• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

And I enjoyed everything very much (especially From the New World and Berserk)! My question is, have I missed anything especially good from the past year that I should catch up on? Anything airing now?
Not saying it is especially good at all, but I thought you would be at least checking out the first episode of Wizard Barristers. You know, we have to pay our respects to the big, perverted genius that is Mr. Umetsu on his true return!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Maybe Silver Spoon, if SoL are your thing.

Hmmm, I'll look into it. SOL is not really my thing at the moment. I'll make exceptions of course. But I greatly prefer narrative works, a plus if it strong thematic elements or an interesting world.

Tsuritama is a bit over a year old but it was really good. Also Jinrui. Non non Biyori was really cute SOL.

Oh right. I did see Tsuritama. Thought it was pretty cute. The faux-pixiv style was neat too. Haven't seen the others.

The Wind Rises!

Oh shit! Is that out yet?? Missed my chance to see this in the theater. Gotta catch up on this asap.

You should look into Ping Pong: The Animation from last season.

Hmmm, any relation to the Japanese film of the same name? I've seen that one a few times, and really enjoyed it. Thought the message of being a hero was cool.

You watched Space Dandy, From the New World, Flowers of Evil, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, and the Eccentric Family. You watched everything worthwhile. =]

Hurray! Flowers of Evil was also really really good. The soundtrack is amazing.

Ping Pong go watch it. It's really good, and my AOTS for spring.

K, gonna check it out then.

You know, I don't think Shiroe adjusts his glasses enough in Log Horizon. Also, I had to chuckle at how crazy her...proportions are, in this shot.
LogHorizon_zps24ca0f02.png

/XX/

Hmmm, any relation to the Japanese film of the same name? I've seen that one a few times, and really enjoyed it. Thought the message of being a hero was cool.
Yeah, it is based on the same source material as the animated series, that is the graphical novel by Taiyō Matsumoto.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Mushishi! That's about it. Girls und Panzer if you missed that as well.

Haven't heard of Mushishi. I'll look into it.

I saw Girls und Panzer! I can't remember if it was before or after I left here. Cool series. Yukari was nice, but I'll go for Saori. Always, always go for girls that can cook. True life lesson. You can always double up on waifus (is this word like, banned?) I mean girls with other talents.

Yo brah watch Gintama your world will change. But kidding aside this anime is fantastic, it combines humor, feels, and drama really well. And also watch Log Horizon because it has good character interactions, world building, and politics.

I've actually been avoiding Gintama because of the insanely high episode count. Prefer to watch shows that are two cour or less. I'd be slightly more interested in watching LOGH if I were to start a lengthy series... but I'll take your word on it being a great show. Thanks.

Not saying it is especially good at all, but I thought you would be at least checking out the first episode of Wizard Barristers. You know, we have to pay our respects to the big, perverted genius that is Mr. Umetsu on his true return!

Oh! Actually I have heard of this show... Can anyone else recommend this? I really wanted to watch it since I remember enjoying both Kite and Mezzo Forte when I was a kid. Actually I should plan to rewatch these shows with my wife soon.

Kyuur

Watching at least the first episode of everything that isn't S2 of something I haven't watched this season. Impressions so far!

Great
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Good
Akame ga Kill!
Glasslip
Sabagebu!

Unsure
Bakumatsu Rock
RAIL WARS!

Bad
DRAMAtical Murder

Got a bunch more to go still, but it's looking like it will be a good season so far. I'm excited to watch Space Dandy, Tokyo Ghoul and Zankyou no Terror.

Chariot

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 01

The show wasn't on my radar at all, thanks to AnimeGAF to make actually watch good stuff (and SAO II). Very light and funny. I was scared at first, because the hair of the girl screamed tsundere to me, but I misjudged. She is really cute and his imagination is really fun to watch.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We have a winner for the worst anime design of the year contest.

br9o38lcqaavnm0r9skz.jpg

Shark attack...do do dododo...Shark attack...do do dododo...

There are soundtracks for the first series currently. Oddly enough though, the music while nice really isn't as effective without the context of the series. Perhaps down to how sparingly it's used during the show itself.
The Sore Feet Song never ceases to be enjoyable even if the full version is a bit cheesy.

Yeah, but I can dig stuff like it devoid of context. I'll have to do some hunting.

mankoto

Space Brothers 11
So they split into 3 teams, with one having no relevant characters in it. I guess they had to purposely up the tension in some way. Serika was really cute as she hummed to prevent her growling stomach to be heard.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So how was that hentai panel? Explain it in PG terms.

My wife and her two girlfriends had many drinks and then waited in line for the first panel. It was hosted by ero-artist and legend, Toshio Maeda. The panel was called something like "Hentai, the past, present and future of eromanga". But instead it was mostly Maeda talking about his personal record of "how many times he could do it", and speaking out against the Japanese censorship prevalent in adult works. That's about all I can remember. He was actually very humorous. After, the girls retired back to the room and I stayed for the next, which was like "Eromanga the good, the bad, and the WTF", which was hosted by some kid. They showed a lot of messed up slides, jokes were had and everybody laughed. Good times. After that I talked to some lady about hentai and boobs, and then made my way back to the hotel, to a room full of half dressed females strewn about pillowcases and bedsheets like the articles of clothing they left on the floor. AX is truly an exhausting event.

Jex

To be fair, the way they play around with weight is pretty creative and adheres to how physics would behave were such a ridiculous concept like "inverted gravity" real.

I don't really have a main complaint, I just felt the movie was supremely weird in structure and flow. I felt like the creators were trying to make me care about characters that didn't deserve it; their characterization felt like it got frozen in that 'establishment' phase standard adventure movies have over the first half-hour, and as the movie progressed I was left waiting for... something, not quite sure what.

I'd say it's a bad script with good direction, but leaving aside that Yoshiura is as responsible for the storyline as his writer is (e: especially because, who knew, he is the writer!), I felt the editing was inconsistent. Some transitions and decisions were a bit weird, and contributed to that off-beat feeling I got from the whole thing.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you bring up the script because that's where all the problems in the movie stem from whether it's the pacing, characterisation or even just the tone. The movie feels like it has a beginning and and ending but there's no middle segment to actually develop any of the ideas that were set up before we get to the action climax. The 'middle' that exists in movie feels extremely compressed and as a result the movie feels undercooked.

Which is a shame because there's a fair share of really creative ideas, superb direction some truly exhilarating sequences. It's just not quite done.

Himegoto 01

Ya know for a trap he's very well endo-I MEAN THIS IS AN OK SHOW I GUESS I'LL KEEP WATCHING IT.

Re Hamatora 01

Someone please get this series better writers. Dear lord. Why am I watching another season of this? I guess I just like the characters too much.

phaze

Kyousougiga 10 END

This was really good. The happy ending didn't hit me in the feels as much as few other eps earlier but thats to be expected with the way things ended. A few scenes, at the beginning and close to the end reminded me of Evangelion.
Inari himself was almost like a new version of Shinji, only he went for the world destruction
with more forethought(and style).
I usually have a problem with the antagonist getting Talk no Jutsu'd and I don't necessarily think it was fully earned here but it worked better than in other places. Yakushimaru giving back the beads and than taking them of his own volition was a great closure to his character arc.
I suppose one could nitpick some unexplained things or even plotholes but this being
a story of children of God
I don't think there would be much point in it.

Must say, the show has really clicked on all fronts for me and easily takes its place among my favorites. Will have to sit on it but it might even edge out FLCL for me. An amazing audiovisual tour de force with great story, compelling characters and heartfelt moments. About everything I look for in Anime, can't recommend it enough.

cajunator

Banned
My wife and her two girlfriends had many drinks and then waited in line for the first panel. It was hosted by ero-artist and legend, Toshio Maeda. The panel was called something like "Hentai, the past, present and future of eromanga". But instead it was mostly Maeda talking about his personal record of "how many times he could do it", and speaking out against the Japanese censorship prevalent in adult works. That's about all I can remember. He was actually very humorous. After, the girls retired back to the room and I stayed for the next, which was like "Eromanga the good, the bad, and the WTF", which was hosted by some kid. They showed a lot of messed up slides, jokes were had and everybody laughed. Good times. After that I talked to some lady about hentai and boobs, and then made my way back to the hotel, to a room full of half dressed females strewn about pillowcases and bedsheets like the articles of clothing they left on the floor. AX is truly an exhausting event.

Extollere truly lives the life.
We missed you dude.

Must say, the show has really clicked on all fronts for me and easily takes its place among my favorites. Will have to sit on it but it might even edge out FLCL for me. An amazing audiovisual tour de force with great story, compelling characters and heartfelt moments. About everything I look for in Anime, can't recommend it enough.
This show hadn't blipped on my radar yet, but placing it up there with FLCL instantly makes me intrigued---even knowing absolutely 0 about it. I think I'll go in blind and start it up after I finish Log Horizon.

I really hope Shiroe is about to do some crazy shit and buy the whole guild hall or something. Hitting episode 8 now!

Shergal

I think you hit the nail on the head when you bring up the script because that's where all the problems in the movie stem from whether it's the pacing, characterisation or even just the tone. The movie feels like it has a beginning and and ending but there's no middle segment to actually develop any of the ideas that were set up before we get to the action climax. The 'middle' that exists in movie feels extremely compressed and as a result the movie feels undercooked.

Which is a shame because there's a fair share of really creative ideas, superb direction some truly exhilarating sequences. It's just not quite done.

Thinking more about it, I can picture Yoshiura coming up with the idea of inverted gravity thinking how awesome set-pieces he would make with it and how dynamic it could work out as a metaphor for storytelling (the whole "holding onto each other to rise above our differences" was as heavy-handed as those come, but it shows the potential); and then he reaches the realization- "but what about the story?" Who cares, we'll just throw some generic futurist dystopia + racism, people are gonna gobble it up, right?

wait the mecha anime has already aired.....is it good?

Argevellen is good for the military political type but could have had school folks instead of trained military folks to make a plot that is more interesting. Pretty serious toned even with some rather dull looking mechas, but the Argevellen itself is quite cool.

Aldnoah.Zero is the best mecha since valvrave, with great character, background, story, and science interest and visuals. Though we just need to see more of the mech. Its really good.

This show hadn't blipped on my radar yet, but placing it up there with FLCL instantly makes me intrigued---even knowing absolutely 0 about it. I think I'll go in blind and start it up after I finish Log Horizon.

I really hope Shiroe is about to do some crazy shit and buy the whole guild hall or something. Hitting episode 8 now!
I'm on mobile but imagine that there's a dogslysmile.jpg right over here.

It has potential, but first episode was kind of boring.

Cool. Definitely checking it out.

Argevellen is good for the military political type but could have had school folks instead of trained military folks to make a plot that is more interesting. Pretty serious toned even with some rather dull looking mechas, but the Argevellen itself is quite cool.

Aldnoah.Zero is the best mecha since valvrave, with great character, background, story, and science interest and visuals. Though we just need to see more of the mech. Its really good.

Zero is one that has me interested. Nice to hear about it.

lol was this all through a translator? and that not so stealth brag.

Aldnoah.Zero[/B] is the best mecha since valvrave, with great character, background, story, and science interest and visuals. Though we just need to see more of the mech. Its really good.
Dtl why can't you just admit you liked it because of pretty boys. Let's cut out the middle man when we all know that's what it was lol.

We've had one episode full of talking you can't make that claim of the best show since Jesus haha

Future Diary 13

Heh. Looks like Kinugawa.

So Akise and Nishijima are working together for some reason now? The observers modifying and betting on the game doesn't sound like it will end well. And that 'throne' Yuno got. Haha.

Oh, and I just noticed that Kosaka is voiced by Lucky Star/Nichijou/Haruhi Minoru Shiraishi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom