• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Personally, I'm not too bothered by DEATH GUN. We've all had our shitty internet handles when we were younger and this is just one variation of them.

My older internet handle was a car. It wasnt ever anything stupid.
It was based on this Czech sportscar
Mn91kYz.jpg

I see no one mentioned that Gakkou Gurashi is getting an anime.

FYI, this is a zombie series.

Ohh This is the show with the girl that drove Zachy nuts.

Jex

You know as much crap as we give death shot in sao2 for having such a hilarious design and name we have to remember this is supposed to be an mmo. Most people want to make the coolest looking guy even if it ends up being hilariously not so. The fact he isn't called xXxNinjaDeathKiller657xXx is a blessing in disguise.
I'd actually kind of prefer it if he had a really dumb handle, it'd be more authentic!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alrighty ya'll. So over the past year or so that I wasn't here I still managed to watch a few shows. A couple of series while they aired, and a couple from my backlog. I tried to pick shows that I wouldn't dislike, and overall I think I did pretty well.

What I watched:

Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon (S1)
Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Re:Cutie Honey
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Berserk Golden Age movies
Boku no Pico
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Madoka Movie 3: Rebellion
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

And I enjoyed everything very much (especially From the New World and Berserk)! My question is, have I missed anything especially good from the past year that I should catch up on? Anything airing now?

Shergal

No comment about the antagonist? Just one word would suffice.

He reminded me of
HamdoPleased.jpg

Just turn it on its head.

Also: future science.

Edit: That shouldn't really be your main complaint! Or only comment!
To be fair, the way they play around with weight is pretty creative and adheres to how physics would behave were such a ridiculous concept like "inverted gravity" real.

I don't really have a main complaint, I just felt the movie was supremely weird in structure and flow. I felt like the creators were trying to make me care about characters that didn't deserve it; their characterization felt like it got frozen in that 'establishment' phase standard adventure movies have over the first half-hour, and as the movie progressed I was left waiting for... something, not quite sure what.

I'd say it's a bad script with good direction, but leaving aside that Yoshiura is as responsible for the storyline as his writer is (e: especially because, who knew, he is the writer!), I felt the editing was inconsistent. Some transitions and decisions were a bit weird, and contributed to that off-beat feeling I got from the whole thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My first internet name was 'TheBestOne'.

I should have kept it. Fate would have it that what was originally intended to be a throwaway name ended up sticking though lately I've decided to sign up to sites with different names.

Alrighty ya'll. So over the past year or so that I wasn't here I still managed to watch a few shows. A couple of series while they aired, and a couple from my backlog. I tried to pick shows that I wouldn't dislike, and overall I think I did pretty well.

What I watched:

Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Boku no Pico
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

And I enjoyed everything very much (especially From the New World and Berserk)! My question is, have I missed anything especially good from the past year that I should catch up on? Anything airing now?

Maybe Silver Spoon, if SoL are your thing.

cajunator

Banned

What I watched:

Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Boku no Pico
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

Tsuritama is a bit over a year old but it was really good. Also Jinrui. Non non Biyori was really cute SOL.

Chaika - The Coffin Princess Episode 12

iYPNhWdlMOp91.gif

It was an interesting ending. thats for sure!

You should look into Ping Pong: The Animation from last season.

Mature

What I watched:

Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Boku no Pico
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

You watched Space Dandy, From the New World, Flowers of Evil, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, and the Eccentric Family. You watched everything worthwhile. =]

Pooya

patema hardly even tries to be about science, the movie is about the sensation of having no ground under your feet and the matter of different perspectives, it's a very simple movie actually, there are like no real characters, nor any well explained locations, lol.
it's one of those 'experience' movies maybe, if its gimmick works for you that is.
I felt I'm playing some gimmicky artsy indie game and 'the plot' ties in with the gameplay for THAT big surprise twist in the end these things always have.

Mokoi

Banned

Ping Pong go watch it. It's really good, and my AOTS for spring.

What I watched:

Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Boku no Pico
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

So how was that hentai panel? Explain it in PG terms.

Mr.Jeff

Mushi-shi Zoku Shou 10 HALF-TIME
Oh and the soundtrack was still as stellar as ever. Has there ever been a Mushi-shi OST? As also a fan of ambient music, I NEED IT.
There are soundtracks for the first series currently. Oddly enough though, the music while nice really isn't as effective without the context of the series. Perhaps down to how sparingly it's used during the show itself.
The Sore Feet Song never ceases to be enjoyable even if the full version is a bit cheesy.

Speaking of which...

Mushishi! That's about it. Girls und Panzer if you missed that as well.

Edit: Forgot this one -
You are apparently unacquainted with the way AnimeGAF works.
Disection of maps is all well and good but it's no classic like the critical analysis of perspective in the bathroom scene of Accel World.

Barakamon 1

sogood.gif

Calling it now, anime of the season.

Great and interesting characters, feel good story, and good visuals. This is all I need.

tumblr_n89kn2t2ia1r9b5wlo1_500.gif

Naru is so freaking adorable especially with that accent/dialect.

Link Man

Banned
Ao Haru Ride

Beautiful watercolors.

Oh my, those faces. And this seems to be anti-moe :)woofdawg?).

Cute, sweet (but a little sad), and has the potential to be really good.

What I watched:

Giant Robo
Flowers of Evil
Attack on Titan
From the New World
Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (S1)
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Ayakashi
Mononoke
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Yozakura Quartet
Berserk
Boku no Pico
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Record of Lodoss War
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Redline
Highschool DxD (S1)
Suisei no Gargantia
Battleship Yamato 2199

Yo brah watch Gintama your world will change. But kidding aside this anime is fantastic, it combines humor, feels, and drama really well. And also watch Log Horizon because it has good character interactions, world building, and politics.

I see edgy as way too grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. There seems to be a misunderstanding post dark knight trilogy that everything has to be dark and depressing and cool. In Akame ga Kill it's especially off for me because here you have all these protagonists that have typical harem hijinks and slice of life interactions between each other and then next scene they depict a man fucking a corpse or some shit. It's like "was that necessary?"

Those two tones just clash.

See that was pretty much my understanding as well. I was just confused when someone mentioned Attack on Titan being supposedly super edgy when I never considered it that myself. I mean in a small doses, sure, but overall the atmosphere is coherent. The violence and depiction thereof seems appropriate to the world that anime built.

Meanwhile in AkG there's a huge disparity between it's darker and lighter elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom