• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

When was the last time you used it? They fixed the PS3 app a few weeks ago. It works now! Then they gave me a $10 coupon for the CR store as an apology.

Cool! I haven't turn on my PS3 in a while (practically since I got my PS4, really.) . I probably should give it a whirl soon, I suppose.

Superflat

I just watched ep 1 of Sailor Moon Crystal.

Is Usagi supposed to sound like that in the original too? I choked on my drink when she started talking because it sounded so bizarre.

I think it's interesting that even the voice direction seems specifically tailored to have a vintage feel.

I actually didn't mind the CG transformation sequence... like at all.

I really want to watch Sailor Moon Crystal to see what's so funny about her voice. If it's as funny as that one youdontsay face she makes in that promotional image Sailor Moon has a new viewer. At least until it stops being amusing.

Is Usagi supposed to sound like that in the original too? I choked on my drink when she started talking because it sounded so bizarre.

I think it's interesting that even the voice direction seems specifically tailored to have a vintage feel.

Well Mitsuishi's the only one who reprises her role as Usagi so yeah it's always sounded like that. I personally don't find it odd, maybe a bit grating when Usagi is being her usual doofus self.

wonzo

Banned
Barakamon 1

barakamon1.jpg

It's nice to see Kinema Citrus working on something nice & lighthearted instead of wasting their talent on tripe like Black Bullet! Even though the the whole "stuckup cityslicker meets relaxed rural bumpkins" has been done to death the rather intriguing cast of characters helped make the first episode a real breeze. More SOL series need to be set in rural Japan.

OP & ED the best of the season so far.

Mostly agree with those crits, though I actually like Kirito and Asuna's relationship building in the first half. The side characters were pushed to the side because well, they were exactly that -- side characters who interacted with Kirito and influenced his early time in Aincrad.

But if they were main characters, they might have been able to develop the other two main characters more by interacting with them.

But anyway though, I'm done talking about SAO for now. The whole thing just made me tired if anything else. I'm just gonna observe as the second season flies by and let firehawk do his thing.

Silver Spoon is already the ultimate rural japan slice of life. Even if it doubles as a high school tale. I appreciate that this won't be another high school sol. So many already.

cajunator

Banned

Yup thats Usagi. If you dont like her voice now you never ever will.

Cool! I haven't turn on my PS3 in a while (practically since I got my PS4, really.) . I probably should give it a whirl soon, I suppose.

Yeah, after months of the PS3 app not working, I fired it up one day on a whim and was prompted to download a new version.

Superflat

Yup thats Usagi. If you dont like her voice now you never ever will.

Can't say I dislike it, I was just totally unprepared lol

All the voices seem to be performed in the same eccentric way early 90's anime were, which seems weird to hear in today's anime, but I guess we'll see as the show goes on.

SoldnerKei

watched Akame ga Kill, half episode was pretty cliche, but second half went pretty dark, liked it, hopefully it'll gets good

cajunator

Banned
Can't say I dislike it, I was just totally unprepared lol

All the voices seem to be performed in the same eccentric way early 90's anime were, which seems weird to hear in today's anime, but I guess we'll see as the show goes on.

I actually liked the way the new series retained the 90s feel. Made it seem more authentic.

hmmm what was the last anime with the protag that has normal upper middle class parents?

It's usually the elite rival with elite parents. the protag has insane parents up the royalty wazoo or are poor weirdos that make candy or something.

I guess the 'boring' parents rarely even appear in those anime anyhow.

Soma

Favorite Summer op so far: not a whole lot stood out but Nozaki-kun's was hella groovy
Favorite Summer ed so far: no contest definitely Barakamon's by far. Though if we're still counting Space Dandy's ED that's also up there.

akame ga kill 1

kinda boring shounen... then wtf shit is bloody as fuck!

Wait...

I think i read this manga???

hmmm its been ages where i've watched most of an eps before i realized i've read the manga lol

It's the iron man dude that made my memory click lol.

Jex

I assumed it was a textbook and that she was studying for history class

Yeah, that's what Gen wanted you to think. But it doesn't even make sense as a text book because there's no detail. It was just for exposition class.
They start talking about college tests and midterms and:

I'm pretty sure she was studing.

She was only talking about those so that you could learn that robot main character was also the best in class. Don't assume that bit of exposition was connected to that other bit of exposition! Moreover, those clearly weren't notes!

Blusby

So I was wondering why Nozaki-kun sounded so familiar and realized it's the same voice as Onii-sama. Curious as to his other work, I then realized he has voiced a lot of leads of shows I've liked. Like Oreki in Hyouka, Kintoki in Gintama, and the lead in Clannad.

A fellow believer in Onii-sama I see, I think we'll be getting along fine.

Anyways, watched Nozaki-kun and am definitely gonna follow it, hilarious stuff.

cajunator

Banned
hmmm what was the last anime with the protag that has normal upper middle class parents?

It's usually the elite rival with elite parents. the protag has insane parents up the royalty wazoo or are poor weirdos that make candy or something.

I guess the 'boring' parents rarely even appear in those anime anyhow.

Madoka had a really awesome Mom
Also Gundam Build Fighters had normal parents.

wonzo

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

gekkanshoujo1.jpg

This was as good I was expecting from the positive impressions in the manga thread. Feels nice when I can actually enjoy something Dogakobo's working on, especially when it's a neat little shone series like this.

If only Dresden was here to see this…

Jex

The bus scene is still better than the opening space battle in Gargantia or the "let's walk around in a circle while dumping exposition" in F/Z.

Easily.

True, compared to other Butch works, it was an improvement. However, maybe one day he'll learn that you don't need to explain how everything works. Maybe.

season been pretty unlewd.

so i guess might as well slowly get back to strike witches.

strike witches 2 1

ooh nicely animated fights with action packed butt shots.

neroi's return? oh no!

720p is fine for anime.
Obviously the resolution isn't the real problem but how services (typically) give 720p streams crappy bit rates. I started to watch the first episode of Gargantia to test it out and the compression was too gross.
I accept your apology. I'm glad we can be friends again.
I don't even remember you.
crunchyroll on apple TV looks pretty damn good.
I just looked it up and it gets the 1080p stream.

Superflat

Sabagebu episode 1

IZAV4vH.jpg

This narration bit reminds me of the One Week Friends Overreaction-gate

So glad this show turned out well.

I was unsure in the early parts of the episode but it went stupid in a way I can appreciate, complete with a tongue-in-cheek narrator and plenty of gun on gun violence.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Is Usagi supposed to sound like that in the original too?
Same voice actress and general cadence, but there is a subtle difference in how she's playing the role. It's probably due to it being two decades since first doing it, though.

Branduil

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

This was as good I was expecting from the positive impressions in the manga thread. Feels nice when I can actually enjoy something Dogakobo's working on, especially when it's a neat little shone series like this.

If only Dresden was here to see this…

Where did Dresden go?

Link Man

Banned
Wait, DRAMAtical Murder is that kind of series? I had my misgivings, but the first episode really didn't have any fanservice.

Not my cup of tea, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom