• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
But what about Gochuumon, Soredemo and Wixoss? (I didn't watch Wixoss, but friends of mine had hight praise for the show)

Yeah GochiUsa has been a treat. Soredemo I kind of stopped for a while to catch up with other shows that interested me more but Ill get back to it. Wixoss I havent started but it should be a fun diversion. I might wait on that one until it comes out on BR and just blind watch it.

Kino's Journey 12

I read a pretty great piece yesterday about the mass torture and murder of political dissidents in Argentina, so I was primed to think about that at first. But this episode actually reads as a metaphor for imperialism or post-WWII politics. The powerful nations fight their smaller proxy battles against the less-powerful "third world" masses. Is this unjust peace really better than a just war?

The sound design in this episode was incredibly good. From the uncanny keening... something that lets you know something's wrong in this town, to the crack of the rifle shots in military drills, to the radio chatter during the war, to the kick of Kino's bike as she leaves, the sounds build and enhance the contrast between the peace this town values and the war it undertakes. Attention to detail in sound design is one of those things that you can't point to in a screenshot, but it can make a good show truly great just as much as strong visual direction can. Kino's Journey excels in both.

What a brutal episode. It's not even kind enough to make one side completely unsympathetic, or completely sympathetic.

This episode hits so hard in so many ways. Its horrifying on some grand scale, but as the woman in the museum says, unless you have a certain special perspective you wouldnt even begin to understand why it makes sense to some people to do it that way. I think it is saying something about human experiences and how horrible atrocities make sense in the eyes of a few and that all perspectives can be justified somehow, by someone. Human nature will always find ways to justify horrible things and someone will always be the subject of persecution. thats how humanity is at its darkest hour. But at the same time, humanity is also many wonderful things. Kino's journey doesnt cherrypick. It lays it all out for you to view.
With one episode left Im sure you are wishing there was so much more.

Yay new Summer season. too bad it'll probably take me to Winter to watch any of it :p catching up on stuff from Winter and previous watch commitments ;o

Yay new Summer season. too bad it'll probably take me to Winter to watch any of it :p catching up on stuff from Winter and previous watch commitments ;o

BHnWwRS.gif

Tokyo Ghoul 01

Alright first episode. Definitely looks pretty, but after learning
it becomes a battle shonen
I pretty much have no desire to continue.

I have a feeling this and Akame ga Kill will be popular though.

Sorry LinkMan. I have been meaning to respond to your Clannad impressions but I have been very busy. Also I have just finished my interview at a game developer so I will have to watch the first episode of Glasslip on my tablet as I visit my parents.

And how did I make top 10 on wall of shame. I didn't even post that much!

Chariot

why can't I hold all these waifus?
Because your supposed to only hold one true waifu in your imaginary arms.
Akame ga Kill going to be best anime of the season!
Somehow I doubt that, given the mixed things I heard. This season has sequels to very strong shows. If Akame ga Kill will really be the best show this season I will be surprised.
And probably that because that means, that the shows I betting my money on are gonna be worse.

cajunator

Banned
I agree. Many anime viewers are too obsessed with watching everything, which leads to them getting upset when everything doesn't deliver.

Mushishi, man. (And other stuff but mostly Mushishi.)

Yeah I know. I usually latch onto a few shows that interest me the most, and in some cases well into the season after people have taken a liking to them. I typically start 6 to 10 shows a season and whittle that down to 3-4 over time. A lot of times I just wait for blurays.

Serial Experiments Lain and Strike Witches

Those are excellent choices. Fully recommend those, for vastly different reasons hehee.

K-On sucks.

My number one question for this season is whether Sailor Moon will be more disappointing than how terrible SAO2 is.

SIlly Jman. But we dont know if SAO2 will be any good yet. It might surprise us right?
Right? anyone?

Ping Pong - 1

There's always someone better than you. :(

The show really oozes style, and ended doing more with the characters than I initially thought it would.

It feels Tarantino-esque.

Blusby

Funny thing about Ghoul, I expect this to be heavily rushed because there's been confirmed to be only 4 volumes of BD's. Unless there is a split cour planned I expect this to be a pretty looking, but rushed to hell mess. They even cut out key pieces of Kaneki's monologue that foreshadows his development path.

cajunator

Banned
I'm about to start watching Aikatsu.

I fear that I've made a grave mistake.

Nah. Its harmless idol fun. Can do much worse.

It looks like one those shows ruined by dumb fanservice.

Same thing for not-FMP by Xebec.

Great shows arent ruined by fanservice though. They overcome it!

Managed to find a legit copy of those Evangelion movies and it arrived today:

Got the Non Non Biyori fan book too.

Oooh! I ordered that from CDJapan but they told me the gochiusa book was sold out forever but I found a copy of it elsewhere. Ill be receiving it sometime this month hopefully.

blood sword girl megane was pretty pandering. shame it was shit.

Mirai is a miracle of cuteness. Love her sooooo much! Her show though yeah it was meh.

locodol 1

another season, another idol show! Art is pleasant, but its pretty dull so far. the eyecatches are lovely.

And lol that rail wars gif. i thought new duckroll regime doesn't allow that stuff no more?

cajunator

Banned
CG animation is still animation. Don't discriminate.

This is true. It depends how well its executed, not that its CG itself. good CG can be hard to distinguish from normal animation.

Cg animation is so good in the west. Shame japan can't fucking do that. Even that how to train your Dragon tv show looks better.

Heck Kung fucking fu panda tv show looks better than anything japan has done outside of final fantasy films.

Western CG is much more advanced because of stronger acceptance of it. It is the chosen medium to tell stories. In Japan it seems to merely be a shortcut for budget purposes or making scenes easier to produce.
Still, I dont want to see an all CG future for anime. It has a distinct look that only hand drawn can really convey. Western features dont really require this "look" to identify themselves.

My reactions to most of this weekend's shows will be late since I'm going to Supercon. But the weekend does have some good stuff.

Im going to be very busy tonight and through the weekend at work with 12 hour shifts until Tuesday when I can finally rest again.

No Game No Life [Finished]

A real fun run, it felt short and left in a high point, which is a bit of a downer because I wanted more! The one think I liked the most is that there seems to be a good chemistry between characters, with an amusing balance between seriousness and jokes. Beyond the excess of fanservice, you find this is a group of characters that work well witch each other and made me smile in many occasions. I also like most of the designs and feel the art is beautiful in its saturation, so I find it pleasant to watch.

Some high points for me:

The speech
7FJ9DUU.jpg

It was the high point of the series for me, it even felt a bit out of place, like it could work well in something way more serious than NGNL, but that's exactly why the series work for me.

My only complain about this is that the series it´s not really consistent regarding Sora's personality, it´s hard to think that a guy with supposed zero social skills can do that speech. This guy right here:

lWgOpFS.jpg

Some original games
sNuRzR5.jpg

Yes, we know Sora and Shiro are unbeatable because they are so awesome and bla, bla, bla. I didn't expect actual tension but I hoped for a nice execution, and I felt the series delivered on this. All the main games were enjoyable to watch and follow, with some real thought put on them.

Enjoyable characters
0o8iC4m.jpg

Excusing the fanservice, I felt every character had her moment to shine. Even poor Dora.

Jibril!

Seeing her drool at something new and unknown was always a highpoint of the series for me:

Jibril and Fil!

Ei8NipM.jpg

It was brief but glorious, the exchanges between Jibril and Fil were hilarious and I hope to see more from both in S2 (hopefully).

References

1yAEq1U.jpg

There is a sense of playfulness in all the series (duh) and I feel the ton of references added to that feeling.

So, yeah, a really enjoyable run. For main complains, as I have said before, the fanservice is way too excessive and I don't think I will ever understand the trope of "brothers that
are not really brothers and
love each other a lot" but I don't mind, it´s not the type of stuff that makes me value less my time with a series.

So:

Yes, it is.

(Note, If I have used too many images, I'm really sorry, I wanted to illustrate each point to make the post more entertaining. If it´s annoying just tell me and I will edit ASAP)

NGNL was a pleasant pleasant surprise. The appearance of the show initially left me cold but I got used to it and it was well worth it. Its one of the most fun shows I have seen in a while. It was playful and silly but I didnt feel dumb watching it because of the problem solving/strategy stuff. I love that kind of thing. I love seeing characters think their way out of tough situations, especially when everything is on the line. Blank never loses because Blank cannot afford to.

TUSR

Banned
Browsing this and the Spring thread the last few days put Rail Wars on my radar. That GIF pretty much destroyed any desire to watch it...

World Cup and people getting banned. Oh, and 11th ;P

I counted 10 for some reason. *shrugs*
But still...... Oh well. Let's see if I can surpass the Woof this time. :p

Also I noticed of the two shows that have "Zero" in the titles, they both had not so happy ending for characters. Of course I am talking about Gai Rei Zero and Fate Zero. I am seeing a trend!!!

I counted 10 for some reason. *shrugs*
But still...... Oh well. Let's see if I can surpass the Woof this time. :p

Also I noticed of the two shows that have "Zero" in the titles, they both had not so happy ending for characters. Of course I am talking about Gai Rei Zero and Fate Zero. I am seeing a trend!!!

I'm sure Aldnoah Zero by the master of happiness Urobotcher will shift that trend

Rail Wars 1

I don't know what I expected.

what-the-fuck-tom-delonge-gif.gif

No this can't be Railwars. The trailer made it out to be like it was going to be a great show about the security at train stations, perhaps romance and good visuals and I get treated with this shit. I don't know why I got hyped now.

You just single-handedly killed my anticipation for my my MOST anticipated anime of the season. Fuck anime. Fuck this summer season. I'm going to the beach......oh wait I live in London fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom