• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I don't like most anime nowadays, unfortunately. It's like I've grown an aversion to anime. An animephobia if you will. Perhaps it's because of the desensitization over the years. Shows try to derive their jokes from the same material: sight gags, double acts, puns, misunderstandings, blushing, lewd acts. I haven't seen a clever comedy since Tatami Galaxy. Or a so-dumb-it's-actually-funny since Milky Holmes S1. It's like Japanese writers think comedy should adhere to a formula. There is no definite formula to make people laugh. You're either funny or you're not. This is why stand-up comedians have one of the toughest jobs in the world. Ask Jerry Seinfeld.

This is why I post here.

Have you watched Galaxy Angel?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh man, the glory that gekkan shoujo nozaki kun is starting already?

Might be the first anime I follow concurrently for years now.

santeesioux

Darn, i'll have to stick the Persona 4 anime in the backlog until i play the game. At least CR picked it up.

Also, there's too many good shows on the weekend this season.

I don't like most anime nowadays, unfortunately. It's like I've grown an aversion to anime. An animephobia if you will. Perhaps it's because of the desensitization over the years. Shows try to derive their jokes from the same material: sight gags, double acts, puns, misunderstandings, blushing, lewd acts. I haven't seen a clever comedy since Tatami Galaxy. Or a so-dumb-it's-actually-funny since Milky Holmes S1. It's like Japanese writers think comedy should adhere to a formula. There is no definite formula to make people laugh. You're either funny or you're not. This is why stand-up comedians have one of the toughest jobs in the world. Ask Jerry Seinfeld.

This is why I post here.

You need to watch Gintama, it will surely make you laugh unless you don't have a sense of humor.

Akame ga Kill 1

Didn't really feel the tone shifts as much as I would have liked. More effective direction could have made those hit hard.

The censorship, while relatively unobtrusive, doesn't give me much hope for more bleak future events. The introduction to the
shed
was quite a bit more disturbing in the manga. You look at this page alone and you immediately know how fucked up the city is. Again though, I'm going to fault the direction for this more than the censorship, even if I was disappointed
Sayo wasn't in as bad a shape as she was in the manga.

That being said, it is nice to see one of my current favorites animated, and it's a pretty faithful adaptation so far. Hoping White Fox can at least pull off the better fights and particularly edgy stuff when they get to that.

Pri Para 1

8c4c3f50af.jpg

Girls get tickets to become idols when they come of age. It's like when little boys and girls are allowed to go hunt for Pokemon when they turn 10, even though they break the shit out of those rules by having preschoolers attempt to beat you up.

Of course, it's not specific girls for these Tickets. Every girl is given an opportunity with these tickets, which leads me to believe that it is a euphemism for puberty. Right down to locking them down and killing the hopes and dreams with a massive drill for hair.

And purple the Lala is apparently loud. It's as if she was my sister, and the mother was my mother, because they're both pretty fucking loud. Unlike other idol animes that I've watched though, there are actually... mascot characters prevalent in this show. It's really weird. I wonder how Lala will keep her ticket since she ended up performing because Mirelle's plan came to plan. ALSO PRISM VOICE!

Thats pretty much the direct opposite of me. I tend to steer way clear of even supposedly good action/shonen shows as I tend to not like them (such as with Attack on Titan...though I did like Knights of Sidonia), whilst I more likely to enjoy most romance/comedy/sliceoflife/shojou anime. Which I guess explains my hummingbird summary.

Link : Image

Of course part of it is also the silliness of genre classifications of anime sites.

Yeah, as a whole it's pretty good, though it does make some baffling choices like classifying Naruto Shippuden as an action/comedy series or Kirby Right back at ya as a Parody series

<_<

How? There's no little sister character (yet) that can ruin everything with really creepy incest plotlines.

Also Log Horizon was awful. Really juvenile humor, and fuck that subplot with little girl
wanting Shiroe to ram his dick into her.
And fuck Akatsuki. Shitty "Strong" female character.

You must of eaten a salty burrito dude. Log Horizon was great, it had some nice character interactions, world building, and politics. I mean i know people have different opinions but awful, you have hit the wrong mark.

Mecha

A big reason why I steer clear of romance and slice of life anime.

cajunator

Banned
Pri Para 1

Girls get tickets to become idols when they come of age. It's like when little boys and girls are allowed to go hunt for Pokemon when they turn 10, even though they break the shit out of those rules by having preschoolers attempt to beat you up.

Of course, it's not specific girls for these Tickets. Every girl is given an opportunity with these tickets, which leads me to believe that it is a euphemism for puberty. Right down to locking them down and killing the hopes and dreams with a massive drill for hair.

And purple the Lala is apparently loud. It's as if she was my sister, and the mother was my mother, because they're both pretty fucking loud. Unlike other idol animes that I've watched though, there are actually... mascot characters prevalent in this show. It's really weird. I wonder how Lala will keep her ticket since she ended up performing because Mirelle's plan came to plan. ALSO PRISM VOICE!

This looks too cute.
These damned idol shows are just too cute!

Akame ga Kill 1

Didn't really feel the tone shifts as much as I would have liked. More effective direction could have made those hit hard.

The censorship, while relatively unobtrusive, doesn't give me much hope for more bleak future events. The introduction to the
shed
was quite a bit more disturbing in the manga. You look at this page alone and you immediately know how fucked up the city is. Again though, I'm going to fault the direction for this more than the censorship, even if I was disappointed
Sayo wasn't in as bad a shape as she was in the manga.

That being said, it is nice to see one of my current favorites animated, and it's a pretty faithful adaptation so far. Hoping White Fox can at least pull off the better fights and particularly edgy stuff when they get to that.

Yeah, the shed and
Sayo
made me sick to my stomach in the manga. Not as bad in the anime, and actually I'm thankful for that.

tt1v3jgb.jpg

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories S2 1

Hahahahaha the creepy puppet losing his arm and the cop trying to shake him off.

Was the S1 stories this entertaining?

I only watched this on a whim because it was just a short but if the previous episodes were this good, I'm willing to give the rest a shot.

Hattori

Banned
http://a.pomf.se/vydjeo.webm

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories S2 1

Hahahahaha the creepy puppet losing his arm and the cop trying to shake him off.

Was the S1 stories this entertaining?

I only watched this on a whim because it was just a short but if the previous episodes were this good, I'm willing to give the rest a shot.
Watch the rest, they range from somewhat funny to downright genuinely creepy.

Jintor

the one thing that really irritated me about log horizon was that stupid recurring joke where the tank says something lewd and then akatsuki drop-kicks him into the horizon while everyone mugs furiously

we get it yo

After much hibernation, I think I'm ready to get back into anime. Which means I'll be posting in here again. Seeing duckroll crack down on some of the shit in the last thread has made me more interested in returning. I haven't changed too much since my previous departure from this community, but I'll leave again if I find myself becoming a total asshole again. Still, expect plenty of pessimism. negativity, and misanthropy. :D With the exception of a certain character, I do feel bad about those I wronged here in the past. I don't want to make unnecessary drama, but I thought it would be bad for me to pop back in here without acknowledging the past.

Fate/Zero ep. 1

I wasn't prepared for how clunky the exposition is. So, so bad. (The discussion about "Butch dialogue" may or may not have inclined me to finally watch this.) I really don't think I'm going to like how women are depicted in this series, unless this has been a poor indicator. :| Submissive women left and right,
rape worms
, etc. I know the general quality gets better past the first episode, so I'm going to stick with it.

On another note, I started a free trial of Crunchyroll and the PS3 app is crap. Damn 720p streaming ghetto. I know you can get 1080p through a computer, but my laptop doesn't handle HD Flash video too well for whatever reason. :\

Dead

well not really...yet
After much hibernation, I think I'm ready to get back into anime. Which means I'll be posting in here again. Seeing duckroll crack down on some of the shit in the last thread has made me more interested in returning. I haven't changed too much since my previous departure from this community, but I'll leave again if I find myself becoming a total asshole again. Still, expect plenty of pessimism. negativity, and misanthropy. :D With the exception of a certain character, I do feel bad about those I wronged here in the past. I don't want to make unnecessary drama, but I thought it would be bad for me to pop back in here without acknowledging the past.

Fate/Zero ep. 1

I wasn't prepared for how clunky the exposition is. So, so bad. (The discussion about "Butch dialogue" may or may not have inclined me to finally watch this.) I really don't think I'm going to like how women are depicted in this series, unless this has been a poor indicator. :| Submissive women left and right,
rape worms
, etc. I know the general quality gets better past the first episode, so I'm going to stick with it.

On another note, I started a free trial of Crunchyroll and the PS3 app is crap. Damn 720p streaming ghetto. I know you can get 1080p through a computer, but my laptop doesn't handle HD Flash video too well for whatever reason. :\
crunchyroll on apple TV looks pretty damn good.

Superflat

Akame ga Kill! episode 1

It's definitely got that "edgy", manipulative writing as people have said. I can't really find "Perfectly normal people are revealed to be the worst people on earth" scenarios to be interesting or shocking unless the execution is brilliant. In this case it felt pretty lame.

The first episode's pacing was ridiculously fast with lots of characters, it was kind of blistering lol. And most of them just served as a throw-away excuses to induct the main lead into the actual story. Not really digging the crazy mood/tonal shifts either.

If the anime has grey themes and plays with the concept of justice, it could be pretty interesting. The production values look pretty good, even if I think the colors and some renderings to be gaudy looking. Will keep watching, at least for a bit.

mankoto

Sabagebu! 1
I absolutely needed this after the AnoHana movie. This was pretty funny considering how many times it broke the 4th wall and things like this
qs4sVPV.png

This was great. It does remind me though, I never finished C3-bu. I should get to that.

Ryuuroden

So what else is good to watch this season? Watching SAO for Firehawk, Aldnoah for urobutcher and Free for DTL.

Terror In Tokyo for Watanabe, Kanno, and Nakazawa plus its on Noitamina and is being animated by MAPPA (Mappa is to Madhouse what Trigger is to Gainax)

Sabagebu! 01

Generic OP.

This being the 23rd show to be about all girls airsoft clubs (oh wait this is a survival game club) so obviously it would need something special to make me watch it right?
Well I have really low standards and am super easy to win over when it comes to these kinds of shows, so no.

I like the narrators' attitude and how silly the show is. I will continue watching this but I don't expect to watch it fully. Also they had toast in mouth while running to school, take THAT Sailor Moon Crystal!

Also getting some :sdburton vibes. But it's an ALL GIRLS SCHOOL so of course.

cajunator

Banned

Fate/Zero ep. 1

rape worms

On another note, I started a free trial of Crunchyroll and the PS3 app is crap. Damn 720p streaming ghetto. I know you can get 1080p through a computer, but my laptop doesn't handle HD Flash video too well for whatever reason. :

Fair enough. Let bygones be bygones.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
720p is fine for anime.

kiryogi

Banned
If you really want a good time look up the thread history after the first episode of Fate/Zero.

duckroll and only a handful of others were vindicated.

(even though duckroll himself wrote off the show before hand because ufotable was involved)

Huh, I thought he wrote it off because lol Nasu, Fate/Stay Night.

when will anime ever be done native 1080p?

10 years? 20?

Sabagebu! 1

well its better than the last survival game anime with girls. Reminds me of that anime with the pink lucky girl and the shinigami, forget the name.

Hey cajun, you get any further in Gundam Build Fighters? I got through the first 22 episodes this weekend in addition to all the new shit I was watching. I feel accomplished. :D

Sword Art Online - the rest of it

So yeah, I marathoned through episodes 23 to 25 just now. I finished SAO.

I'll start off with the little good that this show has. I think that it&#8217;s very well animated. Seeing the swords clash in motion was really cool to look at. The music during most of these action sequences was solid as well. I especially liked the one with the choir that played during the boss fights.

I also liked the side characters. Klein, Lisbeth, and Agil had fun little personalities when they showed up. It makes me wish they were main characters.

That's one of the show's big problems. While they&#8217;re fun little characters, &#8220;side&#8221; really is the word. These guys barely show up. The show pushes all these other people aside so it can focus on its boring and uninteresting main characters Kirito and Asuna.

Nothing about this couple is especially unique or quirky to be enjoyable. What&#8217;s unique about Asuna? Nothing! All that defines her is that she&#8217;s the hero&#8217;s girlfriend and that&#8217;s it! Hell, she gets downgraded to a damsel-in-distress halfway through the series!

The show&#8217;s main character Kirito gets little to no character arc at all. What I mean by this is; the show doesn't allow him to get a character arc. The first five episodes of the show where Kirito is levelling up go by so fast with time-skips that we&#8217;re barely given a chance to take in what&#8217;s going on. Most of the major character development that Kirito&#8217;s going through happens off-screen so the show can lure you in with its super-dramatic moments as soon as it possibly can. It&#8217;s like it&#8217;s afraid if it doesn't make its point about how dangerous SAO is fast, it will lose the viewer&#8217;s attention.

When the show finally slows down a bit and the main romance finally happens, like I said before. The two main characters are so uninteresting that I'm spending more time about how this confusing system of a world is supposed to work and how the government cannot get anybody out of it.

Then the show drops a bomb. When the big bad is defeated and Kirito asks why he did such a horrible thing, the guy calmly replies that it&#8217;s been so long that he forgot. Wuh? How can you forget the reason why you trapped ten thousand people in your little fantasy world and made it so it would fry their brains should they die?

What&#8217;s really infuriating about this is that the show tries so hard to redeem this guy near the show&#8217;s end. They make him the big deus ex machina hero that allows Kirito to save the day! Well, if you&#8217;re going to do that, why&#8217;d you make this guy the big bad that started this whole mess in the first place? They don't even make him give a half-assed apology or whatever! How am I expected to care about what this guy does when he has a giant flashing neon sign over his head that says "I KILLED FOUR THOUSAND PEOPLE."

And speaking of bad villains, the villain of the second arc, Sugou, demonstrates this show&#8217;s lack of subtlety. This guy was introduced for the sole purpose of making the viewer hate him. I've stated before that I found this guy somewhat entertaining because he has the voice of Dio, but then I remembered what made Dio entertaining. Dio was creative with his sinister actions. Dio does things like kick dogs and sadistically tricking a mother into killing her own child. Sugou just does molesty things to Asuna to piss off Kirito. There&#8217;s a really long drawn out scene in episode 24 where Sugou spends like, five minutes doing that in front of Kirito just so the audience can shake their fists in disgust and cheer when Kirito gets the system command features to hurt him badly. He even literally licks her tears. I GET IT. HE'S EVIL. GET ON WITH IT.

There's also incest drama which is bad by default. Not gonna say anything more about that.

And yet&#8230;.ugh. The parts of SAO that are good, I think are really good. The show has just a small handful of cool moments. The fight with the blue demon, the fight with the salamander, the assault on the World Tree! Those little parts were awesome!

But even so, the show spends more time on uninteresting and bad romances, it shoves away its fun side characters, its villains couldn't be more low-grade, and it all just falls apart in general. It&#8217;s a poorly made anime and AnimeGAF was right. I'm glad I watched it though. It feels good to finally get this show off of my back. So now when I tell people not to watch this show, I&#8217;ll have the experience to back it up!

Superflat

I loved it until it started taking itself waaaaaay too seriously. Like holy fuck. Yui Makino should not have been in that role.

Yeah, it shits itself halfway through. It goes back to being fun at the end, but the drama and
weird supernatural stuff
was pretty ridiculous.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it's hard to recommend it without some glaring caveats.

Kvik

Yeah, The Crunchyroll app on PS3 was rubbish, I can't even watch 3 episodes in a row without the damn thing crashing. Thankfully the PS4 app was a little bit better, especially with the recent v1.01 update. (no crashes yet, but sometimes it still does that endless buffering)

Yeah, The Crunchyroll app on PS3 was rubbish, I can't even watch 3 episodes in a row without the damn thing crashing. Thankfully the PS4 app was a little bit better, especially with the recent v1.01 update. (no crashes yet, but sometimes it still does that endless buffering)

When was the last time you used it? They fixed the PS3 app a few weeks ago. It works now! Then they gave me a $10 coupon for the CR store as an apology.

I thought Ducky hyped up FZ?

A duck walked up to an AnimeGAF

Saw the arguments brewing and asked

"Hey-" bum bum bum

"-you like Fate Zero CG?"

AnimeGAF said

"No duckroll, no we don't we hate CG and only care about idols"

and he waddled away waddle waddle, and he waddled away, waddle waddle waddle, till the very next day ba bum ba ba ba badum

Superflat

Sword Art Online - the rest of it

Mostly agree with those crits, though I actually like Kirito and Asuna's relationship building in the first half. The side characters were pushed to the side because well, they were exactly that -- side characters who interacted with Kirito and influenced his early time in Aincrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom