• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Rumbling Hearts 01

Time for another watchbet with Mike...

So we have a confession in the first 10 minutes, a kiss by the end of the first episode and a jealous friend. Why do I get the feeling this is going to end badly? School Days has ruined everything for me.

I don't know what this bet was for, but you lost.

I'm talking about 4-cour showing, that's basically unheard for anime that's not airing in morning or something like that.

The Monogatari series may be made up of three seasons, with six LNs each, but the current adaptations have already gone past 4-cours. There's still Hana coming this month, Kizu still to be released, and the final set of novels are still supposed to be getting an anime adaptation in the future.

Koyomi onii-chan > Tatsuya onii-sama

I'm really intrigued by the universe in Mahouka. You have Onii-sama's family (especially his Aunt), the Ten-Master Clans, the military, the school and the terrorist groups. I'm hooked.
Don't forget the military and the whole asia alliance , the hong kong gangs and a bunch of other stuff
The universe is damn big and filled with potential.

Pretty sure there hasn't been modern LN adaptation that ever got 50 episode adaptation, not sure why you would hoping, especially for midnight showing.
There is a first for everything.

But
Tina is pretty much clueless and always making bad assumptions
lol
The parasite was weakened and driven out of its host but not dead

So you're telling me that
the parasite was driven out , not dead but didn't possess anyone else afterward ?
I read that part last week yet i don't think i'm confused by the timeline of events.
As for Tina , she's not at fault , trying to process tatsuya always lead people to the wrong conclusion, just like with ichijou masaki , mistaking tatsuya habilities after seeing it.
Everyone is guilty of this.
In tina case , tatsuya was trying to trick her several times so YOU BET she didn't reach the right conclusion.

I just realized that kotaku guy really likes to say "deconstruct tropes" or anything about tropes to make his argument over an anime. That phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I'm starting to empathize with the usual people here that cringe whenever the term "deconstruction" is used.

TUSR

Banned
Mahouka spoilers galore here. Praise Onii-sama.

I tried to wiki a bunch of Mahouka stuff but there wasn't too much to go on except major plot points. I should just read the LN since I love the show so much.

Hanayamata - 05

Hanayamata%20-%2005.jpg

*blushes*

It's a declalaration of love for
Yosakoi

Tsundere is trying to fight but It's no USE ! You can't resist that smile !
You can tell me that this encounter with manager and professor won't result in something and I won't believe you...it's going to happen.

Overall great episode. A goal is set , the club is on the starting line All that's left is thet fifth girl in the OP

fertygo

The Monogatari series may be made up of three seasons, with six LNs each, but the current adaptations have already gone past 4-cours. There's still Hana coming this month, Kizu still to be released, and the final set of novels are still supposed to be getting an anime adaptation in the future.

Koyomi onii-chan > Tatsuya onii-sama

My language isn't the best, but sure you know what I'm saying..

There's big difference in planning episode number for new adaptation and with making more after getting a success.
There is a first for everything.
Mahouka came from the same publisher that also publish SAO, Index and Accel World LN.. all of those title adaptation got 2 cour adaptation. Sound like that's the standard for their higher profile adaptation for me.

Defuser

Pretty sure there hasn't been modern LN adaptation that ever got 50 episode adaptation, not sure why you would hoping, especially for midnight showing.

There is Index and Index season II which in total 48 episodes. You can bet your sweet ass there will be a season 3, J.C.Staff ain't gonna let their cash cow milk go sour if they're not touching it for a while after what happen to Shana. The Index novels have enough material for 3 more seasons.

Fireblend

Banned
I just want to say Barakamon is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime in recent memory. Introduced it to my gf over the weekend and she loved it (she really hasn't gotten into any show since Toradora/Lucky Star). Good stuff! The konomon section had us in tears.

Also I gave up on Akame Ga Kill. Can't believe I made it this far, I must be starving for entertainment.

Tenumi

Banned
First things first, something I forgot from my Dragonball watch yesterday. Presented without comment.

Moving on....

Digimon Adventure: 14 - 20

These episodes encompassed the acquisition of the Tags and Crests for the Chosen Children. In addition, we had quite a bit of character development overall, most of all through Taichi. After he found his Crest, he forced Greymon to evolve through any means neccisary, resulting in SkullGreymon, a demonic corruption of an evolution. Eventually however, Taichi was able to use his Courage to save the rest of the children, and Greymon properly evolved into MetalGreymon.

The villian of this arc, Etemon, was ultimately rather forgetful. He didn't draw the same kind of terror that Devimon did. Devimon was a hard act to follow, however. He ended up facing the children only once or twice, dying after MetalGreymon's first apperance.

With Etemon defeated, Taichi and Agumon have disappeared. Where have they ended up? You'll find out in a special episode review, next time!

I thought Mahouka would do better (guess have to wait for the bluray numbers). Hope it sells better so I can get a S2 of Onii-sama

S2 will be more determined by Ascii Media Works and their publishing trends moreso than disc sales. If they feel this property could sell more books and find companies willing to fund it (it's good for Aniplex thus far, so they'd take the revenue), S2 will happen. Look at the bigger picture.

There is Index and Index season II which in total 48 episodes. You can bet your sweet ass there will be a season 3, J.C.Staff ain't gonna let their cash cow milk go sour if they're not touching it for a while after what happen to Shana. The Index novels have enough material for 3 more seasons.

This is a hilarious post. JC Staff is contracted by the rest of the committee for the To Aru series as they were for Shana. It's Geneon/Warner's decision, not theirs. Those are the companies making/losing money on these properties. (Also depends on what Ascii Media Works wants to do too)

Jex

Noragami OAD ep 2

Why did BONES have to pick this section to be animated? That almost like saying they aren't gonna do a season 2 and just showing the aftermath of a potential season 2.

Well, I'm pretty sure they're never going to do a S2 so they're just animating something that'll be fone.

Digimon Adventure: 14 - 20

These episodes encompassed the acquisition of the Tags and Crests for the Chosen Children. In addition, we had quite a bit of character development overall, most of all through Taichi. After he found his Crest, he forced Greymon to evolve through any means neccisary, resulting in SkullGreymon, a demonic corruption of an evolution. Eventually however, Taichi was able to use his Courage to save the rest of the children, and Greymon properly evolved into MetalGreymon.

The villian of this arc, Etemon, was ultimately rather forgetful. He didn't draw the same kind of terror that Devimon did. Devimon was a hard act to follow, however. He ended up facing the children only once or twice, dying after MetalGreymon's first apperance.

With Etemon defeated, Taichi and Agumon have disappeared. Where have they ended up? You'll find out in a special episode review, next time!

Etemon might not have held up in comparison to Devimon (and he is sort of the filler guy to pass time in between Devimon and Vamdemon), but he's too amusing and weird to really be forgettable in my mind. He's fairly unique as far as villains go, even if it is in a pathetic sort of way. Overall the arc is probably the weakest of the series, but it's still a fairly fun one with some good moments.

Friends don't let friends watch anime.
I make my friends watch anime. They look at me with a pleading face, not understanding why we can't watch a superior western show. Their contorted faces as they writhe in pain at the senpais and kohais please me. Why is there a cat lady there? What's the purpose of having a little girl who is actually a 1000 year old dragon but apparently never matured her personality?

No questions. Just anime.

Etemon might not have held up in comparison to Devimon (and he is sort of the filler guy to pass time in between Devimon and Vamdemon), but he's too amusing and weird to really be forgettable in my mind. He's fairly unique as far as villains go, even if it is in a pathetic sort of way. Overall the arc is probably the weakest of the series, but it's still a fairly fun one with some good moments.

Yeh was about to say that as well. Etemon surely didn't strike me as forgettable.

Also... Vamdemon? That's his English name? -_-
The German Myotismon sounds better. That said, I just checked and apparently Vamdemon is the original Japanese name, too *shrug*

Yeh was about to say that as well. Etemon surely didn't strike me as forgettable.

Also... Vamdemon? That's his English name? -_-
The German Myotismon sounds better. That said, I just checked and apparently Vamdemon is the original Japanese name, too *shrug*

Vamdemon is the original name, and that's the one that I've always found to suit the character the best. It gives him more of an aura compared to the dub name.

CorvoSol

I'm starting to empathize with the usual people here that cringe whenever the term "deconstruction" is used.

The last time I used the term in here was in discussion of something that actually was meant to be one, though. Although I was joking with some friends the other day that you can make anything sound smart by saying it is a deconstruction of something.

Clov

I see all the frames have been hunted now:
http://haruhi.com

Is something supposed to happen after it loads all the frames? For me it just got super-laggy and then crashed Flash.

The last time I used the term in here was in discussion of something that actually was meant to be one, though. Although I was joking with some friends the other day that you can make anything sound smart by saying it is a deconstruction of something.

I'd honestly love to learn more about it, since I only got to study it briefly in my literary theory course when we looked a bit at Derrida's work. Before I came here I actually thought I at least had the basics down, but apparently there's much more to it than I thought.

Oddly enough we didn't touch it at all across the two courses I took that dealt with postmodernism directly.

Link Man

Banned
Barakamon 2

ibw93kEePSsaRZ.jpg

So pretty big tone change here. It was still enjoyable, but I'm still a little disappointed.

That stinger, though, was that a dig at Tokyo Ghoul?

cajunator

Banned
Hehe. Keep watching ;P

Hm... Anybody here going to Otakon?

Originally for cinemas and not TV though.

Ah I see. but it was still kind of a risky thing to show kids, even if they know better.
I mean a hand through glass can scar a kid for life or lose a limb.

Man, the tracking on my CCS order hasn't updated at all since the initial e-mail. Hopefully this is like those other times where it just never updated till it was delivered.

Or i'll cry.

My tracking says its here in town. I was tempted to break into UPS and get it early but I dont like the idea of jail. If it doesnt arrive today I shall raise 7 types of hell but my local delivery quality has been spectacular.

Rumbling Hearts 01

Time for another watchbet with Mike...

So we have a confession in the first 10 minutes, a kiss by the end of the first episode and a jealous friend. Why do I get the feeling this is going to end badly? School Days has ruined everything for me.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh.
Yeah this one...

I'm fairly sure that even multiple rewinds didn't help me understand the ending exposition fully. lol

Wait for episode 11 !

It remains similar with 14 "stand alone" cases and 12 episodes devoted to the main plot ("complex"). I'd give it a shot until episode 4 where the main case begins, maybe it will grab you there.

They're not quite done yet !

Gatchaman Crowds 01

Space r̶a̶p̶i̶s̶t̶ Zordon recruits a new teenager with attitude by shoving his hand into her chest and other suggestive imagery. -_- The newly recruited Hajime does indeed have quite an attitude and quickly makes herself a nuisance to the rest of Power Rangers.

Eh I've heard some good things about it but this was just not my cup of coffee. Can't quite put my finger on it but the character designs rub me the wrong way too, the bikini clad girl didn't help. Will give it another episode.

JJ gave me Kyubei vibes.

Hajime is a genki goddess but she might be too much for some people. Thats ok.

Rumbling Hearts 02

Haruka's sister is great.

I'm getting serious School Day vibes, Narumi is going way too fast for anime relationships. Well at least he doesn't have Makoto's attitude and seems like a nice guy.

Everything is going great so far! He's got good friends, he's a nice guy who buys presents for jealous girl who show up out of the blue to say it's her birthday and he likes to make his girlfriend wait for him. Nothing could possibly go... oh... WTF?!

Aaaaaaand.....there it goes
The melodrama train is leaving the station. Ahead are tears, tears, screaming, tears, crying, tears, backstabbing, tears, hate, and bad art.
Enjoy!

Same, well with the exception that I didn't end up liking it a lot because of these flaws. I mean it's visually a masterpiece, no doubt, but the visuals are also pretty much all I enjoyed about it. (Though I can't quite recall how the soundtrack was right now).

I'lll refresh your memory.
It was tribal and iconic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wv4pFodIQ

Spice and Wolf - 09

Well would you look at that, a Moeblob shepherd! Now am I missing s.th. or shouldn't it actually be completely ridiculous that this rather fragile looking person offers to protect our protagonists from Wolf attacks? Worse, he's actually interested and they keep on talking as if she'd make a great bodyguard and what not.

Uhm excuse me, am I looking at the same thing here? Aren't the sheep going to attract Wolfs in the first place? What can she possibly do against a pack of Wolves? Her small dog would hardly even be intimidating...

Now of course the show makes it obvious that she's secretly some powerful wizard or s.th., which explains why she's able to do all this in the first place. But that has nothing to do with the laughable suggestion of taking her seriously for any kind of protection as Lawrence doesn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom