• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_i

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma ???

What the hell is this? I loved Fate/Zero and wasn't there supposed to be a remake of the first show Fate/Night or whatever?

It's a magical girl show starring Illya. Totally different universe. Also, it's pretty yuri.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma ???

What the hell is this? I loved Fate/Zero and wasn't there supposed to be a remake of the first show Fate/Night or whatever?

It's pretty much as good as the first season of Fate/Zero.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tokyo Ghoul 1

Well that was pretty predictable. Hopefully episode 2 will benefit from all the groundwork already being laid out so it can surprise.

Of course the problem with gory shows like this is that the censor shadow ends up blocking off half the details so you can't really see what is going on. Especially bad at the end.

When is Season 2 of Non Non Biyori supposed to air?

Just recently caught up with the first season and I absolutely loved it. I was really impressed with the art and the soundtrack was awesome. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Just a wonderful peaceful experience. I started watching it and found it boring at first but I'm glad I decided to revisit it.

The first 3-4 minutes of episode 1 with just the music and scenery was an amazing experience, I cant believe I didnt appreciate it the first time around.

Episode 10 was probably the highlight of the show for me. Loved Candy Store and Renchons backstory. Just so damn cute.

http://a.pomf.se/xjqprb.webm

http://a.pomf.se/lwtzow.webm

http://a.pomf.se/fpftqa.webm

http://a.pomf.se/vsyqvr.webm

Opening: It's alright. Not better than Rage On though.
Ending: Marvelous. Not to say anything bad about the last one, but this is clearly superior version.

Fantastic start to this season.

Everything was so enjoyable to watch and its great to see everyone once again.

Especially smiling Rin now, who is a definite improvement over brooding/angst Rin from last season. Still has nothing on magnificent Rei and cute Makoto though. I'm even enjoying Nagisa antics more so than I usually do. Haru remains the straight face, water obsessed person that we all remember him by, but that's why we fell in love him in the first place.

And lovely Gou reminds everyone once again why she has the best reaction faces in the show.

http://a.pomf.se/ipncxk.webm

Just recently caught up with the first season and I absolutely loved it. I was really impressed with the art and the soundtrack was awesome. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Just a wonderful peaceful experience. I started watching it and found it boring at first but I'm glad I decided to revisit it.

Heh. I thought you had seen it before now since you were using that avatar and all...

Don't think they've announced when S2 is going to air yet.

No Game No Life 05

oebmQxp.jpg

Pantsu

Steph loses about everything in various games, there's suddenly a castle in the sky and a winged being descends.

Theonik

There's 3 episodes worse than episode 2 which I couldn't make it through? Ugh.
After being tempted to pick it back up I think I'll keep it on my "When all else fails list".
Well on the flip-side the series is an omnibus format and you can watch pretty much any of these episodes whenever at whatever order.
Someone should take the time to write proper synopsis for them with their main staff indicating what to watch and what to skip.

Hattori

Banned
So I was in the spring thread a little bit ago asking for Miyazaki recommendations, and after watching some of his work I'm still in the mood for anime movies but wanna take a break from Miyazaki stuff for a bit. Besides Miyazaki's work I've seen Garden of Words, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and Wolf Children, any recommendations for really interesting, possibly adventurous standalone Japanese animation movies?
You should watch Tonari no Yamada-kun, it's not a Miyazaki work but it's just as good in my opinion.

Crocodile

Tokyo Ghoul 1

Predictable as all heck but I still had a good time with it. I assume they are going to delve into the history and origin of the Ghouls at some point? You'd expect there to be more mass hysteria with the common knowledge that man-eating zombies roam the streets at night!

There's 3 episodes worse than episode 2 which I couldn't make it through? Ugh.
After being tempted to pick it back up I think I'll keep it on my "When all else fails list".

I dunno in what universe someone can consider episode 7 a bad episode but whatever :/

Just watch the damn show, your ranking probably won't line up with his(?) anyway

Tokyo Ghoul Ep. 1

http://a.pomf.se/dvsxbt.webm

It was alright.

That moment was HILARIOUS :)

Jex

[Tokyo Ghoul] - 1

I know it might be a little unfair to call a genre work 'predicable' but the story beats in this episode were, beat for beat, entirely obvious beforehand. It was pretty painful.

On the plus side, the show looks god damn amazing. The animation in this episode was nuts and the background art looks superb. However the cold, digital-y looking background art sometimes doesn't really look like it meshes that well with the actual characters. There's just something slightly off about the compositing.

And of course, we get some great new handburger pictures and gifs!

With the end of the Spring 2014 Season over and this thread now up, I thought it would be proper to write an extremely long and overdrawn post about what I watched this season in list format to draw as much ire as possible. The season was better than I was expecting (which I say after pretty much every season) as I once again managed to stumble upon quite a few decent shows I had little or no intention of watching before the season started.

#1 Ping Pong The Animation

Hey, here's a show people said would be really good and likely AOTS and they were actually right. This was the show I looked forward to the most every week.
Despite the odd style and budget/time issues, this show still had more than enough to put it over others this season. This a show where I found the symbolism and imagery were actually pretty nice, as opposed to the usual blatancy found in most anime. It's also nice to see a show just end, without a season 2 tease or cliffhanger.
The characters are all interesting (even Smile, who I thought and many thought was the weakest character, I ended up liking more and more) and you can empathize with even the "villains". Wenge goes through an arc in such a short time on screen and yet he's still such a great character. A character with no name that I just call "traveling guy" has way less screentime, and yet still gets a full arc and he was pretty great. Kazama changes a lot in the last two episodes, and I was not expecting that at all, or at least not in the way it was done. PECO IS THE GODDAMN HERO.
Overall, without reading the original source material, I think Yuasa and the odd animation style they chose fit this very well and combined with it being a show about Ping Pong which many people would scoff at, I really enjoyed it despite that. Great OST as well.
Easily AOTS.

#2 Hunter X Hunter 2011
Considering this arc is ending conveniently at the end of the season along with everything else, I'll rank it despite it not being over or at a halfway point or anything. I'm just going to reiterate what's been said and what I've said about the Chimaera Ants Arc again - it has pacing issues, and that's a bigger or smaller problem depending on who you ask. However, it has the highest high points in the entire series as a payoff. Yorknew may be a more complete and tighter package, but events in this arc are great, as are the characters (the villain is probably the best character in the whole series.) I was really interested to see how they would adapt a whole bunch of parts of this arc, and they did it all very well. Hats off to you Madhouse, that 131 episode wait was worth it.
AND THAT OST IS SICK AS HELL, they play the same two songs nearly every episode and it never gets old.

#3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
No, the Ripple is not coming back stop asking
Despite not being absolutely crazy about Part 3, it's still entertaining as hell and continuing Davis Production's excellent adaptation of the JoJo manga, despite crudish censoring and silly Crunchyroll name changing. But Walk Like an Egyptian is the ED and that's awesome.
Little to say about this because I'm a giant JoJo fan, I was going to like this anyway. I also read it already and watched the OVA and I personally think Part 3 gets way better in the second half, or at least after the first quarter. I will give them credit for making fights I wasn't very hyped to see very fun to watch (Ebony Devil in particular.)
But they changed Hol Horse's voice actor from All Star Battle and that's shit.
#4 No Game No Life
Probably the show I want a S2 for the most, this show is just super entertaining. Usually I don't like overpowered unbeatable MC's, but I'll let it slide for this show because it's so stupid and not meant to be taken seriously at all, and I actually like Sora and Shiro's dynamic a lot. The referential humor was pretty well done and placed I found, and wasn't the only kind of jokes. Plus it had JoJo and Phoenix Wright references so I can't hate it. The games are all entertaining as hell, and despite the fact the MC pair cannot lose because they are so good at NEET things, it still manages to put on quite a show. Although I was kind of getting tired of the super calculated bullshit plans for everything by the end of it.
This was by far the lewdest thing I watched this season, and that kind of stuff doesn't bother me but if you don't want to see an episode where all the characters are naked for like half of it or "beautiful things" I don't judge
And Jibril is the best girl. And Steph is a Steph.

#5 Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
I'm really a sucker for this sort of thing (I am allowed), but it really helps when the show is actually good. Even though the main relationship moves at a snail's pace (it ends with them exchanging cell phone numbers I mean come on) I still thought it was a nice watch mainly because it was adorable. The show is more of a comedy then a romance anyway. I liked how it mainly stayed away from the school setting, and had quite a few adult characters. However those adult side characters really make this show and without them it'd actually be pretty boring. Mayumi, Sayaka and Shiro are hilarious and make all the interactions great. Also moe KanaHana gives it some points too.

#6 Hitsugi no Chaika
I would write this part in Chaikaspeak but I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I did.
This show is a great boon upon the world for giving us hilarious screencaps. I expect many Shocking Truths in our future.
Despite being very by the books and average fantasy, it doesn't really do anything worth hating or loving, and that's good. It didn't dissuade me from wanting to watch the second season. Apparently it's also very similar to an older, better show called Princess Tutu or something I dunno. The main cast is more likeable then I was lead to believe, especially after they add a viscous Dragoon loli. And despite Akari's gimmick being making vaguely incestuous deadpan jokes, I find her great.
About halfway through it turns into Choose your Chaika and the only real choice so far is Red, let's be real here

#7 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Honestly this show isn't too bad (besides the times when it is like that dumbass stuff with the kendo girl and the current arc is pretty boring) and that's probably because I was expecting it to be really, really bad. This is another show I can say has too many characters and I forgot everyone's name but I don't think it's as bad as NaNaNa. The magic system is interesting and I wish they would expand on it more, but then there wouldn't be time to MARVEL AT HOW GLORIOUS ONII-SAMA IS. DO YOU SEE ONII-SAMA? THE MAN WHO INVENTED FLYING MAGIC IN HIS SPARE TIME? THE MAN WHO IS SO GOOD AT EVERYTHING THAT HE BROKE THE TESTING FOR THE SCHOOL? A MAN SO FLIPPANT AND SUAVE, HE WOULD STAND OUTSIDE OF A BUS WHEN IT IS HOT OUT? WHENEVER ONII-SAMA'S NOT ON SCREEN, ALL THE OTHER CHARACTERS SHOULD BE ASKING "WHERE'S ONII-SAMA?"
ONII-SAMA IS THE GREATEST CHARACTER OF OUR GENERATION GODDAMMIT

#8. Captain Earth
It's really hard to say anything about this show when nothing ever happens. I honestly just watch it to see what predicaments Team Rocket and Our Heroes will end up in and how dumb it will be in vague hopes something interesting will occur besides magic yuri awakening kisses, or marvel at how much overblown sci-fi lingo will be thrown in this week. The main characters are really awful at tracking down probable bad guys, despite them all having different colored abnormal hair. You think after a while they would get instantly suspicious of anyone with green or red hair but no, they never do. Don't these guys watch the episode previews?
But it looks pretty, has a decently good OST, a badass launch sequence and Hana who is actually really boring and kind of annoying but I'm a sucker for brown girls. And I swore I'd stick with this to no one for no reason, no matter how shitty it got, so now I'm stuck watching it because I'll be damned if I lie to myself

#9 Mekaku City Actors
I'll be honest, this show is 2Shaft4Me. I can handle Shaft, but not this much Shaft. I also had little to no idea what was going on for most of the show (especially the ending), so that didn't really help. I don't have a lot to say about this show, because I don't feel strongly either way about it. I didn't really like any of the characters, but none of them were bad. The songs were alright, but I'm not really into that kind of music. I just never really dropped it because I wanted to see if it had something to say, and it did get better in the later episodes but not enough to sway my opinion into the positive.
Good OP and ED though.

#10 Nanana's Buried Treasure
This was dropped but I just couldn't leave it well enough alone and came back to it. It wasn't worth it. I got played like a goddamn fiddle. I started watching this show for the redhead girl who shows up an amazing 10 minutes the entire series- 8 of them being in the first episode- so then I started watching it for the black hair girl who also never shows up, so I just settled for Tensai like everyone else.
I wish this show was just a wacky treasure hunting show and didn't have all these organizations and so many characters. It would've been better that way. It probably also has one of the lamest, most generic villains in recent memory who's name I can't remember but he was wearing a trenchcoat . But it does have its moments, as few and far between as they are.
FURTHERMORE, this show makes me mad by proxy by continually showing Nanananananana playing Phantasy Star Online 2 all the goddamn time fuck you Sega

#11 M3: Sono Kuroko Hagane
Now, I like mecha series. But there's a lot of bad mecha series. And this is one of them. It's such a drab, dreary and dull show that looks like it came out of a different decade, and not in a good way. It's also worse than Nobunaga the Fool (which was basically a soap opera with mechs thrown in as an afterthought to make someone like me vaguely interested, but I don't know what I expected from Kawamori), so congratulations on doing that one.
So our main cast of no one interesting has to pilot these robots to fight the generic shadow enemy in the Zone and the shadows are actually humans gasp and then the biggest edgemaster of all time comes in and starts licking people and I dropped it because I have standards

Absolute WORST Show I watched this Season?

FUUUN ISHIN DAI SHOGUN
I'm fairly certain absolutely no one in here was watching this (and neither was I, I dropped it after the first episode) except Midonin. I hesitate to call this a show because it consists entirely of stills moving slightly. This show is like, Musashi Gundoh tier at times. The only draw is the boobies but you can watch SOMETHING GOOD AND WHOLESOME like Blade & Soul or Daimidaler for that and spare your eyes from this.

Best show I DID NOT watch this Season?

MUSHISHI S2
I would've watched this but I was too lazy to watch the first season. That's it. It's about ghosts, right?
Although I feel like I secretly missed something by not watching WIXOSS. But I'm not sure what.

Mecha

Tokyo Ghoul 1

Well that was pretty predictable. Hopefully episode 2 will benefit from all the groundwork already being laid out so it can surprise.

Of course the problem with gory shows like this is that the censor shadow ends up blocking off half the details so you can't really see what is going on. Especially bad at the end.

I was around 30 chapters in before I dropped it, and it stayed really predictable.

It reads kind of like a young adult novel.

sonicmj1

Crest of the Stars 11

Whaddaya know, things seem better if you watch them in order. All the ship battle stuff made no sense last week, but at least this has the context for it, even if I'm not that invested in the Abh's inevitable retaking of the planet.

There was welcome Abh history, ships in space blew up, and the commander of Futune is kinda nuts. I wonder why every ship commander in the Abh fleet is taught to give orders by pointing their sword at things. I guess it's tradition.

Jex

Damn, I guess I wasn't alone in feeling like Tokyo Ghoul was extremely predictable. That's an interesting development, I'd imagined that I'd be more of an outlier as people tend to let genre-heavy shows off the hook. I suppose that just highlights how serious of a problem it is for the writing.

While it's kind of a pointless exercise, I can easily picture Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 as if it were produced by a C-tier studio - I'm certain that the writing alone wouldn't have been able to carry me through 20 minutes of that shlock.

Midonin

FUUUN ISHIN DAI SHOGUN

I'm fairly certain absolutely no one in here was watching this (and neither was I, I dropped it after the first episode) except Midonin.
Hooray? My tenacity got me noticed for something! That's stage one.

Locodol 01

While I can see how comparisons would be drawn to WUG, the overall tone (and local love being spread around) reminds me of an idol version of Rinne no Lagrange. The humor largely worked, Nyanako and Yukarin have some great chemistry that can be taken as either friendship or yuri - and it's abundantly clear which one I'll take - and I liked the performance they did of the local town anthem. Small traces of lewdness, but this is TBS, they won't even air panty shots there. The daily life show I'm really looking forward to is Hanayamata, being the representative Kirara series of the season, but this is a pretty strong contender out the gate. It's small scale, and funny and heartwarming.

All that's left for today is Rail Wars, and I'm hoping CR announces that and it's not delayed too badly like Kawaisou.

yeah im not sure why DTL can get away with that while theonik can't with short shorts.

anyhow, "My little sister is growing up and I hate it! ( 1 2 3 4 )" reminds me, what are the hot imouto shows of the season?

Glasslip 1

Was a bit boring for a first episode but I really like the look of the show. The characters so far aren't that interesting. I also don't get what the relationship is between the two who live to gether. Cousins? The show also doesn't have a comedic edge to it at all, which wasn't what I expected. Seems similar to True Tears but not as heavy on the seriousness.

Darn, just missed the wall of shame. Well back to anime impresions

Sabagebu 1
An okay comedy with okay art. It really loves guns and that about all it has going for it

Jex

Are you guys still complaining about moderation policies? Does mod baiting seem wise to anyone?

Finalow

Sounds like I might have made a potentially wise choice of not watching Tokyo Ghoul, as I was on the fence for it.
from comments based only on the first episode?

someone who read the manga might actually know if it's any good or not.

jbug617

Banned
Gasslip 1

Have no clue what is going in on. You can see the obvious love triangle about to happen though.
I thought it was going to between the 2 girls and the tall boy but turns out the tall girl is his sister.

Kansoku

Toyko Ghoul - 1

It was ok. Not bad, not amazing, It has potential. Best part was Ling Toshite Shigure soundtrack. Didn't know about it, and was a nice surprise (and it fits well).

Kurita

Toyko Ghoul - 1

It was ok. Not bad, not amazing, It has potential. Best part was Ling Toshite Shigure soundtrack. Didn't know about it, and was a nice surprise (and it fits well).

Actually it's just TK from Ling Tosite Sigure, not the whole band.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm about to start watching Aikatsu.

I fear that I've made a grave mistake.

This is what you get for following kViN on twitter.

Toei did a lot of things better four years ago :( I won't ask you to endure the currently-aired portion of Happiness Charge simply to see where my deep demoralization comes from, but the high precedence of outsourcing and general apathy and incompetency is worse than I've ever seen it and it bodes horribly for Crystal.

Damn, I guess I wasn't alone in feeling like Tokyo Ghoul was extremely predictable. That's an interesting development, I'd imagined that I'd be more of an outlier as people tend to let genre-heavy shows off the hook. I suppose that just highlights how serious of a problem it is for the writing.

While it's kind of a pointless exercise, I can easily picture Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 as if it were produced by a C-tier studio - I'm certain that the writing alone wouldn't have been able to carry me through 20 minutes of that shlock.

So I can edit the OP to swap in Sengoku Basara for Tokyo Ghoul like I originally wanted? Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom