• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. Terribly annoying voice too if I remember correctly.

Opening was dope though.

One Piece 21-22

Sanji is cool but even he couldn't save those episodes from dullness. I hear this famed Aarlong arc is supposed to be one of early high points of show but I don't know if I will manage to drag my butt that far.

Keep on watching one piece it gets better and you'll start appreciating the cast. Arlong Arc is good and pretty much sad. So just hang in there because the series is my favorite, the begining isn't the best but it has great character interaction. And once you reach Water 7 Arc, man them feels. Also Oda's the man at flashbacks

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Jarmel

Banned
Akame Ga Kill-1

This is so fucking perfunctory. Everything seems fine production wise but there's just no atmosphere or tone. The scenes just come and go but don't linger.

Hanayamata 01

Ya know despite all the posts about it I never actually had an issue with the girl's faces at all. If anything Naru's indecisiveness annoyed me a bit otherwise the show is cute enough and the premise interesting enough for me to keep watching it.

Clannad 11

Well, the humor's starting out stronger this episode.

Tomoya alone with a girl. Takes a nap. This man gives no fucks.

Are we going down the Kyou route now?

ibl3AhG540VLn.jpg

Too soon.

Saying he would never get tired of eating it? Doesn't that count as a marriage proposal in anime?

The romance is getting pretty thick in here.

Random CG butterflies.

Did...did I just do shrooms or something?

Another new girl?

Bringing a cat to Kotomi's violin recital? Seems dangerous.

Oh god, the recital. Brilliant.

And here's the drama for this arc. He even wears a fedora.

Reading your impressions are great. Your getting every hint and all the little subtleties.

Jarmel

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul had a shitload of problems but at least it had atmosphere, something critical for a horror piece. The scenes were well done even if it was let down by the writing.

Tokyo Ghoul had a shitload of problems but at least it had atmosphere, something critical for a horror piece. The scenes were well done even if it was let down by the writing.

I want somebody to take the burger scene, wait for the tears, and then transition into the McDonalds "BADA BA BA BA I'M LOVING IT"

Stulaw

Mobile Suit Gundam-san 1

Ok, I'm not sure if I found it funny or not, Chibi Lalah is cute.

Maybe I need to watch it again.

Quasar

Barakamon 1

sogood.gif

Calling it now, anime of the season.

Great and interesting characters, feel good story, and good visuals. This is all I need.

tumblr_n89kn2t2ia1r9b5wlo1_500.gif

Naru is so freaking adorable especially with that accent/dialect.

Yeah. Thats pretty much my opinion based on the #1s I've seen and whats left to see.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

I was originally going to ignore this because romance + anime usually = lol

But I saw the positive things being said here and gave it a butchers and yeah it was pretty enjoyable.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1

I was originally going to ignore this because romance + anime usually = lol

But I saw the positive things being said here and gave it a butchers and yeah it was pretty enjoyable.

It's not a romance series, I really think the romance won't ever advance. It's pure comedy.

fertygo

Going by the few chapters of the manga I've read from this....

i5qj4rN.jpg

Why you keep mentioning this? they most likely doing total makeover of it, even chooney and free already very loose adapting the source material.

While that not saying anything, but keep referring to the manga being super bad or whatever also not gonna reflecting anything either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm a bit busy to watch the three anime I need to watch (hopefully tomorrow), but I figure I could check out the new 5 minute anime Himegoto.

DCkbVmPl.jpg

If three girls started slapping you with stacks of bills, would you dress up as a girl for them?

I found it weird that this manga in particular has become so popular, or at least popular enough that there have been several spinoffs based on the property. I guess people just want to see boys dressed as girls, but without all the gender dysphoria stuff. lol

So cnet and theonik are banned and we get two girls.

Coincidence?

OR CONSPIRACY?

OP pic described it as a romantic comedy so I'm just going off that.

The romance never advances from her crush on him, but it never really goes anywhere from there.
The show just focuses on the cast of characters and their interactions together, not to mention the manga humor. I promise you.

mankoto

Ao Haru Ride 1
So is this going to be one of those "it's okay, deep down he's a good guy," types of deals? It's not my preferred type of shoujo, but I can make due.

Rainbox 07-08

Oh man the physical trama they put Sakuragi through in order to kill him before his release... You'd think another guard would step in to stop this. Sakuragi's cell mates now have made the decision to break him out before Ishihara can kill him.

During the breakout, noble sacrifices were made. In the end only four of the seven cellmates escaped. Two of which who remained didn't get their backstory covered. I hope we'll see more of these characters eventually.

Soma

Why you keep mentioning this? they most likely doing total makeover of it, even chooney and free already very loose adapting the source material.

While that not saying anything, but keep referring to the manga being super bad or whatever also not gonna reflecting anything either.

Yeah and look how great those shows turned out to be!

Just saying, I'm keeping my expectations tempered. After the studio's recent output I'm not getting my hopes up for a series with such a weak source material regardless of which director is working on it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The romance never advances from her crush on him, but it never really goes anywhere from there.
The show just focuses on the cast of characters and their interactions together, not to mention the manga humor. I promise you.
You really should blurt out spoilers like that for someone who has only seen one episode. It is bad form. I simply said I was originally not going to watch it because romance can be badly handled in anime and I need to be a bit picky on shows so I don't end up watching everything. I already got over that hurdle so the concern is gone.

This is random, but Berserk has such an amazing soundtrack. Based Susumu. Its up there with Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell and Samurai Champloo as the all time greats.

You really should blurt out spoilers like that for someone who has only seen one episode. It is bad form. I simply said I was originally not going to watch it because romance can be badly handled in anime and I need to be a bit picky on shows so I don't end up watching everything. I already got over that hurdle so the concern is gone.

Sorry about that, didn't really consider it a spoiler since it seems to be a misconception that it's a romance manga.

Chariot

Now I am a bit disappointed.
I have this disease that when I don't watch at least one disgustingly sweet romance in a season I am going to die.

Now I am a bit disappointed.
I have this disease that when I don't watch at least one disgustingly sweet romance in a season I am going to die.

I love disgustingly sweet romances too. I can't remember if you're one of the ones who has read either already, but if not read Horimiya and Ore Monogatari. They're both disgustingly sweet and have little to no drama.

We might have one this season, but I doubt it.

Worst comes to worst, rewatch goodies.

I love disgustingly sweet romances too. I can't remember if you're one of the ones who has read either already, but if not read Horimiya and Ore Monogatari. They're both disgustingly sweet and have little to no drama.

SAO2?

cajunator

Banned
She can be whatever you need to be (please, don't think anything naughty or I'll cry).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpebArkqsLY

Advantages of being a digital pop star.

miku is everlasting love

Hi guys. o:

hi! Welcome back!!

I'm a bit busy to watch the three anime I need to watch (hopefully tomorrow), but I figure I could check out the new 5 minute anime Himegoto.

DCkbVmPl.jpg

If three girls started slapping you with stacks of bills, would you dress up as a girl for them?

I found it weird that this manga in particular has become so popular, or at least popular enough that there have been several spinoffs based on the property. I guess people just want to see boys dressed as girls, but without all the gender dysphoria stuff. lol

Yeah sure why not? Id be a very convincing girl.

fertygo

Yeah and look how great those shows turned out to be!

Well I already mentioning that, but its feel silly for me because there's big chance there won't any manga scene that gonna carried over but yet people keep mentioning it.

If the anime is bad its will because its own thing

Mokoi

Banned

Uhh, well thanks for the warning. Guess I won't be continuing. I like my romance shows to show some progression.

You know, I actually do like the relationship between Asuna and Kirito, but it seems like they'll pull a semi Monogatari and just have him adventure with other girls and expand his harem and give little attention to her besides the occasional "look we're together" scene.

Uhh, well thanks for the warning. Guess I won't be continuing. I like my romance shows to show some progression.
I wanted to give a warning for the most part if this was the sole reason you were watching it. I read the manga for this reason but I stayed because the comedy and characters were so well done I couldn't stop. So if you ever decide to give it another chance you won't be disappointed, at least if you come back in hopes for a great show.

Chariot

Ah right, you guys talked yesterday about Ore Monogatari. Sounds good, I will take a look at the manga tomorrow, thanks for the reccomendation.
Still sad that this season seem to deliver more on death than on love.
I think I have that too, is there a name for that
There has to be.

Isn't Kirito ntr'ing Asuna tho?
Could just be the doujinshi.

sonicmj1

Aldnoah Zero 1

There's a lot more good than bad here.

Reading impressions here about Urobuchi exposition let me know what to expect, but it was still about as bad as I'd been led to believe. Maybe this is just a necessary evil of trying to cram the start of a huge story into a 23-minute episode, but I know at least some of the people involved can do better. Perhaps it's not fair to compare it to the 75-minute Leftovers pilot, but that manages to communicate pretty much everything the viewer needs to know about a cult while barely using words, while this show thinks so little of me that it needs to say that the kids who were shown with robots doing military drills are piloting a "manned humanoid weapon". A lot of the light characterization stuff is a necessary evil, but at least use the time you have on things that matter. Instead of on ironic shooting star stuff.

iDLnjGKaCqGP6.jpg
io8XJMwnRsLGc.jpg

I'm probably nitpicking, but I don't need all these details that the characters probably wouldn't say to get the important parts of this information.

But writing cynicism aside, the grand sweep of this episode was damn cool. We get a great sense of visual contrast between the glossy metal of the Martian ships and the Earth. Things blow up great. There's more lens flare than I think I've ever seen in an anime. And given the time constraints, the show moves really smoothly between about five completely disparate character perspectives without ever feeling the slightest bit incoherent. I love how the show built tension during the parade, using the visuals to create drama while anchoring us to the student group through audio. Ei Aoki has always excelled at that stuff, so he's the perfect man for the job on something as ambitious as this show.

It feels like we're one episode away from whatever the plot is actually kicking off, but I feel like all the production pieces besides the writing are absolutely there, and there's plenty to build an exciting story from. I'll definitely be watching this week to week.

You know this is the reason it didn't feel terribly off when we got the info dump in Fate Zero. Characters were explaining/reading out loud the information since they were newbies. A newbie character is always a way to get your information out, even if a bit overused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom