• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

It runs in the same magazine that's serialized Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Precure tie-in magna, etc. The narrator said as much in the show.

It and Stella C3 aren't even in the same demographic. (And I'd be willing to argue that beyond the premise, they're not even in the same genre.)

(Also, I still stand by liking Stella C3. Having a series in the nebulously defined moe/military "genre" that was more about character introspection was just what I was looking for.)

Hunter X Hunter 137

The start of new arc was good even if it was basically talking, but it was interesting. The smiling rat dude seems suspicious though and a bit creepy. It was nice seeing old characters and new. And Ging I don't want to call you a dick but you've been a really lousy father. It was also funny seeing Hisoka get worried that his potentials were on the verge of death.

Other than Hime's parents being scumbags, there's not really much in common at all.

Well i was talking about the initial premise , not what it becomes

---------------------
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - 04

That info dump , that increase in stakes , those squellettons in each closet

So good.

The worse part ? IT MAKE SENSE.

But let me start by the beginning.

The pre-meeting:
That was wrong , it felt wrong ..in fact this sudden develloppement felt so quick. You have no idea how happy i was , when it was revealed that she knew something was wrong and played along

but things got even more weird. Suddenly the roles are reversed and it's heavily implied that our MC has many secrets. Well why not ?

The meeting
So we've got our shonen moment, very nicely animated i must say it's a shame we don't see they girl side payoff. On the boy side however, what should have been a one sided massacre was yet again forshadowed by nanana in the previous episode.
What a stupid weakness. But hey at least we can explain why this cane was in that location ( AND NOT IN A FREAKING VAULT )

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2004.jpg

No , just NO
World domination ?
Seriously ?
That's not gonna happen. it doesn't matter what you have on your hand it's impossible.
Conquest ? Maybe . Domination ? out of the question.

World domination is like the shameless and less usefull dream possible.
Not only , you can't do it ( everyone who has tried died before they could achieve this ) but WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS ? Is this the limit of your dream ?
World domination sucks and i , R_thanatos does not approuve.

The Afterfight
Anyway.The episode continues and then the impressive delivery.
Everything after the fight was awesome.
That trap on the escape point ? most impressive
That speech before taking the goods and saying " i don't want your money plebs !" was most impressive and this could have been an highlight if not....

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2004_02.jpg

Don't praise her too much
3 whole episodes of lies and deceptions to reach this point. That explanation on " i knew about it and i was spying on you the whole time" was priceless. The most impressive part?

It's not OVER.

The Mc dad calls on the phone to provide some stupid absurd backstory that actually change everything and EVEN explain on this episode surprises !

It's might be hard to understand but i was very impressed by this episode.
I liked the pacing , i enjoyed ALL THE TWISTS and i'm especially found of the way all the clues were provided beforehand so it doesn't become some deus ex machina cheap twist.

It was a damn good episode.

Tenumi

Banned
*Sigh*

I think I'm going to get some sleep and hope I feel better in the morning. There's something that's annoying me, and I'm not talking about the C.Girls game thread thing or whatever.

Good night. Hope all goes well for everyone.

Sabagebu! 1

Based on the description, I thought this was just going to be a C3 rip-off. But it's actually really funny and a little pervy at times. I can see this turning out to be one of my favorite shows this season.

And was it just me, or was that one girl's costume toward the end a Jill Valentine reference?

It runs in the same magazine that's serialized Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Precure tie-in magna, etc. The narrator said as much in the show.

It and Stella C3 aren't even in the same demographic. (And I'd be willing to argue that beyond the premise, they're not even in the same genre.)

(Also, I still stand by liking Stella C3. Having a series in the nebulously defined moe/military "genre" that was more about character introspection was just what I was looking for.)

Yeah, I didn't think C3 was all that bad. Got kind of dark in the middle which made for an interesting change of pace.

Well i was talking about the initial premise , not what it becomes

---------------------
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - 04

Just started this myself, only three episodes in, but I like what I've seen so far. Gotta ask, why'd they turn Taiga into a Master Detective?

Man reading what came out today I guess that's two days I have nothing to watch. I lost interest in Hunter x Hunter and Majin Bone. Might eventually come back to the former once more episodes of the current arc are going on. But yeah. Maybe wednesday will have good shows.

survivor

Banned
Glasslip 1

Not sure why you would be worried about cats attacking chicken. Once they are past a certain size, wild cats won't bother with them. Besides, not sure why putting them in a coop is cruel or whatever, it's just a place where they gonna sleep at during the night. Also taking care of chicken inside your house is terrible, cleaning up after their mess is a nightmare. Anyway, fairly average writing setting up for lots of love triangles I'd imagine, will see how long I can tolerate it.

Barakamon 1

Pretty nice surprise, really impressed with the visuals way above my expectations, hopefully can keep it consistent for most of the show. The comedy also worked surprisingly well like the scene after the end credits.

Ao Haru Ride 1

That bread buying scene was some lazy writing. The worker that got caught her was right beside them when Futaba paid for the food so how did she not even hear the conversation? Then after she raised a scene, how did the other worker that was on the ladder not hear the commotion and just turn her head to see what's happening and resolve the issue? I know the entire point is to setup Mabuchi as a hero, but at least put some effort into writing something decent.

The watercolour backgrounds from the first 5 mins were really well done, hope to see that style more but I feel like it will be contained for flashbacks or special moments.

I think that working in certain entertainment industries automatically make it such that even if people working on something are aware of the more complex problems in a subject they are dealing with, the easier choice is always to not directly address it and offer low hanging fruits or some sort of subversion instead. In the end, all entertainment is pandering of some sort, and exclusion of audiences has a financial cost, even if those audiences are undesirable.

This is not a defense of anything, but stating how things generally are. I think many of us wish it were different, but it takes truly brave people to take a step to confront an undesirable audience and risk turning them away while trying to send a positive message. I feel this problem is pretty common in comics, manga, anime, mainstream blockbusters, etc. In some cultures things progress faster than others, so when there is a progression slant in general, it makes it easier for entertainment to tag the message along and go with the flow. In Japan I think the social culture is still pretty behind with trends.
Yeah, I get that there are social limitations at work.
lol , all the cast is chasing treasures hidden at various places in a gigantic island and all those treasures are protected by traps.

It's not obvious since i use the japanese naming , but the title is " Nanana Hidden treasure "

So i ask , what were you thinking , tenumi ?
Could it be ?

I was vague on purpose :p
I don't know you that well, but it appears you are playing dumb.
Pretty good second episode , featuring new characters and A TRAP ? wait ;..this episode had multiples TRAPS ,

Edit: A quick search found me this clip. What the fuck.

Just started this myself, only three episodes in, but I like what I've seen so far. Gotta ask, why'd they turn Taiga into a Master Detective?

I just finished ep 5 and i don't know yet ... but so far i don't dislike this version of taiga.

------------
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - 05

How many lies can you tell in a day ? That will be my question for tonight.

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2005.jpg

This picture could be used in so many situations

Questionnable start for the episode, but that was probably to kick this arc into gear.
Followed by more backstory on the MC.I must say that this is kinda ironic BUT i'm willing to wait untill that jewel time bomb explode on the face of the MC later ( you can totally tell it's going to happen ) .
The last part was alright , if a little dull . Loving the " so it was floor , then "
Priceless

I'm not sure if the MC is confident or not ....
Or just if he is reckless ? It's not like he hasn't the skill taught already to deal in those situation , so why does it seems like he is not working at 100ù of his habilities ? They better have a good explanation for this is store too.

I'm beginning to have large expectations for the rest of this show. Hopefully this will deliver.

NomarTyme

Ao Haru Ride 1

That bread buying scene was some lazy writing. The worker that got caught her was right beside them when Futaba paid for the food so how did she not even hear the conversation? Then after she raised a scene, how did the other worker that was on the ladder not hear the commotion and just turn her head to see what's happening and resolve the issue? I know the entire point is to setup Mabuchi as a hero, but at least put some effort into writing something decent.

The watercolour backgrounds from the first 5 mins were really well done, hope to see that style more but I feel like it will be contained for flashbacks or special moments.

Yeah you're so right. That was hilariously bad.

I watch anime with 1 irl friend, not friendS. We have another that might watch a couple of shows. But I have yet to watch a show that I didn't have to prewatch before them

Oh shit how could I forget Leafa, I guess my brain was switched off.

But seriously that Gif is so much hilarious now. Sorry Leafa your tears will always be remembered.

waifuwednesday to be replaced by mechamondays.

we did it, corvo, we did it

Can't I have both? Variety is the spice of life, right

I watch anime with 1 irl friend, not friendS. We have another that might watch a couple of shows. But I have yet to watch a show that I didn't have to prewatch before them

No. Never pre-watch.

Immediately get hyped at the idea of a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta anime and jump the gun.

Hugstable

Banned

I think the only anime I've watched with someone before was Gurren Lagann and Steins;Gate with my older brother. Gurren Lagann I prewatched before, but Steins;Gate we both went in blind at the same time.

I don't know you that well, but it appears you are playing dumb.
I am. i thought this was obvious since i'm talking about Two different things in that sentence.
Edit: A quick search found me this clip. What the fuck.
There is another scene MUCH later in this episode that involve a classroom full of traps.
( sorry that was the best i could find on youtube in such a short notice).
My point is that there was multiple traps ( the thing , not the character types ) and i used that word with 1 trap ( the scene you found ) to make a connexion to blur the lines , it was misleading on purpose, yes but i still don't understand why i must stop talking about it when that wasn't even the point i wanted to make. I don't even stay on that issue in my post.Heck i had the time to post my impressions on ep 3 and i didn't talk about it
It's one character in a sea of many and i just used that when i gave an impression on the episode where that information was revealed. No need to call me out like that

Why is that? Is Nanana a fanservice-ridden series or somethin'?
Because it appears to be rather casually transphobic.
I am. i thought this was obvious since i'm talking about Two different things in that sentence.

There is another scene MUCH later in this episode that involve a classroom full of traps.
( sorry that was the best i could find on youtube in such a short notice).
My point is that there was multiple traps ( the thing , not the character types ) and i used that word with 1 trap ( the scene you found ) to make a connexion to blur the lines , it was misleading on purpose, yes but i still don't understand why i must stop talking about it when that wasn't even the point i wanted to make. I don't even stay on that issue in my post.Heck i had the time to post my impressions on ep 3 and i didn't talk about it
It's one character in a sea of many and i just used that when i gave an impression on the episode where that information was revealed. No need to call me out like that
You were being an ass to Tenumi.

I wish I had open minded friends, they still refer to anime as cartoons :|.

Did they watch anime as kids/early teens? Do they enjoy watching action? Do they watch tv regularly? If so do what I did and introduce them to anime with Attack on Titan. Then from there it's basically similar shit until you can move on to more anime shit.

I think with my friends the order was Attack on Titan, then Samurai Champloo, then Cowboy Bebop, then Eden of the East, then Gurren Lagann, then Psycho-Pass, then Steins;Gate and bla bla bla. I think I might show him Katanagatari. I tried Tiger and Bunny but I realize now it's too slow a show for him and that the second half has a noticeable drop in quality. Heck I still have to watch Yamato 2199 with him. And he genuinely liked the episodes we've seen.

If they don't watch tv/movies regularly though then it might be a lost cause to even try.

Argevollen 1

God, that was so boring. The 3D sucks, the animation is pretty spotty and weird at places. Slow ass robots too. Just bland.

Branduil

It's a shame that something like Nanana's Buried Treasure would air in the same programming block that once had Wandering Son.

That programming block has also aired Black Rock Shooter, Guilty Crown, and Fractale, LOL. It's the actual quality shows with mature sensibilities that are rare on the timeblock these days.

CorvoSol

I guess tomorrow night will be Kuttsukiboshi for the friends and we'll finally grasp what the hubbub is about for Arjuna 9

You're watching both of those in the same night?

Do you need someone to check in afterward and see how you're doing?

Man I don't know how you guys manage to double dose some of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom