• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait is kotaku an anime site now?
Kotaku is a site about weird japanese culture, tumblr gifs, anime discussion, photoshop competitions, links to deviantart of the same artist who makes cartoon characters into pretty boy hipsters, brony culture, forced sexism, etc...

And once in a full moon they talk about video games and have actual articles.

The only thing that Brynhildr review got right was that the ending scene made no sense. There is no logistical way it could have turned out like that. Otherwise I thought it was a largely average show.

JoeFu

Banned
Hahahahahaha Brynhildr was amazing for all the wrong reasons. I really enjoyed it but uh it was pretty dumb.

Always love when Kotaku anime review drop though. Thank you guys for linking them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Trivia: According to Nisio, he never plan to publish Nise, he only publish it after the editor force him to, that's why the qualitiy is questionable, and the fanservice is over the top. (he could be lying though)

if i haven't read Kizu, i sure as hell won't remember Episode :p

Does explain why it feels so off.

It's a good general lesson to learn though Strike Witches has a lot more to offer you if you watch it right, and I'm not just talking cute girls!

Looking back at Vividred, while I enjoyed it I can see how them playing it safe as they did could irk some people. I can't be too down on the show though as it didn't really do anything offensively bad and it did lead me into Strike Witches...

Does Strike Witches offer a compelling story with a good sense of adventure and character development? Do the villains actually pose a sense of genuine threat?

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with a show having fanservice. I just don't like the potential for really good and interesting stories being thrown away just for the sake of more fanservice! And the plot description to Strike Witches feels like it's leaning more to the fanservice side rather than the character development side. So it's probably for the best that I avoid it and not upset anybody with angry impressions.

http://kotaku.com/brynhildr-in-the-darkness-plays-with-cliches-to-make-a-1616194879

/dead

Who the flying fuck put this man in charge on reviewing anime? He doesn't even like it ironically!

#hipster

This guy also wrote a good review for the VN: "If My Heart Had Wings". Now I'm scared to read it.

_hekk05

Banned
Well, I will say this; I made it all the way through Brynhildr, but dropped NGNL after four episodes.

B-b-but I liked NGNL. Baka

The anime nicely brought out some of the ridiculousness, but falls short at expressing the line of thinking during the games, so it has its goods and its bads I suppose.

TUSR

Banned
B-b-but I liked NGNL. Baka

The anime nicely brought out some of the ridiculousness, but falls short at expressing the line of thinking during the games, so it has its goods and its bads I suppose.

could sora out onii-sama onii-sama?

TUSR

Banned
Your line doesn't make sense.
Sora main weapon is his poker face and his hability to see the schemes of others.
The smart one is shiro

could blank out onii-sama onii-sama?

I am generally all for the lewd, but even I draw the line somewhere. But if it was just the lewd I would have kept with it, I just found it kind of dumb. The MC rubbed me the wrong way and the "game" concept gave me bad flashbacks of Rio Rainbow Gate.

I honestly felt the same way after the first couple of episodes.

_hekk05

Banned
could sora out onii-sama onii-sama?

Sora has a kawaii imouto (but not blood related) who's good at thinking and using his wits, likes fanservice and has over the top reactions. The imouto is completely open to fanservice and in fact has the same interests as the onii (kemonomimis Hau~)

Onii-sama is a
product of an experiment
and a
failed magician
who is incapable of all except one emotion (imouto rabu rabu) , is limited to certain magicks, all of which are OP as shit, and is a genius AND a ninja to boot. Has a deredere imouto (blood related) who freezes things when you piss her off.

Hmmmm

Edit: Sure, Tatsuya is OP, and his trump card magic is ridiculously OP, but Miyuki's trump card magic is scarier.

TUSR

Banned
Sora has a kawaii imouto (but not blood related) who's good at thinking and using his wits, likes fanservice and has over the top reactions. The imouto is completely open to fanservice and in fact has the same interests as the onii (kemonomimis Hau~)

Onii-sama is a
product of an experiment
and a
failed magician
who is incapable of all except one emotion (imouto rabu rabu) , is limited to certain magicks, all of which are OP as shit, and is a genius AND a ninja to boot. Has a deredere imouto (blood related) who freezes things when you piss her off.

Hmmmm

Quite an apt description of onii-sama. I wish I was at home, I have the perfect picture for this.

Sniper, ninja, assassin, genius, etc.

could blank out onii-sama onii-sama?
Not even tatsuya can beat blank at a game.
i'm 100% serious.

Onii-sama is a
product of an experiment
and a
failed magician

Hmmmm

Edit: Sure, Tatsuya is OP, and his trump card magic is ridiculously OP, but Miyuki's trump card magic is scarier.

You haven't even told them the most broken thing about tasuya and miyuki the fact that
when they combine their magic together,
it works across dimensions !
Can't do more OP than that.

_hekk05

Banned
Not even tatsuya can beat blank at a game.
i'm 100% serious.

You haven't even told them the most broken thing about tasuya and miyuki the fact that
when they combine their magic together,
it works across dimensions !
Can't do more OP than that.

Its less of
combining magic
and more of
releasing their seals
. Miyuki
seals Tatsuya's extra OP abilities using her own magic, so they're both operating at less than 100%.
. Remember that Tatsuya's
elemental sight
is already capable of
directly reading from the informational dimension and the mere fact that you observe something means that you change it (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle). Mizuki can do the same with her special eyes but can be damaged if precautions aren't taken

The only mentioned case of
combining magic
in the Mahouka universe is the
Saegusa twins Kasumi and Izumi

Defuser

Noragami OAD ep 2

Why did BONES have to pick this section to be animated? That almost like saying they aren't gonna do a season 2 and just showing the aftermath of a potential season 2.

_hekk05

Banned
I thought Mahouka would do better (guess have to wait for the bluray numbers). Hope it sells better so I can get a S2 of Onii-sama

I would look at the final arc's disc sales. Seriously most of the season is just laying the ground work, which is why I worried when they announced it was only 26 eps, since the source material was quite boring too.

At least something exciting happens and it goes out with a bang

Should have given us 50 eps for the entire first year

So after starting Detective Conan 425, I found out that I somehow missed episodes 176-178. 425 summed it up and I am sure it wont affect my understanding of the story, but should I go back and watch them after 425?

You probably should. That story is really good, and it's also fairly important for the story. I'm actually kind of surprised that you could go past it and not notice until 425.

Its less of
combining magic
and more of
releasing their seals
. Miyuki
seals Tatsuya's extra OP abilities using her own magic, so they're both operating at less than 100%.
. Remember that Tatsuya's
elemental sight
is already capable of
directly reading from the informational dimension and the mere fact that you observe something means that you change it (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle). Mizuki can do the same with her special eyes but can be damaged if precautions aren't taken

The only mentioned case of
combining magic
in the Mahouka universe is the
Saegusa twins Kasumi and Izumi

You're right. i'm aware of that, it's not like the author pulled that out of nowhere since as you said the signs were there :
elemental sight, the seals and so on
but goddamit , miyuki & tatsuya
destroyed a being that was in another dimension

And i'm 100% fine with that as you said , not a combining , but more
seals release

I need to read even more mahouka.

_hekk05

Banned
You're right. i'm aware of that, it's not like the author pulled that out of nowhere since as you said the signs were there :
elemental sight, the seals and so on
but goddamit , miyuki & tatsuya
destroyed a being that was in another dimension

And i'm 100% fine with that as you said , not a combining , but more
seals release

I need to read even more mahouka.

Actually they didn't. Tatsuya
could launch an attack on it that strips it of its strength, but not kill it. Remember pixie was weakened by his magic.
Miyuki's magic
can probably destroy its consciousness, but not destroy the thing outright.
(this one I'm not sure of)

I'm pretty sure only
Mikihiko or Ancient Magic users can seal and/or outright destroy them

I would look at the final arc's disc sales. Seriously most of the season is just laying the ground work, which is why I worried when they announced it was only 26 eps, since the source material was quite boring too.

So true.

It would have been so much better that way

Actually they didn't. Tatsuya
could launch an attack on it that strips it of its strength, but not kill it. Remember pixie was weakened by his magic.
Miyuki's magic
can probably destroy its consciousness, but not destroy the thing outright.
(this one I'm not sure of)

I'm pretty sure only
Mikihiko or Ancient Magic users can seal and/or outright destroy them

Pretty sure that the
parasite control over his host was annihilated by what tina percieved as "lunar magic"
I'm referencing to what happenning in the forest BTW
-------------
Hanayamata - 04
Hanayamata%20-%2004.jpg

Of course you can
Transfert student is still recruiting like a suikoden hero and this cause extra ripples that affect everyone else. One of them is "princess" that was a a turning point of her life and decided to prioritize friendship.
I'm not complaining.

Club member GET

jbug617

Banned

I'm really intrigued by the universe in Mahouka. You have Onii-sama's family (especially his Aunt), the Ten-Master Clans, the military, the school and the terrorist groups. I'm hooked.

fertygo

Pretty sure there hasn't been modern LN adaptation that ever got 50 episode adaptation, not sure why you would hoping, especially for midnight showing.

Pretty sure there hasn't been modern LN adaptation that ever got 50 episode adaptation, not sure why you would hoping, especially for midnight showing.

What about the Monogatari series? All the current episodes from the series add up to over 50 episodes, and there's still anime episodes coming.

http://kotaku.com/knights-of-sidonia-is-a-mecha-anime-with-a-realistic-tw-1603375533
When it comes down to it, Knights of Sidonia is a clear deconstruction of space operas like Macross and Gundam.
Watching how Nagate and the rest of the cast react to the deconstruction of these tropes is half the fun of the series.
Knights of Sidonia can be too heavy handed in its storytelling—especially when it comes to trying to build emotional moments. Characters are introduced, given an episode of development and then killed off for a cheap emotional reaction. This is so obviously done that by just a few episodes in, the moment characters get a backstory they might as well be waving a giant flag while screaming that they are about to die. The first time a character we get to know dies, it's shocking—further setting up the realism the story is trying to create. But from that point on, it's just a trick that is reused far too often to have any great impact.

But the oddest single ham-fisted bit of storytelling is when a character is given a character development scene after her death via flashback—like the show is saying, “Oh, she died and this is why you should feel bad.” It was not the least bit effective emotionally and fell completely flat.
At least the review isn't 100% wrong.

_hekk05

Banned
Pretty sure that the
parasite control over his host was annihilated by what tina percieved as "lunar magic"
I'm referencing to what happenning in the forest BTW

But
Tina is pretty much clueless and always making bad assumptions
lol
The parasite was weakened and driven out of its host but not dead

I'm really intrigued by the universe in Mahouka. You have Onii-sama's family (especially his Aunt), the Ten-Master Clans, the military, the school and the terrorist groups. I'm hooked.

Yes its very intriguing. You've got the 10 master clans, the other 18 clans, the 100 clans, the magic research laboratories. It's a whole bunch of politics and espionage and sabotage,

Its not a matter of hoping. Mahouka as a LN is very front heavy. At least with 50 episodes, it can build up a universe as the base and give us plenty of action, instead of 2 seasons where second season may require a knowledge recap

fertygo

What about the Monogatari series? All the current episodes from the series add up to over 50 episodes, and there's still anime episodes coming.

I'm talking about 4-cour showing, that's basically unheard for anime that's not airing in morning or something like that.

I just realized that kotaku guy really likes to say "deconstruct tropes" or anything about tropes to make his argument over an anime. That phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

fertygo

Its not a matter of hoping. Mahouka as a LN is very front heavy. At least with 50 episodes, it can build up a universe as the base and give us plenty of action, instead of 2 seasons where second season may require a knowledge recap
Yeah but its to be expected its wouldn't got more than 2 cour considering the other high property adaptation not got more than that too, I'm just saying that's how the business work.. Not even Gundam show will automatically got 50 eps now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom