may be right, and that may be a cow, but can you please let me watch more than 13 seconds of Space Dandy so I can hear Dandy's explanation to why this cow is so special.
... Why do I even pay for this service again. Crunchyroll gives me less problems, and they have apps I can use to boot.

CR was pretty terrible yesterday.

cajunator

Banned
Hard for me to choose between Sharo and Cocoa. Life is tough ;_;

i know. It really is.

It had its merits and drawbacks, the end result was a serviceable episode with interesting characters and plotting held back by lethargic pacing and unnecessary info dumping. However, as I argued back then, the episode worked for me on the strength of its material, atmosphere, and characters, all of which helped draw me into the show. While its by no means a great episode it does the job of setting up the show and providing a framework for future story threads.For me it was largely a success, but this was certainly an episode were I understood both point of views in terms of quality.

That episode worked for me. I like expositional episodes though. It really helped to understand who the players were.

Quasar

Harem/romance/comedy/slice of life is generally the most boring combination of genres every, I'll watch the occasional one like Silver Spoon or Usagi Drop but 90% of the time I'd rather watch a shitty action/shonen series over a decent-good harem/romance/comedy/sol.

Thats pretty much the direct opposite of me. I tend to steer way clear of even supposedly good action/shonen shows as I tend to not like them (such as with Attack on Titan...though I did like Knights of Sidonia), whilst I more likely to enjoy most romance/comedy/sliceoflife/shojou anime. Which I guess explains my hummingbird summary.

Of course part of it is also the silliness of genre classifications of anime sites.

I'd laugh if it ends up causing more arguments than SAO or Mahouka.

How? There's no little sister character (yet) that can ruin everything with really creepy incest plotlines.

Also Log Horizon was awful. Really juvenile humor, and fuck that subplot with little girl
wanting Shiroe to ram his dick into her.
And fuck Akatsuki. Shitty "Strong" female character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom