• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
as soon as the H word shows up in this thread, its time to leave for a few hours

hibachi2.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hanayamata Episode 1:

I think this series has both K-On! AND Non Non Byori chained in its basement. Yea, made it about ten minutes before the desire to eat my arm took hold. Dropped like a terrible pop song.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
lol was this all through a translator? and that not so stealth brag.

No, Maeda spoke in English. He had a thick accent, but he was still very easy to understand. And while I enjoy the company of the fairer sex as much as anyone else, it is not always easy attending such a convention with certain females. They're like "OMG, look at her outfit, it's sooo revealing. She's just dressing that way for attention, she's just popular because her boobs and butt are hanging out. It's not even a good costume!" Seconds later... "I mean, if I were in better shape I'd wear an outfit like that too!" -__-

Midonin

Supercon was great, time for some catching up on... most things.

Sailor Moon Crystal 01

I've seen this exact story twice, so my comments should be more about the animation. The CGI doesn't bother me (it's better than some of the stuff the toku version used) and Sugar makes for a pretty good Naru. Having the fights be able to feel more fluid and dynamic is a plus, but it could do with more cartoony faces. Also, watching this at a con with a group of people - I have never heard people scream that loudly for anything. At least not while I've also been there.

Happiness Charge Precure! 23

Iona's forms are pretty nice. Pine Arabian will make for plenty of easy "same voice actress" jokes, and her relationship with Hime being mended was kinda adorable. So many different pairings you can make with this series. Megumi and Yuyu showing up to do their roll call late was also a great little gag. And Bloom.

SAO II 01

The idea of a world focused on guns doesn't appeal to me as much as anything in the previous seasons, and my opinions on SAO are a resounding "I have no opinions." I watched the first season, saw what it was trying to do, but experienced no anger towards it. I also like the opening theme song that was played there, and the premise is interesting enough, so I'm just along for the ride. More thoughts once I have them.

Captain Earth 14

I'm intrigued. What is the deal with Hana, and does the other squirrel we saw a while back have anything further to do with this? The new OP and ED aren't bad, but there's no signs of either of the girls getting a robot.

Mahouka 14

The Grand Magic Games were more exciting than this.

Rail Wars 01

Team Haruka all the way. My Mayayan radar is what led me here. That and the fact that I can make plenty of Toqger jokes. All the train info before the next episode reminds me of Toqger as well, and the fanservice isn't a problem for me. It rarely is. My main thing with Aoi is more that she's too trigger happy. But I think I'll like this one.

Akame ga Kill 01

There's a lot of exaggerated reactions being played against the backdrop of some pretty terrible torture. Any series with t his much blood coming out of places other than the nose would normally not be my thing, but there's a sizable amount of ladies in Night Raid, and I just got done watching a show about assassins last season, so I don't have much room to talk.

Nozaki 01

Though the content reminds me of Mangaka, the tone reminds me of Engaged to the Unidentified more than anything. Chiyo's cute as well. I'm hardly a stranger to watching shows like this - Kaichou wa Maid-sama! was something I followed back when it was on air - so it all comes down to Chiyo. And she's worth following this for. That and all the meta manga commentary.

Hanayamata 01

As the Kirara representative this season, I may be slightly biased towards this one. Naru's personal issues are reminding me of Stella C3, but with dancing. As odd as this sounds, that's a compliment. Something from Kirara turning into a character study like that would be pretty cool. Love the OP theme too.

Aoharide 01

The things I do for Maaya Uchida. I know she's trying to make herself look less girly, but that messy look actually makes Futaba kind of cute. In comparison to Nozaki, I can tell this is going to have a lot of drama, but I can make room for some drama in my anime selection. It's not like I have much else on Mondays.

M3 12

Poor Saasame. The show's still unrelentingly bleak, but it's more consistent and not as shock value-y in its bleakness compared to Akame, which is a relative positive point in the show's favor.

Still Waiting On: Funi's Barakamon stream, CR's Sabagebu stream, streams for Jinsei, Himegoto, Francesca(?)

Akame no Kill 1
It gives off a really strong first impression with the juxtaposition with the family and the gore but seeing as they flat out tell you they are evil, I'm putting my expectations pretty low. It seems to have the same core problem as AoT but with more tropes.

CorvoSol

Stardust Crusaders 14

Wow, this episode really nails the horror movie feeling. Everything was just so damn creepy, even with Enyaba being a ridiculously over the top lady.

PV for the Trinity Seven anime is out alongside news about the main staff and the premiere being this fall.

Hiroshi Nishikiori (Azumanga Daioh, A Certain Magical Index) will direct the series and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Magi, Vividred Operation) will be in charge of series composition. Shinpei Tomooka (Sekirei, Day Break Illusion) will serve as both character designer and director of photography. TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND will compose the music and Seven Arcs Pictures (Mushibugyō) will handle animation production.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...shikiori-to-direct-trinity-seven-anime/.76403

phaze

This show hadn't blipped on my radar yet, but placing it up there with FLCL instantly makes me intrigued---even knowing absolutely 0 about it. I think I'll go in blind and start it up after I finish Log Horizon.

!

It's less crazy, more subdued and probably less of a technical achievement (though I much prefer the artstyle and overall look of KG) but I think Kyousougiga has the better story and characters. Do check it out, just start with episode 1 and not 0. :)
Future Diary 13
Heh. Looks like Kinugawa.

So Akise and Nishijima are working together for some reason now? The observers modifying and betting on the game doesn't sound like it will end well. And that 'throne' Yuno got. Haha.

Oh, and I just noticed that Kosaka is voiced by Lucky Star/Nichijou/Haruhi Minoru Shiraishi.

I only lasted 5 episodes of this but the main character is like, the worst lead ever. Worse than Shinji and I hate that decrepit pile of depressed wank.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
nah thats just words from a distinguished gentleman and hentai connoisseur.

Now I'm just picturing dapper English aristocrats politely jerking to hentai, discussing the finer points of the medium, pulling old dusty VHS tapes from fancy cellar shelf. "Ahhh, a nice 1982 vintage. The tentacles in this are exquisite, ol' bean!"

"Two things sure to put me to sleep after watching!"

cajunator

Banned

Absolutely

Now I'm just picturing dapper English aristocrats politely jerking to hentai, discussing the finer points of the medium, pulling old dusty VHS tapes from fancy cellar shelf. "Ahhh, a nice 1982 vintage. The tentacles in this are exquisite, ol' bean!"

"Two things sure to put me to sleep after watching!"

aka Extollere

He enjoys hentai with a fine vintage wine and classical music in the background

Himegoto is going to end up getting somebody banned eventually.

why?

reads description:

Himegoto follows Hime Arikawa, a second-year student at Shimoshina High School. Forced to assume a large amount of debt from by his now-absent parents, Hime is saved by the three girls of his school's student council after he is chased down by debt collectors. In return for paying off his debt, Hime agrees to their conditions of becoming the student council's "dog" and spending his high school life dressed as a girl.

Jex

Thinking more about it, I can picture Yoshiura coming up with the idea of inverted gravity thinking how awesome set-pieces he would make with it and how dynamic it could work out as a metaphor for storytelling (the whole "holding onto each other to rise above our differences" was as heavy-handed as those come, but it shows the potential); and then he reaches the realization- "but what about the story?" Who cares, we'll just throw some generic futurist dystopia + racism, people are gonna gobble it up, right?

I don't think it's quite that cynical - I imagine he just thought "hey, it's just a Summer Movie so the plot just has to be threadbare enough to stitch the scenes together" which it technically is.

Go_Ly_Dow

Kyoto Animation - Amagi Brilliant Park

UgLzRlM.jpg

Takemoto, Yasuhiro
Director
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Hyouka
K-ON!!
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Gatoh, Shoji
Original Creator

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Hyouka

+ a all new character designer.

Saved is Anime! Saved is KyoAnus! Hallelujah!

Clov

Himegoto sounds like it has almost the same premise as Hayate. Almost. It doesn't have Wakamoto as the narrator, which means it's automatically terrible. Much like the Hayate seasons without Wakamoto. It's a good thing the OVA brought him back.

Watched Hanayamata 01. Loved it! Made me laugh a lot with how Hana kept popping up from different places. Lovely animation too! Will probably end up being my cute anime of the season.

If your skills are tried and true you can discuss Himegoto and Rail Wars! in the same post and leave duckroll stunned that the ban button was left untouched.

Re: Hamatora 1
kind of confusing how they had Nice "dead" for the majority of the episode. Kind of figured that Light minimum guy wasn't all he cracked up to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom