• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this is the reason it didn't feel terribly off when we got the info dump in Fate Zero. Characters were explaining/reading out loud the information since they were newbies. A newbie character is always a way to get your information out, even if a bit overused.

Fate/Zero ep 1 was a damn long infodump... but I didn't mind a lot because the characters and setting and groups presented were intriguing.

sonicmj1

You know this is the reason it didn't feel terribly off when we got the info dump in Fate Zero. Characters were explaining/reading out loud the information since they were newbies. A newbie character is always a way to get your information out, even if a bit overused.

A newbie character is a useful crutch, but you don't need it. People are generally pretty good at picking up patterns. If you give them enough of the milieu of a setting, they'll understand things.

The radio program playing during the drill was also insultingly direct. It's like if a news report about Afghanistan started by explaining exactly what happened on 9/11. We know the moon blew up because you already showed us. We know Heaven's Fall was catastrophic because you already showed us on the bus. As long as you can tell us that it happened because of the Hyper Gate, you don't need to give us a history lesson that the characters don't need.

Jintor

Soul Eater Not! 9

vlcsnap-2014-06-07-16h16m09s234.jpg

Why am I still watching this

There's a difference between characters explaining things to each other which can inform the audience and characters saying things blatantly for the audience's sake. Fate/Zero episode one encompasses the latter.

Edit: If you don't want to put in the effort to properly integrate your exposition into character interactions, then have a narrator. Don't half-ass it.

I've read Horimiya. It was really good.

Well you should read O-
Any other recs beside Ore Monogatari that's been mentioned.
:'(

If you don't mind manga, which it seems like you don't: Hibi Chouchou, Bonnouji (HIGHLY recommended), Yandere Kanojo (largely a gag manga but the two get together in the first page lol).

Anime doesn't have much diabeetus romance. Besides Acchi Kocchi I guess but that's more comedy than romance.

Ryuuroden

Aldnoah Zero 1

There's a lot more good than bad here.

Reading impressions here about Urobuchi exposition let me know what to expect, but it was still about as bad as I'd been led to believe. Maybe this is just a necessary evil of trying to cram the start of a huge story into a 23-minute episode, but I know at least some of the people involved can do better. Perhaps it's not fair to compare it to the 75-minute Leftovers pilot, but that manages to communicate pretty much everything the viewer needs to know about a cult while barely using words, while this show thinks so little of me that it needs to say that the kids who were shown with robots doing military drills are piloting a "manned humanoid weapon". A lot of the light characterization stuff is a necessary evil, but at least use the time you have on things that matter. Instead of on ironic shooting star stuff.

But writing cynicism aside, the grand sweep of this episode was damn cool. We get a great sense of visual contrast between the glossy metal of the Martian ships and the Earth. Things blow up great. There's more lens flare than I think I've ever seen in an anime. And given the time constraints, the show moves really smoothly between about five completely disparate character perspectives without ever feeling the slightest bit incoherent. I love how the show built tension during the parade, using the visuals to create drama while anchoring us to the student group through audio. Ei Aoki has always excelled at that stuff, so he's the perfect man for the job on something as ambitious as this show.

It feels like we're one episode away from whatever the plot is actually kicking off, but I feel like all the production pieces besides the writing are absolutely there, and there's plenty to build an exciting story from. I'll definitely be watching this week to week.

Lens flare!!! Is JJ abrams in charge?!!?!?

How godlike are we talking here?

The humor is done very well, the main couple is very sweet, and the side characters are pretty great. The art is meh, but everything else is pretty great. I swear the main female character and the little sister (Especially the latter) look and act like they came from Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Lurky

The humor is done very well, the main couple is very sweet, and the side characters are pretty great. The art is meh, but everything else is pretty great. I swear the main female character and the little sister (Especially the latter) look and act like they came from Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Interesting... Does anyone look like Hagimura?

Close enough. And there's an actual yandere right? Because I'd feel gypped if there wasn't.

Ah no. The lead female is a violent gang leader, the main male is a studious average guy. They basically fall in love and start dating. The yan apparently comes from the whole gang thing. It's a mistitle. It's really great though highly recommended. Many of the scenes are broken up into 4-panel situations, but it does have plenty of regular manga chapters. Look at this example page.

(read it top to bottom right to left)

sasuke_91

Barakamon - 01

This could become my favourite Anime this season. Seriously, I instantly like the characters, the accent of that little girl is great. The anime is lighthearted and funny, great atmosphere. I want more of this!

Jintor

Soul Eater Not! 10

I looked it up and the little fortune-teller is the same VA as Renge from Non Non Biyori using more or less exactly the same voice. So that's something.

Gundam Build Fighters 23-25 [END]

Wow. I didn't think an anime about Gunpla could be that much fun. And now I'm reading on the GundamInfo youtube page that there's another season coming this fall! Squeeeee!

Barakamon Hype Train is unstoppable :)

Where can I watch it? CR doesn't seem to have it.

Hattori

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 23-25 [END]

Wow. I didn't think an anime about Gunpla could be that much fun. And now I'm reading on the GundamInfo youtube page that there's another season coming this fall! Squeeeee!

Where can I watch it? CR doesn't seem to have it.
Proxy or wait for Funimation.

Jintor

Soul Eater Not 10 (con't)

On a more substantive note, this crap is ridiculous. The action plot wouldn't be out of place in normal soul eater - the threat is quite good, the twist decent enough, etc - but it's dulled by extremely shitty execution, terrible art, and just the constant reminder that this begun as a chilled out slice of life (a not very good one either) which somewhat takes the edge off things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom