• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
I actually liked it all..... up until that ending. You don't do that to people who played three games to see an amazing ending. There should have been blue babies and everything. And fireworks!

cheeky.gif

dota 2 emoticons

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is probably my second favourite show from last season now. Onii-sama is just too entertaining.

thinking about mahouka.... it really does feel like the author just wants to write about lore shit all day, but publishers and editors force him to add in waifus and incest and shit to boost sales.

you don't really feel the 'passion' in those bits, unlike other perverted writers.

TUSR

Banned
thinking about mahouka.... it really does feel like the author just wants to write about lore shit all day, but publishers and editors force him to add in waifus and incest and shit to boost sales.

you don't really feel the 'passion' in those bits, unlike other perverted writers.

hes gary stu man, everyone wants to be him or be with him. except that crimson prince guy i guess

fertygo

Ao Haru Ride - 01

I love it, probably my favorite episode on this season so far.. god I love good shoujo, the drama in 2nd half are so cweet...

Btw I didn't know Kaji Yuuki playing stoic role is what I always wanted, his voice is so dreamy in this, kyaaa..

This season sure have some notable seiyuu that playing unusual role, some that I catch.

Kazuya Nakai that famous with hot blooded role (such like Date in Sengoku Basara and One Piece's Zorro) playing role with softer voice for character that seem gonna being briefing commander in Aldnoah.Zero

Daisuke Ono playing protagonist that being a lot in Barakamon, a role that usually Nakamura Yuuichi specialize. Meanwhile Yuuichi himself voicing archetype that Ono usually doing in Gekkan Shoujo lol.

And now Kajii Yuuki in this show doing role that I not usually heard from him, I like this trend.

No Game No Life seemed to have some incesty implications, but I don't think anyone took that too seriously.

Shiro was so squeeeedorable.

mankoto

Honestly can't stand the LN. The info dumps put me to sleep.

Mature

Barakamon - 1
Q2v6iPWl.jpg

Very impressed with this first episode. Meditative, attractive, funny— those 23 minutes flew by. The welcoming and intimate small community on the island atmosphere was handled very lovingly. My first thought was "this sort of feels like a movie", but I think I was just immediately reminded of the sort of charismatic character dynamics you'd see in something like a Hosoda film. It looks good, but I was more struck by how great it sounded. Seeing Kenji Kawai's name didn't surprise me. This one came out of nowhere and planted itself firmly in the list of shows i'll be watching this season.

Glasslip - 1
This sort of seemed like it had the opportunity to become a quiet and peaceful show, but judging by the interactions with "new guy" it smells like it'll devolve pretty quickly into petty melodrama. Though even if it isn't, I wasn't particularly taken in by the characters, tone or atmosphere. It looked good enough though.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - 1
Hey, this was kind of cute. I liked that it was mostly light hearted and funny. My one issue is wondering how this will fare in the long run. Some of the animation surprised me in the same way Love Lab did. I'd kind of prefer it to be a gag comedy, but I can't really tell if that's where it's going. Will watch more.

fertygo

First episode ranking

Best
Ao Haru Ride

Very good
Barakamon
Sabagebu

Good
Gekkan Shoujo
Tokyo Ghoul

Boring set-up
SAO2
Aldnoah

Meh
Akame Ga Kill

dropped
Argevollen something

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Here we go again.

Yami 7

I'm with you you, Lilith. Fuck magic, I want some hot chocolate.

You can't protect SHIT kid, the fuck are you talking about.

Get fucked Tweety.

That's roundabout way of saying this is a flashback.

Hadzuki you're the weirdest fucking person. Overtly possessive but then suddenly shy, fuck.

Why are you helping her out of the water? She was swimming just fine

oh boy here we go lewd meter going off the charts!

The school's name is
St. Feminine Girls High School?!
lololololololololololololololol

here we go again!

1402457236013.png

CAT R2D2 CAT R2D2 JESUS CHRIST

PANCAKES ARE LOVE I REALIZE THIS NOW

School Days 6

YOU'RE STILL AT IT?!

2uX7zDx.png

*sigh* You're at fault here too, Sekai. Errbody be fucked up. I'm fucked up just watching this show.

Keep thinking with your dick, kid.

Here we go. It begins. You all done fucked up. You've passed the point of no return.

I don't even feel sorry for you kids anymore. Fuck.

Someone put me out of my misery.

Three girls? WHAT DO THEY FUCKING SEE IN MAKOTO I DON'T UNDERSTAND

SERIOUSLY

gQoddkJ.jpg

hahahaha oh boy here we fucking go and we're only half way there

Looking at the lineup for this season, I forgot that new Persona 4 adaptation was airing. Is that going to be completely new footage or something?

fertygo

Looking at the lineup for this season, I forgot that new Persona 4 adaptation was airing. Is that going to be completely new footage or something?

Apparently, its only for 1 cour if I'm just not reading too much the fact its first blu-ray is one episode deal.

Blusby

You should watch Stay Night first.

It gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it. Will help you a lot going into Zero as well.

No, he really shouldn't and Zero explains the HGW much better than how DEEN's adaption tried to, plus Zero's actually good!
DEEN absolutely butchered one of Nasu's most interesting characters, I can only hope that Ufotable doesn't follow in their footsteps, but then again that director...

It's going to be animated by A-1 this time and have the additions from the Golden, notably a new character named Marie.

fertygo

No, he really shouldn't and Zero explains the HGW much better than how DEEN's adaption tried to, plus Zero's actually good!
DEEN absolutely butchered one of Nasu's most interesting characters, I can only hope that Ufotable doesn't follow in their footsteps, but then again that director...

Mirai Fukuin was great, I had hope.

Akagi 26 END

Pretty good series, although I didn't like it as much as Kaiji. I'm clueless about Mahjong, but still found it very entertaining, although I think I was starting to understand it by the end. Plus most of the cast seemed to be clueless about what was going on anyway so I was good.

Akagi himself is an interesting protagonist. He has few redeeming qualities and would probably count as a villain in most series, as he has a lot of villainous characteristics. Cold and calculating, general disregard to his own impending deaths, cruel, uncaring and probably insane. But that's what makes him interesting. I think I might like him more then Kaiji.

Washizu I found to be alright until the last few episodes where he really shone, when he became "possessed" and all of that, his great voice actor adding to all of it. Still liked Hyodo better.

This series starts out by saying Akagi is the "Genius who Descended into the Darkness". That sets a pretty hard precedent by basically saying "Akagi will lose none of these matches". Despite knowing that, the matches are still interesting to watch just to see what he does. Although I feel like part of the reason I liked Kaiji more was because it was more unclear who the victor would be. Kind of.

At the beginning of the last match, I was wondering how they were going to cover 6 Han Chan sessions at the speed they were going. Well it was simple -
They uh, don't. They stop after the fourth. I guess there wasn't enough material, and I guess from what people tell me this match is still going in the manga? What the hell. Akagi pouring out all his blood then dumping cigarette butts and ashes into it was pretty badass though.

Great OP, great ED's.
Pray 4 Kurosawa adaptation.

Blusby

Mirai Fukuin was great, I had hope.

Lol, the director is the guy who did the 6th film. The 6th changed around the plotting so much and cut down on so many scenes that it had barely any resemblance to the source material, and not for the better either.

mankoto

School Days 6

YOU'RE STILL AT IT?!

gQoddkJ.jpg

I see you're enjoying yourself.

Considering it's a different studio, and a reduced episode count (25 + OVA down to 12) plus Marie, I'd assume so.

cajunator

Banned
Here we go again.

Yami 7

I'm with you you, Lilith. Fuck magic, I want some hot chocolate.

You can't protect SHIT kid, the fuck are you talking about.

Get fucked Tweety.

That's roundabout way of saying this is a flashback.

Hadzuki you're the weirdest fucking person. Overtly possessive but then suddenly shy, fuck.

Why are you helping her out of the water? She was swimming just fine

oh boy here we go lewd meter going off the charts!

The school's name is
St. Feminine Girls High School?!
lololololololololololololololol

here we go again!

1402457236013.png

CAT R2D2 CAT R2D2 JESUS CHRIST

PANCAKES ARE LOVE I REALIZE THIS NOW

School Days 6

YOU'RE STILL AT IT?!

2uX7zDx.png

*sigh* You're at fault here too, Sekai. Errbody be fucked up. I'm fucked up just watching this show.

Keep thinking with your dick, kid.

Here we go. It begins. You all done fucked up. You've passed the point of no return.

I don't even feel sorry for you kids anymore. Fuck.

Someone put me out of my misery.

SERIOUSLY

gQoddkJ.jpg

These shows will slowly eat your brain. Use caution!

Link Man

Banned
Clannad 12

And we have another named girl. Wonder if she'll play any part in the future.
That was a drama club gag.

Whoa, it's weird to see everyone in street clothes. Or is it weird that this is the first occurrence?

So we have dialogue that doesn't match the action. That's a bit strange.

Must. Resist. Anteater. Meme.

WAT?!

lol

So, is the theme that Okazaki is a guy who fixes broken people? Cause that's the way it seems thus far.

You know, it's a bit odd that this guy waited through the whole first arc, until the point that Okazaki and friends jumped in, to try and contact Kotomi.

Oh. Oh no.

God damn it. That was manipulative.

Well, this just got really serious.

And things are getting interesting. And weird.

And now I'm hooked.

DominoKid

Got around to finishing Psycho-Pass. What an odd show. When they were actually in the field it was really good. But goddamn it could damn near be a radio drama w/ how much characters ran their mouths.

I hope they cut back on the monologues for S2.

fertygo

Lol, the director is the guy who did the 6th film. The 6th changed around the plotting so much and cut down on so many scenes that it had barely any resemblance to the source material, and not for the better either.

That's not my point, I said it again (because I want to) Mirai Fukuin was great.

But judging from F/Z production, they gonna taking multiple team route that handling different set of episode again.. choosing in-house name as general director probably mean they will implement the method even further and the director input will even less than what they had under Aoki.

I think so, or at least it'll be dealing with Marie and whatnot
Apparently, its only for 1 cour if I'm just not reading too much the fact its first blu-ray is one episode deal.
It's going to be animated by A-1 this time and have the additions from the Golden, notably a new character named Marie.
Considering it's a different studio, and a reduced episode count (25 + OVA down to 12) plus Marie, I'd assume so.
Huh. Such an odd production. Sounds like it could be interesting (relative to other adaptations) even if it turns out bad.

Chariot

Got around to finishing Psycho-Pass. What an odd show. When they were actually in the field it was really good. But goddamn it could damn near be a radio drama w/ how much characters ran their mouths.

I hope they cut back on the monologues for S2.
Yeah, the worst part for me when they explained Panapticon for no other reason but to show that Urobuchi knows what a Panapticon is.

Clannad 12

And things are getting interesting.

And now I'm hooked.

This is what I like to hear!! :D

Fixes sounds a bit wrong, even if it's essentially what he does. In Clannad he's running around, helping his friends to move on.

Yeah I hear you. It's not like he helps just anyone. Just people he knows. He essentially tells helps people along. The problems themselves are usually resolved by the person having the problem. And it's actually contrasts well with the fact that Tomoya Okazaki doesn't face his own problems and would rather help other people with their problems. It's that personality trait that makes him feel human and makes you get attached to him and his antics.

Kvik

School Days 6

I'd like to think School Days is actually a 'deconstruction' of harem genre. A cautionary tale of sorts, even. There were practically no redeeming qualities whatsoever for the main character. :-\

fertygo

Give it to me straight, Ferty: should I even bother with these two?

Aldnoah despite have boring first episode seem promising in long run because the premise and the staff. Maybe you can ask again after few week.

Don't even bother will other one, I don't even know why they even make it.

CorvoSol

Aldnoah despite have boring first episode seem promising in long run because the premise and the staff. Maybe you can ask again after few week.

Don't even bother will other one, I don't even know why they even make it.

Heh. The other one is the one Bombless has high hopes for. I think I'll table both of them and come back to them later on. I love Mecha, but there hasn't been anything good out of the CGI mecha bucket since Gargantia and Valvrave, I kinda think.

Thoraxes

There's a british anime in Crunchy if you want to watch it. Pretty competent sci-fi adventure with hints of romance. It's called Time Jam. It is extremely british.

As to xenoblade, it was a bit too british for me

"'OY! LOOKIE O'VA DE'AAAAAA! EET'S A LI'HL SKEE'H'AH! LET'S BA'H'LE HIM!"

It's actually a French/Japanese show (material and production). VA-work is another story.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd like to think School Days is actually a 'deconstruction' of harem genre. A cautionary tale of sorts, even. There were practically no redeeming qualities whatsoever for the main character. :-\
It's almost like he has a fatal character flaw that is propelling him to an inevitable downfall!

mankoto

I'd like to think School Days is actually a 'deconstruction' of harem genre. A cautionary tale of sorts, even. There were practically no redeeming qualities whatsoever for the main character. :-
I thought of it that way and it seemed better afterwards.

I know right? So happy about that. How he reacted was the right way to respond. With laughter. :)

I couldn't laugh at that. It was amusing when Tomoya ran into her in the hall and there was that pause and then afterwards she did that
zombie thing,
but not the other times.

Link Man

Banned
6 episodes into Ranma, and this is just a really fun show. Loving the characters (Dr. Tofu is a bit too much, I'll admit) and the humor.

However, I won't be doing an episode-by-episode review for it. I feel that I've been doing that too much with my backlog, and it's starting to hurt my enjoyment. It's kind of nice to just watch a show without having to think about what I want to share or comment on.

Ah no. The lead female is a violent gang leader, the main male is a studious average guy. They basically fall in love and start dating. The yan apparently comes from the whole gang thing. It's a mistitle. It's really great though highly recommended. Many of the scenes are broken up into 4-panel situations, but it does have plenty of regular manga chapters. Look at this example page.

(read it top to bottom right to left)

Hehe. Maybe I should read this sometime.

Well.... it's funnier in the dub honestly.

I have issues with it being there at all after what happened earlier more than any sub vs dub issue.

Defuser

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki Kun ep 1

1u7jxl.jpg

Very light hearted and amusing which I enjoyed it. I chucked at Nozaki's ridiculous ideas and drawings.

Just watched Akame ga Kill and I don't know how to feel about it. So much gore and horrific serious things happening yet it was so fast paced and seemed to play out with a sense of comedy.

It was just very weird.

I really don't get the logic behind the exposition in Fate/Zero. -_- Some information is crammed down the viewer's throat while some things are left rather vague like how magic works. Am I supposed to know information obtained from Fate/stay night?

Fate/Zero ep. 6

Ugh, some really bad dialogue in this episode. First the scene with Kayneth and Sola-Ui and then the conversation between Archer and Kirei

Fate/Zero ep. 7

Kiritsugu's emotional outburst was just bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was lacking and compounding some of the show's problems. Aniplex strikes me as being really fucking cheap, so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Edit: Despite my complaints I still find it entertaining and gripping, but the show tries too hard to engage the viewer intellectually and critical thinking doesn't do it a whole lot favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom