• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:_Hamatora Episode 1
tumblr_n8cxcofmeK1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

Fantastic episode, seeing Birthday back with us again for more weeks is great, and just the entire group of Hamatora. Three months has been so long without them but they are still as wonderful and crazy. Opening scene was one hilarious way to start out discussing if Nice had those type of dvds or not and what to do with them. They are all too silly.

The various scene transitions used and even the dating game moments were just great. It was a really colourful and visually empowering experience.

Plot
Glad they didnt keep Nice dead for that long, the reveal, though anyone would have guessed he isnt dead, still felt surprising when the suit came off, and seeing his minimum ability on a level greater than everyone else to eliminate the group was what I had hoped to see this scene. Things are looking good

I just miss the multicoloured effects of the first part of Hamatora when Minimum Holders did things.

BearPawB

Banned
I think it is time to just admit to myself that I not only like Shojo anime, but it is maybe my favorite?

Not sure how to feel about that.

Blue Spring Ride Ep 1:

I like that right off of the bat we have one couple rather than a harem sort of thing. I think it is clear where this show is headed (accepting the real you and so on and so forth).

Love the animation. And the mc is adorable

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Ep 1:

I think i love this show even more than blue spring. Really enjoy the humor in this episode. And again, adorable MC.

And I am excited to get to watch a recreated Sailor Moon with my GF who is a fan of the original, where i have only seen a few sparing eps.

So as excited as i am for Aldnoah Zero, Akame ga kill, and season 2 of SAO. It is these damn shojos that I want to watch most.

I think it is time to just admit to myself that I not only like Shojo anime, but it is maybe my favorite?

So as excited as i am for Aldnoah Zero, Akame ga kill, and season 2 of SAO. It is these damn shojos that I want to watch most.

I'm currently standard shojo'd out, but there was a moment where I indeed liked those the best over everything else.

On a different note I'm going through my backlog list and deleting stuff I kind of wanted to watch when i was more accepting of meh anime. But ever since I have to share meh anime time with western tv, video games and hanging with friends I decided it's not worth it. Only keeping the good stuff in my backlog.

Jintor

Soul Eater NOT 11

A dude got rekt last episode, you know your main villain has mass crazy mind control powers, and you're still gonna have a mass public event? Death City vastly overestimates its security abilities. This is some stupid bullshit.

/edit anya that was some stupid shit

/edit everything about this is stupid. oh my god

Barakamon Episode 1

Holy shit that was one great heart-warming episode. This is the slice of life I need no the slice of life we all need. You would think the little girl Naru would be annoying but she is definitely not. She really makes a great dynamic to our grumpy MC who I also enjoy. It's also funny how he isn't ashamed of pushing a little kid, let alone punching someone. The opening is probably one of the top this season and my favorite. I also liked the ending.

They seem to bond nicely.
1a0ee2c9fb4fa8da4a97c206065f1ea51397104436_full.jpg

This probably may be the hit of the season.

Ryuuroden

Soul Eater NOT 11

A dude got rekt last episode, you know your main villain has mass crazy mind control powers, and you're still gonna have a mass public event? Death City vastly overestimates its security abilities. This is some stupid bullshit.

every time I see something like "mass public event" I have a horrible flashback to mid 00's and AJ's "Mass Naked Child Event's" miss-translation of GITS SAC.

Soul Eater NOT 11

The power of Friendship will fix anything!

Mokoi

Banned
Soul Eater NOT 11

Yeah I think you're a masochist.

Barakamon Episode 1

Holy shit that was one great heart-warming episode. This is the slice of life I need no the slice of life we all need. You would think the little girl Naru would be annoying but she is definitely not. She really makes a great dynamic to our grumpy MC who I also enjoy. It's also funny how he isn't ashamed of pushing a little kid, let alone punching someone. The opening is probably one of the top this season and my favorite. I also liked the ending.

They seem to bond nicely.

This probably may be the hit of the season.

Yeah I agree with it being the hit of the season. At least for me besides Terror in Resonance which I can't wait to see. Naru is also great she never came across as annoying in the manga for me. It's one of the better first episodes this season.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 1

This was another highly enjoyable anime this season. The characters shown so far are enjoyable and the visuals are quite good. The bicycle scene was also funny and the opening for this anime is great. I can't wait to see more of this.

Jintor

Soul Eater NOT 12 -END-

(Spoilerths) What is it with villains and licking people?

Finally some okay-looking action sequences tho. Nothing great. Oh yeah, great potion delivery method.

You can't use this as a memory jogger, you only established it two episodes ago! wtf

Oh yeah we all this solution coming months ago, zzz. I know they used it a little in SE proper, but they're really going out of their way in this to make the 'weapon dimension' basically an excuse for them to draw them naked.

God this animation is terrible. Sigh. It's sooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww. It looks horrendous and off-model the entire time. Oh yeah the finishing move just randomly connects. Wtf. Great job.

What a terrible series. Worse than bones eater.

/edit wait,
what happened to sid? Did they forget that he's alive in the first episode of soul eater?
wut

Firemind

I've read Horimiya. It was really good. Any other recs beside Ore Monogatari that's been mentioned.

Nodame Cantabile is my favourite romance comedy, but it's more josei than shoujo. Shoujo has the tendency to be a bit unbelievable. Looking at my shoujo list, Kimi ni Todoke, Ouran High School Host Club, Skip Beat, Special A, Sukitte Ii na yo, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, I dropped all of them.

On a different note I'm going through my backlog list and deleting stuff I kind of wanted to watch when i was more accepting of meh anime. But ever since I have to share meh anime time with western tv, video games and hanging with friends I decided it's not worth it. Only keeping the good stuff in my backlog.

How do you know it's meh tho? I just keep them organized by Watching (very interested), On Hold (somewhat interested), Plan to Watch (not very interested) and Dropped (not in a million years but you never know).

Barakamon 1

this is like everything I love about anime. So fucking good.

Like, big beaming smile on my face the whole way through. Contender for best of the season so far already.

Godlike OP and best ED of the season. The whole season in general has been really good for OPs and EDs.

This is probably the best anime season for me personally in a long time.

How do you know it's meh tho? I just keep them organized by Watching (very interested), On Hold (somewhat interested), Plan to Watch (not very interested) and Dropped (not in a million years but you never know).

I have an odd way of organizing my MAL list.

Watching - (simulcasts/backlog)
On-Hold - (finished and licensed series that I want to purchase)
Plan to Watch - (unaired series/non-licensed series I want to import)
Completed - (purchased series)
Dropped - (single DVD sets that are missing volumes)

Re:Hamatora 1

If you're going to pretend
the protag is dead for the whole episode, put the OP that features him prominently at the end!

I know the shows are meh because I added them and I've seen what they consist of, their reviews, and their plot synopsis. Basically they were potato chips I was saving up for later, but I decided I didn't want shit flavored.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (OVA)
uLlS8cA.jpg

Everything about this OVA special was simply breathtaking. It was like watching poetry in motion.

I haven't seen a sci-fi epic of this quality since Yamato 2199. And with one OVA this almost blew it out of the water, I can't even imagine what it'll do to it with the other specials and the main series. If Yamato 2199 is Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica, then Legend of the Galactic Heroes has to be Star Wars meets Game of Thrones meets The Art of War. Emphasis on the art because every battle was orchestrated in such a fashion that I was glued to me screen.

You see the battles in the OVA weren't a mean to show you cool explosions/effects, bring tension to the plot and demonstrate the hideousness of destruction. The battles in here showed me the beauty of strategy. It was like watching Fantasia if it dealt with war and didn't have giant cartoon animals. And I mean that, the soundtrack composed of classical pieces gave nothing short but a sense of grandiose class to the scenes.

wmnVPki.jpg

I'm very story driven in my taste, and this didn't have much besides introducing characters that I assume are the main focus of the series. But even then it didn't bother me. I watched something amazing and I couldn't be happier.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars gets 9/10 Woofs. Cannot wait to watch more of this series. As a fan of sci fi I can't believe it took me this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom