• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sabagebu! 1

As expected from the director of Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri this is the best show of the season.

Since its monday I'm trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Yowamushi Pedal with the Tour de France but its not working. Ending season 1 at the end of the second day of the interhigh I can understand... but ending season 1 on a cliffhanger just before the finish line of the second day?

How could you do that to me Onoda :(

weird that i learned that theonik was banned for strike witch butts right after i was in a thread in OT where someone was posting yoga pants girl pics.

Quite frankly, I'd like a clear definition of "edgy" as it's understand here. I'm sometimes not quite sure if we're all even meaning the same.
I see edgy as way too grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. There seems to be a misunderstanding post dark knight trilogy that everything has to be dark and depressing and cool. In Akame ga Kill it's especially off for me because here you have all these protagonists that have typical harem hijinks and slice of life interactions between each other and then next scene they depict a man fucking a corpse or some shit. It's like "was that necessary?"

Those two tones just clash.

Tenumi

Banned
weird that i learned that theonik was banned for strike witch butts right after i was in a thread in OT where someone was posting yoga pants girl pics.

And yet a mod posted in that one, too, not even condemning it or anything. So much for no more "x is hot" threads...

You lied, Ducky.

The only thing I like about Haruhi is its famous ED song.

The show itself was a bit too weird for my tastes. But then again, that's how I thought about it years ago. Maybe my opinion would change if I took another look at it.

The key word being "IF". I have no intention of returning to that show for a while.

Right now, I'm currently thinking of returning to some old mecha shows I put on hold. Like Eureka 7, Aquarion EVOL, or Shin Mazinger Z.

After only watching the first episode how is Akama ga Kill edgy?

I thought we called stuff like Elfenlied or Muv-Luv "edgy", stories which trying to archive some emotional reactions with emotional and physical abuse of the characters.

AgK was just b-movie splatter stuff.

I suppose it's both. Everything a fictional story does to try to be darker / gritty / more "adult", like psychological abuse, shocking behavior in general, morality that goes from grey to black, tortured anti-heroes everywhere, rape, gore, etc; but it usually fails because the execution is bad or because it's pretty clear what the intention of the author is and it doesn't feel natural.

And yet a mod posted in that one, too, not even condemning it or anything. So much for no more "x is hot" threads...

You lied, Ducky.
Duckroll said it'd be a while before other mods and threads got to the same level but I'd argue this thread is more notorious for off hand random perverted stuff. I don't go much outside gaming side and this thread though.

Tenumi

Banned
Duckroll said it'd be a while before other mods and threads got to the same level but I'd argue this thread is more notorious for off hand random perverted stuff. I don't go much outside gaming side and this thread though.

True, true...

I imagine I might be still looking at a ban, taking a quick look at the TOS.

Oh well, I said what I wanted to say. Back to normal for me.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Theonik...

my butt buddy... er, I mean.... my butt brother... or I... yeah, well you know...

pour_zpsccfbf035.jpg

A martyr for the ass,
He died at last.
This one for the one and only,
my butt buddy blood homie.

Dragoshi1

Doraemon English Dub Episode 1

That was pretty good, actually. There were some edits here and there, like black paint to green, and omission of Nobita's further reading of the future album, but otherwise, pretty solid VA work here, except for maybe Nobita. His voice sounds too big for the whiny little punk.

Doraemon's VA is great, though, expressed proper anger and stuff, made a jab at NASA, and dat Yamato reference. Shizuka/Sue's VA was spot on too, more or less what I expected her to sound like.

Sneetch/Suneo was ok, and Big G/Gian was alright, if a bit too deep voiced at times.

Currently airing on Disney XD here in the US, btw.

Hugstable

Banned
Gonna check out Aldnoah Zero right now since some of the impressions have been positive, but then I'm gonna start a new anime for myself to watch over time. Gonna be a hard decision so I'm gonna check out the first episodes of both Fate/Zero and Idolm@ster and make my choice from there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So far ANN's preview review things have been pretty boring. Only notable one is this 5/5 Aldnoah.Zero one.
Aldnoah.Zero is the first series, probably since Crest of the Stars, to try its hand at the sci-fi war epic and get it so beautifully, exhilaratingly right. The setup seems common enough, perhaps a little Gundam-ish—the series concerns a brewing war between Earthbound humans and technologically advanced Martian émigrés—but the end product is most uncommon. It's a sci-fi adventure of scale and intimacy, ruthlessness and humanity, spectacle and intelligence. It is grandeur and historical sweep coupled seamlessly with personal and emotional detail; grand action couched in political and social intricacies, witnessed through the eyes of soldiers and citizens, princesses and slaves.

Of course, this is still episode one, so there's plenty of time for the potential I see to betray itself as hot air and wishful thinking. But I'd wager it's the real deal. The episode moves with the grace of total confidence, with the effortless care of the storyteller who knows where they're going and how they'll get there. Like a well-honed athlete, you may not see the muscles on the surface, but you can sense them there, waiting to strike. And when they do—as they do at the first eruption of Martian racism and again at the episode's apocalyptic conclusion—it's with the emotional brutality and series-altering audacity for which creator Gen Urobuchi is known.

cajunator

Banned
Kyoani's fall show seems have so much plot
UgLzRlM.jpg

What is this show about? why is there bonta kun?

I'm more hype about winter season,because i'm gonna hear even more "fuck idol show" reply

I hope the cutie yandere and Mirei shows up.

I'm going to purposefully seek out only the most adorable cat gifs for the remainder of the episodes.

That seems logical. You have to do the show justice!

Gonna check out Aldnoah Zero right now since some of the impressions have been positive, but then I'm gonna start a new anime for myself to watch over time. Gonna be a hard decision so I'm gonna check out the first episodes of both Fate/Zero and Idolm@ster and make my choice from there.

Fate/Zero's first episode is a bit rough to get through. It's 40 minutes of heavy exposition. Don't let that deter you though as it gets much better as the series progresses.

Jex

So far ANN's preview review things have been pretty boring. Only notable one is this 5/5 Aldnoah.Zero one.

To those people wondering why I went to such lengths to dissect Aldnoah.Zero's first episode it's not because I thought the show was some garbage that needed to be destroyed. Instead, I merely read wall-to-wall praise of the series and wanted to bring things down to earth a little.

I actually enjoyed the first episode, I just thought that I couldn't let it's obvious problems escape a critical look.

ANN should be pretty ashamed of that hyperbolic nonsense, but I know ANN has no shame. He could have at least waited a few episodes before it declaring it the greatest thing since sliced bread. Perhaps the author doesn't realise that many shows get significantly worse over time?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Anime is sometimes looked upon far more harshly than reality. I had my avatar banned once for having an anime butt, while others had real girls' butts and breasts half covered in theirs. Anime butts are just twice as more lewd and offensive than real ones are.

mankoto

Why is there bonta kun?
The author is the creator of Full Metal Panic. So maybe they're in the same world, or it's just borrowed elements

ANN said:
The "slapstick drama" begins with Seiya Kanie, a high school boy who is invited on a date in an amusement park by a mysterious beautiful transfer student named Isuzu Sento. He is introduced to Ratifa, a "real" princess and the park's manager, and is asked to be the acting manager of this "disappointing amusement park in the Tokyo suburbs."
I'm going with it being a borrowed element after reading that

TUSR

Banned
Well, there are some rules in the OP there and people seem to follow it most of the time.

All I care about is parity man.

The Awesome Fanart thread is an abomination. There is no denying that, rules or not.

Back on topic. Everyone with a Vita should buy the localized copy of SAO so Namco localized the big JP only DLC.

Hugstable

Banned
Fate/Zero's first episode is a bit rough to get through. It's 40 minutes of heavy exposition. Don't let that deter you though as it gets much better as the series progresses.

Alrighty I'll try making it to episode 3 in Fate/Zero first before I watch Idolmaster. I'm pretty used to shows with slow starts though at this point haha.

Your guess is as good as mine. Also, ew.

-------------

So I've started Gintama from the very beginning. about how many episodes should I give it to figure out whether or not its really my kinda thing or not?

I'd say about till episode 58 for the Benzisakura arc, soo good. But really 20 or so episodes whether you like it or not. But give it a chance it's one of the best things about anime.

Kyoani's fall show seems have so much plot
UgLzRlM.jpg
Bonta-kun spotted !
Interest rising !
except magic battles in harry potter is pretty much just gun fights.

What you really want is kyoani to animate the shounen bits of Negima manga.

negima-2431.jpg
The tears.. the fact that the rakan Vs negi fight won't ever be animated is so disapointing.
At least i can hope that a decent studio will animate UQ HOLDER.

Well, LN adaptation...

Haruhi season 1 was excellent, everything after it was trash.
What Disapearance was awesome.
And after that there are some awesome stupid things to happen in the books they have left to animate.

The author is the creator of Full Metal Panic. So maybe they're in the same world, or it's just borrowed elements

Now you've got my full attention.

Jex

I see edgy as way too grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. There seems to be a misunderstanding post dark knight trilogy that everything has to be dark and depressing and cool. In Akame ga Kill it's especially off for me because here you have all these protagonists that have typical harem hijinks and slice of life interactions between each other and then next scene they depict a man fucking a corpse or some shit. It's like "was that necessary?"

Those two tones just clash.

While I find it hard to put into words what I mean by "edgy" that pretty much captures the tone these works are going for.

cajunator

Banned
So what happened to Theonik?

Sailor Moon 17

Mercury and Mars begin to scouts role of jobbing to the monster :/

Other then that another typical episode, fairly enjoyable and another one I remember from being a kid.

Theonik took a nice vacation till the end of July.

I was recently shown My Anime List recently, how did I watch Anime for so long and not know of a website that lets me compile everything I've watched with scores and everything! Getting tough to fill it out sometimes since some anime are always on the tip of my mind, and I've watched so many this past year that it's hard to remember some of anime I didn't like as much, but still needs to be added -__-.

Hummingbird is a better design but MAL is a more popular and longstanding choice with more support.

Space Brothers 1
Seems interesting so far.

Very long but rewarding series. Youll enjoy this Im quite certain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom