• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Didn't have a chance to comment on this yesterday but Jexhius, no way is Eureka 7 'better' than Cowboy Bebop. I'm a big fan of the show but it's just too inconsistent. I would say that there are certainly a number of shows with 'higher highs' than CB, the thing though is that CB is just very consistent while most shows fluctuate.

People seem to be missing the part where I said better than or equal to!

Anyway, just about every TV series ever made is inconsistent, even Cowboy Bebop. Consistency is certainly a goal to strive for, but it's not a deciding factor for me.

/XX/

But it's kind of interesting that Japan has way less problerms with CG than the western fanbase. Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Sidonia are pretty successful although both shows get a lot of hate because of the CG animations.
Yeah! Add to it the notion that this summer two big names like Saint Seiya (with the LEGEND of SANCTUARY film that had a good opening week with a 'roadshow' showing on selected cinemas; Toei Animation was clearly preparing for this future, so start embracing it guys) and the always relevant Doraemon are jumping on the wagon.

Blusby

Tokyo Ghoul 01: Holy damn was that a great opening episode, the director captured warped, frightened Kaneki well.

TUSR

Banned
No Game No Life [Finished]
Jibril!

Seeing her drool at something new and unknown was always a highpoint of the series for me:

References

There is a sense of playfulness in all the series (duh) and I feel the ton of references added to that feeling.

Jibril was the best part of S1, Materialization Shiritori was probably my favourite part of the whole show.

The references really worked well in this show.

Im not sure whats going on with S2, we have almost enough LN material for it, and word is that the Yu really enjoyed working on the show, coupled with decent sales I don't doubt we get a S2.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 1:

Welp, 10 minutes in and i have no idea what is going on and I really don't care, dropping this like the duller shade of grey that it is.

Funi for Shounen Hollywood.
SHONEN HOLLYWOOD will premiere on Saturday, July 5, at 1:30 PM Eastern Time (12:30 PM Central, 10:30 AM Pacific), and new episodes will follow at the same time every Saturday! Catch them on funimation.com/shonen-hollywood.
Two announcements in a row for the shows I was most excited about. Good season for them this time.

Date A Live s1 Episode 9 (funiDub)

I think part of what makes Kurumi so refreshing for the cast is her voice and lines just makes her feel way better than the other characters who seem the typical carbon cutouts of what their supposed to be designed around. One just kind of wants to see Kurumi succeed in her endeavors just so Tohka can remain well not with Shido and oblivious to everything and Origami alone

Shido had a reaction I didnt expect when he saw the killed people (so brutal that they showed the hole in the person as it in, didnt think he'd barf and such and then run away from her so fast, but then still swear to save her. Interesting

The instrumental version of the theme in episode is definitely best song on the ost.

Blusby

I can't wait to watch it once I get home from bayformers. How is the OP?

I dig the OP song a lot, though it's probably cause I already really like the band. It's the singer of the band that did Psycho-Pass's first opening theme.

Samurai Pizza Cats - 05

SF5Orfg.png

"That's one ugly girl!"

I just noticed that thus far there have been at least three different narrators for the show.

sonicmj1

Log Horizon 8-9

I like the idea of EXP pots for new players, but making them tradable is a terrible idea. That would just encourage people to make alts so they can level faster.

That could just be one of those weird quirks of the transition to reality, though.

Anyway, it's fun watching Shiroe's plan play out. I like how they represented the negotiations in episode 8. By using those spectral characters to show everyone's thought process, it was more engaging than it otherwise would have been. And having a dim sum table to send documents around is a cool idea!

Shiroe sure is lucky that none of the big guilds noticed that the Guild Hall was for sale.

Samurai Pizza Cats - 06

hpp56Xs.png

"They call themselves 'The Pointless Sisters'?"
"You gotta admit, it describes 'em perfectly."

This was probably the funniest episode yet. I loved the narrator in this one.

Midonin

If it wasn't for Fairy Tail continuing through this season (and many more seasons from now on), I'm starting to feel like I could cancel my Funi subscription once Puchimas is done (on their site). They haven't picked up anything I'd like to watch yet.

That may change, but so far, not so.

Pooya

Argevollen - 1

WOW, what amazing art direction WOW

1404410244-1.jpg

1404410265-2.jpg

1404410258-3.jpg

it's green shit copy pasted for 3/4 of the episode, it's too green everywhere. One whole episode, you get to know shit about this universe or characters or anything, terrible first episode for that. Makes it feel like the most generic world ever...

CG isn't quite as bad as the designs. One cool area I like to see in mecha anime are the cockpits and visors and stuff, they couldn't look any more boring here if they tried for those.

1404410249-4.jpg

They seem to really love DOF, it used very often. It's actually good for hiding the terrible backgrounds.

I LOVE slow mecha, so this was good for that. I'm not sure how long it will remain slow though... There isn't something offensively bad about it but there is nothing remotely good about it here. On the bright side it didn't seem there is any fanservice here, well the megane girl looks too young for that important job seemingly she has though. Character designs are whatever. I'm getting the impression that the creators didn't give a shit. I'll watch a couple more episode to see what's up with this. oh there was music? I forgot.

Anyway there is not going to be anything amazing to see here, that much is obvious but maybe it's not too terrible either.

So I was in the spring thread a little bit ago asking for Miyazaki recommendations, and after watching some of his work I'm still in the mood for anime movies but wanna take a break from Miyazaki stuff for a bit. Besides Miyazaki's work I've seen Garden of Words, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and Wolf Children, any recommendations for really interesting, possibly adventurous standalone Japanese animation movies?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So I was in the spring thread a little bit ago asking for Miyazaki recommendations, and after watching some of his work I'm still in the mood for anime movies but wanna take a break from Miyazaki stuff for a bit. Besides Miyazaki's work I've seen Garden of Words, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and Wolf Children, any recommendations for really interesting, possibly adventurous standalone Japanese animation movies?

Tokyo Godfathers. Ghost in the shell. Summer Wars, tekkonkinkreet.

All of them are movie and mostly liked by those who watched it (including me)

Dennis

Banned
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma ???

What the hell is this? I loved Fate/Zero and wasn't there supposed to be a remake of the first show Fate/Night or whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom